Turkey

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Turkey

Post by Alex Moon »

News is talking about Turkey massing forces on their border, possibly preparing to move into northern Iraq. Anyone else think this war could take a nasty turn?
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Maybe the Turks will use the opportunity to kill Kurds :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It seems that the Turkish Parliament has authorized them to seize Mosul. That could cause serious problems.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Sea Skimmer wrote:It seems that the Turkish Parliament has authorized them to seize Mosul. That could cause serious problems.
Is it possible the reports of attacks on Mosul are Turkey's aircraft?
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:It seems that the Turkish Parliament has authorized them to seize Mosul. That could cause serious problems.
Is it possible the reports of attacks on Mosul are Turkey's aircraft?
Possibul but I think unlikely. If they are, its likely with US approval if not support to avoid blue on blue.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Especially considering the Administrations adament demand that Iraqi's borders will remain the same after the war has finished. While I believe Turkey is just saying that it is at this moment a defensive posture to stop a flood of refugees. The question becomes now whether or not Turkey will stay after the war is over.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I edited the thread title to fix the spelling.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Well, the Turks might've planned on this for the whole time, and obstructed the US stationing of troops in Northern Iraq exactly because of that. I wouldn't put it past them....
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

From BBC News -

Turkey fails to open airspace

Turkey has delayed opening its airspace to US aircraft because of disagreements over Turkey's role in northern Iraq, according to reports from Ankara.

The Turkish parliament gave consent for the overflights on Thursday, but overnight talks with US officials left details unresolved.

"We have taken a break in talks with the US because there are snags both concerning airspace use and movement of Turkish troops into Iraq," a foreign ministry official told the AP news agency.

The US does not want Turkish forces to enter Iraq, where there is a risk of clashes with the local Kurdish population.

Turkish press reports say some Turkish units are already there.

The US originally asked Turkey to grant permission for 62,000 troops to use the country as a launchpad for an attack on Iraq.

Turkey would have received a multi-billion-dollar compensation package in return.

US officials say the financial package has now been withdrawn.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944