BREAKING: OSAMA BIN LADIN STILL DEAD.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

BREAKING: OSAMA BIN LADIN STILL DEAD.

Post by MKSheppard »

It was one year ago tonight that we got the famous moment, and the famous thread: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 7&t=148991.

Additionally, yesterday the new One World Trade Center became the tallest building in NYC, beating the Empire State Building.

Hmm yes, an appropriate rejoinder for this glourious anniversary.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Re: BREAKING: OSAMA BIN LADIN STILL DEAD.

Post by VF5SS »

The blood of one man can never bring back the lives of countless others.

That is unless you attempt some weird alchemy voodoo crap.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Woopy, an ineffectual old man is dead, the ideology that fostered the attacks still exists, Afghanistan and Iraq are still hellholes, with no end in sight for the former, countless people are dead and your nation continues to crack down on dissent.

Congratulations on your petty revenge.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Aaron MkII wrote:
Thank you

May 1st 2011, the day we last had any excuse to have physical troops in Afghanistan.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Mr Bean wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:
Thank you

May 1st 2011, the day we last had any excuse to have physical troops in Afghanistan.
Fucking A
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

It's always depressing to see people pin greater, societal ills on individuals. It prevents thinking clearly about problems and solving them, making it a self-defeating and in this case masturbatory enterprise.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

You sig has never been more appropriate Adam. We've destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands of our young people, and those abroad, for what?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Mr Bean wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:
Thank you

It's a pity we didn't kill him at Tora Bora in 2001. There might have been no Afghanistan occupation, and a much more difficult road for the Bush Administration to sell people on invading Iraq.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

It was good riddance to bad rubbish when he was killed. However I don't see the need for me personally, and for most people who aren't really victims of his crimes to commemorate the anniversary of his death. The wanker is dead. You guys got him. Time to move onto other pressing problems, which other people have already mentioned earlier.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Aaron MkII wrote:You sig has never been more appropriate Adam. We've destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands of our young people, and those abroad, for what?
Ideally, it would have been to establish the principle that bloody-minded little tyrants and would-be tyrants can't parade around the world killing swathes of innocent people without retaliation.

This would probably have required a bit more luck and a much more competent, honorable, and generally decent leadership than the US has enjoyed for a long time. Instead, we wound up proving that a flashy enough terrorist can get a lot of his own people killed by tricking the bull into charging the red flag, and that America likes playing the bull.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

I'm really, really not a fan of celebrating any death. Commemorating the anniversary of a murder/execution/assassination/whatever just strikes me as petty, vindictive, and devaluing of human life.

What bin Laden helped organize was inhuman and reprehensible. It very well may be that killing him was the least-bad of the available options for saving more lives. That in no way means that it is a good thing that a man had to die.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Is it wrong that I keep getting Don McLean's American Pie stuck in my head as "Bye bye to that Osama guy..."? I really gotta get my internal audio system checked.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Rahvin wrote:I'm really, really not a fan of celebrating any death. Commemorating the anniversary of a murder/execution/assassination/whatever just strikes me as petty, vindictive, and devaluing of human life.

What bin Laden helped organize was inhuman and reprehensible. It very well may be that killing him was the least-bad of the available options for saving more lives. That in no way means that it is a good thing that a man had to die.

I don't see a problem with being glad certain people die. Or viewing it as a good thing. Hitler dying was a good thing. Bin Laden dying was a good thing. Pol Pot dying was a good thing.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Destructionator XIII wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Ideally, it would have been to establish the principle that bloody-minded little tyrants and would-be tyrants can't parade around the world killing swathes of innocent people without retaliation.
The problem with retaliation is it goes both ways.
Simon_Jester wrote:This would probably have required a bit more luck and a much more competent, honorable, and generally decent leadership than the US has enjoyed for a long time. Instead, we wound up proving that a flashy enough terrorist can get a lot of his own people killed by tricking the bull into charging the red flag, and that America likes playing the bull.
There are times, and places, when fighting a war to stop someone from doing something horrid all over again next week works. It is much harder to do this than it is to just fight the war and make a horrible bloody mess of things.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Just getting a bit off the grimdark already infesting this thread for just a second, the new towers are now extremely obvious in the skyline from various vantage points-I take the Verrazano Bridge on a regular basis to visit the in-laws, and you can see the towers off to the right when driving over to Staten Island, especially at night when they've got the lights on. As a New Yorker, it's good to see that space filled again in a way I don't think someone who isn't from around here can really understand.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Flagg wrote:
I don't see a problem with being glad certain people die. Or viewing it as a good thing. Hitler dying was a good thing. Bin Laden dying was a good thing. Pol Pot dying was a good thing.
I've never had any qualm with killing Bin Laden. He was heartless monster leading a dangerous cult and had many countless crimes to answer for. Because he was at the center of a militant organization taking him alive was really just impractical.

On the other hand, the reaction people had to his death was nothing short of disturbing to me. People were out on the street waving flags around and celebrating like it was V-J Day again. Why celebrate what was basically just a vengeance killing? It was nothing to be proud of, just a necessary evil.
Best care anywhere.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Exactly, I shed no tears for him, he was a disgusting human being. But watching America afterwards was just bizarre.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I live in America and it was weird. I mean, I'm not going to say I wasn't happy we finally got Bin Laden, but I didn't go climbing a street lamp and waving a flag (which incidentally one of the teachers at my high school did do). It was WEIRD just how much like VJ day it was...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I did a fist pump and said "FINALLY!" but that was about it aside from being a bit giddy.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

All really thought when it happened was "about goddamn time, can we stop wasting lives and money over this shit now?" My neighbors down the street actually had a bunch of their family over and held a BBQ... Fuckin' hicks.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

I was doing a overnight shift at a HAM radio event when OSB died, and we could hear the aussie's talking about it before we'd got anything over here.
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

With Hitler and Bin Laden, I think it would have been better if they had been captured alive, given fair trials for war crimes and/or crimes against humanity, with the full scope of those crimes on show for the world to see, and then either executed or put in prison for life. As it stands, both can be said to have escaped justice, and are seen as martyrs by fanatical admirers, while rumours that their deaths were faked will probably never completely go away.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Simon_Jester wrote:Ideally, it would have been to establish the principle that bloody-minded little tyrants and would-be tyrants can't parade around the world killing swathes of innocent people without retaliation.
Oh really? :roll:

You know, how Kaddafi was treated might have established that. If Afghanistan operation looked like it, it might have done that. Instead, both it and Iraq were one colossal, fucked up clusterfuck that fed Mil-Ind complex and literally burned away humongous pile of money that might have made a world much better, safer place :evil:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Aaron MkII wrote:Exactly, I shed no tears for him, he was a disgusting human being. But watching America afterwards was just bizarre.

Kinda reminded me of this.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The guy was dead anyway. It was going to be a bullet or a needle.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw