Where are the Republican Guards?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Where are the Republican Guards?

Post by Trytostaydead »

So far it seems as if the US coalition forces have met very minimal resistance upon their advance mostly from poor under-fed troops. So, where are the rest of their divisions, and more importantly.. where are the Republican Guards? It seems as if they pulled them all back into the cities since last time they went toe to toe over open ground with the US cost them dearly.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

They'll most likely be in or around Bagdad , or some other strategic positions.
They won't be so stupid to try some huge battles on open ground...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

There's a report from Sky News, several hours old now, that the 3rd ID was halted at An-Nasiriyah by what's apparently an RGFC force. There was another report of U.S. forces being halted while attempting to cross the Euphrates; putting two and two together, an RGFC force may have been stationed to defend the Euphrates crossing at An-Nasiriyah.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

I heard that the Republican guard unit earmarked for the defense of Basra was pulled back to Baghdad a while ago.
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club
Posbi
Padawan Learner

Post by Posbi »

They said in the news that Basra's expected to fall this night...what the hell are the Iraquis doing? :?
They had literally months to prepare their defenses, they know the terrain, and last but not least, they are defending their homes! And yet, their performance till now seems to be even worse than in the 2nd Gulf War. And this comes from someone with a raher neutral POV (well, that's not true, I got relatives fighting in the US forces down there).

I mean, just look at the casualties so far. One allied soldier kia. One! That's either pure incompetance or simply a total lack of fighting on the Iraqis' side. They did an amphibious assault on Fao while US Marines attacked the harbour city of Al Kuurn (?Marina?). That means inner-city fighting, an environment in which the usefulness of the US high-tech arsenal is severly limited. And they took it in less than one day. :shock:

And if it's true that Saddam's recalled the RG Corps that was leading the defense of Basra, one can, considering the recent events, count on the fact that the attack on Iraq's second largest city will start tonight...
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:There's a report from Sky News, several hours old now, that the 3rd ID was halted at An-Nasiriyah by what's apparently an RGFC force. There was another report of U.S. forces being halted while attempting to cross the Euphrates; putting two and two together, an RGFC force may have been stationed to defend the Euphrates crossing at An-Nasiriyah.
They had another report yesterday that stated, roughly, that 20% (give or take a few) of the Republican Guard units in Baghdad were fragmenting.

Not that I blame them...
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

You have to undertsand that the vast majority of the army are conscripts that are forced to figfht. So now when faced with the prospect of fighting and dying for a man they despise, well, they would much rather lay down their arms. The elite core of his army, the Republican Guard are the ones that will be doing the fighting and dying for him. The rest of the army is probably fleeing their positions, trying to get the hell out of the way of the oncoming coalition forces. Reporters have been seeing abandoned vehicles and positions littering the roads on their way into Iraq lending credence to this notion.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Dahak wrote:They'll most likely be in or around Bagdad , or some other strategic positions.
They won't be so stupid to try some huge battles on open ground...
That's probably the best answer. They're hoping to draw coalition forces into a MOUT fight.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Any word on the RG commander that was negotiating a surrender? Was he negotiating his own personal defection or the surrender of his force? There's been a lot of talk that Saddam was wounded badly in the first attack-- Fox said he was seen pulled out of a ruined bunker on a gurney with a oxy mask on-- so if he's incapacitated (or dead) there'd be a lot of fragmenting in the ranks.

Analysts so far says that there is a remarkable lack of cohesion among Iraqi forces, too, supporting the idea that the head is, if not dead, then not entirely functioning.

Of course, I can easily see an ambitious and ballsy RG commander trying to stage a coup and set himself up as the provisional leader in the jhopes that the Americans would accept and support him. I don't think any RG leader should escape scrutiny for past actions, though, since they were probably the ones in charge of ethnic cleansings of Kurds and Shi'ites...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Lets hope the bastard's dead. Of course, if that is so, someone, somewhere, will probably hold him up as a martyr...
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

"They talked about them in these hushed tones, like: 'We're doing well, but we have yet to face the Elite Republican guard" As if they're 10 feet tall, desert warriors! Never lost a battle! We shit bullets!

"Well, after a month of continuous carpet bombing and not ONE response from these people, they becam simply "The Republican Guard". Not quite as elite as we would have had you believe. After more carpet bombing and zero response, they went from "The Republican Guard" to "The Republicans made this shit up about their being guards out here. Please enjoy your fireworks show." --Bill Hicks, on the original Gulf War
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Coyote wrote:Any word on the RG commander that was negotiating a surrender? Was he negotiating his own personal defection or the surrender of his force?

No word that I've heard. He was probably trying to defect and maybe take his force with him.
Coyote wrote:There's been a lot of talk that Saddam was wounded badly in the first attack-- Fox said he was seen pulled out of a ruined bunker on a gurney with a oxy mask on-- so if he's incapacitated (or dead) there'd be a lot of fragmenting in the ranks.

Analysts so far says that there is a remarkable lack of cohesion among Iraqi forces, too, supporting the idea that the head is, if not dead, then not entirely functioning.
It's possible we got Saddam. But I doubt it. If those sources were more reliable it would be something widely talked about.

The confusion are probably the results of strikes on the Iraqi command structure. It's what we need in the first war and it worked. Once the higher up are taken out coscript armies tend to fall apart, even more in Arab armies.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

The Republican Guard is overestimated.
Their equipment is outdated and they're still less trained than the normal US or UK soldier, however they come much closer than the army conscripts.
Anyway, most of them are probably hiding in Bagdhad.
Supermod
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

There was the same question during the 1st Gulf War.

It started off the ELITE Republican Guard Duh Duh Dah. After one week of carpet bombing it became The Republican Guard not so ELITE now, one more week of carpet bombing and it became just the Guards and after one more week of bombing it became The Republicans where making this shit up about their being guards.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Posbi wrote:They said in the news that Basra's expected to fall this night...what the hell are the Iraquis doing? :?
They had literally months to prepare their defenses, they know the terrain, and last but not least, they are defending their homes! And yet, their performance till now seems to be even worse than in the 2nd Gulf War. And this comes from someone with a raher neutral POV (well, that's not true, I got relatives fighting in the US forces down there).

I mean, just look at the casualties so far. One allied soldier kia. One! That's either pure incompetance or simply a total lack of fighting on the Iraqis' side. They did an amphibious assault on Fao while US Marines attacked the harbour city of Al Kuurn (?Marina?). That means inner-city fighting, an environment in which the usefulness of the US high-tech arsenal is severly limited. And they took it in less than one day. :shock:

And if it's true that Saddam's recalled the RG Corps that was leading the defense of Basra, one can, considering the recent events, count on the fact that the attack on Iraq's second largest city will start tonight...
IMHO: However not a single Iraqi conscript truly , when its decision time, has the desire to fight for Saddam. They might on camera and in the press mouth all the proper phrases, be Anti-American and Cheer the name of Saddam, but in reallity they despise and fear him, and this time were really coming to take him out, why fight and die for nothing. They would much rather surrender, or go awol and return to their famlies.
BotM
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Republican Guard divisions got a reputation because they were the only divisions that actually stood and fought during the first war; the Tawakalna Division made the fight for the Kuwait City airport a bloody affair, and the Nebuchadnezzar and Hammurabi divisions, I believe, stayed in their trenches and bunkers instead of flee like the rest...

But this time, they know the Boss is going down, so they may just lay low. Imagine-- an enemy army invades and the home team just hides and lets them go and kill the leader. They sure must love this guy. :roll:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Coyote wrote:The Republican Guard divisions got a reputation because they were the only divisions that actually stood and fought during the first war; the Tawakalna Division made the fight for the Kuwait City airport a bloody affair, and the Nebuchadnezzar and Hammurabi divisions, I believe, stayed in their trenches and bunkers instead of flee like the rest...

But this time, they know the Boss is going down, so they may just lay low. Imagine-- an enemy army invades and the home team just hides and lets them go and kill the leader. They sure must love this guy. :roll:
The Tawakalna division was deployed in Southern Iraq, it was regualr iraqi Army troops who fought at the Kuwait city airport. Tawakalna and the regular 12th Armored division both stood and fought in the destert. But they where totaly outclassed and where destroyed. The other Republican gaurd division in the field retreated with the Tawakalna screening them. Though Apaches cought several brigades on the roads and took them apart.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956