What if North Korea Invades?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

jegs2
Imperial Spook

What if North Korea Invades?

Post by jegs2 »

How plausible a scenario would it be for the Imnun Gun to assault South Korea just as US forces are invading Iraq? With two heavy divisions, an airborne division, an air assault division, and a significant slice of US Naval power decisively engaged elsewhere, what would US military options be when faced with a full-scale invasion of South Korea by the Imnun Gun?

Note: Changed the title as requested IOT preclude risk of heart attacks.
Last edited by jegs2 on 2003-03-20 02:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Probably let the SK's and Japs deal with it, move the rest of the Pac fleet to Korea, and take a CVBG from the Gulf, is my guess.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Try to pull the American ground forces back from the DMZ to avoid getting anihilated in the initial N Korean push, then send the survivors north along with South Korea's better trained, better fed, better equipped, and better motivated army throw the commies back however far they have to until the North Korean army revolts and Kim Jong Il is assassinated by one of his underlings to prevent him from using nukes and brining down American ICBMs on all their heads.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It doesn't matter that US heavy forces are tied up, though there's a lot of units that could still be called on. North Korea is in such shitty shape the war would be over before any heavy troops could be brought in. And the South's reserves would take care of the counter attack for the most part.

15-20 years ago the threat was North Korea encircling Seoul and heading south. Today the threat is them getting within 122mm artillery range of the city, and even that is unlikely.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 15-20 years ago the threat was North Korea encircling Seoul and heading south. Today the threat is them getting within 122mm artillery range of the city, and even that is unlikely.
Don't the NK already have a whole bunch of artillery with Seoul in range?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

:shock:

Reads the post.

Damn it, clean that title up, make it seem less like a news thing.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shinova wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote: 15-20 years ago the threat was North Korea encircling Seoul and heading south. Today the threat is them getting within 122mm artillery range of the city, and even that is unlikely.
Don't the NK already have a whole bunch of artillery with Seoul in range?
Yes, but only high caliber stuff that makes up a minority of there arsenal, fires slowly and some of which would be needed to bombard military targets.

Course, North Korea has about 10,000, guns, heavy mortars and mulitpul rocket launchers so where still talking about quite alot of firepower. But its not city leveling. To cause any really serious damage they need there lighter weapons in range. If they can do that and hold out against counter attacks they might get favorabul peace terms.

However its unlikely, and if the war lasts longer then 10 days or so the North is very fucked. South Koreas active Army can field as many troops as the US can and they have a reserve force of over 3 million.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

You can sense though Bush and Rumsfield are priming Korea for the next target. Wanting to pull back U.S. troops away from the DMZ because they feel it's too "cluttered," the deployment of additional B-52s, and the increased pressure on N. Korean by rejecting constant official talks the N. Koreans have actually extended to the States. The pressure is building and the kettle lid is secured too tight.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Except pulling US troops out of South Korea has been floating around for several decades. Carter came very close to doing so and Clinton considered it. The heavy bomber deployment to Guam is to fight Iraq, the island has been used for that task many times before.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Except pulling US troops out of South Korea has been floating around for several decades. Carter came very close to doing so and Clinton considered it. The heavy bomber deployment to Guam is to fight Iraq, the island has been used for that task many times before.
Well, it's just incidental that Rumsfield felt they werne't "needed" when tensions with North Korea dramatically increased. Just incidentaly really :)

Actually, the B-52 deployments were specific for deterrence towards N. Korea to not try anything during this Iraqi mess.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

MOTHERFUCKER! are you out of your god-damn mind? That title nearly gave me a heart-attack!

Good one *two thumbs up* :) :o :shock:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Trytostaydead wrote:
Well, it's just incidental that Rumsfield felt they werne't "needed" when tensions with North Korea dramatically increased. Just incidentaly really :)
Examine a copy of the South Korean Active Army order of battle, and then that of its reserves. Then try to come up with a reason why two brigades of light infantry are even remotely important to the defense of South Korea or. Rumsfeld doesn't like maneuver warfare very much and is at most using the whole situation as an excuse to do what he wants to anyway.
Actually, the B-52 deployments were specific for deterrence towards N. Korea to not try anything during this Iraqi mess.
So it was claimed. Even though the deployment of heavy bombers to the island was being talked about for weeks before and had been done for every other major action against Iraq.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Just bumping this one back up because the responses have been great. :twisted:

Admitedly I thought the same thing as several others although I counldn't understand why it was so far down the first page if North Korea was currently invading South Korea.

As usual Sea Skimmer has been very infomative. --Thanks--
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Someone change this thread title to "What if NK Invades" You caused me to
almost have a heart attack thanks to the war
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

MKSheppard wrote:Someone change this thread title to "What if NK Invades" You caused me to

But that's the fun part. :twisted:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

MKSheppard wrote:Someone change this thread title to "What if NK Invades" You caused me to
DAMN! foiled again! :D *pats shep on the back thinking..."come on you stupid heart, stop beating, stop beating goddamnit!"* :D
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Same here.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Same here.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
j1j2j3
Padawan Learner

Post by j1j2j3 »

Arrrgghh... My brain went numb for a couple seconds!
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Vorlon1701 wrote:
Same here.
Yeah, it freaked me for a second cause Jegs was the creator. It would be a lot bloodier than the war in Iraq would be. However, the North will lose no matter what.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Uhm, what was the original title?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Nathan F wrote:Uhm, what was the original title?
North Korea Invades.