Offensive in southeast Afghanistan commences.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Offensive in southeast Afghanistan commences.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

BAGRAM, Afghanistan — As U.S. troops were engaged in an opening strike against Iraq, the military also launched a terrorist-seeking raid in Afghanistan. The operation, dubbed "Valiant Strike," is taking place in the air and on the ground southeast of Kandahar, Fox News has learned.

About 1,000 troops from the Army's 82nd Airborne Division were combing southeastern Afghanistan for members of Al Qaeda and its elusive leader, Usama bin Laden. Operation Valiant Strike is the biggest U.S. terrorist-seeking operation in over a year, military officials said.

Officials in Afghanistan confirmed the operation in the remote, mountainous area was underway, but would provide no further details.

"I do not have anything to say about the Kandahar operation at this time," said Col. Roger King, U.S. army spokesman at the U.S. headquarters at Bagram.

The troops left from their base in Kandahar, the former Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan.

Radio transmissions had been detected coming from caves above the villages, said military officials in Washington .

It was the largest U.S. military operation in Afghanistan since Operation Anaconda just over a year ago. That eight-day battle involved hundreds of Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters against thousands of American and allied Afghan troops.

There have been a series of raids on both sides of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border in the weeks since authorities captured Al Qaeda's No. 3 figure, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, in Pakistan on March 1. Authorities have said Mohammed is giving information to U.S. interrogators and have said some of the subsequent arrests came as a result of Mohammed's capture.

Mohammed, an alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, is being interrogated by American officials at an undisclosed location.

The agents who captured him in a suburb of Islamabad found computers, mobile telephones, documents and other evidence that could help lead to other Al Qaeda members.

There have been increased attacks on Afghan government posts in southern Afghanistan in recent weeks. The authorities have blamed remnants of Taliban, Al Qaeda and loyalists of Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, a renegade rebel commander labeled a terrorist by the United States.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Fox News has reported POWs already captured in this operation.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Was anyone expecting this? I sure wasn't. This may have been a good move, focusing solely on Iraq while secretly planning to go after al-Qaida again.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

It makes sense, remined the bastards that were not going to slack off just because were busy elsewhere.

Hope we nailed someone important and sent the rest on to paradise with a 5.56mm FMJ ticket :D
BotM
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

HELL YEAH :twisted:
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

HEHEHEH I wasn't expecting this either, lol :twisted:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Heard that the Army let Geraldo do a LIVE brodcast right from one
of the villages the 82nd was hitting.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

MKSheppard wrote:Heard that the Army let Geraldo do a LIVE brodcast right from one
Good grief!! You gotta be kidding me! Of all people, him?

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

EmperorMing wrote: Good grief!! You gotta be kidding me! Of all people, him?
Yeah, from what I heard, they loaded him onto a CH-47 and took him
with them, and he did the broadcast using a satellite phone hookup and
a webcam

EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

They should have taken Jerry Springer. Would have been more interesting... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"You are the Diet Coke of Evil..."

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

EmperorMing wrote:They should have taken Jerry Springer. Would have been more interesting... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"You are the Diet Coke of Evil..."
See the film here:

http://www.foxnews.com/

U.S. Troops Raid Afghan Villages
About 1,000 GIs part of 'Valiant Strike'
• Video: Geraldo Reports

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Well, now there was an inteligent move... Someone has been reading military history books.
Now really, the 101st need s to be deployed, otherwise, the 82nd will be unbeareble, when they return to the US. (The rivalry between both divisions is still going on, right?)
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

:D It was a good move, wasn't it.

I guess they had reports that implied that the taliban and Al-Queda would come back over the Afganistan-Pakistan boarder when the US commenced an attack in Iraq. Fucking-A, come on over Ackmed and bring Usama with you... :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

MKSheppard wrote:Heard that the Army let Geraldo do a LIVE brodcast right from one
Did they get him? :twisted:
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Actually, I think it's fabulous. We've now shown everyone, N. Korea included, that we haven't stretched our resources too much.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Heheh!

Just as Al-Quaeda thinks it's safe to peek out from hiding...

BLAM! Dance, you bastards!
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Operations in Afghanistan are under the same theater command as Iraq. But overall I'd expect there operating on there own schedule .
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Operations in Afghanistan are under the same theater command as Iraq. But overall I'd expect there operating on there own schedule .
With two wars on his plate, Franks must be busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.