Fukushima:Total Dead Zero/Total Sick Zero

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Fukushima:Total Dead Zero/Total Sick Zero

Post by Mr Bean »

At the end of the day this great nuclear disaster was anything but. Not because it was not serious but because even with all the incompetence the danger was not anywhere near as great as was feared.

You will hear in the Japan Times that twelve children have thyroid cancer in a headline. What you won't hear is that no heath professional on the ground believes they have anything to do with the incident.
The Age
The Age wrote:
Heard much about Fukushima lately? You know, the disaster that spread deadly contamination across Japan and spelt the end for the nuclear industry.

You should have, because recent authoritative reports have reached a remarkable conclusion about a supposedly "deadly" disaster. No one died, nor is likely to die, according to the most comprehensive assessments since the Fukushima nuclear plant was hit by a massive earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.

The accident competed for media space with the deaths of nearly 20,000 people in the magnitude 9.0 quake – 1000 times worse than the Christchurch quake – and tsunami, which wholly or partly destroyed more than a million buildings.

The nuclear workers were the living dead, we were told; hundreds of thousands would die if the plant exploded; even if that didn't happen, affected areas would be uninhabitable and residents' health would suffer for generations.
Advertisement

Instead, two independent international reports conclude that radiative material released from Fukushima's four damaged reactors, three of which melted down, has had negligible health impacts.

In February, the World Health Organisation reported there would be no noticeable increases in cancer rates for the overall population. A third of emergency workers were at some increased risk.

While infants in two localised hot spots were likely to have a 6 per cent relative increase in female breast cancer and 7 per cent relative increase in male leukaemia, WHO cautioned this was a small change. The lifetime risk of thyroid cancer, which is treatable, is only 0.75 per cent, so even in the worst-affected location it rose to only 1.25 per cent.

Now the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation has drawn on 80 scientists from 18 countries to produce a draft report that concludes: "Radiation exposure following the nuclear accident at Fukushima-Daiichi did not cause any immediate health effects. It is unlikely to be able to attribute any health effects in the future among the general public and the vast majority of workers."

The committee has had two years to build a fuller picture of radiation dosages (measured as mSv) and impacts. It finds most Japanese in the first and second years were exposed to lower doses from the accident than from natural background radiation's 2-3 mSv a year.

Also, "No radiation-related deaths or acute effects have been observed among nearly 25,000 workers involved at the accident site. Given the small number of highly exposed workers, it is unlikely that excess cases of thyroid cancer due to radiation exposure would be detectable."

Those workers, who were allowed a maximum short-term dose of 250 mSv, have been closely monitored. Of 167 exposed to more than the industry's recommended five-year limit of 100 mSv (a CT scan exposes patients to up to 10 mSv), 23 recorded 150-200 mSv, three 200-250 mSv and six up to 678 mSv, still short of the 1000 mSv single dosage that causes radiation sickness, or the accumulated exposure estimated to cause a fatal cancer years later in 5 per cent of people.

So, not even one case of radiation sickness to report.

A swift evacuation of 200,000 residents within a 20-kilometre radius of the plant helped protect them – WHO estimated most residents of Fukushima prefecture received doses of 1-10 mSv in the first year. By August 2011, however, the dose rate at the plant boundary was only 1.7 mSv a year.

The rapid decay of most of the radioactive material (iodine-131, which reduced to a 16th of its original activity in a month) also means the evacuated area has not been permanently blighted. Many residents have returned, although some areas have restricted entry until radiation drops below the 20 mSv-a-year threshold, expected in 2016-17.

Nor has the environment been devastated. The report says: "The exposures on both marine and terrestrial non-human biota were too low for observable acute effects."

The quake and tsunami damage is the real catastrophe.

About 1000 deaths have been attributed to evacuations. About 90 per cent were people older than 66, who suffered from the trauma of evacuation and living in shelters. Sadly, those of them who left areas where radiation was no greater than in naturally high background areas would have been better off staying.

Let's be clear, Fukushima was hit by a worst-case scenario: the world's fifth-most-powerful earthquake since 1900, a tsunami twice as high as the plant was built to withstand, and follow-up quakes of magnitudes 7.1 and 6.3. A Japanese commission of inquiry described it as a "man-made disaster" because of regulatory failure and lack of a safety culture.

This "perfect storm" hit a nuclear plant built to a 50-year-old design and no one died. Japan moved a few metres east during a three-minute quake and the local coastline subsided half a metre, but the 11 reactors operating in four nuclear power plants in the region all shut down automatically. None suffered significant damage. (The tsunami disabled Fukushima's cooling system.)

Yet such is the imbalance of dread to risk on matters nuclear that this accident was enough to turn public opinion and governments against nuclear power. Never mind that coal mining kills almost 6000 people a year, or that populations of coal-mining areas have death rates about 10 per cent higher than non-mining areas, or that coal emissions drive global warming.

And surely the fact that the more modern Onagawa nuclear plant was twice as close to the quake epicentre and shut down as designed, without incident, counts for something.

Japan struggled without 30 per cent of its generating capacity for almost two years before electing pro-nuclear Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in December. About 50 reactors are expected to restart within a year. Worldwide, more than 60 plants are being built and 300 are in the licensing process, the strongest growth since the 1970s.

Fukushima was serious, but it was not the end of the debate about nuclear power, nor should it be. And it's hardly an informed debate when the good news about smaller health impacts than anyone dared expect is so widely neglected.

John Watson is a senior writer.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/japans ... z2VNw41duv
Link to study 1 here PDF warning
Study 2 behind a paywall here

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fukushima:Total Dead Zero/Total Sick Zero

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I have said it before and I will say it again.
Fukushima should have been the ultimate Triumph of Nuclear power for the rest of the world.
Nuclear power proponents should have immediately gone on all forms of media to say "Here we have a nuclear power plant, that had piss poor safety run on it, the company involved was rather incompetent, it got hit by a massive Earthquake, and THEN a massive Tsunami, and the worse that happened was ONE out of the FOUR reactors partially melted down. Oh yeah, and NO ONE DIED from it."

The fact that Fukushima sent Nuclear Power back to the fanatical NO NUKES age of Chernobyl is something that shall gull me forever >_</
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Good to know.

And yes, Crossroads, people are still idiots.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Nuclear power has been fighting an uphill battle for seventy years, probably mostly thanks to the Cold War. We won't be seeing a change in public perception before the current generation dies and is replaced by people who grew up in the nineties.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again.
Fukushima should have been the ultimate Triumph of Nuclear power for the rest of the world.
Nuclear power proponents should have immediately gone on all forms of media to say "Here we have a nuclear power plant, that had piss poor safety run on it, the company involved was rather incompetent, it got hit by a massive Earthquake, and THEN a massive Tsunami, and the worse that happened was ONE out of the FOUR reactors partially melted down. Oh yeah, and NO ONE DIED from it."

The fact that Fukushima sent Nuclear Power back to the fanatical NO NUKES age of Chernobyl is something that shall gull me forever >_</
Those who did got ignored because "its radiation, who knows what the long-term effects will be!". And because "one time is all that's needed to effect untold numbers of generations!". And because "don't believe what the officials tell you!". And so on and so forth.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I always find that "don'tbelieve what the officials tell you" line hilarious. Well who am I supposed to believe? Your reportthat was written by a hippiewho has never even been to japan and you have a degree in folk music rather than nuclear physics?

And yes, that does come from personal experience. Damn hippies!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

In the meantime: solar kills 12 people per one killed by nuclear power [link]. And that is generous assessment, as it includes uranium miners and excludes a lot of jobs on solar side. In fact, according to this survey, solar panel roof installation is 6th most dangerous job in USA. Nuclear? Why, we clocked 14,500 cumulative reactor-years last year without single human-caused civilian nuclear power accident (both Windscale and Chernobyl were military reactor accidents).

Come to think of it, the above data is from 2011, before solar "boom" so it should be even worse now, given more roof jobs installing panels (just check the news how solar now has more jobs than coal, some threads below).
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Dr. Trainwreck wrote:Nuclear power has been fighting an uphill battle for seventy years, probably mostly thanks to the Cold War. We won't be seeing a change in public perception before the current generation dies and is replaced by people who grew up in the nineties.
Will it? Pop culture has constantly reinforce the dangers and harms of nuclear power. Also, you need to bear in mind that most of us who grew up in the 90s never really experienced any major push for nuclear power, and the fact that we grew up in the aftermath of Chernobyl. My generation is probably more anti-nuclear than the previous generation.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

ray245 wrote:Will it? Pop culture has constantly reinforce the dangers and harms of nuclear power. Also, you need to bear in mind that most of us who grew up in the 90s never really experienced any major push for nuclear power, and the fact that we grew up in the aftermath of Chernobyl. My generation is probably more anti-nuclear than the previous generation.
Yeah, the issue is getting worse, not better. Even my quite a few intelligent, young generation friends from Germany and Poland with degrees in highly scientific disciplines simply bought wholesale the "Green" propaganda and default to "Chernobyl" and "renewable costs aren't important" in any discussion of the issue.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Irbis wrote:
ray245 wrote:Will it? Pop culture has constantly reinforce the dangers and harms of nuclear power. Also, you need to bear in mind that most of us who grew up in the 90s never really experienced any major push for nuclear power, and the fact that we grew up in the aftermath of Chernobyl. My generation is probably more anti-nuclear than the previous generation.
Yeah, the issue is getting worse, not better. Even my quite a few intelligent, young generation friends from Germany and Poland with degrees in highly scientific disciplines simply bought wholesale the "Green" propaganda and default to "Chernobyl" and "renewable costs aren't important" in any discussion of the issue.
Yeah...I think humanity can give up hope on nuclear energy as a viable source. Unless we undergo a massive cultural shift, you have a better chance convincing people that the flying spaghetti monster is real than convincing people that nuclear energy is safe.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Well, there is the fact that money talks. If Japan, with Fukushima itself, first planned to phase out nuclear power, then after calculating the costs decided to withdraw from that decision, after it became clear it's impossible financially...

But then again, large part of Europe managed to convince itself dreaded Baltic tsunamis can reach Alps (seriously, I saw 'green' papers advocating turning off NPPs as far as Switzerland or Bavaria to avoid "Fukushima II") so we might be beyond saving.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Irbis wrote:Well, there is the fact that money talks. If Japan, with Fukushima itself, first planned to phase out nuclear power, then after calculating the costs decided to withdraw from that decision, after it became clear it's impossible financially...

But then again, large part of Europe managed to convince itself dreaded Baltic tsunamis can reach Alps (seriously, I saw 'green' papers advocating turning off NPPs as far as Switzerland or Bavaria to avoid "Fukushima II") so we might be beyond saving.
The thing is most of the developed world has long convinced themselves that renewable energy like solar and wind are more than enough to support the modern infrastructure. Not enough power? Build more solar panels!
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

ray245 wrote:The thing is most of the developed world has long convinced themselves that renewable energy like solar and wind are more than enough to support the modern infrastructure. Not enough power? Build more solar panels!
Which is funny, because the developed world had the exact same solution for oil: the fuck you mean it ain't enough, we'll drill more! You can't teach new tricks and can't have a new dog either, apparently.

And I retract my previous statement, as I guessed that a lot of the hysteria was because of the Cold War, and would die down with time (literally).
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Hopefully Indiana Jones surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator helped. ;)
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, there is the exclusion zone where no one is going to be living for a time. While no lives were lost livelihoods and property certainly were. That's disruptive enough that people don't want to experience it for themselves which can certainly account for a NIMBY attitude. Knowing that eventually people will be able to return to locations is no consolation when the time period will exceed a human lifetime.

In actual fact, it's probably safe enough for the elderly to return to most of the various exclusion zones if they're past reproducing and not likely to live long enough to come down with cancer due to long term exposure but that could easily open up another can of social worms.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

IIRC there were few plant workers killed in hydrogen explosions and I would be very suprised if no one was killed during the containment and cleanup efforts at plant site given how messed up that place was although those deaths don't count as death from radiation exposure.
Anyway Fukushima accident probably is among the most expensive industrial accidents in history and that is enough to force bean counters to consider cost/benefit ratio of nuclear energy. While accidents of this type aren't much of danger to nearby population if preventive measures are taken cleanup of the whole mess is astronomically expensive.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Sky Captain wrote:IIRC there were few plant workers killed in hydrogen explosions and I would be very suprised if no one was killed during the containment and cleanup efforts at plant site given how messed up that place was although those deaths don't count as death from radiation exposure.
Anyway Fukushima accident probably is among the most expensive industrial accidents in history and that is enough to force bean counters to consider cost/benefit ratio of nuclear energy. While accidents of this type aren't much of danger to nearby population if preventive measures are taken cleanup of the whole mess is astronomically expensive.
That's only the case for aging plants of very old design that were built in almost the worst spot possible. The other modern plant survived just fine, yet we're supposed to be ever fearful of the worst case scenario?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sky Captain wrote:IIRC there were few plant workers killed in hydrogen explosions and I would be very suprised if no one was killed during the containment and cleanup efforts at plant site given how messed up that place was although those deaths don't count as death from radiation exposure.
Two workers died in the flooding, nobody died in the explosions. Several workers have died in the cleanup from accidents and heatstroke.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Broomstick wrote:Well, there is the exclusion zone where no one is going to be living for a time. While no lives were lost livelihoods and property certainly were. That's disruptive enough that people don't want to experience it for themselves which can certainly account for a NIMBY attitude. Knowing that eventually people will be able to return to locations is no consolation when the time period will exceed a human lifetime.

In actual fact, it's probably safe enough for the elderly to return to most of the various exclusion zones if they're past reproducing and not likely to live long enough to come down with cancer due to long term exposure but that could easily open up another can of social worms.
Well, yes, exclusion zones are bad, but 3rd and 4th places on worst nuclear accidents, Windscale and Three Mile Island failed to produce any. As did all accidents below them. To even have a zone you need gross violation of everything including common sense on a scale comparable with Fukushima or Chernobyl. All they prove is that politically ordained baseless decisions despite protests of scientists are bad, too bad no one in general public can spot that simple lesson or irony in it all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm not entirely sold on the notion that Fukushima was somehow entirely a produce of irresponsibility and gross negligence. Yes, it was an old and dated design, there were problems, but at least some of them were a legacy of being a relatively early design. Absolutely we can and do build them better now, but that's because we've learned some additional things over time.

Fukushima survived a more powerful earthquake than anticipated by its design, and that's to the credit of those that built it. What really killed it was the tsunami, and no one anticipated a 50 foot wave hitting that shoreline. It was a Black Swan. Even then the plant kept functioning in regards to cooling for some time afterwards. The biggest problem and the one that led to the exclusion zone, was the destruction of the backup diesel generators to run the cooling systems. In hindsight, locating them at a relatively low spot was not a good idea, but as they say hindsight is 20/20. OK, next time we put the backups on higher ground. At least 50 feet higher if possible. There are a few others things that in retrospect were not the best design as well.

Fukushima was a perfect storm of a disaster and I think, given the limitations of the design and construction, it performed better than might otherwise be expected. Certainly, the window of time when the cooling systems were still running on backup allowed time to evacuate vulnerable people from the vicinity and attempt damage control. I question if that window was actually used effectively. On the other hand, it's not like nuclear emergencies of this sort are not common and thus we collectively don't have a lot of experience with managing them.

Since a 9.0 quake followed by a 15 meter tsunami is goddamned unlikely over most of the land area of the planet even a flawed design like Fukushima would meet my definition of "safe enough". And we can build better and safer than that. Despite that, lives have been devastated by the loss of property and livelihood and I'd like to see more actual help for the victims in getting their lives back together. Great, no one was killed, but that's not the only measure of harm.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Broomstick wrote: The biggest problem and the one that led to the exclusion zone, was the destruction of the backup diesel generators to run the cooling systems. In hindsight, locating them at a relatively low spot was not a good idea, but as they say hindsight is 20/20. OK, next time we put the backups on higher ground. At least 50 feet higher if possible. There are a few others things that in retrospect were not the best design as well.
I remember on Ars Technica forum it was mentioned that main problem leading to meltdown was the flooding and shorting out their electrical switchboards and other electrical stuff located in flooded areas that was neccessary to run cooling ststems. So even if they had a working generator it would be useless because other important systems were soaked in saltwater and shorted out. That's also probably the reason why there were no serious attempts to get a replacement generator to site - it would be useless if there is nothing to connect it to.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There was also the problem of the roads being pretty much fucked up due to the earthquake/tsunami. Regardless, I'm sure there are people trying to come up with ways to harden facilities against tsunamis.

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They sent out several generator trucks, they all got stuck in traffic. They could have wired directly to the pumps if they'd had power, indeed workers at the plant got some key instruments working wiring them to car batteries they pulled up out personal vehicles. What should have happened is they delivered generators by helicopter, its not like you need a massive amount of power for minimal cooling, oh and they vented the deadly fucking pressure like they were being told to do so by the prime ministers office and its advisors, but TEPCO was just completely and absurdly incompetent. They thought, if they were thinking anything, that they could maintain zero release of radioactivity all the way until the first damn reactor blew up. At that point it conditions were too bad in the other units to attempt to enter them, and the SDF suggested using armored vehicles to shoot holes in the cores which was never implemented.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Since I really should be more clear; it most likely was impossible to avoid at least a partial meltdown because of how leaky the containment structures became in the quake, but the main explosions could have been avoided for certain. The one in unit four spent fuel pool absurdly so. The worst contamination probably came from the spent fuel pools sending burning plutonium into the air rather then the meltdowns proper.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

Broomstick wrote:I'm not entirely sold on the notion that Fukushima was somehow entirely a produce of irresponsibility and gross negligence. Yes, it was an old and dated design, there were problems, but at least some of them were a legacy of being a relatively early design. Absolutely we can and do build them better now, but that's because we've learned some additional things over time.
IIRC it was, because while exact design of the reactors were dated, they never bothered to install any manufacturer recommended upgrades after they became online. Some of those upgrades has been designed after Three Mile Island and became a mandatory requirement for operation everywhere outside Japan. Also in the case of Unit 1 (the oldest), it turned out during the investigation, that they managed to fuck up the passive cooling system (Isolation Condenser) during construction, by making an unauthorized change of the plans. By design, that system only require water, reactor heat and gravity to work. And the plant itself had a long history of safety anomalies.
Broomstick wrote:Fukushima survived a more powerful earthquake than anticipated by its design, and that's to the credit of those that built it. What really killed it was the tsunami, and no one anticipated a 50 foot wave hitting that shoreline. It was a Black Swan. Even then the plant kept functioning in regards to cooling for some time afterwards. The biggest problem and the one that led to the exclusion zone, was the destruction of the backup diesel generators to run the cooling systems. In hindsight, locating them at a relatively low spot was not a good idea, but as they say hindsight is 20/20. OK, next time we put the backups on higher ground. At least 50 feet higher if possible. There are a few others things that in retrospect were not the best design as well.

Fukushima was a perfect storm of a disaster and I think, given the limitations of the design and construction, it performed better than might otherwise be expected. Certainly, the window of time when the cooling systems were still running on backup allowed time to evacuate vulnerable people from the vicinity and attempt damage control. I question if that window was actually used effectively. On the other hand, it's not like nuclear emergencies of this sort are not common and thus we collectively don't have a lot of experience with managing them.

Since a 9.0 quake followed by a 15 meter tsunami is goddamned unlikely over most of the land area of the planet even a flawed design like Fukushima would meet my definition of "safe enough". And we can build better and safer than that. Despite that, lives have been devastated by the loss of property and livelihood and I'd like to see more actual help for the victims in getting their lives back together. Great, no one was killed, but that's not the only measure of harm.
Sorry, that's halfway bullcrap. The other Fukushima NPP went through the same events and while suffered some damage, the crew on site managed to bring the reactors under control. Part of the reason of their success was that the reactors themselves were about a decade younger with more advanced safety features. At he No 1. plant, TEPCO ignored a safety studies repeatedly (see first link) and their disaster plans were practically nonexistent, with lack of equipment and added safety "features" like a set of emergency generators located a bit away on the top of a hill, thus protected from floods, but the power lines and distribution stations feeding the reactor buildings weren't. So nope, while parts of the existing safety mechanisms were operational and helped reducing the disaster's scale, it's still a case of institutional incompetency and cost-cutting of TEPCO that caused the most problems.