Patriot battery locks on to F-16, F-16 shoots

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Patriot battery locks on to F-16, F-16 shoots

Post by Enlightenment »

From the BBC:
In the second friendly-fire incident of its kind so far, US military sources say one of their F-16 warplanes fired on a battery of Patriot missiles in Iraq after the battery's radar locked on to the plane. No one was injured.
:twisted: Now that's how to deal with trigger-happy friendly-fire units. If that doesn't encorage the Patriot crews to be more careful about what they shoot at, nothing will.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That's... bad.

But serves the Patriots right, naughty missile batteries!
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Advertisment for patriot missile(When you`re not sure shoot it anyway) :? :lol:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

although i do have to say, the patriots are actually doing a good job of shooting down incoming missiles this time.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

If I'd been the pilot I would have done the exact same thing in that situation.
Supermod
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Montcalm wrote:Advertisment for patriot missile(When you`re not sure shoot it anyway) :? :lol:
That's how air defenses work when on high alert. The batteries have maybe two minutes to deal with incoming targets. They haven't said what caused the Tornado shoot down. But I'd bet a failed IFF or a plane outside its assigned corridor before I'd go with an error on the ground.

That sort of thing happens all the times in exercises, course no one generally dies. Even with the system working correctly 99.95% of the time, when you figure that several thousand sorties have been flown one aircraft down isn't that bad.

This incident was probably an equipment or pilot error; ESM should have told him it was friendly if he went to launch a HARM.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Sea Skimmer wrote:...before I'd go with an error on the ground.
Well, one time in the previous Gulf War, a Patriot launched itself and self-destructed itself after a few seconds flight time.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ted wrote:
Well, one time in the previous Gulf War, a Patriot launched itself and self-destructed itself after a few seconds flight time.
Stuff like that happens. Naval SAM's generally have pressurized water system that blast the rocket motor apart if it ignites accidentally. But that's not practical with towed launchers. I'm wondering if the launch and explode clear thing is actually a safety system to avoid the whole multi round launcher exploding and taking out part of the battery if a rocket motor ignites
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Ted wrote:
Stuff like that happens. Naval SAM's generally have pressurized water system that blast the rocket motor apart if it ignites accidentally. But that's not practical with towed launchers. I'm wondering if the launch and explode clear thing is actually a safety system to avoid the whole multi round launcher exploding and taking out part of the battery if a rocket motor ignites
It was a computer glitch that launched it, as far as the reports go. I dont think it was the motor lighting off.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Sea Skimmer wrote:That's how air defenses work when on high alert. The batteries have maybe two minutes to deal with incoming targets. They haven't said what caused the Tornado shoot down. But I'd bet a failed IFF or a plane outside its assigned corridor before I'd go with an error on the ground.
The US ADA people have more-or-less admitted fault and were ordered to give assurances to the Tornado detachment that this kind of thing wouldn't happen again.

There was nothing wrong with the Tornado or its flight path.
This incident was probably an equipment or pilot error; ESM should have told him it was friendly if he went to launch a HARM.
You don't seem to have the right end of the stick here. The Patriot battery locked its fire control radar onto the F-16 and the F-16 pilot deliberately HARMed the Patriot radar to protect himself. The F-16 pilot knew what he was shooting at just as much as he knew he didn't want to get killed.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Enlightenment wrote:
The US ADA people have more-or-less admitted fault and were ordered to give assurances to the Tornado detachment that this kind of thing wouldn't happen again.

Source?
You don't seem to have the right end of the stick here. The Patriot battery locked its fire control radar onto the F-16 and the F-16 pilot deliberately HARMed the Patriot radar to protect himself. The F-16 pilot knew what he was shooting at just as much as he knew he didn't want to get killed.
Generally the lest valuable asset is sacrificed in such situations. PAC-2/3 is over a billion dollars per battery, and HARM has a wide damage path. And a pilot can eject faster then he can lock on and fire a missile.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

The Patriot Battery crews are in need of some training. While I've not seen the RECCE portion of a Patriot Battery, it shouldn't be too awfully hard to discern between friendly and enemy aircraft.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

jegs2 wrote:The Patriot Battery crews are in need of some training. While I've not seen the RECCE portion of a Patriot Battery, it shouldn't be too awfully hard to discern between friendly and enemy aircraft.
Both are squares with track numbers on the radar screen
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:

Source?
There's this article from The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 97,00.html

which suggests that a software problem was at the root of Sunday's incident.
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-My-Own-Grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already! Screw history!" - Professor Farnsworth
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

RadiO wrote:There's this article from The Times:

Now i understand its Bill Gates and Microcraps fault :evil: :lol:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
jegs2 wrote:The Patriot Battery crews are in need of some training. While I've not seen the RECCE portion of a Patriot Battery, it shouldn't be too awfully hard to discern between friendly and enemy aircraft.
Both are squares with track numbers on the radar screen
With the IFF showing one group as friendlies.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Montcalm wrote:
RadiO wrote:There's this article from The Times:

Now i understand its Bill Gates and Microcraps fault :evil: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I doubt they use Windows for the Patriot batteries.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor