The major air attack begins.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

The major air attack begins.

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

*is watching TV* At about 9:30 PM Iraqi time anti-air craft has filled the sky, the US says that this is the begining on the unparalleled air strike against Iraq, on the TV they are having live footage of the anti-aircraft fire. Its really creepy.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

And they are reporting that the ground element is on the move.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Well, here it goes. Lets hope it's quick and easy with as few casualties as possible.

Unfortunately I seriously think Saddam has something nasty up his sleeve. The newspaper reports about the utter lack of preparation and fortification in Baghdad just give me a bad feeling.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

"Shock and Awe" is the name, from what I heard power to the city hasn't been taken out, two buildings in downtown have been destroyed and the lights in Bagdad have not been turned off.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I don't know. Only three places are burning in Baghdad and the air defenses are now silent.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Skynews is reporting that a cruise missile has hit on or close too, the Ministry of Information along with other targets in Bahgdad.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Never mind, the gunfire has started up again it seems. If the reports of ground forces moving are true, then this likely is the first wave of the main attack.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I've been listening to the news, and embedded reporters are saying that they've seen no 'shock and awe', but of course their information is subject to censorship.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

HemlockGrey wrote:I've been listening to the news, and embedded reporters are saying that they've seen no 'shock and awe', but of course their information is subject to censorship.
Not really. Anyway, there's no reason in hell to conceal such attacks. And they couldn't be anyway, since the main target would be Baghdad and the republican guard around it.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Already over, no large-scale bombardments.
Supermod
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Shrubby's silly named Shock and Awe tactic seems very unshocking and aweless.

When they storm into and take Iraq in 9 days like Germany did to Poland THEN they'll have achieved shock and awe and a true Blitzkrieg will have been conducted.

Until then, until this war rivals Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland there, will be no "Shock and Awe".
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

The militaries are saying today's attacks are preparatory, maybe the "Shock & Awe" is still to come, then again, it may all be psychological warfare.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Heard unconfirmed reports that something like 20% of the Republican Guard is willing to throw down their arms and surrender to the US, and a lot of speculation from retired generals and reporters and anchors, all agreeing that 'shock and awe' has not yet commenced.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

they are testing the defenses. CNN is reporting that the Iraqi armed forces seem to be in disarray (more so than usual). the thinking behind this is hit them lightly a few times and see, if indeed saddam is dead, if they might give in.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I personally think what the U.S. is doing is psychological warfare, shouting about shock and awe and how millions of tons of explosives are going to be dropped, and then dropping a few bombs here and there to see how high the Iraqis jump, and to make them even more afraid.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Straha wrote:I personally think what the U.S. is doing is psychological warfare, shouting about shock and awe and how millions of tons of explosives are going to be dropped, and then dropping a few bombs here and there to see how high the Iraqis jump, and to make them even more afraid.
The US, of course, can really achieve "shock and awe" if it wanted to, but I think they're trying to not have to go that far to avoid civillian casualties.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

HemlockGrey wrote:Heard unconfirmed reports that something like 20% of the Republican Guard is willing to throw down their arms and surrender to the US, and a lot of speculation from retired generals and reporters and anchors, all agreeing that 'shock and awe' has not yet commenced.
Pitiful that they need to say or agree on anything to determine that. As the US government has repeatedly stated that it hasn't yet started. But then that doesnt fill time very well.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Remember that Rumpsfelt originally wanted to invade Iraq with 50,000 troops? What we're seeing now might be a test case to see how well 'transformationa' tactics work in the general case. Specifically, the US could be probing to determine how well Afghanistan-style microforce invasions work in the general case. If and only if the microinvasion fails will the conventional ("shock and awe") invasion be brought out to finish the job.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.