Liberal senator quit after another shoplifting incident

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Liberal senator quit after another shoplifting incident

Post by mr friendly guy »

Bobalot would love this
Fisher to quit after fresh shoplifting incident
Updated June 21, 2012 21:07:17

South Australian Liberal Senator Mary Jo Fisher has announced she is quitting Parliament, as police confirm she has again been reported for shoplifting.

Senator Fisher has released a statement saying she will quit Parliament in August on medical advice after experiencing a panic attack similar to one that she suffered 18 months ago.

She will be summonsed over the incident that is alleged to have taken place at a supermarket in Adelaide's west on Saturday.

Security officers allegedly found goods in Senator Fisher's bags that had not been paid for.

Late last year, she was acquitted of a resulting shoplifting charge. She was found guilty of assault, but released without conviction.

Senator Fisher was accused of stealing $92 worth of groceries from a Foodland store in December 2010, and pushing a security officer who approached her in the car park.

Senator Fisher said serving in the Senate was not helping her recovery from her depressive illness.

But she also blamed "dogged, calculated and deliberate attempts by the police prosecution service" to extend her "emotional turmoil".

"I am today announcing my intention to resign my position as a senator representing the people of South Australia, effective August 10," she said in a statement.

"It has become undeniable that for me, the road to full recovery from my depressive illness has been hampered by my trying to get better, at the same time as continuing to serve in public office.

"My faltering recovery was exacerbated by repeated pressures from dogged, calculated and deliberate attempts by the police prosecution service to do everything possible to increase the length, complexity, cost and emotional turmoil both of my recent and extended trial, and the subsequent and continuing post-trial cost processes."

Former Liberal senator Nick Minchin says he is saddened by Senator Fisher's decision to quit.

Mr Minchin was one of her strongest supporters when she entered Parliament in 2007.

"I'm quite distressed by the news tonight that Senator Fisher has decided to resign after another incident," he said.

"She's a highly intelligent and very capable woman who's given great service to South Australia and to the Liberal Party and to rural constituencies in particular, and I'm really very saddened by tonight's news."

Senator Fisher thanked her family and staff for their support, saying it was an honour to represent the people of South Australia.
So lets apply the same standards to her as was applied to Craig Thomson. Crucify them before a trial has even begin. Thats the Liberal Party Australian way. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Re: Liberal senator quit after another shoplifting incident

Post by bobalot »

My faltering recovery was exacerbated by repeated pressures from dogged, calculated and deliberate attempts by the police prosecution service to do everything possible to increase the length, complexity, cost and emotional turmoil both of my recent and extended trial, and the subsequent and continuing post-trial cost processes.
Whatever happened to those Conservative talking points about "personal responsibility" and "being held to account" that I hear the LNP lecture others about?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

It's different when they do it. :v
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Abbot has already declared it a 'brave and gutsy decision'.

So how long before he turns around and promptly lambusts the Government for not having their people perform such 'brave and gutsy decisions!' for being accused but not proven caught red handed being Hitler or something, such is what I understand about the Craig Thompsan affair...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rich people steal things for shits and giggles = slap on wrist, pretty angry about how scary court is.

Poor people steal things to not die = uh oh.

Liberals LIBERALS LIBERALS! If only Labor wasn't so useless I guess.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

But guys, she has a mental illness, so its a mitigating circumstance. Maybe if Craig Thompson claims to have a sex addiction, it will be ok too. :D But then the Liberals have shown they don't give a rat's arse about medical certificates when it doesn't suit them, so I doubt it will work.

Gods, I wish both of our political parties weren't so useless.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.