First war shots from a nuclear sub?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

First war shots from a nuclear sub?

Post by weemadando »

Heard last night that some of the cruise missiles were fired from a pair of British nuclear subs in the gulf.

If so, is this the first time that nuclear subs have fired in anger?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No, not by a long shot. First nuclear submarine to fire in anger was HMS Conqueror in 1982 when she sent a certain cruiser to the bottom. That remains the only combat torpedo shot by a nuclear submarine. However nuclear subs have fired Tomahawks several times, such as the original Gulf War, Desert Fox, Allied Force which was the first time UK subs fired Tomahawks, and a few other actions such as Clintons puny attack on Sudan and terrorist bases in Afghanistan.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sea Skimmer wrote:No, not by a long shot. First nuclear submarine to fire in anger was HMS Conqueror in 1982 when she sent a certain cruiser to the bottom. That remains the only combat torpedo shot by a nuclear submarine. However nuclear subs have fired Tomahawks several times, such as the original Gulf War, Desert Fox, Allied Force which was the first time UK subs fired Tomahawks, and a few other actions such as Clintons puny attack on Sudan and terrorist bases in Afghanistan.
Shit! How did I forget about the Falkands?

Anyhow, my questioning of this is linked to the fact that I thought that all previous cruise missile launches in the afore-mentioned campaigns had been from surface ships/air launches.

My bad.

Lock now.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

weemadando wrote:
Shit! How did I forget about the Falkands?

Anyhow, my questioning of this is linked to the fact that I thought that all previous cruise missile launches in the afore-mentioned campaigns had been from surface ships/air launches.

My bad.

Lock now.

Yes, your bad. Be glad the great courts of the HAB are too busy with fanwhores to punish this massive lapse in knowledge.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The HAB Spetsnaz force unleashes it's uber-lock powers.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/