Companies ditch local languages for English

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Re: Companies ditch local languages for English

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Working for a branch of a multinational company in Germany, it would be insane for me and my colleagues to write reports or even prepare presentations in German instead of English, as it is not productive to spend a huge amount of time doing the unavoidable rewrites further down the line. Some of the older German engineers hate this, since their English is quite basic, but their time is fading fast. I don't remember ever seeing a job announcement within Engineering here that didn't ask for good or excellent English skills.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Still,the written language shouldn't fracture significantly,would it?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

No. When English is written, it's usually written in the standard dialects (British, American, Australian etc), which are pretty similar wherever you go.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The written language seems to change more slowly, which is one of the reasons we have the bizarre spelling resulting in abominations like "enough" and "knife"
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Broomstick wrote:The written language seems to change more slowly, which is one of the reasons we have the bizarre spelling resulting in abominations like "enough" and "knife"
Germanic kneif -> Norse knifr -> Old English cnif works fine for me (similar to the peregrinations Knecht took becoming cnight and then "knight").

English is hardly the only language in the world with historical curios in its orthographic catalogue. If people prefer a language created with strict adherence to standardised linguistic principles, there's always Esperanto.

If people wish English were more Esperanto-like, they're free to start attempting to foist their variant upon the rest of us. Within a century or two, "irregardless" might be considered a real English word, though the prospect of that is sickening.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Funny that you mention it, that might be closer than you believe.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Xisiqomelir wrote:If people wish English were more Esperanto-like, they're free to start attempting to foist their variant upon the rest of us. Within a century or two, "irregardless" might be considered a real English word, though the prospect of that is sickening.
Why does that word sicken you? Words are words, as long as people understand each other, why does it matter?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Jade Falcon wrote:This sketch from the Scots show Burnistoun shows the frustration with the English Language and different dialects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGbRHtF7eIY

I remember being in Newcastle and hearing a conversation between a Tynesider and a Frenchman speaking English with a heavy French accent and it was easier to understand the Frenchman.

I have found here that there's a gradual americanisation of some parts of British language. For example the increasing use of the word 'vacation' instead of 'holiday', but some of that could be put down to people trying thinking they're being trendy.
To be fair, the Geordie accent/dialect can defeat Stephen Fry;

:lol:

Apart from the obvious dialect issues, I don't have a problem with any English accent, Scouse is my favourite by far.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

I remember being in Newcastle and hearing a conversation between a Tynesider and a Frenchman speaking English with a heavy French accent and it was easier to understand the Frenchman.
French person et Quebecker meet and get to talking. 1 minute in, the Frenchman interrupts: Excusez-moi, mais pourriez-vous parler en anglais? :D