Trayvon Martin Case (Zimmerman charged; 2nd deg. murder)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Don't Be Black in Florida

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Anguirus wrote:Something is wrong somewhere if briefly getting the upper hand in a struggle with a man who is stalking you through the streets is "using deadly force" and justifies his shooting you in the fucking chest.
Except someone briefly getting the upper hand in a fight would not suffice as a deadly force situation. Is that how you interpret the witness account? If so, why?
Witnesses are always going to disagree with each other. Eyewitness testimony is frighteningly unreliable, let alone from a distance, at night. Personally, the allegations of police misconduct and witness tampering are of great interest to me as well, and I wonder what our resident police think of that.
Yes, witness testimony is unreliable. I wonder what kind of injuries Zimmerman had?

Failure to follow up on leads on a homicide investigation is very serious. The allegations of police misconduct and witness tampering are also serious. I'm glad that another agency is conducting the investigation.
It's also worthwhile to consider the histories of the two men. One was a paranoiac who habitually stalked black men around his neighborhood, the other was a squeaky-clean honors student. That doesn't preclude Martin throwing a few punches of course, but Zimmerman created the situation, possessed a considerable physical advantage, and has a violent criminal record.
Agreed. Though if I'm not mistaken your criminal history can only be used when considering sentencing.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

One thing that is bothering me about this case is that, apparently, when the cops showed up Zimmerman said "self-defense" and the cops went home without doing anything further. Note I said APPARENTLY, because I'm certain that, as usual, we aren't getting the full story.

What puzzles me, as someone who has some experience in self-defense along with my spouse, when the cops show up after the fact they ALWAYS ask questions. Even when self-defense was pretty clear the cops still asked questions and look into the matter. When we shot the would-be truck thief (which we were allowed to do under our state's castle doctrine) the cops showed up, collected the other guy's dropped weapon, examined the scene where the conflict occurred, asked questions, LOTS of questions, and basically tried to get as much information as possible about what happened even though no one was seriously injured (we think - the Bad Guy ran off in a remarkably spry manner for someone with an arrow sticking out of him).

I keep hearing reports that the police didn't ask any questions, didn't do even a cursory inquiry, basically just took a man at his word that he shot a man dead in self-defense. This is... very strange. It does make me wonder if the cops showed up, saw a young dead black man on the pavement, saw what they thought was a white man holding a gun, and jumped to an assumption here that had no basis in fact. And yes, I have to wonder about not only Zimmerman's possible racial bias, but also if the police likewise were being racist.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Uh yeah, that's the heart of the outrage over the case. Racism.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote:One thing that is bothering me about this case is that, apparently, when the cops showed up Zimmerman said "self-defense" and the cops went home without doing anything further. Note I said APPARENTLY, because I'm certain that, as usual, we aren't getting the full story.
We do know from police admissions
1. Toxicology of Zimmerman was not done
2. Zimmerman was not detained
3. Zimmerman was not brought in for a medical screening

By police admission they talked to Zimmerman and sent him home, we can get into all sorts of areas were we know nothing about what else they did, but what the did with Zimmerman that night is well know and corroborated by the police chief at his news conferences.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Aaron MkII wrote:Uh yeah, that's the heart of the outrage over the case. Racism.
Which is an assumption, and not a safe one. A lot of the claims of racism are simply "black teenager + white shooter + no arrest = racism".
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Broomstick wrote:One thing that is bothering me about this case is that, apparently, when the cops showed up Zimmerman said "self-defense" and the cops went home without doing anything further. Note I said APPARENTLY, because I'm certain that, as usual, we aren't getting the full story.

What puzzles me, as someone who has some experience in self-defense along with my spouse, when the cops show up after the fact they ALWAYS ask questions. Even when self-defense was pretty clear the cops still asked questions and look into the matter. When we shot the would-be truck thief (which we were allowed to do under our state's castle doctrine) the cops showed up, collected the other guy's dropped weapon, examined the scene where the conflict occurred, asked questions, LOTS of questions, and basically tried to get as much information as possible about what happened even though no one was seriously injured (we think - the Bad Guy ran off in a remarkably spry manner for someone with an arrow sticking out of him).

I keep hearing reports that the police didn't ask any questions, didn't do even a cursory inquiry, basically just took a man at his word that he shot a man dead in self-defense. This is... very strange. It does make me wonder if the cops showed up, saw a young dead black man on the pavement, saw what they thought was a white man holding a gun, and jumped to an assumption here that had no basis in fact. And yes, I have to wonder about not only Zimmerman's possible racial bias, but also if the police likewise were being racist.

Who exactly is making these reports you keep hearing, and what exactly do they say? Frequently when people say "the police didn't do anything" what they really mean is "they didn't do what I expected" or "they didn't do what I thought they should have".
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

SVPD wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:Uh yeah, that's the heart of the outrage over the case. Racism.
Which is an assumption, and not a safe one. A lot of the claims of racism are simply "black teenager + white shooter + no arrest = racism".
Aye.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

No. It is The South+white shooter+black teenager+no investigation+witness tampering+ignoring evidence=racism.

Big difference there.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
No. It is The South+white shooter+black teenager+no investigation+witness tampering+ignoring evidence=racism.

Big difference there.
You're a bit off base. There was an investigation but incomplete. Also, I thought Zimmerman is Hispanic.

I agree that racism is a factor that should be looked into. However, it is not conclusive. Yet, people have already concluded that an investigation wasn't done properly because the cops are racist instead of lazy.

They may have dismissed the girlfriend because she wasn't there and they already have an eye witness confirm the Zimmerman's self defense story. This sounds like them being lazy to me. They should follow up on all leads and witnesses. However, this is not a case of the cops showing up and saying "Oh, dead black teenage...must be a good shoot". You, and any others, will need to produce better evidence then a formula.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Not to disrupt the outrage, but Zimmerman's not white and doesn't look white, he is very clearly some sort of hispanic descent as far as features go. So there's no chance the cops showed up and said, white shooter dead black kid, screw it.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

SVPD wrote: Following someone is not illegal, even if the police tell you not to.
That's debatable. It can be termed harrassment and stalking. Especially since the guy is carrying a gun.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Block wrote:
SVPD wrote: Following someone is not illegal, even if the police tell you not to.
That's debatable. It can be termed harrassment and stalking. Especially since the guy is carrying a gun.
Not really. Stalking and harassment required repeated offenses.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I actually have never seen a picture of Mr. Zimmerman - I have no idea if he "looks white" or not. His father said he "looked white". Make of that what you will, I suppose. It's not like there is a hard and fast demarcation between various ethnicities. I have no idea what the cops thought his race was or wasn't.

I have no idea if the cops were racist or not, but I've know a quite a few racist cops in my time. It's not beyond possibility that it could be a factor.

As far as toxicology goes - I'm not sure how that would tie in, unless there was reason for the cops to think Mr. Zimmerman was under the influence of some substance. More interesting is whether or not Mr. Zimmerman had injuries, claimed injury, or whether the cops even inquired about injuries given Mr. Zimmerman's claim of being attacked. I don't trust we're getting the real story from the media.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Block wrote:
Not really. Stalking and harassment required repeated offenses.
Given his pattern, I think it fits. Also depends on the state, it doesn't always require repeated offenses, a single continuous incident meets the legal standard in some states.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

This is Zimmerman btw.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

A lot of the claims of racism are simply "black teenager + white shooter + no arrest = racism".
Also incorporate the history of the area and the history of law enforcement in this country w.r.t. black males. This incident has sparked an explosion of personal accounts on the web of black men who have legitimately feared for their lives during what should have been very normal, routine interactions with law enforcement in this country. Out of curiosity, have you read any of them?

I believe that we have a long-standing cultural problem that this has brought to light, and needs to be addressed. In addition, any suggestion that a Hispanic background inoculates one against black-oriented racism strikes me as problematic, at best. Certainly goes against my (limited) sociological education.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

You're a bit off base. There was an investigation but incomplete. Also, I thought Zimmerman is Hispanic.
That is fair.
They may have dismissed the girlfriend because she wasn't there and they already have an eye witness confirm the Zimmerman's self defense story.
And they told another witness contradicting that story that the voice they heard begging for their life was wrong, and they did not send Zimmerman for a medical exam to determine if he had been injured. We know Zimmerman's story makes no sense because he lived in the area and would not have checked a street sign in order to be attacked from behind, but the police took it at face value. We have an officer on scene with a history of covering up attacks on black people/attacks by "friends" of the police department. Multiple witnesses of Martin screaming for help and begging for his life (with the police "correcting" at least one of them when she gave testimony he did not like). We have the girlfriend who said her boyfriend was terrified over the phone. And we have a violent criminal record on the part of zimmerman (which goes to credibility if nothing else) and a transcript that shows premeditation on the part of Zimmerman to confront Martin--probably with violence.

What exactly are we to conclude here? Even if the police let him go initially, all of this evidence was available to them at the time or shortly thereafter, or they tampered with it.

Understandable might have been waiting until the next day to bring in Zimmerman for interrogation--armed with all the other evidence at their disposal to see what shakes loose.

Simple Laziness might be taking a story at face value that made no sense--initially--but saying "ein minuten, bitte" and coming back later, or not bothering to ID the body for three days.

Incompetent investigation might be ignoring evidence that contradicts the first account given.

It becomes some sort of actual malfeasance once you start correcting witness testimony and poisoning the investigatory well. It may not be racism, but it is certainly not innocent. Of course, none of these things are mutually exclusive. It is possible for someone to be racist/otherwise malfeasant, lazy, and incompetent. And of course, one might lead to the other. Especially given the history of this country with regard to racism in law enforcement, and the history of the south in that regard in particular.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

SVPD wrote:
TheHammer wrote: Even assuming that is true, look at it from Martin's perspect. If Zimmerman was following him and armed with a handgun, wasn't Martin thus exercising his own rights to defend himself via the "stand your ground" law? Maybe he felt that if he let up for an instant, this armed man who had been following him for some unknown reason was going to blow him away. That's how I'd view it...
He might initially have been exercising his right to self defense, but that does not extend to getting someone down and then beating their head in. It might if they already did something or said something that expressed the intent to use deadly force against you, but if they didn't you can't just escalate to deadly force simply because they are armed.
Assuming he drew his gun and the fact that he wasn't a cop I'd take that as an expressed intent to use deadly force. Second, Kamikaze Sith said that the "witness account" was that he was "beating their head in" however, that's NOT what the fuck the story he posted said... Specifically:

"The guy on the bottom, who had a red sweater on, was yelling to me, 'Help! Help!' and I told him to stop, and I was calling 911," said the witness, who asked to be identified only by his first name, John.

Where the hell is this "john" anyway? His side was reported back in February, and only then to a reporter. It also contradicts other reports on who was yelling for help. One has to wonder if this "John" was telling the truth, or if his side has been debunked at this point.

But lets assume that it is true... It only indicated that Martin was on top at the time he saw the struggle. It would be tough to imagine how Zimmerman got his gun drawn if he was in that situation, unless he had already drawn his gun and was battling with Martin for control of it.
The person who provokes the incident shouldn't be able to use a "self defense" excuse to get off scott free whenever they bite off more than they can chew. As noted, you could essentially kill anyone by simply provoking a fight with them, letting them win sufficiently that you are injured, then blasting them and claim you were fearful for your life. In those instances, the provocateur should at the very least be charged with aggravated manslaughter, or second degree murder - and I'd err on the latter.
First of all, unless I'm missing something, I've not yet seen where Zimmerman provoked the incident. He might have, but all that we're sure that he did was follow the kid, and then later, he shot him. There's a gap in there we're trying to ill in and so far have not been able to.
The alternative would be that Martin provoked the incident despite the fact that he repeatedely tried to get away from the guy following him. Zimmerman's stated reason as to why he got out of his truck doesn't make any logical sense. The story he gave police was that he wanted to "check what street he was on". Firstly, its raining and he seemed to think it unusual for someone to be out walking in the rain. Second It's his neighborhood, why would he not know which street he was coming up to? Third, street signs are placed in such a way that they are visible so you don't have to get out of your vehicle to use them. It's an obvious lie. The truth is that Zimmerman was tired of this "fucking punks (or coons whichever you believe he said" and these "assholes always getting away". He had motive to attack Martin.
Following someone might be disturbing or alarming to them, but it isn't automatically a threat or an assault, nor a provocation. Furthermore, it's very dangerous to use "provoked the incident" as a standard. Does simple verbal provocation somehow justify the provoked person in beating the tar out of the loudmouth, or even killing him? The loudmouth can't defend themself at all without being guilty of assault or murder? I'd be interested to know if you therefore think it's ok for police officers to use any amount of force they want if someone "provokes" them?
Yes even if the incident is simple "verbal provocation" the instigator shouldn't be able to get off scott free if they end up killing the person they provoked. Obviously, if you really feel your life is in danger you gotta do what you gotta do and use deadly force. But there should be consequences nonetheless that will force you to use that line as a very last resort, or again you fall back to the same line where you could essentially kill anyone by provoking an incident.

And it would seem to me SVPD that in many instances cops do use whatever amount of force they feel is neccessary to stop an assailant. If they had an armed man down on the ground I don't think they'd stop until he was disarmed. Obviously Martin didn't get him disarmed, and until the danger was removed I believe he would be justified in continuing to defend himself. Unfortunately his defense of his life failed.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:We know Zimmerman's story makes no sense because he lived in the area and would not have checked a street sign in order to be attacked from behind, but the police took it at face value.
I've lived in the same area for the last ten years. Aside from my street and the main streets, if I was on a side road in the neighborhood, I'd need to look at the street signs to know exactly what street I'm on.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Agent Fisher wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:We know Zimmerman's story makes no sense because he lived in the area and would not have checked a street sign in order to be attacked from behind, but the police took it at face value.
I've lived in the same area for the last ten years. Aside from my street and the main streets, if I was on a side road in the neighborhood, I'd need to look at the street signs to know exactly what street I'm on.
Sure, but you have the area mapped in your head yes? He was not on a cell phone with the police, and he would not need to know the street names to track someone, he was not lost and trying to find where he was... so....
Last edited by SCRawl on 2012-03-28 09:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate post deleted - SCRawl

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Agent Fisher wrote:
But would you get out of your car in the rain to look at the street signs, or would you simply look at them from your car like a normal human being?
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

SVPD wrote:
It could very well be that Zimmerman simply saw a stranger in the neighborhood who happened to be black and acting "oddly" and decided that since he was Captain of the Neighborhood Watch that it was his "duty" to play vigilante. Had it been a white stranger would he have done the same? Quite possibly.

So I'm not entirely convinced racism was the real motivating factor in the shooting itself, but it may have played more of a role in the "investigation" conducted by the local PD. One the one hand you have the Neighborhood watch captain whose lived in the area for a while, and on the other you have a black "hood" who was an outsider. Combine that with the fact that the Neighborhood watch captain was going to school to become a cop, you can factor in the whole "brothers in blue" protection you see in cases where real cops screw things up and you get a shoddy investigation where obvious holes in the the story are simply ignored.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ Trayvon Martin lived in the neighborhood. Also, from the 911 tapes it seems this guy, his gun, and his truck considered a number of black youths "strangers" over the course of years.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: And they told another witness contradicting that story that the voice they heard begging for their life was wrong, and they did not send Zimmerman for a medical exam to determine if he had been injured. We know Zimmerman's story makes no sense because he lived in the area and would not have checked a street sign in order to be attacked from behind, but the police took it at face value. We have an officer on scene with a history of covering up attacks on black people/attacks by "friends" of the police department. Multiple witnesses of Martin screaming for help and begging for his life (with the police "correcting" at least one of them when she gave testimony he did not like). We have the girlfriend who said her boyfriend was terrified over the phone. And we have a violent criminal record on the part of zimmerman (which goes to credibility if nothing else) and a transcript that shows premeditation on the part of Zimmerman to confront Martin--probably with violence.
Obviously, you've never tried following someone before. It is easy to get disoriented if you aren't paying attention to the signs as you pass. If he was mid block on foot or in his vehicle he would still need to get into a position where he could read the sign for the street he was on. So no. You're flat wrong on that one.

Anyway, if you suspect racism on part of the department. That's fine. The incomplete investigation is reason enough to suspect it.

What exactly are we to conclude here? Even if the police let him go initially, all of this evidence was available to them at the time or shortly thereafter, or they tampered with it.

Understandable might have been waiting until the next day to bring in Zimmerman for interrogation--armed with all the other evidence at their disposal to see what shakes loose.
It is possible they spoke with him at the scene. It is also possible he gave his explanation and then choose to remain silent.
Simple Laziness might be taking a story at face value that made no sense--initially--but saying "ein minuten, bitte" and coming back later, or not bothering to ID the body for three days.

Incompetent investigation might be ignoring evidence that contradicts the first account given.

It becomes some sort of actual malfeasance once you start correcting witness testimony and poisoning the investigatory well. It may not be racism, but it is certainly not innocent. Of course, none of these things are mutually exclusive. It is possible for someone to be racist/otherwise malfeasant, lazy, and incompetent. And of course, one might lead to the other. Especially given the history of this country with regard to racism in law enforcement, and the history of the south in that regard in particular.
Hopefully, time will reveal any clear racist motivations.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Can someone clarify this neighbourhood watch thing? What's its goal? What's the legality?

Neighbourhood watch here is a service for kids who think they are in danger to contact police, so I'm kinda confused.