Build the Titanic!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Build the Titanic!

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Australian billionaire Clive Palmer to build Titanic II
Clive Palmer, one of Australia's richest men, has commissioned a Chinese state-owned company to build a 21st Century version of the Titanic.
The mining billionaire told Australian media that construction will start at the end of next year.
It would be ready to set sail in 2016.
The plan, he added, is for the vessel to be as similar as possible to the original Titanic in design and specifications, but with modern technology.
Mr Palmer told Australian media that he had signed a memorandum of understanding with CSC Jinling Shipyard to construct the ship.
"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st Century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," he said in a statement.
The announcement comes just weeks after the centenary of the sinking of the ill-fated Titanic.
The vessel, the largest luxury ship in its time, struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York. It went down on 15 April 1912, leaving more than 1,500 people dead.
"Of course it will sink if you put a hole in it,'' Mr Palmer said in response to questions from reporters on whether the Titanic replica would sink.
The new vessel is scheduled to sail from London to New York in late 2016, if all goes as planned.
"It is going to be designed so it won't sink,'' he added. ''But, of course, if you are superstitious like you are, you never know what could happen.''
The cost of the construction is not known, a spokesman for Mr Palmer told Australian media.
The mining magnate from Queensland, who has strong business relations with China, has expanded into tourism. He owns a luxury resort on the Sunshine Coast and has plans to build a fleet of luxury liners.
His plan to build the Titanic replica was announced on the same day that he revealed plans, in a separate news conference, to contest the next federal election in Queensland.
He told reporters that he has expressed interest in standing for Queensland's Liberal National Party (LNP), part of the conservative opposition at federal level, in the Brisbane seat of Lilley - currently held by Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer Wayne Swan.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17890754
Personally I have been expecting someone to do this for years as the cost of a new cruise ship while hardly modest, is also simply not that big with the amount of money a major corporation or businessman can throw around these days. The biggest ones cost only around 1 billion USD, a Titanic replica would be much smaller and have surefire business.

Being built in China isn't the best omen for safety though but hopefully they'll install twenty bow thrusters, two double skinned hulls and pumps the size of boiler rooms. Speaking of which, this ship will actually be pretty interesting to design because modern diesel and or gas turbine engines shouldn't take up nearly as much space as Titanic's engineering spaces so they could add some really huge indoor swimming pools or vastly expanded gyms or about anything else you could want besides the original ones on Titanic. On the other hand, modern stuff like outdoor pools will be difficult to squeeze onto the deck without changing the visual profile of the ship. It will be interesting to see what changes are actually made if this project goes ahead.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Build the Titanic!

Post by weemadando »

Clive Palmer is a crazy fucking lunatic who has announced that he also is going to run against the Treasurer at the next election.

Then again, I guess building another fucking Titanic is just what we need to show that maybe, just maybe, that mining tax could be afforded by these people.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

As above, Clive Palmer is crazy. He recently came up with a conspiracy theory that the Greens party were working with the CIA to destroy Australia's coal industry (I'm serious, you can google it).

In another month he will probably be claiming he's going to build Noah's ark or colonize Venus.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

bobalot wrote:As above, Clive Palmer is crazy. He recently came up with a conspiracy theory that the Greens party were working with the CIA to destroy Australia's coal industry (I'm serious, you can google it).

In another month he will probably be claiming he's going to build Noah's ark or colonize Venus.
He said that to deflect attention away from LNP onto him [EDIT] the week before the QLD election. I don't know what's more troubling, the fact he could say whatever he wants and get away with it or that people buy it.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Too bad for him! I'll blow it up before it ever leaves the dock! Arr!

But on a more serious note, I really don't understand why anyone cares about Clive Palmer anymore, except for the QLD election crap. I mean really, I've heard people talk about him as if something's gonna happen.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Calling it Titanic II though? This is just tempting fate. Also, yeah, bugfuck crazy.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alkaloid wrote:Calling it Titanic II though? This is just tempting fate. Also, yeah, bugfuck crazy.
Thank god for rich eccentric assholes. How else are we going to see underground volcano fortresses, or new rocket powered Hindenburgs?
I'd ride it because hell who wouldn't want to ride the Titanic 2.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Alkaloid wrote:Calling it Titanic II though? This is just tempting fate.
The Titanic didn't sink because someone called it unsinkable, it sank because it crashed into an iceberg. It only tempts fate if you share in that sort of magical thinking.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Clive Palmer went into conspiracy theory territory earlier this year with the claim that the US is trying to destroy Australia's coal industry. To his defense it was allegedly to deflect attention away from the Qld election to help his side. Why he would need to do that in such a retarded manner when polling shows his side was going to win in a landslide (which they did) is another question in itself.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/tag/ ... -shipyard/

According to the above link he also wants the Chinese Navy to shepherd his replica for its "maiden voyage across the Atlantic scheduled for 2016." Good luck with that, although I suspect its just a tactic to improve relations with China, since they are going to build his ships and he does have extensive trade links with them.

On another note, his conspiracy theory seems to the opposite of what we hear from other less intelligent sources, ie that its the Chinese wanting to take over our industries, blah blah buying up our land (which isn't used), our companies (which are already foreign owned anyway) etc. Makes a change from the usual stuff.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Personally I am looking forward to 2016 if he actually goes through with building the Titanic II. Not to say I would book a voyage on it (I'll be a broke college student at that point), but it will be nice to see a new Olympic class liner. All we have of those ships are the original Titanic and the Britannic both of which are wrecks at the bottom of the ocean. No one has seen an intact one since 1935 or so, so I am glad this was done in my lifetime.

(PS, you should see the comments on the Yahoo article...so many people making variations of 'make sure it has enough lifeboats!' and 'Mother Nature is already building Iceberg II'...God people annoy me sometimes)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, Skywalker, it does lend itself to rough humor if he names another ship Titanic. No one's dared to do that in a hundred years; you can call it superstition but it's not particularly harmful to joke about it.

He might go through with this because it could actually be profitable, if he charges enough for tickets- building ocean liners isn't that expensive. He might be babbling. Remember, if he does build it the ship will be in service for many years- you may get your chance to ride it another time. ;)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Actually, there was a story int he Telegraph about six months ago about some numbnuts in Kent who named his 16 ft yacht thingy Titanic II. True to form it sprang a leak and sank before he made it out of Dover harbour.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah I know it lends itself to that type of jokes. Doesn't make it any less annoying though. Especially considering I get really annoyed by people who make pointless jokes...great, I'm turning into my brother... :?

And that's also why I hope it does get built. I would love to actually ride an Olympic class, however modified it may be. And hey, it could have been worse, he could have named it Hindenburg the Titanic or something like that :wink:
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Personally I have been expecting someone to do this for years as the cost of a new cruise ship while hardly modest, is also simply not that big with the amount of money a major corporation or businessman can throw around these days. The biggest ones cost only around 1 billion USD, a Titanic replica would be much smaller and have surefire business.

Being built in China isn't the best omen for safety though but hopefully they'll install twenty bow thrusters, two double skinned hulls and pumps the size of boiler rooms. Speaking of which, this ship will actually be pretty interesting to design because modern diesel and or gas turbine engines shouldn't take up nearly as much space as Titanic's engineering spaces so they could add some really huge indoor swimming pools or vastly expanded gyms or about anything else you could want besides the original ones on Titanic. On the other hand, modern stuff like outdoor pools will be difficult to squeeze onto the deck without changing the visual profile of the ship. It will be interesting to see what changes are actually made if this project goes ahead.
While that's true, they also aren't going to pack people into steerage anymore, either. Everyone expects their own room nowdays, so that's probably where most of the extra space will go.

Also, there are lots of differences between an ocean liner and a cruise ship in terms of amenities and such. I'm curious whether they can resist and how much of the original Titanic will remain.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I give it a 5/10. He should've announced the name would be "The Hindentanic" and that the ship would be held aloft by a scaled-up Hindenburg-class airship filled with hydrogen.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

General Schatten wrote:I give it a 5/10. He should've announced the name would be "The Hindentanic" and that the ship would be held aloft by a scaled-up Hindenburg-class airship filled with hydrogen.
You amateurs don't know anything about properly flipping off Nature, human-style. What you do is, you build the world's largest nuclear icebreaker and call it the "Titanic II".
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

And give it a hydrogen airship to ferry supplies...conveniently named the Hindenburg. Now THAT is properly flipping off nature (yours combined with the airship)
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Make the Hindenburg resupply airship carry food supplies and be captained by a man named Donner, for extra hilarity.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I wonder if the Chinese will build the ship true to the original, including shoddy materials? :) Probably into the bottom of the harbor the moment it is launched due to too much lead. :)

As for the OP, I doubt it will be built. I've read an article a few years ago of two other people separately planning to build a replica of the Titanic but nothing ever came of it. I doubt things will change here.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Can it really be called a second Titanic if it has modern safety systems and engineering, adequate life boats and no steerage class?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I'd ride it in a heartbeat. Might be a bit of a lineup for the bow point though, for holding your girlfriend there. :wink:
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Apparently there's been some fairly serious design work done already...
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Lot's of work, I see.

Still, for all that effort, they could have used some ship that's not that ugly... If it weren't for that ice-berg, nothing would have been special about her.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...if that is a legit drawing right there it shows they are taking it seriously. And for the record I happen to think the Olympic class ships are beautiful myself. But that's just my opinion.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Compared to the giant crawling box-o-fatness that is the typical modern cruise "liner," they're magnificent.

Not because of any unusual aesthetic quality. Just because they're not a floating hotel. There is speed, there is maneuverability, there is a sense of the ship being designed for a purpose other than being a place to park your butt and watch the scenery go by.

I respect that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov