Breaking News - Gas attacks by Iraq on Kuwait City

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Fucking stupid media. Just heard that the 3rd light attack regiment (3rd light armored recon) just engaged the enemy. Don't these people think before they speak! :x :roll:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Stormbringer wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:
Cpt_Frank wrote: They said it was an Al-Samoud II.
Weren't they supposed to get rid of those?
Yes they were. They supposedly did but they offered no proof and the UN didn't push them on it. Guess that goes to show you what a trustworthy guy Hussien is.
Wrong. You'd do well to do a little research on Iraq and the Al-Samoud II before making any further comments.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

BoredShirtless wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: Weren't they supposed to get rid of those?
Yes they were. They supposedly did but they offered no proof and the UN didn't push them on it. Guess that goes to show you what a trustworthy guy Hussien is.
Wrong. You'd do well to do a little research on Iraq and the Al-Samoud II before making any further comments.
Actually , your both right. The Al-Samoud was supposed to be destroyed, and something in the neigborhood of 50 were destroyed. The UN was there to verify them getting the axe (bulldozer) but only about 1/2 were destroyed before the end of diplomatic actions and the comencement of hostilities.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

By the terms of the cease-fire, they were never supposed to build them in the first place.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Knife wrote:
BoredShirtless wrote:
Stormbringer wrote: Yes they were. They supposedly did but they offered no proof and the UN didn't push them on it. Guess that goes to show you what a trustworthy guy Hussien is.
Actually , your both right. The Al-Samoud was supposed to be destroyed, and something in the neigborhood of 50 were destroyed. The UN was there to verify them getting the axe (bulldozer) but only about 1/2 were destroyed before the end of diplomatic actions and the comencement of hostilities.
Because the US attacked before Iraq could finish destroying the missiles, having them now doesn't implicate Iraq in any way. He's also wrong about Iraq offering no proof: the missiles where being destroyed in the presense of UNSCOM inspectors.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Well, they are saying now, that two to three oil fields in southern Iraq have been set ablaze by the Iraqi's. Didn't see that coming :roll:

BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

RedImperator wrote:By the terms of the cease-fire, they were never supposed to build them in the first place.
If you're refering to the illegal range, that's debatable. The Iraqis claimed with a guidance system, the missile would not have exceeded it.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Because the US attacked before Iraq could finish destroying the missiles, having them now doesn't implicate Iraq in any way. He's also wrong about Iraq offering no proof: the missiles where being destroyed in the presense of UNSCOM inspectors.
Which was what I was pointing out. The missiles were being destroyed and the UN was verifing it. That is the part that you were right about and he was wrong about.

You are wrong in that they were not suppost to have them in the first place and Saddam lied about the whole thing, which by you statment, I take it that you implied that he didn't. I may have misunderstood you, but your post implied that.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

BoredShirtless wrote:
RedImperator wrote:By the terms of the cease-fire, they were never supposed to build them in the first place.
If you're refering to the illegal range, that's debatable. The Iraqis claimed with a guidance system, the missile would not have exceeded it.
But the almighty UN said they were illegal. They are the one's who are suppost to be judging these things and they said "NO".

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Knife wrote: You are wrong in that they were not suppost to have them in the first place and Saddam lied about the whole thing, which by you statment, I take it that you implied that he didn't. I may have misunderstood you, but your post implied that.
Clearly the Al-Samoud II was an attempt to bypass UN restrictions.
Supermod
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Vympel wrote: While a nuke warhead is an option, all SUNBURNs are first and foremost, conventional, precision strike anti-ship missiles. Regardless- Iraq does not have them.
FOX still says that a ASM was shot down on their ticker...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Knife wrote:
BoredShirtless wrote:
But the almighty UN said they were illegal. They are the one's who are suppost to be judging these things and they said "NO".
To verify they were illegal, the UN would have tested the missiles with guidance systems. I think it was a case of "just destroy them if you know what's good for you".
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Knife wrote:Fucking stupid media. Just heard that the 3rd light attack regiment (3rd light armored recon) just engaged the enemy. Don't these people think before they speak! :x :roll:
At least they aren't giving GPS coordinates.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Zoink wrote:
Knife wrote:Fucking stupid media. Just heard that the 3rd light attack regiment (3rd light armored recon) just engaged the enemy. Don't these people think before they speak! :x :roll:
At least they aren't giving GPS coordinates.
Which is something that I am concerned about. I realize that having reporters with them is a necassary thing ( I don't want to sound to rightwing nutballish) but all these reporters sending out cell and satelite signals from there equipment, I gotta believe that all that electronic traffic can be monitered and tracked or used to determin ally positions.

BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Knife wrote:
Which was what I was pointing out. The missiles were being destroyed and the UN was verifing it. That is the part that you were right about and he was wrong about.

You are wrong in that they were not suppost to have them in the first place and Saddam lied about the whole thing, which by you statment, I take it that you implied that he didn't. I may have misunderstood you, but your post implied that.
I meant that Iraq shouldn't be found guilty of any "crimes" if she uses these missiles now, seeing as she was in the middle of destroying them, never having the chance to finish.
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
Knife wrote: You are wrong in that they were not suppost to have them in the first place and Saddam lied about the whole thing, which by you statment, I take it that you implied that he didn't. I may have misunderstood you, but your post implied that.
Clearly the Al-Samoud II was an attempt to bypass UN restrictions.
Really? Based on what?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

That is still iffy. One, he wasn't suppost to have them in the first place. Two, it will depend (weather they are charged with 'crimes') on what targets and what warheads, they use.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Was it this guy?
Fox just had a fascinating report from their correspondent with the Marines going in right now and engaging Iraqi forces on the border. You could hear the Cobra's firing Hellfire missiles as the Marines were moving forward. The report ended abrubtly with the correspondent saying "Oh I'm told we're moving out right now..." and the line went dead.

A great report.
This correspondent (Rick Leventhal) is with the Marine 3rd Light Armored Recon Battalion. His reports are outstanding. Tremendous air and artillery campaign going on in the south of Iraq right this moment.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Quote:
This correspondent (Rick Leventhal) is with the Marine 3rd Light Armored Recon Battalion. His reports are outstanding. Tremendous air and artillery campaign going on in the south of Iraq right this moment
Thats the one, the anchor (John Scott) said it was the 3rd light attack regiment. I heard it, I am not crazy, I heard it.........

Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Stuart Mackey wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:I'm watching the live BBC TV news stream now. No talk of any gas attacks whatsoever.

The Faux News headline is now returning a 404 error...
I dont know Fox news, is it safe to say they are idiots?
They are not idiots. They simply do not lean so far to the left in their reporting as CNN, MSNBC, and the three networks, so to people like Ted and Enlightenment who are rather far to the left of the political spectrum (putting it politely), that makes them rabid right wing tabloid trash.
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Knife wrote:That is still iffy. One, he wasn't suppost to have them in the first place. Two, it will depend (weather they are charged with 'crimes') on what targets and what warheads, they use.
Argh! The missiles maximum range may have been under the proscribed limit with a guidance system! So it's debatable whether he was right to have them.

When I put "crimes" in quotes I refer to the "crime" of breaching one of the conditions of cease fire laid down in 91, i.e. the max range.

Naturally anyone violating international law will be held accountable...*scratches nose*
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Argh! The missiles maximum range may have been under the proscribed limit with a guidance system! So it's debatable whether he was right to have them.
But the UN inspectors (they are the authority here, aren't they?) decided that, in accordence with the information they had about it, it was illegal for him to have them. Its not really that dabateable. The people who are suppost to make those calls, made those calls and Iraq came up short.

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

BoredShirtless wrote:
Knife wrote:

yeah, they were destroying them at a rip-roaring pace of 3 a day. that was pure public relations bullshit, they can say they are destroying them at a pace just high enough to satisfy Hans "Mr Magoo" Blix, but not high enough to make a dent in the arsenal.
I meant that Iraq shouldn't be found guilty of any "crimes" if she uses these missiles now, seeing as she was in the middle of destroying them, never having the chance to finish
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Knife wrote: Thats the one, the anchor (John Scott) said it was the 3rd light attack regiment. I heard it, I am not crazy, I heard it.........
Well, he's on FOX again, with night vision of the MARINES going forward
and shelling the EYE-RAKIS with 155mm rounds.

Now it's cut to a UH-60 settling down, and he says he and his unit are at
MOPP level 1.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

MKSheppard wrote:
Knife wrote: Thats the one, the anchor (John Scott) said it was the 3rd light attack regiment. I heard it, I am not crazy, I heard it.........
Well, he's on FOX again, with night vision of the MARINES going forward
and shelling the EYE-RAKIS with 155mm rounds
Yeah, I am watching. Right now they have the SPA from the 3rd Infantry Div on the TV. Pretty impressive. :shock: