Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

Post by Instant Sunrise »

The Province wrote:She’s blond, 6-foot-1, and has the body of a goddess.

Vancouver’s Jenna Talackova was everything Miss Universe Canada was looking for when she was selected among 65 finalists for the 2012 competition, to be held in Toronto in May.

But the Donald Trump–owned beauty pageant confirmed Friday that the 23-year-old has been disqualified from the competition.

The reason, Talackova claims, is she was born male.

“She did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form,” stated a Miss Universe Canada release issued on Friday.

“We do, however, respect her goals, determination and wish her the best,” it concludes, without specifying what requirements she did not meet.

Talackova set the blogosphere abuzz earlier this week after it was discovered she had sexual reassignment surgery in 2010.

Her profile and photos from the pageant’s website were subsequently pulled.

The statuesque blond told The Province Friday she needs to speak to her lawyer before taking part in interviews.

But Talackova has made statements online over Twitter about being “disqualified for being born.”

By March 18, she had apparently already been told by Miss Universe Canada her place in the competition was in jeopardy.

“Still waiting to know if I’m able to compete ... praying and fingers crossed,” she Tweeted that day.

Two days later, she got the news.

“I’m disqualified, however I’m not giving up,” she wrote, defiantly. “I’m not going to just let them disqualify me over discrimination.”

Responses to her plight posted online have been mixed.

Some have welcomed her inclusion in the competition, while others believe such pageants are for women born as women.

Miss Universe Canada contestants must meet a basic requirement of being a Canadian citizen and between the ages of 18 and 27 to compete.

They also must not be married, pregnant, and have to fill out a more comprehensive form if they meet the basic requirements.

There is no mention of rules regarding sex-changes or cosmetic surgery.

Talackova has been rather open about her transsexual past online.

During an interview for a transsexual beauty pageant in Thailand — Miss International Queen 2010 — the Canadian representative refers to herself as “a woman, with a history.”

That history includes recognizing herself as a female since the age of four and beginning hormone therapy when she was 14.
This is one of the biggest load of transphobic bullshit I've ever read.

There's literally no stated reason to exclude somebody for being trans* in the rules, and yet they openly denied this woman the chance to compete for that reason alone.

I guess idiots would rather just pretend that people like me don't exist.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Miss Universe Canada are a bunch of Transphobic fucks

Post by PeZook »

Instant Sunrise wrote: I guess idiots would rather just pretend that people like me don't exist.
Of course they would rather do that than deal with an unpleasant reality of...uh...a hot woman...having been a man. Biologically. Not quite. At some point in the past.

I'd love to see the future where sexuality was treated more like hair color: people make note of it and then go on living their lives. Because it seems that current attitudes keep making mountains out of molehills.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Random question that occured to me: If they had a rule against plastic surgery, would this still be unfair?

Also, I wonder what percentage of their candidates that would disqualify, if they did have such a rule...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Well, even if they let her compete they would never allow her to win.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Simon_Jester wrote:Random question that occured to me: If they had a rule against plastic surgery, would this still be unfair?

Also, I wonder what percentage of their candidates that would disqualify, if they did have such a rule...
Yes, it would, if she ONLY had SRS, because SRS doesn't improve your looks in any way (unless we are talking about wearing tight panties, and even then it doesn't provide any unfair advantage).
Now there are plenty of transwoman who had FFS (facial feminization surgery), which would be disqualified by such a rule - but that would be an "everyone is equal"-case.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The main thing I was thinking of when I wrote that was breast implants, especially in the second question: "Also, I wonder what percentage of their candidates that would disqualify, if they did have such a rule..."

I bet they'd have about three contestants left.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Could be an element here too, of not the organisers being a bunch of transphobic fucks (although they may well be), but they believing their viewers to be a bunch of transphobic fucks.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Korto wrote:Could be an element here too, of not the organisers being a bunch of transphobic fucks (although they may well be), but they believing their viewers to be a bunch of transphobic fucks.
In my opinion, acting *phobic on behalf of an imagined group is just as bad as doing it on your own beliefs.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Agreed, but it's a different motive. Rational greed instead of irrational hatred.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Instant Sunrise wrote:In my opinion, acting *phobic on behalf of an imagined group is just as bad as doing it on your own beliefs.
Not that it justifies it, but I don't think we're talking about an imagined group here.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I can't even read the comments on stories about this. It just sets my blood boiling to see such pigheaded ignorance on display.

I wish I knew a better way to respond to such things, but seeing the torrents of stupidity on display makes me unwilling to even try.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

You are technically correct, Korto, but I don't see how that makes a difference in practice. Discrimination is discrimination no matter what the motivation for it.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

“She did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form,” stated a Miss Universe Canada release issued on Friday
Not to defend this kind of discrimination (BTW, googled the young lady in question; she'd do well in the competition via looks), but it's possible there is something in form or contract or rules that could disqualify her based on her birth gender. From a legal stand-point, she was not born female. From a genetic/chromonal stand-point, she was probably not born female. (I have no idea how genetics and transexuality/transgenderism work). That would be the cause for disqualification.

If that's the case, they were probably put in to deal with cross-dressing to win the prize or something. If so, then there needs to be amendments made to account for SRS. SRS is not something you do casually or switch between to win pagenants or something.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Solauren wrote:Not to defend this kind of discrimination (BTW, googled the young lady in question; she'd do well in the competition via looks), but it's possible there is something in form or contract or rules that could disqualify her based on her birth gender. From a legal stand-point, she was not born female. From a genetic/chromonal stand-point, she was probably not born female. (I have no idea how genetics and transexuality/transgenderism work). That would be the cause for disqualification.
I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that they actually ask for "birth gender" or "do you have XX-chromosomes"*. They asked for sex with the standard "male/female"-options, and she put down "female". Her legal sex should be female already, since she had SRS and changing your legal sex is possible for transsexual people in Canada (albeit needlessly complicated). Therefore she did nothing wrong in filling out that form.

A male crossdresser could not legally put down "female" on that form and would this be disqualified if he falsely filled it out. The woman in question didn't do so.

*Doing so would actually be discrimination in it's own right in Germany, as long as it is not done for medical purposes.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

100% agree with you that it's extremely unlikely. Obviously, something needs to be done to correct this. The question is what?

I'm hoping the problem is some out-of-date rule or something.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

At the risk of inspiring a pile-on, I disagree with the OP. They are not discriminating against Talackova for being transsexual, they are discriminating against Talackova for being a man. We are not talking about discrimination against a competitor for being transgendered, homosexual or even transsexual, but simply refusing to accept a counterfactual claim.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

She's had the gender reassignment surgery, for pretty much all practical purposes she's a woman.

Unless chromosomes are vitally important for beauty pageants?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

She has a female brain, that makes her a woman. Everything else is just a birth defect.

You stupid, bigoted fuck.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Everyone remember when Miriam Rivera was the subject of a tv show in which they basically allowed men to become sexually and possibly emotionally attracted to her before she revealed to them that she was pre-op? And that the men involved sued the producers for being publically humiliated? That was only nine years ago. Attitudes aren't changing fast enough. Hell, it's been said on here that transpersons are the poor cousins in the the LGBT hierachy. If they can't get unanimous support from that base...
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Yeah, one thing that really drives home to me how bad transpeople have it is that when you live in the US and gay people look down on you, you must be pretty fucked.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Grumman wrote:At the risk of inspiring a pile-on, I disagree with the OP. They are not discriminating against Talackova for being transsexual, they are discriminating against Talackova for being a man. We are not talking about discrimination against a competitor for being transgendered, homosexual or even transsexual, but simply refusing to accept a counterfactual claim.
Gruman - you shithead - how do you define gender?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It may be that they decided her hormone treatment meant that she gained an unfair advantage much in the same way cosmetic surgery might. That is about the only thing I can think off that does not eliminate her for a reason other than discrimination.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Grumman wrote:At the risk of inspiring a pile-on, I disagree with the OP. They are not discriminating against Talackova for being transsexual, they are discriminating against Talackova for being a man. We are not talking about discrimination against a competitor for being transgendered, homosexual or even transsexual, but simply refusing to accept a counterfactual claim.
Hormone therapy, plastic surgery, and full reassignment surgery all say she's a woman - and unless she's very odd, so does brain chemistry. She is, for all intents and purposes except reproduction, a woman. The claim is not counterfactual.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

madd0ct0r wrote:Gruman - you shithead - how do you define gender?
Gender pretty much amounts to a bunch of stereotypes about how males or females think and act. Sex - which is what we're actually talking about - is a physical attribute, independent of the creature's capacity to recognise it.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

OK fine.
Apart from certain medical tests, it is impossible to tell this woman apart from any other woman. Her sex is surely female then?
Or are you seriously saying that her chromosomes are important here?