Embedding WORKS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Embedding WORKS

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/ ... index.html

In our Behind the Scenes series, CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news and newsmakers around the world.

IRAQI DESERT (CNN) -- Imagine a giant wave of steel sweeping across the southern Iraqi desert, and imagine that almost hourly the wave grows in strength and numbers.

As we ride through this desert, we can see the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry Division's heavy mechanized units have moved up. This giant wave of steel that grows every hour is ever pushing northward, ever pushing toward the Iraqi capital of Baghdad.

The goal is to intimidate the Iraqis and pressure them. If that doesn't work, then they can smash the Iraqi regime, so powerful is this force that is building out here in the desert.

I am traveling with photographer Charlie Miller. We are transmitting images on a videophone, and we were very, very fortunate. We knew we wanted this particular embed assignment, the 7th Cavalry Regiment, because we knew they were the tip of the tip of the spear.

Charlie's riding out the passenger-side window in the front. What Charlie is doing is holding a mini-cam out the window, bracing it as best he can on the car frame, which accounts for some of the jiggling in the picture.

But even those 68-ton, 69-ton Abrams tanks are bouncing along -- not as much as we are in our Humvee, but there's not a perfectly smooth ride out here.

Jeff Barwise, our engineer, is making all the pictures fly through the air. He does magic. And he's out of CNN Atlanta. Between the two of them, Charlie and Jeff, they're bringing these images to you as we roll through the desert. It's a total CNN team.

The Pentagon generally has given the embedded reporters access to our own vehicles, which gives us the capacity to broadcast live on the road.

If we were, for example, to stand in any position for any period of time, we would be able to throw up a satellite dish and it would be just like local TV in the sense that here you are standing in front of a tank and here you are on the road to Baghdad. And you would have high-resolution pictures.

When we get to any sort of standing position -- if the cavalry ever stands -- then indeed you would have an opportunity for broadcasting like you've never seen before.

That isn't possible when we're on the move with the Seventh Cavalry. But I have been just amazed at what we are seeing: an army in real time, rolling across the desert at 40 or 50 mph en route to its objective, or the first of several objectives.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

I just hope that there is someone, with their finger on the disconnect button, in case of a sensative tactical info "leak."
The reporter's and the soldier's missions are not the same.
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Emperor Chrostas the Crue wrote:I just hope that there is someone, with their finger on the disconnect button, in case of a sensative tactical info "leak."
Actually, CNN repeatedly says that it is its policy not to disclose important information. Walter Rodgers, for instance, repeatedly says he does not want to disclose their exact location.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Armed forces made them all agree not to reveal operational information or locations, and asked that they not show footage of any KIA's until the next of kin has been notified. Beyond that they're pretty free to show what they want, which is quite a lot.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Emperor Chrostas the Crue wrote:I just hope that there is someone, with their finger on the disconnect button, in case of a sensative tactical info "leak."
Of course there is.

It is also useful for blocking footage of a slaughter of PoW's, like what happend in the previous war.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: Embedding WORKS

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:That isn't possible when we're on the move with the Seventh Cavalry. But I have been just amazed at what we are seeing: an army in real time, rolling across the desert at 40 or 50 mph en route to its objective, or the first of several objectives.
I wonder how long it'll be until they're able to get a stabilized, self-locking satellite uplink so that they'll be able to report on the move.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Ted wrote:
Of course there is.

It is also useful for blocking footage of a slaughter of PoW's, like what happend in the previous war.
killing of prisoners has happened in EVERY war, and EVERY side fighting has probably been guilty of commiting the crime when it's been at war. It's just far easier to take care of a dead enemy prisoner than it is to take care of a live enemy prisoner.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Ted wrote: It is also useful for blocking footage of a slaughter of PoW's, like what happend in the previous war.
Say what? Feel free to provide evidence.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Ted wrote:
Of course there is.

I'm calling you on this one asshat, this is bullshit. Which PoWs? The Iraqi's or the American's? Which is it?

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ted wrote:
Of course there is.

Proof, Troll?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ted wrote:
Of course there is.

Ted, you really must learn to think for a moment before posting. Such a claim requires at least some evidence!