Who's next on Shrubby's hitlist?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Next target after Iraq?

Cuba
6%
Cuba
No votes
Iran
26%
Iran
3%
Libya
48%
Libya
No votes
Syria
6%
Syria
No votes
North Korea
10%
North Korea
No votes

Total votes: 31

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Our focus will remain on North Korea after Iraq.

Expect to see no more military preemption (outside possible missile strikes like those of the Clinton years) after régime-change in Iraq.

No other dictatorship out there is really as high on the Administration's threat indicator as was Iraq save for North Korea - and they are more or less beyond military action at this point. Bush isn't going to movie without South Korean support - and that's not forthcoming. Stormbringer is correct. Political and diplomatic arm-twisting; nothing more violent.

Syria, Libya, and others are best handled economically. Their financial infrastructures are at this time much more fragile than that in Iraq. They each bet heavily on free exposure to global markets at this point in time and would not do well to be suddenly cut off a la Hussein.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

North Korea. Definitely North Korea.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

I voted for North Korea but on your list instead of Cuba you should have written France :twisted: :mrgreen:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

North Korea is the biggest threat remaining, but a preemptive invasion means that Seoul vanishes in nuclear hellfire, and even if you were a full blown bedsheet wearing racist who might think it's a good thing that millions of South Koreans die, the global financial collapse that would follow the destruction of Seoul would make the war not worth it no matter how well it turned out. Adding Tokyo and possibly Honolulu to that list only exacerbates the problem. The only way we could strike North Korea is if we had cast iron, airtight, 100% positive intelligence about the location of N. Korea's existing nuclear devices to be destroyed in the first strike, and that kind of intelligence simply doesn't exist in the real world, and it's too much of a gamble otherwise. There's no danger of North Korea forcibly unifying the peninsula under Communism--the South Korean army is more than capable of smashing any North Korean invasion despite the numerical disparity, and throwing them back to the Yalu River (not that they'd get that far before the army revolted and overthrew the regime in Pyongyang before Kim Jong Il could order a nuclear strike that would get all the senior government officials and army commanders killed in retaliation). The Chinese, South Koreans, Japanese, and Russians are capable of containing North Korea without our help. The most useful thing we provide is a nuclear gurantee for Japan and South Korea, and we can provide that with SLBMs in the Sea of Japan and not one American GI on the ground on the Peninsula.

Invading Iran would be totally counterproductive at this stage. The government's hold on the population is much weaker than Hussein's is (or was) on his. Something like 75% of the population there is too young to remember the Islamic Revolution and want very badly to be rid of the mullahs. That regime will collapse on its own before it can build a bomb. There's no point unifying the country behind the Islamicists by invading, an a war against Iran would be a damn sight harder than one against Iraq.

The Syrians are assholes, but they're not actively developing WMDs and are no military threat to anyone and aren't in any hurry to prove otherwise after three ass-stompings by Israel in one century.

Lybia is yesterday's news. They've just settled Lockerbie ($10,000,000 per victim), and have been trying to get back into the world's good graces. And frankly, compared to Mullah Omar, Kim Jong Il or Saddam Hussein, Qadaffi is a third-rate threat under any circumstances.

The American strategy for Cuba has been, "Wait for Castro to die" since the 1960s. Castro might be a threat to pro-democracy dissidents in his own country, but not anyone else, and the outcry from all Castro's bed-wetting apologists in this country and elsewhere would be obnoxious enough to not make it worth the bother.

A few other potential candidates:

While it would be satisfying to tell the Saud dynasty told to pack their harems and fly to Brunei, the material and political cost of creating and maintaining a new puppet state on the Arabian peninsula wouldn't be worth the benefit, compared to what could be accomplished by reminding the Crown Prince that the survival of his regime depends on remaining in America's good graces the next time some of his cousins try to build a Wahabbi mosque in Dayton.

China: 500 million potential recruits in a semi-modern army. That and nuclear weapons would ensure any forced regime change there would make the Japanese experience on the mainland look like a picnic. We missed our chance in 1948.

Russia: Thrown in for nostalgia's sake more than anything else.

Keep an eye on Venuzela. Chavez is showing every sign of being a world-class leftist asshole. He's also letting Colombian rebels hide in his territory to avoid retaliation by the Colombian army. Venuzela is also the single largest foreign supplier of oil to the United States. If things keep up at the rate they're going, don't be shocked if we Noreiga his sorry ass in the next few years.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Suadi Arabia!
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Keep an eye on Venuzela. Chavez is showing every sign of being a world-class leftist asshole. He's also letting Colombian rebels hide in his territory to avoid retaliation by the Colombian army. Venuzela is also the single largest foreign supplier of oil to the United States. If things keep up at the rate they're going, don't be shocked if we Noreiga his sorry ass in the next few years.
He's Castro's Mini-Me, so to speak.

I should also add that if oil really was the primary motivation of U.S. foriegn policy we'd be going after this guy right fuckin' now.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

There's no way he'll mount a military effort on North Korea. The whole reason we're attacking Iraq is because they don't have nuclear weapons yet. North Korea does, so they'll get diplomacy, if Bush ever gets around to acknowledging that its leader exists. Right now, Bush is just ignoring North Korea entirely, and that's pissing them off and forcing them to clamor for more attention.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

He's commented on N. Korea at press conferences a couple times (including smacking down Helen Thomas at one point in the process). To the best of my knowledge, at no point has he suggested military action in this matter.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Durran Korr wrote:N. Korea. However, given the fact that the U.S. will soon be reducing it's military presence in Korea, I think it will be dealt with diplomatically.
Hopefully a diplomatic solution can found. Given the fact that N.Korea has a little more 'teeth' than Iraq, do you think the U.S. will be more hesitant to use force to cause a regime change?
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Next of Kin wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:N. Korea. However, given the fact that the U.S. will soon be reducing it's military presence in Korea, I think it will be dealt with diplomatically.
Hopefully a diplomatic solution can found. Given the fact that N.Korea has a little more 'teeth' than Iraq, do you think the U.S. will be more hesitant to use force to cause a regime change?
Of course. The U.S. wouldn't gain much by the nuclear annihilation of Seoul (and Jong is crazy enough to do it).

Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who's next on Shrubby's hitlist?

Post by Enlightenment »

Stormbringer wrote:Did you ever stop to consider the fact that diplomacy failed in this stituation because Saddam had no intention of negotiating in good faith?
Relevance?
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

New evidence has supposedly developed linking Chavez to al-Qaeda. He apparently delivered $1 million in funds to Osama Bin Laden's network just one month after 9/11. There's also furious speculation over the extent of his ties to FARC, a Columbian paramilitary group with clear and acknowledged links to Middle Eastern terrorism. I think we'll see a bit of Adminitration politiking to turn this whole situation in South America onto a new route once the fires in Iraq (literally and figuratively) die down.

Again, I reiterate that most of our focus will be split between Iraq and the North Koreans - whom we will attempt to keep surrounded and under constant observation. As has been said before, there will be no war without South Korea. Not that we'd charge in so soon after Iraq anyway.

Efforts will continue apace to knock off terrorist cells in Pakistan. Expect some back-door dealing to contain Syria. We could potentially see some cruise missile strikes on Iran inside the next decade - depends how aggressive that situation becomes, whether democracy really develops, and how well the new Iraqi state solidifies in upcoming years.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Knife wrote:Suadi Arabia!
SECONDED!!!
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.