Holder: Drone strike against Americans in the U.S. possible

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Holder: Drone strike against Americans in the U.S. possible

Post by Lord Zentei »

Linka
CNN wrote:Holder: Drone strike against Americans in the U.S. possible

Attorney General Eric Holder Tuesday stopped short of entirely ruling out a drone strike against an American citizen on U.S. soil—without trial.

Holder’s comment came in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul. Paul had sent a letter to President Obama’s CIA director nominee John Brennan asking for the administration’s views on the president’s power to authorize lethal force.

In the letter, Holder said “It is possible I suppose to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States. “

In a separate letter, Brennan told Paul that the CIA has no such authority.

The nomination passed its first hurdle Tuesday with the Senate intelligence committee voting to approve the nomination in a 12-3 vote. Republican Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia said he voted against the nomination because of inconsistencies in Brennan's testimony.

Earlier in the day, the White House agreed to provide legal documents written by Justice Department officials explaining the legal rationale for targeting Americans overseas who are involved in terror-related activities that threatened America or American interests.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Re: Holder: Drone strike against Americans in the U.S. possi

Post by Lord Zentei »

Filibuster going on for John Brennan for the CIA directorship.

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/
Last edited by D.Turtle on 2013-03-06 05:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Deleted the double post - D.Turtle

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It would be nice to think Holder was thinking "if we were invaded, or if a secessionist state militia were marching on Washington a la 1861, it would be appropriate for the armed forces to use lethal force on American soil."

I don't really believe that's all he meant, even if he says so. I'm tired of the mealy-mouthed "we don't want to limit our options" approach.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I never thought I'd live to say this, but I'm glad to see Rand Paul and John Cornyn doing their duty in the Senate.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:I never thought I'd live to say this, but I'm glad to see Rand Paul and John Cornyn doing their duty in the Senate.
Running for president?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Flagg wrote:
Elfdart wrote:I never thought I'd live to say this, but I'm glad to see Rand Paul and John Cornyn doing their duty in the Senate.
Running for president?
If that's the incentive he needs, then that's fine by me, just as long as it gets done.

Besides, he's arguably less bad than many of the other assholes that might be gunning for president instead. At least going by what he's saying in the here and now.*

* And yes, I know that this was also true of Obama five years ago.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Flagg wrote:
Running for president?
You're probably thinking of Ron Paul.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Grumman wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Running for president?
You're probably thinking of Ron Paul.
No, Rand Paul is his son and is sooo running in 2016.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Lord Zentei wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Running for president?
If that's the incentive he needs, then that's fine by me, just as long as it gets done.

Besides, he's arguably less bad than many of the other assholes that might be gunning for president instead. At least going by what he's saying in the here and now.*

He wants to repeal the Civil Rights act and allow businesses to discriminate by race, so no, he's not better.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Flagg wrote:No, Rand Paul is his son and is sooo running in 2016.
My mistake. I hadn't heard he was running next time, so I assumed you were talking about his father.
Flagg wrote:He wants to repeal the Civil Rights act and allow businesses to discriminate by race, so no, he's not better.
"Wants to allow businesses to refuse service to protected classes" is still better than "wants to indefinitely detain and assassinate US citizens without trial".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I read the thread title and thought "well, yeah, eventually other nations will get that capability" but then read the OP and realized that what was meant was the US government vs. US citizens.

Sadly, neither reading surprises me. Saddens, yes, surprises, no.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Holder's letter.
For serious. Usually if a Republican says it, I can pretty confidently disagree, but today is one of those days the broken clock is right.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You do nothing about a president declaring he has unlimited power abroad.

And then people are surprised that next he tries to have the same at home.

BTW, Rand Paul is currently going into the legalities. Good stuff. Never thought I see that extremist be the one who says in public "there are several concerns about the target definitions, rules of engagement, transparency and legal justification of the drone program."
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Grumman wrote:
Flagg wrote:No, Rand Paul is his son and is sooo running in 2016.
My mistake. I hadn't heard he was running next time, so I assumed you were talking about his father.
Even if he doesn't expect to get many votes, Rand Paul has to run in order to continue to promote the Ron Paul brand within the party. He doesn't have his father's speaking skills, so he's pretty screwed unless he buys some charisma on the free market.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Re: Thanas:

Who's surprised?
Lord Zentei wrote:If that's the incentive he needs, then that's fine by me, just as long as it gets done.

Obama is also arguably less bad than many of the other assholes that might be gunning for president right now...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thanas wrote:You do nothing about a president declaring he has unlimited power abroad.

And then people are surprised that next he tries to have the same at home.

BTW, Rand Paul is currently going into the legalities. Good stuff. Never thought I see that extremist be the one who says in public "there are several concerns about the target definitions, rules of engagement, transparency and legal justification of the drone program."
I'm not happy with a lot of what Obama has done, but saying he is trying to have unlimited power is a bit much. He's not Palpatine. You're starting to sound like the wackos who compare him to Hitler and Stalin.

I support criticism of Obama, but I'd like it to be level-headed, factually accurate criticism, not melodrama and exaggeration.

As for the issue of using drones against Americans, I could accept it in certain circumstances if there was a terrorist attack or revolt taking place. I do not support the government blowing up political opponents or using drones as an alternative to putting someone on trial.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I'm not happy with a lot of what Obama has done, but saying he is trying to have unlimited power is a bit much. He's not Palpatine. You're starting to sound like the wackos who compare him to Hitler and Stalin.

I support criticism of Obama, but I'd like it to be level-headed, factually accurate criticism, not melodrama and exaggeration.
How the fuck is a president claiming he has the power to kill you at any second based on no public evidence, no public decision process and no involvement of anything outside his own branch not claiming the ultimate power a leader can have?
As for the issue of using drones against Americans, I could accept it in certain circumstances if there was a terrorist attack or revolt taking place.
Posse comitatus?

Simon_Jester wrote:Re: Thanas:

Who's surprised?
If you are not surprised, you should be rioting in the streets. Have some of this thing called "citizen democracy" with "unalienable rights".
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
As for the issue of using drones against Americans, I could accept it in certain circumstances if there was a terrorist attack or revolt taking place.
Posse comitatus?
As I said above, if I thought Holder meant "in case of the Mexicans invading, we would be justified in having the armed forces use lethal force," and that was all he meant, that would not be a problem.

Likewise, in the case of a sudden inexplicable repeat of 9/11, I would think it justified to use Air Force planes to shoot down an airliner that was about to be used as an improvised missile. Similar arguments apply in other extreme cases.

This does not equate to putting American citizens on a targeted assassination list, in case you were wondering.
Simon_Jester wrote:Re: Thanas:

Who's surprised?
If you are not surprised, you should be rioting in the streets. Have some of this thing called "citizen democracy" with "unalienable rights".
Are you now referring to me personally, or we-the-people-of-the-United-States?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Thanas wrote: Posse comitatus?
Yeah that clearly allows for use of force by the US military on US soil in terrorist situations. This whole subject is absurdly more clear cut and legally protected then randomly killing US citizens overseas because they might maybe be plotting some such thing. The focus on drones is just an attempt to make a legal issue emotional. Would it be different if it was a manned jet or a the Swamp Angle bombarding Charleston? Categorically ruling out drone attacks would mean ruling out all situations in which the US military might kill a US citizen which is obvious nonsense.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:How the fuck is a president claiming he has the power to kill you at any second based on no public evidence, no public decision process and no involvement of anything outside his own branch not claiming the ultimate power a leader can have?
Because their are still major limits on his power. The courts could rule that something is illegal, could they not? Elections still take place, do they not? Obama has done some horrible things, but its silly to exaggerate.
Posse comitatus?
Does Posse Comitatus forbid the United States military to fight against a revolt (which would be idiotic)?

If so, I hope no one tells the secessionists.
Nice to see a moderator advocating violent crimes. Go fuck yourself.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Thanas wrote:How the fuck is a president claiming he has the power to kill you at any second based on no public evidence, no public decision process and no involvement of anything outside his own branch not claiming the ultimate power a leader can have?
Because their are still major limits on his power. The courts could rule that something is illegal, could they not? Elections still take place, do they not? Obama has done some horrible things, but its silly to exaggerate.
No actually the courts refused to rule on this because the administration blocked them from having any information.
Does Posse Comitatus forbid the United States military to fight against a revolt (which would be idiotic)?

I am sure the designation of terrorist is a legal one so clearly defined. Heck, under the Obama's description anything from "I donated five dollars into a box at the local mosque" over "I wrote some stuff on the internet" to "DIE DIE DIE" falls under it.
Are you a moron? No, seriously, that is the only response I have to this. You must be a moron. Please be one, so I don't have to think that comment was written by somebody who passed high school and read a book.
------------
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You did just say something that sounded an awful lot like "you should be rioting in the streets." I don't know what dictionary you're using, but "rioting" sounds pretty violent to me.

If you don't want people to accuse you of advocating violence, I suggest you spend a little less time huffing and puffing about how people ought to be getting violent in response to the outrage of the week.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Fine. 1st Amendment. Gather a large group of people and protest the shit out of it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:
No actually the courts refused to rule on this because the administration blocked them from having any information.

I am sure the designation of terrorist is a legal one so clearly defined. Heck, under the Obama's description anything from "I donated five dollars into a box at the local mosque" over "I wrote some stuff on the internet" to "DIE DIE DIE" falls under it.
Are you a moron? No, seriously, that is the only response I have to this. You must be a moron. Please be one, so I don't have to think that comment was written by somebody who passed high school and read a book.
I am not a moron, but I wonder if you are. Posting "If you are not surprised, you should be rioting in the streets." is offensive and irresponsible at best.

And while the definition of terrorist may be an issue, what about using drones to fight a revolt? You have not addressed this point.

Also, please provide sources for the claim that donating money to a mosque is considered terrorism and for the part about the courts not ruling.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:You did just say something that sounded an awful lot like "you should be rioting in the streets." I don't know what dictionary you're using, but "rioting" sounds pretty violent to me.

If you don't want people to accuse you of advocating violence, I suggest you spend a little less time huffing and puffing about how people ought to be getting violent in response to the outrage of the week.
And I suggest idiots spend a lot less time worrying about some figure of speech and focus on the issue at hand.
------------
------------
My LPs