NCIS in hot water

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

NCIS in hot water

Post by Kitsune »

Not really a fan of them myself after a person situation with them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... id=rssfeed
Senior officer, NCIS agent are among those arrested in Navy bribery scandal
By Craig Whitlock, Published: October 19

The U.S. Navy is being rocked by a bribery scandal that federal investigators say has reached high into the officer corps and exposed a massive overbilling scheme run by an Asian defense contractor that provided prostitutes and other kickbacks.

Among those arrested on corruption charges are a senior agent for the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and a Navy commander who escaped Cambodia’s “killing fields” as a child only to make a triumphant return to the country decades later as the skipper of a U.S. destroyer. The investigation has also ensnared a Navy captain who was relieved of his ship’s command this month in Japan.

The chief executive of the Singapore-based defense contractor, Glenn Defense Marine Asia, and another company official were arrested last month at a San Diego harborside hotel after federal investigators lured them to the United States by arranging a sham meeting with Navy officials, according to court records and people involved in the case.

The unfolding investigation is shaping up as the biggest fraud case in years for the Navy. Federal prosecutors allege that Glenn Defense Marine, which has serviced and supplied Navy ships and submarines at ports around the Pacific for a quarter-century, routinely overbilled for everything from tugboats to fuel to sewage disposal.

Investigators are still assessing the scope of the alleged fraud, but federal court records filed in San Diego cite a handful of episodes that alone exceeded $10 million. Since 2011, Glenn Defense Marine has been awarded Navy contracts worth more than $200 million. The company also services ships from several navies in Asia.

The U.S. military has never been immune from contracting scandals, but it is extremely rare for senior uniformed commanders to face corruption charges.

“Allegations of bribery and kickbacks involving naval officers, contracting personnel and NCIS agents are unheard of,” said retired Adm. Gary Roughead, a former chief of naval operations who is a distinguished visiting fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

Roughead recalled meeting the chief executive of Glenn Defense Marine, Leonard Glenn Francis, nearly a decade ago while serving as commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet. He said he was unfamiliar with details of the investigation, but he called the allegations “extremely serious, disconcerting and surprising.”

According to court papers filed by federal prosecutors in San Diego, Francis and others in his company targeted Navy personnel serving in Asia and plied them with prostitutes, cash, luxury hotel rooms, plane tickets and, on one occasion last year, tickets to a Lady Gaga concert in Thailand.

In exchange, Francis sought inside information on ship deployments and pressed at least one high-ranking commander to steer aircraft carriers and other vessels to ports where his firm could easily overcharge the Navy for pierside services, the court documents allege.

Francis’s defense attorney, Edward Patrick Swan Jr., declined to comment on the allegations but said he expects the government will file additional charges.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Re: NCIS in hot water

Post by krakonfour »

First thought: Did the actors do something?
Second thought: Where the F does Kitsune get all these news reports from?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I am ex navy. . . .I also am a bit prejudice against NCIS
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Well, we now have the next plotline arc for next season of NCIS. :P
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

God I hope that show would just end already.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Thanas wrote:God I hope that show would just end already.
Just to be clear, I am not a fan of the real NCIS
The TV show may or may not be entertaining
Thomas Paine

Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I would rather just about every long-running procedural pop out of existence. Or I did wish this. Now I just take the healthier path of not watching them.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Kitsune wrote:
Just to be clear, I am not a fan of the real NCIS
The TV show may or may not be entertaining
Sadly, it is not. It's CSI inserted into a Navy police theme. And they just spam episodes of it everywhere.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Better than this cancerous glut of reality television infesting every fucking channel. Remember when History Channel had history? Or Discovery and TLC had scientific and athropology documentaries?
Truth fears no trial.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Tanasinn wrote:Better than this cancerous glut of reality television infesting every fucking channel. Remember when History Channel had history? Or Discovery and TLC had scientific and athropology documentaries?
History tried to expand to History and History International
Discovery tried to expand to Learning Channel, Science Channel, and Discovery-Times Channels
I think a factor is that they grew too fast
Thomas Paine

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Tanasinn wrote:Remember when History Channel had history?
'history', not history.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I should gone into contracting, that's where all the fun is as long as you don't get caught.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.