A suggestion

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Should editing stupid or inflammatory posts so as to deny making them be a bannable offense?

Yes--instantly, on first offense.
12%
Yes, if the poster does it on more than one occasion.
28%
Yes, but only if the poster has made a habit of it.
48%
No, unless the poster does it so much that other users start a banning poll.
No votes
No, never. This is not a serious enough offense to warrant banning.
12%

Total votes: 25

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

A suggestion

Post by RedImperator »

Since this issue is going to come up eventually, let me suggest a solution now:

The "Edit" button has been disabled in several forums because dishonest debators were using it to edit their posts to claim they never made a claim that was subsequently disproven. I'm sure, given enough time, that someone in this forum is going to say something that's going to get him flamed, and rather than apologize, defend his claim to the last, or simply slink away, he's going to edit his post and claim he never said it. Rather than disable the edit button, which is a huge pain in the ass, couldn't we simply toss whoever does that out of the politics forum? Does the board allow for banning users from specific public forums? And if not, could a mod just delete his posts or send his threads to the HOS? Or, perhaps, since editing a post so as to plausibly deny making an argument is arguably (no pun intended) the most dishonest thing you could do on a debate-based message board, could editing posts for such a reason simply be made a bannable offense?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

The "Edit" button has been disabled in several forums because dishonest debators were using it to edit their posts to claim they never made a claim that was subsequently disproven. I'm sure, given enough time, that someone in this forum is going to say something that's going to get him flamed, and rather than apologize, defend his claim to the last, or simply slink away, he's going to edit his post and claim he never said it.
It's already happened. Needless to say I think we should disable the edit button. That's something that will be decided down the road.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Maybe have a time limit on the edit.

It can be very useful for typos or adding things you forgot, or seeing errors in a long posting you have just done.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I like the idea of limiting time for editing, I often have to go back for typos.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Don't know if this forum has that time limit feature.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I voted for 1.

I also know exactly what brought this on, too. *HINT HINT* We're watching you, Koji. *HINT HINT*
Image Image
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Disable the edit function. It's fair, and spelling is for the weak, as a member here has in their sig. :wink:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Just kill the edit.
JADAFETWA
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

If there's a problem with dishonest debaters doing it, then it should be suspended until another problem with certain members arises.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:I voted for 1.

I also know exactly what brought this on, too. *HINT HINT* We're watching you, Koji. *HINT HINT*
Actually, I just brought it up because I'd gone back to edit a stupid typo and I realized that the Edit function probably wouldn't be up for that long. As far as I'm concerned, if you're so dishonest you're going to edit your own words to avoid criticism, SD.net has no use for you. Why should I suffer because someone else is a dishonest little shit?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I make way too many embarrasing typoes. I couldn't live without the edit button.

That said, maybe limiting the time will do.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

If the person was caught, the first time would be a temporary ban. Weaseling your way out of accountability for your own words like that is unacceptable and dishonest. The second time, there'd be a permanent ban. If you regret saying something, you should have the balls to own up and apologize for saying it.

If I had my way, that's how it'd be anyway. :)

That said, if this forum does have an editing time limit, I'd love to see it implemented on every forum. Ars Technica's boards have a 30-minute limit that seems to work quite well for the spelling and grammar freaks.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

3, options one and two will lead to too many arguments on what people edited with plenty of lies on both sides. If someone does it heavily it will become more apparent.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Vympel wrote:Don't know if this forum has that time limit feature.

Sorry, no joy as far as a time limit goes, it's either on or off.