Whack job kills himself in apparent protest of gay marriage

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Whack job kills himself in apparent protest of gay marriage

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/paris ... 6647994323
Notre Dame Cathedral suicide by French writer Dominique Venner a 'gay marriage protest'

A MAN has shot himself dead in front of the altar of Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral, apparently in protest against France allowing gay marriage.
Police confirmed the man's identity as Dominique Venner, 78, an essayist and activist linked with France's far-right and nationalist groups.
In a final essay on his website Tuesday, he railed against France's adoption of a "vile law" legalising gay marriage and adoption, urging activists to take measures to protect "French and European identities".
In a possible reference to his suicide, Venner wrote: "There will certainly need to be new, spectacular, symbolic gestures to shake off the sleepiness ... and re-awaken the memories of our origins."
"We are reaching a time when words must be backed up with acts," he added.

The rector of the cathedral, Monsignor Patrick Jacquin, said that Venner had laid a letter on the altar before killing himself. A police source said the letter contained similar writings to those on Venner's website.

"We did not know him, he was not a regular at the cathedral," Monsignor Jacquin said, adding that he believed it was the first time anyone had committed suicide inside the cathedral.
His suicide was hailed by Marine Le Pen, leader of the far-right Front National, as a political gesture.

"All respect to Dominique Venner whose final, eminently political act was to try to wake up the people of France," Le Pen said on Twitter, though she added later that "it is in life and hope that France will renew and save itself."

Police said Venner shot himself with a pistol and that the cathedral, which at the time contained about 1500 people, was then evacuated without incident.
Venner had a long career publishing right-wing essays, military histories and books on weaponry and hunting.

He was a soldier during France's war in Algeria and was a member of the OAS (Secret Armed Organisation), a short-lived paramilitary group that opposed Algeria's independence from France.
Greg, an American tourist from Phoenix, said the church was full at the time of the suicide but that there was no panic during the evacuation.

"We just heard a loud sound, like a body falling from above," said Greg, who would not give his last name.
Monsignor Jacquin said masses had been cancelled and that church officials would hold a vigil later on Tuesday.
"We will pray for this man, as for so many others at their end," he said. "This is terrible, we are thinking of him and his family."
Venner's publisher, Pierre-Guillaume de Roux, said his next book due in June was entitled A Western Samurai. He said the writer's death had "an extremely strong symbolic power that approximates (Yukio) Mishima," the radical Japanese author who committed ritual suicide in 1970.
The Gothic Notre Dame Cathedral on an islet on the River Seine is one of the most visited sites in Paris, attracting 13.6 million visitors in 2011, and is this year celebrating its 850th anniversary.

It was the second dramatic suicide in less than a week in Paris, after a 50-year-old man with a history of family problems shot himself dead Thursday in a primary school near the Eiffel Tower, in front of about a dozen stunned children.
Assuming he did kill himself because he can't hack homosexuals having the same rights as others, I wonder how many other right wing bigots will have the courage to do the same thing.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: Whack job kills himself in apparent protest of gay marri

Post by fgalkin »

This man is my new hero. Why can't more assholes be like him?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I don't think this is what Pat Buchanan had in mind when he predicted that there would be civil disobedience in response to growing support for gay marriage. But better this than some right-wing lunatic gunning down innocent people.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

So the world's another wanker short?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

Heh, and assuming he's Catholic, which seems likely, he just committed a mortal sin worse then what he was protesting against.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Or you know, he did it because he was clinically depressed and needed help rather than a bunch of cunts saying how great it is he killed himself.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Give the man points for having the courage of his convictions, so rare to see in contemporary politics. I can respect that much, even if I think he needed serious help if he was that distraught over the whole thing.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Flagg wrote:Or you know, he did it because he was clinically depressed and needed help rather than a bunch of cunts saying how great it is he killed himself.
Sorry, Flagg, but suicide and mental illness are hilarious when they afflict people who disagree with us.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Losonti Tokash wrote:
Flagg wrote:Or you know, he did it because he was clinically depressed and needed help rather than a bunch of cunts saying how great it is he killed himself.
Sorry, Flagg, but suicide and mental illness are hilarious when they afflict people who disagree with us.
This is a very sobering thought. But we should also remember that not all suicide is because of depression.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Do you have any idea who he was? The man was a fucking terrorist who targeted hospitals and schools and killed dozens of civillians in an illegal campaign to prevent Algerian independence after the ceasefire was signed. All the while staunchly (and hypocritically defending the Confederates (and subsequently dedicating the rest of his life to eulogizing Southern secession). If he was depressed? If he suffered before his death? That would just be the icing on the cake, for the news already made my fucking week.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Flagg wrote: Or you know, he did it because he was clinically depressed and needed help rather than a bunch of cunts saying how great it is he killed himself.

That's just emphatically wrong. His last book (which will be published posthumously) has a title roughly along the lines of "The Western Samurai" and he attests in repeated letters to the excellence of his family relations, his perfect health, and his happiness with life. This was a political act to bring about consequences in Europe to his favour, like a suicide bombing without the murder; in short, a French Mishima.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Of all the spectacular symbolic gestures he could have picked, I'm glad he settled on one that didn't involve taking innocent bystanders with him.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Nationalist prick, terrorist and an asshole to the bitter end. May he rest in piss.
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:His last book (which will be published posthumously) has a title roughly along the lines of "The Western Samurai" and he attests in repeated letters to the excellence of his family relations, his perfect health, and his happiness with life.
Denial? Many depressed people put up a facade of happiness if they think of killing themselves.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

mr friendly guy wrote:Assuming he did kill himself because he can't hack homosexuals having the same rights as others, I wonder how many other right wing bigots will have the courage to do the same thing.
Evolution in action.

EDIT: Although the almost certainly was something else wrong with this fellow.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

CJvR wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:Assuming he did kill himself because he can't hack homosexuals having the same rights as others, I wonder how many other right wing bigots will have the courage to do the same thing.
Evolution in action.

EDIT: Although the almost certainly was something else wrong with this fellow.
Does he have children?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Dr. Trainwreck wrote:Denial? Many depressed people put up a facade of happiness if they think of killing themselves.
It's possible, but I'd be wary of looking at someone who doesn't act depressed, and expresses a conviction that some things are worth dying for, and saying they're in denial about being depressed.

[Insert mumbles about the pathologization of dissent here]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Dr. Trainwreck wrote:Denial? Many depressed people put up a facade of happiness if they think of killing themselves.
Based on what? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just be interested to see a clinical study to this effect.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

This thread pretty much is a textbook example of the tendency of individuals to pathologize those they disagree with. Nobody suggested that the Boston bombers were depressed and suicidal. Nobody brings that up at the latest Dupont Belt bombing in the mid-east. I wonder why? Why are we so quick to pathologize extremism in the white European population by take it at face value when it comes from the brown people?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Because all those brown-skinned people are aliens and their evil is wrought by their alien thoughts. Since proper white-skinned people do not normally do evil deeds, there must be something wrong with them when they do. Othering 101.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

becuase the boston bombers didn't commit suicide - they bombed a marathon instead.
One of those behaviors is associated with depression. duh.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Metahive wrote:Because all those brown-skinned people are aliens and their evil is wrought by their alien thoughts. Since proper white-skinned people do not normally do evil deeds, there must be something wrong with them when they do. Othering 101.
I bet those suicide bombers also are maybe clinically depressed and needed help instead of a bunch of cunts condemning them for being religious fanatics. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

madd0ct0r wrote:becuase the boston bombers didn't commit suicide - they bombed a marathon instead.
One of those behaviors is associated with depression. duh.
This was a public political act by someone who happened to have a system of personal ethics that prevented him from killing innocents. Don't be an ass. You're living in Asia, where this sort of political protest has a long history. Let's look at all those monks burning themselves alive for Tibetan independence. I bet they were all depressed, right? Right? They were just depressed.

Get real. This is RACISM. Breivik was "insane" according to so many of the chattering classes, but of course in the end it was found he wasn't--which was correct. Because to call Breivik insane was to deny that extremism was possible in white men. This is the exact same thing. Zaune's response was the correct one: "At least he didn't blow up a building".

He did, however, shoot himself on the altar of Notre Dame (*With 1500 people watching, the exact sort of spectacle as a suicide bombing) after putting a note upon it declaring the political reasons for his action and his objective to galvanize people. His publisher, his close friend for decades, is now explaining the act was intended in emulation of Mishima Yukio. There is no doubt:

This was a political protest.

I am sorry, but racist westerners will just have to accept now that not only are they not superiour to Arabs (Breivik), but they're not superiour to Tibetans either (Venner). Oh well, too bad. I cry many tears. Not.

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Duchess of Zeon wrote:This was a political protest.
Your comparison to Mishima is apt (considering the guy was a Samurai fanboy), I however wonder since, suicide is regarded quite differently in the West, with protest-suicides being virtually unheard of, how much impact this will have. I think not as much as the guy hoped for.
mr friendly guy wrote:I bet those suicide bombers also are maybe clinically depressed and needed help instead of a bunch of cunts condemning them for being religious fanatics.
Proper white scientists figured out that clinical depression in non-white aliens is best treated with high caliber bullets to their cranial area. Religious fanaticism is a common disease among non-white aliens, and technically identical with clinical depression (due to them being inferior and non-white) and must be treated likewise.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Metahive wrote:Because all those brown-skinned people are aliens and their evil is wrought by their alien thoughts. Since proper white-skinned people do not normally do evil deeds, there must be something wrong with them when they do. Othering 101.
I don't think there is enough irony in the world for a post like this. Yet here it is.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Starglider wrote:Based on what? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just be interested to see a clinical study to this effect.
I'm sure I've heard this fact quoted by medical professionals, but until someone can find a source, will you settle for first-hand experience?

It's not, arguably, an actual facade of happiness. You've finally resolved to do something proactive about your situation and can now finally see a point where all the really awful shit you've been through to date is going to end. Why wouldn't you feel a bit better for that?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog