patriot act

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

do you support the patriot act?

yes. it is god. we should legalize patriot act 2.
5%
its helpful but somewhat distressing
10%
ph34r my apathy
5%
we are edging into police state
33%
we love you big brother ashcroft! -shifty eyes-
48%

Total votes: 21

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

patriot act

Post by Enforcer Talen »

is there anyone here who supports it? since it came about, I havent met one person who does.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Honestly, I haven't kept up with the provisions of the various homeland security legislation since 9/11. My guess, however, is that it's just a bunch of unconstitutional garbage, like most of what Congress passes these days.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I dislike it. But as far as I can tell every questionable part was either denied funding, or has a short time limit, or both.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Cooler heads shall prevail, and it will not have much longevity. I hope.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

It makes me a bit nervous but I've got to say I'm not worried. I worry more about Bushes economic policy than the Patriot Act.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Luckily, it wouldn't affect me, but the Franklin quote comes to mind...

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. "
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I don't think something like it will pass nowadays. Ashcroft could get away with it a few months after 9/11, by saying such measures were needed to protect us from further attacks, or labeling anyone who opposes it "unpatriotic". Another problem with it is that it targets everyone, instead of the people that commit such acts. It might even distract us from such people. Maybe that's why war veterans get their Medals of Honor confiscated at checkpoints, while some guy with a turban, 5 aliases, and fuse coming out of his shoe can pass through.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB