Presidential Debate Obama VS Romney Final Round

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Presidential Debate Obama VS Romney Final Round

Post by Mr Bean »

It's all foreign policy all the time, every time so needless to say we will spend plenty of time talking about deficits and other economic issues because no moderator will ever dare to tell the two people vying for the presidency to stay on topic.

Watch it on the following stream sites

ABC News
CBS News
NBC News
Politico
Fox News
Washington post

This thread is in the same vein as the other two debate topic threads. As the title says this is the third and final debate before the 2012 election and is per the schedule 100% about foreign policy or so the rules state.

As there is no punishment for breaking the rules aside from winning the Presidency, we shall see.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Presidential Debate Obama VS Romney Final Round

Post by Mr Bean »

In Round 4 of the debate drinking game the rules are as follows
We all wrote things down and put them in a box, we all pick two words to drink to and slight change we all drink twice if Kenya or the Mormon religion is mentioned
The players are for JO, K, A, M and I

JO has Russia and Terrorists
K has State department and Israel
M has Nuclear and China
A has Iran and Sanctions
I have Libya and Freedom

We all drink if North Korea is mentioned
Yes running short on time we all get a "enemy state" and something else, our current prediction is that A is going to require a hospital trip this evening.
We are going out strong for out last debate.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Related.
Debates And Debauchery: Drinking Games In 2012

by Linton Weeks

October 22, 2012

Here's a new idea for a Presidential Debate Drinking Game: Every time someone says "Presidential Debate Drinking Game" today, take a drink. Just kidding.

But drinking games have become a familiar part of the American political landscape — like buttons, bunting and bumper stickers. Where there are political rallies, there are protesting groups. Where there are campaign speeches, there are fact checking teams. And where there are presidential candidates' debates, there are drinking games.

With the final 2012 presidential tete-a-tete, um, on tap tonight between President Obama and Mitt Romney in Boca Raton, Fla., some Americans are looking forward to the debauchery as well as the debate.

You know how a debate drinking game works. It is usually played with a group of people who are watching the event. If a candidate utters a predetermined word or phrase, you take a drink — usually of the alcoholic variety. Some Internet habitués play the game with others online — putting the mead in social media.

Games On

You can find contests tailored to the presidential debates all over the Web. The Cloture Club, a website of Washington goings-on, offers a list of two dozen utterances — such as "terrorism" and "United Nations" — and instructs players to drink each time either candidate speaks the word or phrase tonight.

NerdWallet, an investment advisory company, breaks down the challenge by candidate. According to the game rules, "Take a sip when Obama: Mentions the dwindling middle class." Or "When Romney: Interrupts the moderator."

Forward, a Jewish-oriented news site, created a drinking game especially for its readers. Debate watchers are instructed to "Take a sip if you hear: An anecdote about a Jewish lady in Florida/Ohio/Nevada or some other random swing state," among other things. And to "Pound a shot for: 'Choo-tzpah,' or any other butchered Yiddishism."

"I suppose if I were in college I, too, might be listening to the diverging opinions on healthcare and homeland security in the same way," writes Caren Osten Gerszberg in The Huffington Post. "In other words: Drink when you hear 'Obamacare'; chug when you hear mention of Al Qaeda; sip continuously if a candidate goes over his allotted response time."

She points to a College Humor drinking game that asks the question: "As two men face off in a rhetorical battle of epic proportions to determine the future of our great nation, why not booze it up?"

Hi, Bob

Do inventors of drinking games believe that an increase in the intake of alcohol might make some candidates seem more attractive or more coherent? Dan Mueller, creator of Debate Drinking, says, "Our goal isn't to make the candidates any more interesting to listen to, but rather to encourage people to watch and listen to the debates, and to do so with their friends."

Mueller, a Web designer in Dayton, Ohio, says, "We try to stay as nonpartisan and inclusive as possible." Therefore, Mueller's game avoids the " 'drink when the other side lies' type of rules," he says. "We know that people have friends and family with differing political views, and we believe that should not get in the way of sharing a beer and hearing both sides of the debates."

Words on Mueller's list include: "nuclear" and "jobs" for Obama, and "freedom" and trade" for Romney. The official rules also offer this suggestion for tonight's encounter: "If either candidate greets moderator Bob Schieffer with "Hi Bob," EVERYBODY DRINKS!"

A Sad State

As with everything else in America these days, there is a debate over Debate Drinking Games.

"Drinking games generally have the goal of encouraging alcohol consumption to levels of intoxication and, commonly, much higher than the legal limit of intoxication," says James Garbutt, a psychiatry professor and director of the Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.

Whereas a small amount of alcohol might bring on a pleasant feeling, Garbutt explains, too much alcohol can lead to a sad state "where judgment and social inhibitions can be impaired, which can lead to bad decisions and actions — think photos and videos that folks wished were never taken, on up to actions leading to legal problems or risk to health."

As alcohol levels rise, Garbutt warns, "the physical effects increase with impairment in visual acuity, reflexes, motor function and balance — the reasons why we don't want intoxicated individuals driving. Acute high alcohol levels also increase risk for health consequences such as stomach pain and reflux, vomiting with risk of inhaling vomit and pneumonia, and injuries. "

A drinking game, Garbutt adds, "may be 'fun' in the classic sense of alcohol acting as a social lubricant. But a game that encourages the development of intoxication — often to well above the legal limit of intoxication — has few pros. Needless to say, watching a presidential debate while intoxicated is not a good plan for informing oneself about issues that affect our lives."

Ancient Games

Sarah Lohman, on the other hand, thinks that presidential debate drinking games are harmless. Lohman is the creator of the historic gastronomy website Four Pounds Flour. "If you're playing a drinking game during the debates, that means you're watching it with friends," she says. "You're paying close attention, and you're probably going to talk about what they said afterwards. To me, there's nothing negative about that."

Drinking games "are almost as ancient as drinking itself," Lohman tells a gathering in Brooklyn recently. (You can listen to Lohman's "Alcohol and Drinking Games" podcast here; she begins at the 34:00 mark.) She describes a drinking game played by ancient Greeks that involved flicking wine dregs from one cup into another. She speaks of another centuries-old pastime in China that is an alcohol-laced variation of Rock, Paper, Scissors. And she tells tales of "toasting games" that migrated from England to early America.

By 1830, Lohman says, referring to a chart, the annual per capita consumption of distilled spirits in the United States was five gallons — for every man, woman and child. Such widespread imbibing led to a strong temperance movement and eventually Prohibition in the 1920s. America probably needed to dry out for a while, she tells the group. "We were a ... mess."

Nowadays, Lohman says in an interview, "we drink faaaar less alcohol today than in the 1830s. Currently, we drink a little more than two gallons per capita per year."

But by the looks of all the drinking games, some people drink a little extra — especially around election time.
:P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

LOL even ABC/Yahoo news commentator made a joke about drinking games.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Already the first drink, about terrorism, Libya , we are already taking drinks. The question is about Romney but Bob takes forty seconds to ask it.

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I wonder if he's going to say "Arab Winter." How many drinks is that worth? :P
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

We are already drinking tons, I'm not going to count drinks tonight only questions.
Romney's first answer was very weak

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Romney says comprehensive plan, no details mentioned
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Obama's response was just as weak. Romney keeps mentioning Mali over and over again.

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Haha "the 1980's called, they want their foreign policy back."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Obama gets, TWO good barbs in.
1. I know you've never had a chance to implement any foreign policy
2. You have a history of always being wrong on foreign policy.

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Oh wah, Romney whines about being attacked. Conservatives will paint Obama as "bullying" just like they tried to do with Biden.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Second question is Syria and the spill over into Lebanon, Obama what's your response to the lack of firm Syria response, decent question but again... rambling as all hell.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Romney:We will do what we are already doing unlike what Obama is doing already! It will be different because I'll be doing it instead of him!

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

30k killed by their own government? Oh right, Syria. I thought he was about to start talking about drug policy.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Romney's facial expression looks like he's either a smug asshole or supremely constipated, I don't like this split screen view.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Bob:Will you do anything more than Obama is doing?
Romney:Blah, blah, blah... nope, fyi Obama is weak

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Obama goes back to Libya during the Syria discussion to take a barb at Mitt.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Nice of Mitt to clarify he's all for arming the rebels & fighting proxy war in Syria to install a pro-America regime. No way that backfires.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

From twitter:

RT @adamliaw This US Presidential #debate sure is spending a lot of time discussing how to run countries that aren't in the United States.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

KIA is the initials of those in Beans drinking game most likely to be KIA tonight from alcohol poisoning...

An early reveal of the topics shows there will be an inordinate amount of time spent on the Middle East. Then some on China.

Romney will change every position he's taken so far, perhaps changing during the debate itself. The one thing that I can guarantee is he's probably planning on killing more folks in the ME. Why? He's got Bush's warhawk buddies on his team. Vote Romney for more land wars in Asia!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

RT @LiamPomfret Before, when America armed and trained a Middle Eastern group to remove an oppressive regime, they ended up training Osama Bin Laden #debate
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Romney's trying so hard to dial down on the typical Republican chickenhawk rhetoric. Problem is, that forces him to be wishy washy and basically agree with Obama's foreign policy without really admitting that agreement. Show "leadership" in Syria without using the military at all? How is it different than the current course? It's not. Just goes to show that Romney's claims of having "strong leadership" was all a bunch of big talk.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

And Romney starts economy talk
Obama, I double fucking dog dare you to ask him on raw numbers how many billions do we need to spend more than everyone else combined to be safe.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2012-10-22 09:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

America's Role in the World. Pretty broad third topic.