Deadbeat Dad Tells Employed Lawyer to "Get a Job"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Deadbeat Dad Tells Employed Lawyer to "Get a Job"

Post by Flagg »

TPM Video At Link
Joe Walsh To Sandra Fluke: ‘Get A Job’ (VIDEO)
Evan McMorris-Santoro-September 8, 2012, 2:00 PM
Add freshman tea party Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) to the list of Republicans attacking Sandra Fluke after her appearance at the Democratic National Convention.

At a campaign stop Saturday in Addison, IL, Walsh, who faces a tough reelection battle, went on a self-described rant about Fluke, attacking her support for contraception coverage and telling the law student to “get a job.”

“So at the Democratic Convention Wednesday night their first prime time speaker was Sandra Fluke, whatever her name is,” Walsh said. “Think about this, a 31-32 year old law student who has been a student for life, who gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, ‘I want America to pay for my contraceptives.’ You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job Sandra Fluke.”

“This a woman who feels entitled that we all should pay for her contraceptives,” he said. “This is what we are teaching Americans? That was embarrassing. That was embarrassing.”

Fluke emerged on the national stage after Rush Limbaugh called her a “slut” following her public support for a contraception coverage mandate from the Obama administration. Lately Fluke has emerged as a surrogate for President Obama and Democrats on the campaign trail, which has drawn fresh criticism from Republicans.

Walsh’s opponent, Tammy Duckworth, also spoke at the Democratic convention in Charlotte. Walsh rose to prominence with the tea party in 2010 and his defeat has become a cause celebre in progressive and Democratic circles.

Here’s video of Walsh captured by a progressive tracker with CREDO SuperPAC.

The transcript:
Deadbeat Dad Shitstain wrote:How about this? This one kills me, then I’ll be done with my rant.
So at the Democratic Convention Wednesday night their first prime time speaker was Sandra Fluke — Fluke, Fluke, whatever her name is.

Think about this: a 31-32 year old law student who’s been a student for life, who gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, “I want America to pay for my contraceptives.” You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job Sandra Fluke.

This is what, I was offended. We’ve got Americans who are struggling. We’ve got parents in this country who are struggling to buy sneakers that their kids can wear to school that just started. We’ve got parents up and down my district who are barely keeping their house. And, and, and, we have to be confronted by a woman, the Democratic Party this is what they stand for. Their going to put a woman in front of us who is complaining that the country — you, me and you — won’t pay the 9 dollars per month to pay for her contraceptives.

How crazy is this? In a way it’s not her fault, because we teach people this stuff. You go back to fairness, we teach young people this. Don’t worry, government will take care of you. You’re having trouble with your student loans? Don’t worry, government will be there for you.

We are raising the Sandra Flukes of the world. We’re raising Americans who don’t know how to take care of themselves, who feel entitled. This a woman who feels entitled that we all should pay for her contraceptives. This is what we are teaching Americans? That was embarrassing. That was embarrassing.

Sahil Kapur contributed to this report
Why isn't he in prison for not paying back child support?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Re: Deadbeat Dad Tells Employed Lawyer to "Get a Job"

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Contraception is such an odd pick for government entitlement to go apeshit over.

$9 a month to prevent a pregnancy the would cost 10x as much in tax exemptions alone.

Every unwanted pregnancy prevented allows for the tax paying female to continue generating taxable revenue and contribute to the system.

I just don't understand why the party is using this as one of their crucial arguments when there are so many others that actually cost more money than they save.

Carried interest, I am looking at you. Not that either party is willing to put the screws anywhere near that rich people's playtoy.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

It's red meat for the base who care more about inflicting their backwards morality on people than they do about anything else, especially reality.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Flagg wrote:Why isn't he in prison for not paying back child support?

Because you don't go to prison for back child support. You might go to jail for a few months, if you're unemployed and have no way to pay, but jail and prison aren't the same thing.

Not that I dissagree with your general point.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
kc8tbe
Padawan Learner

Post by kc8tbe »

Think about this: a 31-32 year old law student who’s been a student for life, who gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, “I want America to pay for my contraceptives.” You’re kidding me.
Contraception is such an odd pick for government entitlement to go apeshit over... Every unwanted pregnancy prevented allows for the tax paying female to continue generating taxable revenue and contribute to the system.
Limbaugh really seems to be missing the point of the Republican party's anti-contraception movement. He's portraying it as a battle over entitlements when it's a battle over reproductive rights and the role of women in society. Why do republicans oppose contraception when it allows tax-paying females to continue generating taxable revenue? Because, in their view, a women's contribution to the system should be as an obedient wife and childbearer, not as a part of the labor force.

Replace the word "contraception" with something like "Viagara" and Limbaugh mostly has a point. It is a little bit ripe for someone who has never had a job to demand that taxpayers buy her something... unless it is something necessary for both her health and that of a modern society with gender equality. Also, although Fluke is a law student now, it appears that she has been employed in the past. Even if she has been a student her entire life, it is probable that she is paying taxes on a stipend, which may be privately sourced.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Could someone link me where it shows this guy is a 'deadbeat dad'? I've checked the link and I don't see anything that supports that.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Or where she as a law student is actually a lawyer?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Block wrote:Or where she as a law student is actually a lawyer?
She graduated.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

TimothyC wrote:Could someone link me where it shows this guy is a 'deadbeat dad'? I've checked the link and I don't see anything that supports that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Walsh_ ... olitician)
In July 2011, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that Walsh's ex-wife, Laura, was suing him for $117,437 for past due child support dating from 2005 for three of the children.[14] Walsh allegedly told his ex-wife that he did not have the money because he was out of work.[14][61] Walsh's attorney said that Walsh did not owe "anywhere near that amount," and that he had had no more problems paying child support than "any other average guy".[61] Walsh and his ex-wife were reportedly trying to work out a settlement of the disputed past due amount as of late July 2011.[14] Walsh's financial problems inspired the proposal of a bill which would forbid people owing more than $10,000 in back child support from running for office in Illinois.[62] On April 20, 2012, a judge dismissed the child-support dispute. In a joint statement Walsh and his ex-wife Laura stated, "Having resolved these issues together and cleared up these mistakes in private, we now agree that Joe is not and was not a 'deadbeat dad' and does not owe child support."
I love the part where the ex to takes back that he's a deadbeat dad despite him clearly being a deadbeat dad. Just because he finally paid up doesn't mean you're not still a deadbeat piece of shit.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Law students are also usually gainfully employed... or working as an unpaid (or paid, kinda depends) intern or law clerk while in law school. In fact, that is often a graduation requirement in law schools.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Law students are also usually gainfully employed... or working as an unpaid (or paid, kinda depends) intern or law clerk while in law school. In fact, that is often a graduation requirement in law schools.
but still not a lawyer.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Block wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
but still not a lawyer.
No, but she is now. Just saying.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:

Source for her having passed the bar?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

fgalkin wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:

Source for her having passed the bar?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
She graduated this past spring, and thus we wont know about that until late october or november. I suppose it would be more proper to call her a law school graduate. Either way, she is not unemployed.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Her name is certainly listed as an alumni from her university.

Alumni in the news for her university

She may or may not be working as a lawyer now, however its clear she has worked in the past. For example in the non profit Sanctuary for families organisation, which is easily verifiable from looking at her wiki page and following the links back. So this jibe of "get a job" is bullshit.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Contraception is such an odd pick for government entitlement to go apeshit over.

$9 a month to prevent a pregnancy the would cost 10x as much in tax exemptions alone.

Every unwanted pregnancy prevented allows for the tax paying female to continue generating taxable revenue and contribute to the system.

I just don't understand why the party is using this as one of their crucial arguments when there are so many others that actually cost more money than they save.
The ass-backwards stupidity called morality by their voters. All they need is to hear contraception and they instantly picture some whore that can't go two hours without a dick or several. Then they hear that she wants to get insurance for them, and... well, Fluke is lucky she hasn't been beaten to paste by some raving mad rightwinger for her words. Everything else is secondary to it. Fluke for them is a combination of promiscuity, liberalism and welfare, all things that set them off.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

I've been seeing on the interwebs, Right Wingers comparing Fluke to Saratoga Springs Mayor and Congressional Candidate Mia Love (a black Tea Party media darling.) With them putting up Mia Love as an example of Republican Responsibility and Fluke an example of Democratic irresponsibility and entitlement.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

kc8tbe wrote:
Think about this: a 31-32 year old law student who’s been a student for life, who gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, “I want America to pay for my contraceptives.” You’re kidding me.
Contraception is such an odd pick for government entitlement to go apeshit over... Every unwanted pregnancy prevented allows for the tax paying female to continue generating taxable revenue and contribute to the system.
Limbaugh really seems to be missing the point of the Republican party's anti-contraception movement. He's portraying it as a battle over entitlements when it's a battle over reproductive rights and the role of women in society. Why do republicans oppose contraception when it allows tax-paying females to continue generating taxable revenue? Because, in their view, a women's contribution to the system should be as an obedient wife and childbearer, not as a part of the labor force.

Replace the word "contraception" with something like "Viagara" and Limbaugh mostly has a point. It is a little bit ripe for someone who has never had a job to demand that taxpayers buy her something... unless it is something necessary for both her health and that of a modern society with gender equality. Also, although Fluke is a law student now, it appears that she has been employed in the past. Even if she has been a student her entire life, it is probable that she is paying taxes on a stipend, which may be privately sourced.
You are aware here that she doesn't want tax payers to pay for contraception right? She wants the insurance policy, which she is paying for, to cover the contraception. That is what the ACA requires and is something completely different from what the republicans, and apparently you, are claiming.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
kc8tbe
Padawan Learner

Post by kc8tbe »

You are aware here that she doesn't want tax payers to pay for contraception right? She wants the insurance policy, which she is paying for, to cover the contraception. That is what the ACA requires and is something completely different from what the republicans, and apparently you, are claiming.
Money is fungible. Health insurance will be subsidized by the government for low-income individuals, and that health insurance will be required to cover contraception. The money for that subsidy ultimately comes from tax revenue. So yes, Fluke is advocating for a scenario where taxpayers help pay for contraception. As it happens I agree with her, and I'm not sure how you get off thinking that I'm a Republican...

You can also look at it from the perspective of one of the few Catholic women at Georgetown who doesn't use contraception. If Georgetown includes contraception in their insurance policy, the premiums for that policy will go up by some finite (although very small) amount. Women who use and do not use contraception will both have to pay the higher premium, but only the women who use contraception will benefit.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

kc8tbe, are you talking about the Republicans point of view?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
kc8tbe
Padawan Learner

Post by kc8tbe »

I'm trying to point out what has Republicans so alarmed, yes. But my genuine understanding is that, under the Patient Protection & Affordable Healthcare Act, taxpayers will help pay for contraception. (Note that this was already the case, since Medicaid covers contraception and family planning in many states.) Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Flagg wrote:
She graduated.
But... your title specifically says "Employed Lawyer." Now, I've nothing against the unemployed, but in my world the definition of employed is "engages in remunerative work" could you clarify if she is doing so? As a lawyer? While 'get a job' is an utterance that is usually stupid, or unhelpful at best, it's not actually hypocritical unless she actually has remunerative work. Does she?

I mean, ostensibly I'm sure she's getting paid to appear at political events, but this doesn't translate to "employed lawyer."
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

kc8tbe wrote:I'm trying to point out what has Republicans so alarmed, yes. But my genuine understanding is that, under the Patient Protection & Affordable Healthcare Act, taxpayers will help pay for contraception. (Note that this was already the case, since Medicaid covers contraception and family planning in many states.) Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.
If it is the money.... paying for contraception actually lowers the cost of the premium because birth control reduces the risk of expensive pregnancies.

But that is not the real reason they care. They care, because they think birth control is evil, because they are crazy.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

kc8tbe wrote:I'm trying to point out what has Republicans so alarmed, yes. But my genuine understanding is that, under the Patient Protection & Affordable Healthcare Act, taxpayers will help pay for contraception. (Note that this was already the case, since Medicaid covers contraception and family planning in many states.) Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.
Technically, its not taxpayers but insurance providers.

And we already do know that a lot of insurance companies don't mind paying for contraception because abortions/unplanned pregnancies are more expensive

Regarding Catholics, tough luck.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner