Austria: we want Führer back

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Austria: we want Führer back

Post by Irbis »

‘Hitler wasn’t all bad’, 42% of Austrians say

Over 40 per cent of Austrians believe the Hitler era wasn’t ‘all bad’, according to the latest poll conducted by the Linz Market Institute.

The survey was carried out ahead of the 75th anniversary of the country’s annexation by the Nazi Germany, the Anschluss, and included 502 people.

Fifty-seven per cent of respondents believed that "there was nothing positive about the Hitler era".

However, 61 per cent of respondents indicated that they wanted a "strong leader" at the head of Austria.

That was in fact more than in previous polls, the newspaper Der Standard reported. A similar survey in 2008 found just a fifth of Austrians could imagine having "a strong leader who does not have to worry about a parliament or elections."

Also, 54 per cent – most of them young and well-educated - were of the opinion that if there was no legislation prohibiting the neo-Nazi parties, they would succeed in elections.

Older participants in the survey strictly opposed the idea, which, according to historians, is logical.

"It's a normal process that topics are no longer considered hot after two or three generations," Oliver Rathkolb at the University of Vienna told Der Standard.

Finally, 61 per cent indicated that they thought the country’s Nazi past had been adequately dealt with, while 39 per cent disagreed with that statement.

The opinions remain similarly divided when it comes to the compensation of Nazi victims. 57 per cent of respondents thought that "the victims of this injustice or their descendants have been adequately compensated", whereas 42 per cent believed that wasn’t the case.

On March 12, 1938, Hitler’s troops entered Austria, and were welcomed by many who supported his ideology at the time. In the latest poll, 53 per cent thought the Anschluss was voluntary and 46 per cent saw Austria as a victim of the unification.

As for the present political situation in the country, right-wing nationalist parties have often triumphed in Austria, even since World War II. In January, the leader of Vienna’s Jewish Community said the number of anti-Semitic incidents reported to his office had doubled in the previous year.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center regularly grades Austria among its lowest-scoring countries in terms of prosecuting Nazi war criminals.
Random site link, but the poll results are all over the news centres, if anyone wants to crosscheck. Anyway, not very surprising (albeit that fact that almost 2/3 want some sort of Führer is) given it's the country that elected member of ethnic cleansing unit who lied about his war service for president, then acted all offended EU didn't liked another of their 'strong men', Jörg Haider, trying to rehash dictatorship ideas.

Frankly, what I think more sad than that is, that 60% of the people think Nazi past had been dealt with, when their country treated all sorts of was criminals far lighter than Germany, and that they compensated the victims when they went nowhere near German apologies or victim reparation payments. IIRC, highest ranking unapologetic Nazi war criminal still alive is Austrian, in fact.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Austria: we want Führer back

Post by Thanas »

These polls are often asked in the wrong manner to make the results seem a lot more misleading than they were. If you asked somebody "was everything Hitler did bad?" then he probably would be right to say no.

That being said, Austria really does have a problem dealing with the shared past.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

502 people out of 8 million odd doesn't sound like all that authoritive of a survey. Though its certainly a dramatic story.

Got to agree with Thanas, asking if Hitler is 'all bad' isn't a great question and in the strictest sense he wasn't. It doesn't excuse the bad things he did.

Even in that survey though. Most people are coming down against Hitler and the Nazis.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Hitler is responsible for the Autobahns. Those certainly aren't bad.

Misleading poll is misleading.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Alyeska wrote:Hitler is responsible for the Autobahns. Those certainly aren't bad.

Isn´t that a myth? As far as i know plans that had even been partially realized existed some time before Hitler.
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

salm wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Hitler is responsible for the Autobahns. Those certainly aren't bad.

Isn´t that a myth? As far as i know plans that had even been partially realized existed some time before Hitler.
It's a myth, the planning already started in the 20s.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Tribun wrote:
salm wrote:

The factual accuracy of Alyeska statement is actually irrelevant, though. Just the post proved how the poll could be justified to answer a no in the mids of responders.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

A yes/no answer to a question is typically a fallacy in and of itself.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Also a "strong leader" could mean anything from Hitler to a Habsburg restoration to electing Arnold Schwarzenegger as Chancellor, so while it may be a disturbing statement in general to hear from a European country, it might also be totally irrelevant to the nation's support for Nazism.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Tribun wrote:
salm wrote:

Learn something every day.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

All the money Hitler spent for the early autobahns and other 'job creation' programs had also already been allotted by the previous government. He just took office in time to be around to see it spent.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

If the US had numbers like this wouldn't we be furiousely mocking them and making Nazi Germany comparisons?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Crazedwraith wrote:502 people out of 8 million odd doesn't sound like all that authoritive of a survey. Though its certainly a dramatic story.
Statistics don't work that way. Minimum sample size for a meaningful observation is dependent on the method of analysis and how much error you are willing to accept, not population size (which is often unknown). As long as the sample was representative and the survey properly constructed, there shouldn't be any problem with a sample of 500. Without knowing what the survey actually asked or what their sampling method was, it's hard to actually make a judgment about the quality of the survey results.

May I inquire as to what sort of organization the Linz Market Institute is? Do they have a known agenda or bias?
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Google brings up absolutely nothing about them except in reference to this supposed poll (and one link to something about marketing), which leads me to believe it's probably a hoax.
https://www.google.com/search?q=linz+ma ... e&ie=UTF-8
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

On the autobahn.
From my understanding they couldn't get shit done until the 30's and once Hitler decided it would be swell to have them.
Without his interest they probably wouldn't have gotten any further than they already had.
It's even more telling that his influence made them happen since they didn't have much in the way of military value. I mean wasn't it all just a jobs creation and PR move for the most part? That seems to happen because of Hitler and nobody else.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Germany should invade Austria. :evil:
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

B5B7 wrote:Germany should invade Austria. :evil:
And Greece and France and Hungary... :wink:
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:On the autobahn.
From my understanding they couldn't get shit done until the 30's and once Hitler decided it would be swell to have them.
Actually, they did get stuff done. The first large autobahn was already finished and in use by 1932, other projects had started or were in the final planning phase.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Google brings up absolutely nothing about them except in reference to this supposed poll (and one link to something about marketing), which leads me to believe it's probably a hoax.
https://www.google.com/search?q=linz+ma ... e&ie=UTF-8
The "one link about marketing," is that this one?
http://www.market.at/

That's them - they do all sorts of marketing research and opinion polling.

I can't find this particular poll in their archive, but that doesn't mean much.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Ok, I did some research. Neither market, nor "Der Standard", the newspaper who ordered the poll, are publishing the data.

I found an article about it in "Der Standard" (german)

What they published was the following:

54% think it might be possible that Nazis still have electoral support in Austria, especially young and educated people share that fear.
About the prohibition of everything Nazi-related: 37% think it's not going far enough, 50% think it's ok as is and 13% think it's too restrictive.
61% want a strong man in charge of Austria (which is a joke question - who wants a pushover in charge?)
On the question: Social benefits provided by the state should be for citizens, only, 57% were in favor, and 42% used the option "That would be narrow-minded, radical and embarrassing" (Quote from the article, so I think that poll was quite loaded in it's wording...)
42% "Not everything was bad under Hitler" - 57% "Nothing good, at all, under Hitler."
53% think th e"anschluss" was voluntary, 46% see Austra as a victim.
"There had been massive riots, back then, especially against jewish people, in Austria. If you think of modern Europe, would that be possible?" 12% impossible, 32% rather not, 39% possible, 17% very much possible.
61% think we dealed adequatelywith the past, 39% disagree.
On compensation for victims, 57% believe it has been don correctly, 42% disagree.
"Should Austria have faught back against the "Anschluss?" 15% think a war would have made sense, 42 % think it would only made things worse for Austria, and 43% say it wouldn't have mattered.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Hamstray
Padawan Learner

Post by Hamstray »

LaCroix wrote:61% want a strong man in charge of Austria (which is a joke question - who wants a pushover in charge?)
pretty narrow-minded. how about a "senate" or some other form of non-single-concentration of power? or how about delegative democracy?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Hamstray wrote:
LaCroix wrote:61% want a strong man in charge of Austria (which is a joke question - who wants a pushover in charge?)
pretty narrow-minded. how about a "senate" or some other form of non-single-concentration of power? or how about delegative democracy?
Well, there has to be a spokesperson, right? Like, a Chancellor, a President... Like in every Nation of this Planet... And each and every country tries to put a "strong man/ woman" in charge.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

So, no Austrians marching around with arms outstretched. Am I bad for thinking this is an exercise in sensationalist journalism?
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

It's "Der Standard", the far-left "educated elite" newspaper of Austria. (which even has a "female" and a "multicultural" version of their website...) Reporting on national socialism. With data from a poll they had paid for, has (in my opinion) a pretty slanted wording, and was not published, only referenced by the paper. Your decision...

Hamstray
Padawan Learner

Post by Hamstray »

LaCroix wrote:Well, there has to be a spokesperson, right? Like, a Chancellor, a President... Like in every Nation of this Planet...
classic argumentum ad populum