Piers Morgan and the frothing gun maniac video

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Piers Morgan and the frothing gun maniac video

Post by Nephtys »

...this is kind of horribly funny in a sad, sad, sad way. It's gone completely viral, but wow. That guy's the perfect embodiment of the right wing American extremist stereotype.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Re: Piers Morgan and the frothing gun maniac video

Post by Azazal »

Nephtys wrote:...this is kind of horribly funny in a sad, sad, sad way. It's gone completely viral, but wow. That guy's the perfect embodiment of the right wing American extremist stereotype.
Alex there isn't right wing or left wing, he's a special kind of touched in the head mental case, or a very good actor. He is a leading member of the 9/11 truth movement, he used to and may still, lead demonstrations at the World Trade Center insisting that the 9/11 attacks were a plot orchestrated by the Bush administration for something something, it's all in my book / DVD sets on sale over there for $29.99.

He has been feeding and feeding off of people's paranoia of the big bad government for years. I'm not sure if he really believes the bullshit he says, but he knows he can sell it and people have been giving him wads of cash for it.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I want to know what sort of blackmail material Alex Jones has that got him a spot on Piers Morgan (granted, it is Piers Morgan, but still that's like Congress calling Gordan G. Chang to testify on China... oh wait, that happened too).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Pelranius wrote:I want to know what sort of blackmail material Alex Jones has that got him a spot on Piers Morgan (granted, it is Piers Morgan, but still that's like Congress calling Gordan G. Chang to testify on China... oh wait, that happened too).
It seems to me that five minutes of this Jones character pretty much makes Morgan's case for him. Of course, your average gun enthusiast is not a raving lunatic like this clown, but if your goal is to help to discredit one side of a disagreement, well, mission accomplished.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

SCRawl wrote:
Pelranius wrote:I want to know what sort of blackmail material Alex Jones has that got him a spot on Piers Morgan (granted, it is Piers Morgan, but still that's like Congress calling Gordan G. Chang to testify on China... oh wait, that happened too).
It seems to me that five minutes of this Jones character pretty much makes Morgan's case for him. Of course, your average gun enthusiast is not a raving lunatic like this clown, but if your goal is to help to discredit one side of a disagreement, well, mission accomplished.
That is, of course, exactly why Jones managed to get onto Morgan's show.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Atia
Youngling

Post by Atia »

This crazy train didn’t just stop at one station:

After seeing this on youtube the other day, out of curiosity I actually listened to his show the day to see how he would spin it. While I’ve been aware of this clown for a while and seen some clips from his show I’ve never actually sat through his show before and I wouldn’t recommend it, ever. Twenty minutes in I think I was starting to envy the deaf, and cried uncle about thirty minutes in.

To be perfectly honest I have no idea if he really believes anything he says. Part of me just cannot believe there is one person this divorced from reality and instead this is all some elaborate act. Like the Steven Colbert’s act but on steroids, and form the look of him a few boxes of donuts too.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Beowulf wrote:
SCRawl wrote:
That is, of course, exactly why Jones managed to get onto Morgan's show.
This.

But Piers Morgan is a douche. Based on my previous knowledge of him, this episode only served to make me loathe him even more. He just wanted to show someone on the air who would look like even more of a raving guy, and he selected Alex Jones, who is well known to be a fringe conspiracy guy. Nicely done. As an aside, regardless of the fact that he's raving, I'm not so sure that Jones' statistics are wrong when he's talking about UK crime rise, the US crime decline, as well as the Indian women signing that petition.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Morgan interviewed him because he lead a petition to have him deported
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

So people are saying Piers interviewed Jones to get back at him rather than because he is a "serious" gun lobbyist?

I must admit I don't know much about Piers, but I am aware of Jones because of what people post on other boards going into conspiracy theories, and that guy is nuts. Most likely too crazy to be used in this interview, which may have been another reason for Piers to interview him.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And also, given the tenor of the debate (well, rather the one sided screaming) about any possible gun control in the US, he seems a fairly representative sort.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

I'm normally not one to focus on presentation over substance, but that whole bit at the end where Alex Jones stars mockingly impersonating Piers Morgan's accent was just classless. I've known of Alex Jones' insanity for quite some time but this was a new level of jackassery.

"To muh-duh, I can speak in this accent as well!" WTF was he hoping to achieve with that? I don't know how a guy who spends 95% of his time on air grunting like a roided up Gilbert Gottfried can mock someone's manner of speaking without grasping the irony. If I had been in Piers' shoes I'm not sure I would have been able to resist the temptation to start imitating Jones' ranting, raving and howling. While what we got was quite a show, I think a Brit and a buffoon impersonating each other would have been a site for the ages.

It's downright impressive how the man manages to stay so worked up all the time. I'm considerably thinner and younger than Jones and the just the thought of spending hours each day shouting and spitting into a microphone exhausts me.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Alex Jones isn't known for his subtle or classy manner. As for the petition to have Piers Morgan deported, these kinds of bullshit petitions are started all the time, and nobody gives a shit.

In any case, the screaming has not been entirely one sided:

Regardless of what you may think of the arguments of the pro gun guys, Morgan hasn't exactly been professional himself all the time during this whole debate. There's a reason that petition got over a hundred thousand signatures. Worse, he seems to base his views on appeals to emotion, appeals to public opinion and a certain aversion to critical thinking and proper statistical analysis. Not that I'm saying that he's alone in that, of course. But it's still no excuse.
Last edited by Lord Zentei on 2013-01-12 03:39am, edited 1 time in total.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I still wanna know why Morgan hasn't been deported and arrested for phone hacking.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Morgan hasn't (yet) been convicted of anything with regards to the phone hacking scandal - Andy Coulson was the editor who got convicted on that count. And considering how slippery he is, Morgan's career would probably burn out of its own accord before he got convicted of something in the UK and had his US visa cancelled as a result.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

to be honest, Morgan's reaction there is pretty typical British reaction to the whole situation.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

weemadando wrote:And also, given the tenor of the debate (well, rather the one sided screaming) about any possible gun control in the US, he seems a fairly representative sort.
Is he? I've gotten the impression that the average gun owner in the US favors things like increased scrutiny, safety training and storage. All of which both you and I have advocated. And I continue to. I don't think the average owner is any different then you or I.

Guys like this make a living off fear, it's the same thing Feinstein does, the same thing the NRA does.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I used to follow his site PrisonPlanet when I was a tinfoiler myself back in the early 2000's. He would literally predict martial law and orchestrated terror-attacks every month.

Every time his predictions failed he would either ignore them, or he would claim that the NWO-JEW-Lizards had been scared of by his brave work and forced to delay the martial law.

Occasionally he was right about some things, but that was normally small stuff, and only if you were very generous in reviewing his predictions, and it's probably explained by the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" effect.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Aaron MkII wrote:
weemadando wrote:And also, given the tenor of the debate (well, rather the one sided screaming) about any possible gun control in the US, he seems a fairly representative sort.
Is he? I've gotten the impression that the average gun owner in the US favors things like increased scrutiny, safety training and storage. All of which both you and I have advocated. And I continue to. I don't think the average owner is any different then you or I.
He is, because the average gun owner is totally unwilling to discuss a complete ban on guns. That is pretty much where the screaming (on both sides) starts from.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Wouldn't you have to get rid of the Second Amendment before that would even be possible?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Aaron MkII wrote:Wouldn't you have to get rid of the Second Amendment before that would even be possible?

I would think you would have to. Assuming there were no legal issues to banning all guns while the Second Amendment was still in play I think that the best shot at banning guns in the US would be after the repeal of the Second Amendment because for that change to the constitution to happen there would be major support within the US in favor of it.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Aaron MkII wrote:Wouldn't you have to get rid of the Second Amendment before that would even be possible?
No, just reverse the SC decisions that expanded it to "You can own whatever you want with comparatively little regulation" during the last five decades or so and you can regulate guns very heavily or tax them as such. Neither is very likely but that doesn't stop one side wanting it and the other shrieking about it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Ahh, I see. Thank you.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Frankly, Jones is spot on about Morgan's tactics of throwing out little irrelevant factoids. Morgan flat-out refused to address the much higher violent crime rates in the UK and did not present an argument, just a series of emotionally charged questions.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I'll be honest--I think you're all wrong about the NRA. I joined the NRA for the first time in my life after Wayne LaPierre's speech. They have had 100,000 new members since December 14th. The attitude here might be that they're insane, but the attitude a lot of American gun owners have is "they're the only game in town to stop this insanity". And that's what I decided, too. They were the only people with the lobbying network in place to stop banning old rifles that are less lethal than modern hunting weapons, just because they have a bayonet lug or collapsible stock, to stop the retardation of the "assault weapons" ban which does nothing to address the lethality of firearms and everything to further justifications for future bans. The NRA is indeed being a lot more rigid and unyielding over the issue than most of its members want, myself included, but they've also got the only lobbying game in Washington that's serious enough to get our voices heard on this issue, so we've got to accept the fact they won't compromise at all to at least force our opinion to be heard through the tidal wave of anti-gun propaganda. Nobody else can do it, so I swallowed my bile over the total refusal to compromise and signed up and paid the membership fee, and I don't regret it.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It doesn't matter why you support something once you're funding them. The obvious parallel is to people who fund local organisations who are the only way to get water or security and who are actually terrorists.

Except water is life and guns aren't. :v