Lance Armstrong To Lose All Tour de France Medals...

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Lance Armstrong To Lose All Tour de France Medals...

Post by FSTargetDrone »

...and he will be banned from competitive cycling for life:
USADA says it will ban Lance Armstrong, strip 7 Tour titles

By Brent Schrotenboer, USA TODAY

Declaring "enough is enough," Lance Armstrong says he will not fight charges brought by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which said it will ban Armstrong from competition for life and strip him of the seven Tour de France titles that turned him into an American hero.

Armstrong said his decision did not mean he would accept USADA's sanctions. His lawyers threatened a lawsuit if USADA proceeded, arguing the agency must first resolve a dispute with the International Cycling Union over whether the case should be pursued.

"It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes," USADA CEO Travis Tygart said. "This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all-costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition."

In walking away, the 40-year-old Armstrong cited a familiar defense: he has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. He said his decision is not an admission of guilt, but a choice to devote more time to his family and his Livestrong foundation for cancer survivors. Armstrong overcame advanced cancer just a few years before his string of Tour de France victories.

"I know who won those seven Tours," Armstrong said in a statement. "The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially Travis Tygart."

Armstrong said he will "commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities."

Jeffery C. Garvey, board member of Livestrong, says the charity supports his decision and looks forward to his future work. "Lance's legacy in the cancer community is unparalleled," Garvey said in a statement.

The news caught many riders at the USA Pro Cycling race in Colorado off guard. Armstrong's entire RadioShack-Trek squad declined comment. The team, returning to their hotel from dinner, hurried into an elevator.

Bissell Pro Cyling team member Ben Jacques-Maynes, who has raced as a pro in the United States since 2002, called it "huge" news.

"This is bigger than Floyd (Lanids), Tyler (Hamilton) and (Alberto) Contador put together," he said from the USA Pro Cycling race in Colorado. "I hope this will be the first step to realizing how poisoned this sport has been and how far we still need to come in order to move on."

On Monday, a federal judge dismissed Armstrong's case against USADA and said the agency can rightfully claim jurisdiction over the cyclist's case. Judge Sam Sparks also rejected Armstrong's claim that the arbitration process was biased, ruling that the cyclist must seek victory there before asking a court to intervene, as Armstrong agreed to do in applying for cycling licenses. Sparks did raise several issues of fairness in USADA's "vague" charging letter, but said those issues could be argued as part of the arbitration.

Armstrong declined, saying, "I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair" and said USADA has "zero physical evidence" to support its "outlandish and heinous claims."

Instead, Armstrong attorney Tim Herman fired a letter off to USADA Thursday that suggested Armstrong would sue if USADA moves to sanction him. "You are on notice that if USADA makes any public statement claiming, without jurisdiction, to sanction Mr. Armstrong, or to falsely characterize Mr. Armstrong's reasons for not requesting an arbitration as anything other than a recognition of UCI jurisdiction and authority, USADA and anyone involved in the making of the statement will be liable," Herman wrote.

Herman told USADA it could submit its case against Armstrong to UCI or the international Court of Arbitration for Sport, based in Switzerland.

By declining to go to arbitration, Armstrong and his legal team sent the message that he no longer wants to participate in a fight he doesn't consider fair. After years of rumors and accusations of cheating, many people already had made up their mind about him - a point that wasn't lost on Armstrong.

His charity has enjoyed strong support despite the doping allegations, though Armstrong's popularity has slipped, according to Q Scores, which measures the likeability of celebrities.

Sanctions against Armstrong could mark the end of a long sporting saga that once captivated the world. A native of Austin, Texas, Armstrong successful fight against cancer and remarkable career inspired millions of other survivors and gave rise to Livestrong and its iconic yellow bracelets.

Armstrong previously was subject of a federal investigation into whether he committed fraud while on the USPS team, not whether he doped. That investigation was stopped earlier this year with no charges filed. USADA then brought its own non-criminal case against Armstrong, citing its authority to protect the integrity of sports as authorized by Congress.

Armstrong described it as "Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt."

USADA has consistently said its mission is to keep sports clean and that Armstrong was being handled like any other accused athlete. The agency said Armstrong should be held to the same rules as everybody else and should not have "a new set of rules that apply only to him."

In its letter of charges dated June 12, USADA accused Armstrong of being part of a sophisticated doping conspiracy involving five other members from his U.S. Postal Service cycling team, including doctors, a trainer and coach.

Two declined to fight, leading to swift lifetime bans from USADA. The other three decided to fight the charges in arbitration.

Jim Ochowicz, who managed Armstrong on the Motorola team, declined to comment directly on Armstrong's decision. He said cycling had "moved on."

"As far as the sport is concerned, this is something that has been in play since 1999," he said. "It's a long story, and quite frankly the sport has moved on to other things. This is old news."

Contributing: Fred Dreier in Colorado.
Expect more news on this, for sure (Edit: I changed the short news item to a longer one from another site).

And here is a statement from his website:
Lance Armstong's Statement of August 23, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas - August 23rd, 2012 - There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense.

I had hoped that a federal court would stop USADA’s charade. Although the court was sympathetic to my concerns and recognized the many improprieties and deficiencies in USADA’s motives, its conduct, and its process, the court ultimately decided that it could not intervene.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA’s process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and – once and for all – put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims. The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?

From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation. As respected organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges. The international bodies governing cycling have ordered USADA to stop, have given notice that no one should participate in USADA’s improper proceedings, and have made it clear the pronouncements by USADA that it has banned people for life or stripped them of their accomplishments are made without authority. And as many others, including USADA’s own arbitrators, have found, there is nothing even remotely fair about its process. USADA has broken the law, turned its back on its own rules, and stiff-armed those who have tried to persuade USADA to honor its obligations. At every turn, USADA has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods, all at U.S. taxpayers’ expense. For the last two months, USADA has endlessly repeated the mantra that there should be a single set of rules, applicable to all, but they have arrogantly refused to practice what they preach. On top of all that, USADA has allegedly made deals with other riders that circumvent their own rules as long as they said I cheated. Many of those riders continue to race today.

The bottom line is I played by the rules that were put in place by the UCI, WADA and USADA when I raced. The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex-teammate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves. It’s an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It’s just not right.

USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles. I know who won those seven Tours, my teammates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours. We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront. There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart.

Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities. This October, my Foundation will celebrate 15 years of service to cancer survivors and the milestone of raising nearly $500 million. We have a lot of work to do and I'm looking forward to an end to this pointless distraction. I have a responsibility to all those who have stepped forward to devote their time and energy to the cancer cause. I will not stop fighting for that mission. Going forward, I am going to devote myself to raising my five beautiful (and energetic) kids, fighting cancer, and attempting to be the fittest 40-year old on the planet.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Re: Lance Armstrong To Lose All Tour de France Medals...

Post by thejester »

So...nothing new has come to light. Armstrong is just refusing to enter arbitration.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So how does this even work? The organization can just arbitrarily say "you lose your medals" with no evidence?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Simon_Jester wrote:So how does this even work? The organization can just arbitrarily say "you lose your medals" with no evidence?
Yes and even better it's past their own statue of limitations so yeah no hard evidence, past the statue of limitations that defines witchhunt to me.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Not fighting it screams "guilty" to me.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yup. Now he can always claim to be "alleged" and never "found guilty".
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I go so far as to wonder whether steroid abuse caused his testicular cancer.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanks Chael Sonnen.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

If they wanted to do this to him why didn't they do so when the evidence was fresh instead of all this hand wringing and waiting? There won't be any physical evidence left at this stage so what do they hope to 'prove'?
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I also do not see how you can really find relevant physical evidence 17 years after the supposed doping.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Is anybody here that supports stripping Lance's medals able to give any evidence as to why they feel he is guilty?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Jub wrote:Is anybody here that supports this able to give any evidence as to why they feel he is guilty?
You can read the allegations for yourself and decide. Basically, what it boils down to is that eyewitnesses (ergo, other cyclists who got caught) assert that team doctors continually developed and deployed methods to dope cyclists, and methods to evade detection. They also note that Armstrong was foremost in taking such treatments, and pushing them on his teammates.

EDIT:

On top of that, almost every Tour de France winner from 1996 to 2006 was caught cheating. The notable exception? Lance Armstrong. Furthermore, as technology to catch cheaters has improved, Tour de France cyclists have gotten five percent worse in certain performance metrics (such as mountain-climbing time) than cyclists of that period.
Last edited by GrandMasterTerwynn on 2012-08-24 01:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Jub wrote:Is anybody here that supports this able to give any evidence as to why they feel he is guilty?
You can read the allegations for yourself and decide. Basically, what it boils down to is that eyewitnesses (ergo, other cyclists who got caught) assert that team doctors continually developed and deployed methods to dope cyclists, and methods to evade detection. They also note that Armstrong was foremost in taking such treatments, and pushing them on his teammates.
Then where is the evidence for this? Eye witness accounts by a bunch of people who weren't as famous and possibly jealous mean pretty little.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I'm more interested in the physical evidence; there's been a lot of talk about Lance turning up positive in some doping results that were covered up but nothing concrete has ever emerged.

That USADA is apparently relying on "He said, she said" without bothering with actual test results doesn't seem very credible on their part.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Zinegata wrote:That USADA is apparently relying on "He said, she said" without bothering with actual test results doesn't seem very credible on their part.
More like "A bunch of people claiming to have witnessed it versus one guy saying "Na Uh!" You don't need physical evidence to send a guy to death row, let alone to take away some trivial in comparison bicycle racing titles.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Flagg wrote:
Zinegata wrote:That USADA is apparently relying on "He said, she said" without bothering with actual test results doesn't seem very credible on their part.
More like "A bunch of people claiming to have witnessed it versus one guy saying "Na Uh!" You don't need physical evidence to send a guy to death row, let alone to take away some trivial in comparison bicycle racing titles.
Not needing that sort of evidence for death row is pretty damning of a legal system that would participate in such actions. Not needing it for stripping medals stinks of a witch hunt.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Jub wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Not needing that sort of evidence for death row is pretty damning of a legal system that would participate in such actions. Not needing it for stripping medals stinks of a witch hunt.
By all means, prove it's a witch hunt.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Flagg wrote:By all means, prove it's a witch hunt.
I can point to a massive lack of any actual evidence aside from some allegedly covered up results and some he said she said finger pointing. What evidence, if any, do you have that he actually took anything he's being accused of?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Jub wrote:
Flagg wrote:By all means, prove it's a witch hunt.
I can point to a massive lack of any actual evidence aside from some allegedly covered up results and some he said she said finger pointing. What evidence, if any, do you have that he actually took anything he's being accused of?
Eyewitnesses, you dumbshit. That's all the evidence you really need. Unless you can prove these are just jealous liars, which is a pretty bold statement to make.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Flagg wrote: By all means, prove it's a witch hunt.
Flagg, Lance Armstrong has been drug tested several hundred times over a period of years. He passed all of them. Exactly how long is he expected to continue passing the same tests over, and over, and over again as a retired athlete?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Flagg wrote:Eyewitnesses, you dumbshit. That's all the evidence you really need. Unless you can prove these are just jealous liars, which is a pretty bold statement to make.
There is still the question of how reliable these witnesses are, or the fact that nobody has anything solid to form this case on. If I get a bunch of people to say 'Flagg smoked crack back in college' would that make you guilty of it?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Todeswind wrote:
Flagg wrote: By all means, prove it's a witch hunt.
Flagg, Lance Armstrong has been drug tested several hundred times over a period of years. He passed all of them. Exactly how long is he expected to continue passing the same tests over, and over, and over again as a retired athlete?
As many times as they ask him to? If he's not using he has nothing to fear. His pulling out of arbitration and giving up his titles tells me all I need to know. He can whine all he wants about how unfair it all is, if he had cooperated he could have proven himself innocent. Assuming he was innocent. Which considering the eyewitnesses and his capitulation is a hell of an assumption to make.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Jub wrote:
Flagg wrote:Eyewitnesses, you dumbshit. That's all the evidence you really need. Unless you can prove these are just jealous liars, which is a pretty bold statement to make.
There is still the question of how reliable these witnesses are, or the fact that nobody has anything solid to form this case on. If I get a bunch of people to say 'Flagg smoked crack back in college' would that make you guilty of it?
If they were in a position to know what I was doing, then I'd be pretty well fucked in court whether they made it up or not. Like Armstrong would have been.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Flagg wrote:
Todeswind wrote:
As many times as they ask him to? If he's not using he has nothing to fear. His pulling out of arbitration and giving up his titles tells me all I need to know. He can whine all he wants about how unfair it all is, if he had cooperated he could have proven himself innocent. Assuming he was innocent. Which considering the eyewitnesses and his capitulation is a hell of an assumption to make.
I was unaware you favored the "guilty until proven innocent" approach. For that matter I was under the impression the burden of proof was upon the accuser rather than the accused.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Flagg wrote:As many times as they ask him to? If he's not using he has nothing to fear. His pulling out of arbitration and giving up his titles tells me all I need to know. He can whine all he wants about how unfair it all is, if he had cooperated he could have proven himself innocent. Assuming he was innocent. Which considering the eyewitnesses and his capitulation is a hell of an assumption to make.
Flagg, piss in a cup each and everyday and send it in for testing, otherwise people are going to deny all of your best achievements. See how that works?
Flagg wrote:If they were in a position to know what I was doing, then I'd be pretty well fucked in court whether they made it up or not. Like Armstrong would have been.
So you're saying that you think he's guilty because a bunch of people, who could be a lying pack of assholes, say he is? Wow, standards much?