US officially condemned by UN rapporteur for torture

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

US officially condemned by UN rapporteur for torture

Post by Thanas »

UN top torture official denounces Bradley Manning’s detention

In December, 2010, the U.N.’s special rapporteur on torture announced a formal investigation into the conditions of Bradley Manning’s detention that endured for the eight months he was held at a Marine brig in Quantico, Virginia. The Army Private has been detained since May, 2010, on charges that he leaked classified documents to WikiLeaks, but has not yet been tried. Yesterday, the U.N. official overseeing the investigation pronounced that “Bradley Manning was subjected to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment in the excessive and prolonged isolation“ to which he was subjected at Quantico.
That official, Juan Ernesto Mendez, heads the U.N. office created by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights, bestowed with the mandate “to examine questions relevant to torture.”

The extreme conditions of Manning’s detention were first reported here in December, 2010, and included Manning’s being held 23 out of 24 hours a day in solitary confinement for what had then been five straight months, along with other plainly punitive measures. Thereafter, Manning was stripped of his clothing and forced to stand nude for morning inspection, and a special Marine investigation (ultimately rejected by brig officials) concluded that “that Manning’s jailers violated Navy policy by keeping him on suicide watch after psychiatrists concluded he was not a threat to himself.” In the wake of what had become a worldwide controversy that led to the resignation of the State Department’s spokesman, Manning was moved in April, 2011, to Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, where his detention conditions apparently improved.

Over the past year, the U.N. torture investigator repeatedly complained – including in official reprimands – that his investigation was being obstructed by the Obama administration, which refused to provide unmonitored access to interview Manning.
About this refusal to allow an unmonitored interview with Manning, the U.N. official said: “Such a condition violates long-standing rules that the UN applies for prison visits and for interviews with inmates everywhere in the world.” In reporting on this U.N. grievance, The Guardian wrote: “It is the kind of censure the UN normally reserves for authoritarian regimes around the world”; indeed, “the vast majority of states allowed for visits to detainees without conditions.” Just to underscore how unusual was this obstruction: the Bush administration allowed investigators with the International Committee of the Red Cross private interviews even with the most “high-value” detainees at Guantanamo: that is, once they emerged from the CIA “black sites” where they were kept for almost three years beyond the reach of the ICRC (see p. 3 of the ICRC report).

Despite this obstruction of his investigation, the U.N. torture rapporteur, speaking at a U.N. Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva, condemned Manning’s treatment as “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment,” specifically citing “the excessive and prolonged isolation he was put in during the eight months he was in Quantico.” He also rejected the defenses offered by Obama officials for what was done to Manning: “the explanation I was given for those eight months was not convincing for me.”

Once the oppressive conditions of Manning’s detention were reported here, an intense controversy resulted. In January, 2011, Amnesty International wrote a letter to then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates protesting that the conditions “are unnecessarily severe and amount to inhumane treatment” and “breach the USA’s obligations under international standards and treaties.” In March, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley was asked at a small Q-and-A session at MIT by a PhD student: “There’s an elephant in the room during this discussion: Wikileaks. The US government is torturing a whistleblower in prison right now.” Crowley replied by denouncing the abuse of Manning as “ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid.” That, in turn, led to President Obama’s being asked at a Press Conference about Crowley’s criticisms by ABC News‘ Jake Tapper (Obama replied that brig officials “assured” him Manning was being handled properly), and to Crowley’s “resignation” shortly thereafter.

Beyond human rights groups and the U.N., criticisms over Manning’s detention condition were widespread and vehement. Leading newspapers editorialized against it, with the LA Times denouncing it as “inhumane,” while The New York Times, under the headline “The Abuse of Private Manning,” editorialized that the Obama administration” has been treating [Manning] abusively, in a way that conjures creepy memories of how the Bush administration used to treat terror suspects. Inexplicably, it appears to have President Obama’s support to do so.” The NYT Editors added: “Far more troubling is why President Obama, who has forcefully denounced prisoner abuse, is condoning this treatment.”

The only support for Manning’s treatment came from far-right neocon outlets that have long reflexively supported torture [The Weekly Standard (“Don’t Cry for Bradley Manning”) and RedState (“Give Bradley Manning His Pillow and Blankie Back”)], along with Obama’s hardest-core, the-Leader-does-not-err followers who echoed those neocons almost verbatim, such as this front-page writer at the liberal blog Crooks & Liars (“the meme o the day seems to be on Manning’s so-called torture, to which I say ‘boo hoo“), and this former Obama campaign press aide and current daytime MSNBC contributor (“Bradley Manning has no pillow??? GTFOH!”). It’s revealing indeed how often those two factions are in lock-step agreement. Atrios asked the right question about such individuals here.

It is remarkable that the administration of President Obama, who repeatedly railed against and vowed to end detainee abuse, first obstructed the investigation of the U.N.’s top torture investigator, only to be now harshly condemned by that investigator for “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment”: treatment that endured for eight full months until the controversy became too intense to permit it to continue any longer.

I fully expect nothing to happen due to this and nobody but people who spoke out against it will lose their jobs over this. Anything else would not fit the modus operandi of Obama.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Re: US officially condemned by UN rapporteur for torture

Post by TheHammer »

Thanas wrote:
UN top torture official denounces Bradley Manning’s detention

In December, 2010, the U.N.’s special rapporteur on torture announced a formal investigation into the conditions of Bradley Manning’s detention that endured for the eight months he was held at a Marine brig in Quantico, Virginia. The Army Private has been detained since May, 2010, on charges that he leaked classified documents to WikiLeaks, but has not yet been tried. Yesterday, the U.N. official overseeing the investigation pronounced that “Bradley Manning was subjected to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment in the excessive and prolonged isolation“ to which he was subjected at Quantico.
That official, Juan Ernesto Mendez, heads the U.N. office created by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights, bestowed with the mandate “to examine questions relevant to torture.”

The extreme conditions of Manning’s detention were first reported here in December, 2010, and included Manning’s being held 23 out of 24 hours a day in solitary confinement for what had then been five straight months, along with other plainly punitive measures. Thereafter, Manning was stripped of his clothing and forced to stand nude for morning inspection, and a special Marine investigation (ultimately rejected by brig officials) concluded that “that Manning’s jailers violated Navy policy by keeping him on suicide watch after psychiatrists concluded he was not a threat to himself.” In the wake of what had become a worldwide controversy that led to the resignation of the State Department’s spokesman, Manning was moved in April, 2011, to Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, where his detention conditions apparently improved.

Over the past year, the U.N. torture investigator repeatedly complained – including in official reprimands – that his investigation was being obstructed by the Obama administration, which refused to provide unmonitored access to interview Manning.
About this refusal to allow an unmonitored interview with Manning, the U.N. official said: “Such a condition violates long-standing rules that the UN applies for prison visits and for interviews with inmates everywhere in the world.” In reporting on this U.N. grievance, The Guardian wrote: “It is the kind of censure the UN normally reserves for authoritarian regimes around the world”; indeed, “the vast majority of states allowed for visits to detainees without conditions.” Just to underscore how unusual was this obstruction: the Bush administration allowed investigators with the International Committee of the Red Cross private interviews even with the most “high-value” detainees at Guantanamo: that is, once they emerged from the CIA “black sites” where they were kept for almost three years beyond the reach of the ICRC (see p. 3 of the ICRC report).

Despite this obstruction of his investigation, the U.N. torture rapporteur, speaking at a U.N. Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva, condemned Manning’s treatment as “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment,” specifically citing “the excessive and prolonged isolation he was put in during the eight months he was in Quantico.” He also rejected the defenses offered by Obama officials for what was done to Manning: “the explanation I was given for those eight months was not convincing for me.”

Once the oppressive conditions of Manning’s detention were reported here, an intense controversy resulted. In January, 2011, Amnesty International wrote a letter to then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates protesting that the conditions “are unnecessarily severe and amount to inhumane treatment” and “breach the USA’s obligations under international standards and treaties.” In March, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley was asked at a small Q-and-A session at MIT by a PhD student: “There’s an elephant in the room during this discussion: Wikileaks. The US government is torturing a whistleblower in prison right now.” Crowley replied by denouncing the abuse of Manning as “ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid.” That, in turn, led to President Obama’s being asked at a Press Conference about Crowley’s criticisms by ABC News‘ Jake Tapper (Obama replied that brig officials “assured” him Manning was being handled properly), and to Crowley’s “resignation” shortly thereafter.

Beyond human rights groups and the U.N., criticisms over Manning’s detention condition were widespread and vehement. Leading newspapers editorialized against it, with the LA Times denouncing it as “inhumane,” while The New York Times, under the headline “The Abuse of Private Manning,” editorialized that the Obama administration” has been treating [Manning] abusively, in a way that conjures creepy memories of how the Bush administration used to treat terror suspects. Inexplicably, it appears to have President Obama’s support to do so.” The NYT Editors added: “Far more troubling is why President Obama, who has forcefully denounced prisoner abuse, is condoning this treatment.”

The only support for Manning’s treatment came from far-right neocon outlets that have long reflexively supported torture [The Weekly Standard (“Don’t Cry for Bradley Manning”) and RedState (“Give Bradley Manning His Pillow and Blankie Back”)], along with Obama’s hardest-core, the-Leader-does-not-err followers who echoed those neocons almost verbatim, such as this front-page writer at the liberal blog Crooks & Liars (“the meme o the day seems to be on Manning’s so-called torture, to which I say ‘boo hoo“), and this former Obama campaign press aide and current daytime MSNBC contributor (“Bradley Manning has no pillow??? GTFOH!”). It’s revealing indeed how often those two factions are in lock-step agreement. Atrios asked the right question about such individuals here.

It is remarkable that the administration of President Obama, who repeatedly railed against and vowed to end detainee abuse, first obstructed the investigation of the U.N.’s top torture investigator, only to be now harshly condemned by that investigator for “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment”: treatment that endured for eight full months until the controversy became too intense to permit it to continue any longer.

I fully expect nothing to happen due to this and nobody but people who spoke out against it will lose their jobs over this. Anything else would not fit the modus operandi of Obama.
So... the "torture" amounted to solitary confinement and morning strip searches? Quite frankly, the solitary confinement was probably to his benefit. I don't think he'd be well recieved amongst a general population of mlitary prisoners, many of whom likely view him as a traitor.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

TheHammer wrote:So... the "torture" amounted to solitary confinement and morning strip searches? Quite frankly, the solitary confinement was probably to his benefit. I don't think he'd be well recieved amongst a general population of mlitary prisoners, many of whom likely view him as a traitor.
It is funny how the US had no problem condemning other nations for this as torture or inhumane treatment.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

TheHammer wrote:
So... the "torture" amounted to solitary confinement and morning strip searches? Quite frankly, the solitary confinement was probably to his benefit. I don't think he'd be well recieved amongst a general population of mlitary prisoners, many of whom likely view him as a traitor.
Try reading what they actually did to him Hammer and put yourself in his shoes

You start you day naked because you were placed on suicide watch despite the fact that military psychologists concluded you were not a suicide threat
You are inspected daily in the nude and then left in your bare isolation cell
You stay in that cell for 23 hours a day unable to hear or communicate with anyone as your in isolation. You guards will not speak to you except for orders
When it's meal time you are restrained and given a short amount of time to eat before once again being locked in your cell with noting to do, see or hear
The only times you get human interaction is when your being interrogated or on the rare times your allowed to speak to your Lawyer.
Remember it took over a year between the time you started this confinement and when you were charged with anything, you spent a year in prison before your even charged let alone have a hearing.
Also during that year they have you on a sleep deprivation track, if you try and sleep guards will shake you awake or make you stand.

But that's what life was like before intense criticism last year put a stop to that. Locked in a cell away from all contact, in the nude while being denied sleep for months on end, allowed to see your lawyers rarely and being informed you've not been charged with any crime yet are in prison for good.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TheHammer wrote:So... the "torture" amounted to solitary confinement and morning strip searches? Quite frankly, the solitary confinement was probably to his benefit. I don't think he'd be well recieved amongst a general population of mlitary prisoners, many of whom likely view him as a traitor.
The "suicide watch" also had elements of sleep deprivation to it - waking him up every five minutes if he rolls over in bed or pulls the blanket up, and doing the same if he tries to catch up during the day.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the intent was to make him suffer, by forced nudity, lack of sleep, lack of exercise and lack of contact with other people - I don't think the Obama Administration deserves the benefit of the doubt in this case.

I mean, how stupid would you have to be to honestly believe that this would make him less likely to commit suicide?
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Mr Bean wrote:
TheHammer wrote:
Try reading what they actually did to him Hammer and put yourself in his shoes
Ok I'll try, but I don't really have any sympathy for Manning. Here goes...
You start you day naked because you were placed on suicide watch despite the fact that military psychologists concluded you were not a suicide threat
You are inspected daily in the nude and then left in your bare isolation cell
Might be a bit embarassing the first few times. But at a certain point it would simply become a mildly annoying part of my daily routine.
You stay in that cell for 23 hours a day unable to hear or communicate with anyone as your in isolation. You guards will not speak to you except for orders
When it's meal time you are restrained and given a short amount of time to eat before once again being locked in your cell with noting to do, see or hear
The only times you get human interaction is when your being interrogated or on the rare times your allowed to speak to your Lawyer.
Remember it took over a year between the time you started this confinement and when you were charged with anything, you spent a year in prison before your even charged let alone have a hearing.
I'd probably occupy my time thinking about all the people who were being hurt and or killed by my reckless release of classified material. I'd try to console myself by thinking that at least some of the material I released was of wrong doing, and hope that some good would come of it.
Also during that year they have you on a sleep deprivation track, if you try and sleep guards will shake you awake or make you stand.
It would be aggravating for sure. I have first hand experience with this actually with my ex wife when we fought, which was fairly constant for YEARS. I got very good at shutting out the noise and the shaking and sleeping through it anyway lol.
But that's what life was like before intense criticism last year put a stop to that. Locked in a cell away from all contact, in the nude while being denied sleep for months on end, allowed to see your lawyers rarely and being informed you've not been charged with any crime yet are in prison for good.
Maybe he didn't know the specific charges, but he had to know he was going to be charged. And he has been charged and will be tried, so I'm not sure what your "in prison for good" is referring to...

Thanas wrote:
It is funny how the US had no problem condemning other nations for this as torture or inhumane treatment.
Care to cite anything? At worst, it makes certain elements of the U.S. government hypocritical I suppose, but quite frankly I'd never consider any of the treatment cited to be "torture". Should it have been happening? Some of it certainly shouldn't have, but its pretty tame in the grand scheme of things. Hardly worthy of the special attention it has been given...
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TheHammer wrote:I'd probably occupy my time thinking about all the people who were being hurt and or killed by my reckless release of classified material.
Like who? Last time I checked, there didn't appear to be a single example that anyone could point to.
It would be aggravating for sure. I have first hand experience with this actually with my ex wife when we fought, which was fairly constant for YEARS. I got very good at shutting out the noise and the shaking and sleeping through it anyway lol.
I'm sure that's going to work when your ex-wife thinks you're a traitor, and can excuse pretty much anything done to wake you up and "make sure you're okay" as being for your own good.
Maybe he didn't know the specific charges, but he had to know he was going to be charged. And he has been charged and will be tried, so I'm not sure what your "in prison for good" is referring to...
Have you been living under a rock for the past ten years? Did you miss this whole "indefinite detention without trial" thing?
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

TheHammer wrote:I'd probably occupy my time thinking about all the people who were being hurt and or killed by my reckless release of classified material.
That would be no one.
The Guardian wrote:The US army intelligence analyst suspected of giving classified material to WikiLeaks says a White House review has concluded that the alleged leaks did no real damage to national security.

Bradley Manning's defence attorney made the claim in a court filing he released publicly on Monday.

The filing also claims a defence department review found that all the information allegedly leaked was either dated, represented low-level opinions, or was already known because of previous public disclosures.

Manning is seeking the reports to aid in his defence.

His lawyer also contends it was common for soldiers to add unauthorised software to their work computers. Two of the 22 counts Manning faces allege he added unauthorised programs to his work station.

Manning's first hearing is set for 16 December at Fort Meade.
TheHammer wrote: It would be aggravating for sure. I have first hand experience with this actually with my ex wife when we fought, which was fairly constant for YEARS. I got very good at shutting out the noise and the shaking and sleeping through it anyway lol.
They...keep shaking him until he wakes up and responds.
TheHammer wrote: Care to cite anything? At worst, it makes certain elements of the U.S. government hypocritical I suppose, but quite frankly I'd never consider any of the treatment cited to be "torture". Should it have been happening? Some of it certainly shouldn't have, but its pretty tame in the grand scheme of things. Hardly worthy of the special attention it has been given...
Funny how nearly 300 professors of civil rights law disagree with you...
A Statement on Private Manning's Detention wrote:Bradley Manning is the soldier charged with leaking U.S. government documents to Wikileaks.

He is currently detained under degrading and inhumane conditions that are illegal and immoral.

For nine months, Manning has been confined to his cell for 23 hours a day. During his one remaining hour, he can walk in circles in another room, with no other prisoners present. He is not allowed to doze off or relax during the day, but must answer the question “Are you OK?” verbally and in the affirmative every five minutes. At night, he is awakened to be asked again, “are you OK” every time he turns his back to the cell door or covers his head with a blanket so that the guards cannot see his face. During the past week he was forced to sleep naked and stand naked for inspection in front of his cell, and for the indefinite future must remove his clothes and wear a "smock" under claims of risk to himself that he disputes.

The sum of the treatment that has been widely reported is a violation of the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment, and the Fifth Amendment’s guarantee against punishment without trial. If continued, it may well amount to a violation of the criminal statute against torture, defined as, among other things, “the administration or application… of… procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality.”

Private Manning has been designated as an appropriate subject for both Maximum Security and Prevention of Injury (POI) detention. But he asserts that his administrative reports consistently describe him as a well-behaved prisoner who does not fit the requirements for Maximum Security detention. The Brig psychiatrist began recommending his removal from Prevention of Injury months ago. These claims have not been publicly contested. In an Orwellian twist, the spokesman for the brig commander refused to explain the forced nudity “because to discuss the details would be a violation of Manning’s privacy.”

The Administration has provided no evidence that Manning’s treatment reflects a concern for his own safety or that of other inmates. Unless and until it does so, there is only one reasonable inference: this pattern of degrading treatment aims either to deter future whistleblowers, or to force Manning to implicate Wikileaks founder Julian Assange in a conspiracy, or both.

If Manning is guilty of a crime, let him be tried, convicted, and punished according to law. But his treatment must be consistent with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. There is no excuse for his degrading and inhumane pre-trial punishment. As the State Department’s PJ Crowly put it recently, they are “counterproductive and stupid.” And yet Crowley has now been forced to resign for speaking the plain truth.

The Wikileaks disclosures have touched every corner of the world. Now the whole world watches America and observes what it does; not what it says.

President Obama was once a professor of constitutional law, and entered the national stage as an eloquent moral leader. The question now, however, is whether his conduct as Commander in Chief meets fundamental standards of decency. He should not merely assert that Manning’s confinement is “appropriate and meet our basic standards,” as he did recently. He should require the Pentagon publicly to document the grounds for its extraordinary actions --and immediately end those which cannot withstand the light of day.
Signed:

Bruce Ackerman, Yale Law School
Yochai Benkler, Harvard Law School

Additional Signatories (institutional affiliation, for identification purposes only):
Jack Balkin, Yale Law School
Richard L. Abel, UCLA Law
David Abrams, Harvard Law School
Martha Ackelsberg, Smith College
Julia Adams, Sociology, Yale University
Kirsten Ainley, London School of Economics
Jeffrey Alexander, Yale University
Philip Alston, NYU School of Law
Anne Alstott, Harvard Law School
Elizabeth Anderson, Philosophy and Women's Studies, University of Michigan
Kevin Anderson, University of California
Scott Anderson, Philosophy, University of British Columbia
Claudia Angelos, NYU School of Law
Donald K. Anton. Australian National University College of Law
Joyce Appleby, History, UCLA
Kwame Anthony Appiah, Princeton University
Stanley Aronowitz, Sociology, CUNY Graduate Center
Jean Maria Arrigo, PhD, social psychologist, Project on Ethics and Art in Testimony
Reuven Avi-Yonah, University of Michigan Law
H. Robert Baker, Georgia State University
Katherine Beckett, University of Washington
Duncan Bell, Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge
Steve Berenson, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Michael Bertrand, UNC Chapel Hill
Christoph Bezemek, Public Law, Vienna University of Economics and Business
Michael J. Bosia, Political Science, Saint Michael's College
Bret Boyce, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
Rebecca M. Bratspies, CUNY School of Law
Jason Brennan, Philosophy, Brown University
Talbot Brewer, Philosophy, University of Virginia
John Bronsteen, Loyola University Chicago
Peter Brooks, Princeton University
James Robert Brown, University of Toronto
Sande L. Buhai,Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
Ahmed I Bulbulia, Seton Hall Law School
Susannah Camic, University of Wisconsin Law School
Lauren Carasik, Western New England College School of Law
Teri L. Caraway, University of Minnesota
Alexander M. Capron, University of Southern California, Gould School of Law
Michael W. Carroll, Law American University
Marshall Carter-Tripp, Ph.D, Foreign Service Officer, retired
Jonathan Chausovsky, Political Science, SUNY-Fredonia
Carol Chomsky, University of Minnesota Law School
John Clippinger, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Andrew Jason Cohen, Georgia State University
Lizabeth Cohen, Harvard University
Marjorie Cohn, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Doug Colbert, Maryland School of Law
Sheila Collins, William Paterson University
Nancy Combs, William& Mary Law School
Stephen A. Conrad, Indiana University Mauer School of Law
Steve Cook, Philosophy, Utica College
Robert Crawford,Arts and Sciences, University of Washington
Thomas P. Crocker, University of South Carolina
Jennifer Curtin, UCI School of Medicine
Deryl D. Dantzler, Walter F. Gorge School of Law of Mercer University
Benjamin G. Davis, University of Toledo College of Law
Rochelle Davis, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
Wolfgang Deckers, Richmond University, London
Michelle M. Dempsey, Villanova University School of Law
Wai Chee Dimock, English, Yale University
Sinan Dogramaci, Philosophy, University of Texas at Austin
Zayd Dohrn, Northwestern University
Jason P. Dominguez, Texas Southern University
Judith Donath, Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Norman Dorsen, New York University School of Law
Michael W. Doyle, International Affairs, Law and Political Science, Columbia
Bruce T. Draine, Astrophysics, Princeton University
Jay Driskell,History, Hood College
Michael C. Duff, University of Wyoming College of Law
Lisa Duggan, Social and Cultural Analysis, NYU
Cynthia Fuchs Epstein, Graduate Center,CUNY
Stephen M. Engel, PhD, Political Science, Marquette University
Simon Evnine, Philosophy, University of Miami
Mark Fenster, Levin College of Law, University of Florida
Martha Field, Harvard Law School
Justin Fisher, Philosophy, Southern Methodist University
William Fisher, Harvard Law School
Joseph Fishkin, University of Texas School of Law
Mark Fishman, Sociology, Brooklyn College
Martin S. Flaherty, Fordham Law School
George P. Fletcher, Columbia University, School of Law
John Flood, Law and Sociology, University of Westminster
Michael Forman, University of Washington Tacoma
Bryan Frances, Philosophy, Fordham University
Katherine Franke, Columbia Law School
Nancy Fraser, Philosophy and Politics, New School for Social Research
Eric M. Freedman, Hofstra Law School
Monroe H. Freedman, Hofstra University Law School
Kennan Ferguson, University of Wisconsin, MilWaukee
John R. Fitzpatrick, Philosophy, University of Tennessee/Chattanooga
A. Michael Froomkin, University of Miami School of Law
Gerald Frug, Harvard Law School
Louis Furmanski, University of Central Oklahoma
James K. Galbraith, LBJ School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin
Herbert J Gans, Columbia University
William Gardner, Pediatrics, Psychology,& Psychiatry, The Ohio State University
Urs Gasser, Harvard Law School, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Julius G. Getman, University of Texas Law School
Todd Gitlin, Columbia University
Bob Goodin, Australian National University
Angelina Snodgrass Godoy, Human Rights, University of Washington
David Golove, NYU School of Law
James R. Goetsch Jr., Philosophy, Eckerd College
Thomas Gokey, Art and Information Studies, Syracuse University
Robert W. Gordon, Yale Law School
Stephen E. Gottlieb, Albany Law School
Mark A. Graber, University of Maryland School of Law
Jorie Graham, Harvard University
Roger Green, Pol. Sci. and Pub. Admin., Florida Gulf Coast
Daniel JH Greenwood, Hofstra University School of Law
Christopher L. Griffin, Visiting, Duke Law School
James Grimmelmann, New York Law School
James Gronquist,Charlotte School of Law
Jean Grossholtz, Politics, Mount Holyoke College
Lisa Guenther, Philosophy, Vanderbilt University
Christopher Guzelian, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Gillian K. Hadfield, Law, Economics, University of Southern California
Jonathan Hafetz, Seton Hall University School of Law
Lisa Hajjar, University of California - Santa Barbara
Susan Hazeldean, Robert M. Cover Fellow, Yale Law School
Dirk t. D. Held, Classics, Connecticut College
Kevin Jon Heller, Melbourne Law School
Lynne Henderson, UNLV--Boyd School of Law (emerita)
Stephen Hetherington, Philosophy, University of New South Wales
Kurt Hochenauer, University of Central Oklahoma
Lonny Hoffman, Univ of Houston Law Center
Michael Hopkins, MHC International Ltd
Nathan Robert Howard, St. Andrews
Marc Morjé Howard, Government, Georgetown University
Kyron Huigens, Cardozo School of Law
Alexandra Huneeus, University of Wisconsin Law School
David Ingram, Philosophy, Loyola University Chicago
David Isenberg, Isen.com
Sheila Jasanoff, Harvard Kennedy School
Christopher Jencks, Harvard Kennedy School
Paula Johnson, Alliant International University
Robert N. Johnson, Philosophy, University of Missouri
Albyn C. Jones, Statistics, Reed College
Lynne Joyrich, Modern Culture and Media, Brown University
David Kairys, Beasley Law School
Eileen Kaufman, Touro Law Center
Kevin B. Kelly, Seton Hall University School of Law
Antti Kauppinen, Philosophy, Trinity College Dublin
Randall Kennedy, Harvard Law School
Daniel Kevles, Yale University
Heidi Kitrosser, University of Minnesota Law School
Gillian R. Knapp, Princeton University
Seth F. Kreimer University of Pennsylvania Law School
Alex Kreit, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Stefan H. Krieger, Hofstra University School of Law
Mitchell Lasser, Cornell Law School
Mark LeBar, Philosophy, Ohio University
Brian Leiter, University of Chicago
Mary Clare Lennon, Sociology, The Graduate Center, CUNY
George Levine,Rutgers University
Sanford Levinson, University of Texas Law School
Margaret Levi, Pol. Sci., University of Washington and University of Sydney
Tracy Lightcap, Political Science, LaGrange College
Daniel Lipson, Political Science, SUNY New Paltz
Stacy Litz, Drexel University
Fiona de Londras, University College Dublin, Ireland
John Lunstroth, University of Houston Law Center
David Luban, Georgetown University Law Center
Peter Ludlow, Philosophy, Northwestern University
Cecelia Lynch, University of California
David Lyons, Boston University
Colin Maclay, Harvard University, Berkman Center
Joan Mahoney, Emeritus, Wayne State University Law School
Chibli Mallat, Visiting Professor, Harvard Law School
Phil Malone, Harvard Law School
Jane Mansbridge, Harvard Kennedy School
Jeff Manza, Sociology, New York University
Dan Markel, Florida State University
Daniel Markovits, Yale Law School
Richard Markovits, University of Texas Law School
Michael R. Masinter, Nova Southeastern University
Ruth Mason, University of Connecticut School of Law
Rachel A. May, University of South Florida
Jamie Mayerfeld, Political Science, University of Washington
Diane H. Mazur, University of Florida Levin College of Law
Jason Mazzone, Brooklyn Law School
Jeff McMahan, Philosophy, Rutgers University
Richard J. Meagher Jr., Randolph-Macon College
Agustín José Menéndez, Universidad de León and University of Oslo
Hope Metcalf, Yale Law School
Frank I. Michelman, Harvard University
Gary Minda, Brooklyn Law School
John Mikhail, Georgetown University Law Center
Gregg Miller, Political Science, University of Washington
Eben Moglen, Columbia Law School and Software Freedom Law Center
Immanuel Ness, Brooklyn College, City University of New York
Charles Nesson, Harvard University
Joel Ngugi, Law, African Studies, University of Washington
Ralitza Nikolaeva, ISCTE Business School, Lisbon University Institute
John Palfrey, Harvard Law School
James Paradis, Comparative Media Studies, MIT
Emma Perry, London School of Economics and Political Science
Charles Pigden, University of Otago
Adrian du Plessis, Wolfson College, Cambridge University
Patrick S. O'Donnell, Philosophy, Santa Barbara City College
Hans Oberdiek, Philosophy, Swarthmore College
Duane Oldfield, Political Science, Knox College
Michael Paris, Political Science, The College of Staten Island (CUNY)
Philip Pettit, University Professor of Politics and Human Values, Princeton
Frank A. Pasquale, Seton Hall Law School
Matthew Pierce, University of North Carolina
Charles Pigden, Philosophy, University of Otago
Leslie Plachta, MD MPH, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Thomas Pogge, Yale University
Giovanna Pompele, University of Miami
Joel Pust, Philosophy, University of Delaware
Ulrich K. Preuss, Law& Politics, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin
Margaret Jane Radin, University of Michigan and emerita, Stanford University
Aziz Rana, Cornell University Law School
Gustav Ranis, Yale University
Rahul Rao, School of Oriental& African Studies, University of London
Calair Rasmussen, Affiliation: Political Science, University of Delaware
Daniel Ray, Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Jeff A. Redding, Saint Louis University School of Law
C. D. C. Reeve, Philosophy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Bryan Register, Philosophy, Texas State University
Robert B. Reich, University of California, Berkeley
Cassandra Burke Robertson, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
John A. Robertson, University of Texas Law School
Corey Robin, Brooklyn College and the CUNY Graduate Center
Clarissa Rojas, CSU Long Beach
Kermit Roosevelt, University of Pennsylvania Law School
Susan Rose-Ackerman, Law, Political Science, Yale University
Norm Rosenberg, History, Macalester College
Clifford Rosky, University of Utah
Brad R. Roth, Poli. Sci. and Law, Wayne State University
Barbara Katz Rothman, Sociology, City University of New York
Bo Rothstein Political Science, University of Gothenburg
Laura L. Rovner,University of Denver College of Law
Donald Rutherford,Philosophy, University of California, San Diego
Leonard Rubenstein, JD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Chester M. Rzadkiewicz, History, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
DeWitt Sage, Flimmaker
Cindy Skach, Comparative Government and Law, Oxford
William J. Talbott, Philosophy, University of Washington
Natsu Taylor Saito, Georgia State University College of Law
Dean Savage, Queens College, Sociology, CUNY
Kent D. Schenkel, New England Law
Kim Scheppele, Princeton Univeristy
Ben Schoenbachler, Psychiatry, University of Louisville
Jeffrey Schnapp, Harvard University
Kenneth Sherrill, Political Science, Hunter College
Claire Snyder-Hall, George Mason University
Jeffrey Selbin, Yale Law School
Wendy Seltzer, Fellow, Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy
Jose M. Sentmanat, Philosophy, Moreno Valley College, California
Omnia El Shakry, History, University of California
Scott Shapiro, Yale University
Stephen Sheehi, Languages, Lit. and Cultures, University of South Carolina
James Silk, Yale Law School
Robert D. Sloane, Boston University School of Law
Ronald C. Slye, Law, Seattle University
Matthew Noah Smith, Philosophy, Yale University
Stephen Samuel Smith, Political Science, Winthrop University
John M. Stewart, Emeritus, Psychology, Northland College
Peter G. Stillman, Vassar College
Alec Stone Sweet, Yale Law School
Robert N. Strassfeld, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Mateo Taussig-Rubbo, SUNY-Buffalo Law School
Jeanne Theoharis, Brooklyn College of CUNY
Frank Thompson, University of Michigan
Matthew Titolo, West Virginia University College of Law
Massimo de la Torre, University of Hull Law School
John Torpey, CUNY Graduate Center
Vilna Bashi Treitler, Black& Hispanic Studies, Baruch College, City
Laurence H. Tribe, Harvard University
David M. Trubek, University of Wisconsin (emeritus)
Robert L. Tsai, American University, Washington College of Law
Peter Vallentyne, Philosophy, University of Missouri
Joan Vogel, Vermont Law School
Paul Voice, Philosophy, Bennington College
Victor Wallis,Berklee College of Music
David Watkins, Political Science, University of Dayton
Jonathan Weinberg, Wayne State University
Henry Weinstein, Law, Literary Journalism, University of California
Margaret Weir, Political Science,University of California, Berkeley
Christina E. Wells, University of Missouri School of Law
Danielle Wenner, Rice University
Bryan H. Wildenthal, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Langdon Winner,Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Naomi Wolf, author
Lauris Wren, Hofstra Law School
Elizabeth Wurtzel, Attorney and author
Betty Yorburg, Emerita, City University of New York
Benjamin S. Yost, Philosophy, Providence College
Jonathan Zasloff, UCLA School of Law
Michael J. Zimmer, Professor of Law, Loyola University Chicago
Lee Zimmerman, English, Hofstra University
Mary Marsh Zulack, Columbia Law School
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Fun fact:
The Stasi in East Germany treated their political prisoners in exactly the same manner as the USA treats Manning.
Solitary confinement, sleep deprivation, dehumanization and no one to talk to except interrogators. They actually found it to be more efficient than physical torture, with the added benefit that it is easily deniable.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Grumman wrote:
Like who? Last time I checked, there didn't appear to be a single example that anyone could point to.
I personally don't buy that assertion. It is very much a macro effect that releasing that much information would cause with long term repurcussions. How has the material release influenced the events since? I seem to recall many Manning supporters trying to give him at least partial credit for the "Arab Spring" movement. You also have to take into account the fact that the information leaked was classified, and thus much of the harm caused would also be classified. And you can roll your eyes at that statement all you like.

In any event, I was being facetious not levying a murder charge. Even if by some miracle no harm actually was caused by the leak it would have been simply dumb luck because there is no indication that Manning made any effort to control what was and was not released. He grabbed what he could and dumped it to wikileaks to sort out.
I'm sure that's going to work when your ex-wife thinks you're a traitor, and can excuse pretty much anything done to wake you up and "make sure you're okay" as being for your own good.
No, she made no attempt to say it was for my "own good".
Have you been living under a rock for the past ten years? Did you miss this whole "indefinite detention without trial" thing?
Past 10 years? He was arrested in 2010. And has had legal proceedings occur several times since then, including a trial at the end of February.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Terralthra wrote:
That would be no one.
The Guardian wrote:The US army intelligence analyst suspected of giving classified material to WikiLeaks says a White House review has concluded that the alleged leaks did no real damage to national security.

*SNIP*.
Says Manning's lawyer... I addressed this in my previous post.
TheHammer wrote: It would be aggravating for sure. I have first hand experience with this actually with my ex wife when we fought, which was fairly constant for YEARS. I got very good at shutting out the noise and the shaking and sleeping through it anyway lol.
Yes I understood that. My statement stands. Perhaps I TOO was tortured :shock:
TheHammer wrote: Care to cite anything? At worst, it makes certain elements of the U.S. government hypocritical I suppose, but quite frankly I'd never consider any of the treatment cited to be "torture". Should it have been happening? Some of it certainly shouldn't have, but its pretty tame in the grand scheme of things. Hardly worthy of the special attention it has been given...
A Statement on Private Manning's Detention wrote:Bradley Manning is the soldier charged with leaking U.S. government documents to Wikileaks.

He is currently detained under degrading and inhumane conditions that are illegal and immoral.

*SNIP*
I'm not arguing the legality of it, nor am I saying any of it should have happened. I'm simply saying its not what I think of when someone says "torture" and that I don't think it deserves the attention that it has gotten. I'd dare say many prisoners in prisons all across the the U.S. and Europe endure far worse, yet they don't have 300 law professors making a big deal out of it. They don't have the UN rapporteur officially condeming them. I realize that Manning is the cause de celebre, but lets get real...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

TheHammer wrote:
Terralthra wrote:
That would be no one.

*SNIP*.
What? Did you even read the stuff there?

Manning's lawyer has nothing to do with that statement. The White House and Dept of Defence have both come out separately saying that there have been zero casualties as a result of the leaks.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TheHammer wrote:You also have to take into account the fact that the information leaked was classified, and thus much of the harm caused would also be classified. And you can roll your eyes at that statement all you like.
I will, thanks. This "mumble mumble State Secrets" bullshit does not fly with me. If you want me to believe that the US government's enemies have done something wrong, I need more than their word - little things like murdering good samaritans with airstrikes and throwing the 1917 Espionage Act at whistleblowers tend to detract from their credibility.
No, she made no attempt to say it was for my "own good".
Which was kind of my point. Your comment about your ex-wife is the same sort of laughable nonsense people were saying about waterboarding. I highly doubt she was literally attempting to drive you insane or brainwash you into doing what she wanted, under the cover of plausible deniability.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thanas, would you please provide a link? I'd like to know what the source for this is.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Just a note about the "it's classified"

Everything in the military has a classification, your fucking service number is classified. Just because it's classified doesn't mean it's actually important.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

TheHammer wrote:
Terralthra wrote:That would be no one.

*SNIP*.
Important point your eyes apparently skipped over bolded. The Secretary of Defense is also on record confirming no tangible harm as a result of the leaks.
TheHammer wrote:
Terralthra wrote:
TheHammer wrote:It would be aggravating for sure. I have first hand experience with this actually with my ex wife when we fought, which was fairly constant for YEARS. I got very good at shutting out the noise and the shaking and sleeping through it anyway lol.
Yes I understood that. My statement stands. Perhaps I TOO was tortured :shock:
The fact that you also had the option of, you know, leaving might maybe have an effect, perhaps?
TheHammer wrote:
Terralthra wrote:
TheHammer wrote:Care to cite anything? At worst, it makes certain elements of the U.S. government hypocritical I suppose, but quite frankly I'd never consider any of the treatment cited to be "torture". Should it have been happening? Some of it certainly shouldn't have, but its pretty tame in the grand scheme of things. Hardly worthy of the special attention it has been given...

*SNIP*
I'm not arguing the legality of it, nor am I saying any of it should have happened. I'm simply saying its not what I think of when someone says "torture" and that I don't think it deserves the attention that it has gotten.
That it's not "what you think of when someone says 'torture'" is hardly relevant to whether it actually is. I could say that being tied up and flogged doesn't sound like torture to me, but that doesn't make my opinion true. Sleep deprivation is torture. Extended solitary confinement is torture.
The Hammer wrote:I'd dare say many prisoners in prisons all across the the U.S. and Europe endure far worse, yet they don't have 300 law professors making a big deal out of it. They don't have the UN rapporteur officially condeming them. I realize that Manning is the cause de celebre, but lets get real...
Funny you should mention that...the ACLU has condemned the use of solitary confinement as practiced in US prisons (and we are, by the way, the only developed nation that uses it as a routine procedure in imprisonment). The UN agrees and condemns the practice. We even had a thread on this forum about the prison conditions in this country, their psychological effects (widely considered torturous), and many human rights organizations condemning them.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

weemadando wrote: What? Did you even read the stuff there?

Manning's lawyer has nothing to do with that statement. The White House and Dept of Defence have both come out separately saying that there have been zero casualties as a result of the leaks.
I read the article linked. I think many of you have been decieved about that it actually says based on how it was written, which I found to be misleading myself. So I'm going to break it down:

First the title:
Bradley Manning lawyer: White House review found 'leak' did no real damageManning's defence team says White House inquest concluded that WikiLeaks documents had no impact on national security
Manning's lawyer insists that a report exists that says "no harm done". However it is unsourced. Has anyone actually seen this report? If so, please link it. The only thing Google turned up when searching "whitehouse review manning leak"
was this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... 0.9.4l13l0

A bunch of hits from Manning's lawyers statement.

Later in the article itself
The US army intelligence analyst suspected of giving classified material to WikiLeaks says a White House review has concluded that the alleged leaks did no real damage to national security.

Bradley Manning's defence attorney made the claim in a court filing he released publicly on Monday.
Again, unsourced claims from Manning.

And later:
The filing also claims a defence department review found that all the information allegedly leaked was either dated, represented low-level opinions, or was already known because of previous public disclosures.

Manning is seeking the reports to aid in his defence.
Now, from the way it was written you'd think Manning's lawyer had in hand two independent official government reports saying that "Manning didn't cause ANY harm to anybody". If that were the case, why then would they be seeking these reports? It strikes me as bullshit. You float the idea that there are secret government reports that to a degree helps your case, BUT the EVIL GOVERNMENT just wont cough them up. If ONLY there were a brave soul still in the military to leak these documents!

Until I actually SEE the report for myself, or SEE testimony given under oath about what is in it I'm not fucking buying it just because Manning's lawer tells me they exist.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I'm not arguing the legality of it, nor am I saying any of it should have happened. I'm simply saying its not what I think of when someone says "torture" and that I don't think it deserves the attention that it has gotten. I'd dare say many prisoners in prisons all across the the U.S. and Europe endure far worse, yet they don't have 300 law professors making a big deal out of it. They don't have the UN rapporteur officially condeming them. I realize that Manning is the cause de celebre, but lets get real...
God I've heard this so fucking often it's about to drive me mad. Your personal opinion on what is and what isn't torture is worth less than packed dog shit.I'm tired of privileged little idiots like Elizabeth Hasselbeck (and apparently you) throwing this statement around with absolutely no backup. Just because something is inconveniently against your party line doesn't make it untrue. If you had cited studies showing that it wasn't considered torture by scientists and psychologist with evidence it would be another issue all together. But the idea that one man's suffering doesn't count because you have a view in your head about what torture is and refuse to change it is nonsense.

Your second point is just as idiotic. So if many people are getting tortured and one is a bigger story that automatically invalidates the argument? What? Manning's case is of special interest because he was a whistleblower and was apparently trying to encourage transparency, something lacking right now. Yes, more people will care about that simply because his case is more visible, it's the way of the world. It doesn't make anything going on elsewhere less horrific, but nor does it mean that Manning should just quit whining and take his lumps.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Also, the forced nudity is actually kind of a big deal, Hammer. It's not really something you get over in a couple of days if it's not a voluntary choice. It's a right they have stolen from you, and a humiliating, degrading thing that stretches on into perpetuity.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

It's also pretty pointless other then to fuck with him. He's in solitary, what are they worried he'll be hiding?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Thanas, would you please provide a link? I'd like to know what the source for this is.
http://www.salon.com/2012/03/07/un_top_ ... singleton/ , with added links via AP.

TheHammer wrote: I read the article linked. I think many of you have been decieved about that it actually says based on how it was written, which I found to be misleading myself. So I'm going to break it down:

First the title:
Bradley Manning lawyer: White House review found 'leak' did no real damageManning's defence team says White House inquest concluded that WikiLeaks documents had no impact on national security
Manning's lawyer insists that a report exists that says "no harm done". However it is unsourced. Has anyone actually seen this report? If so, please link it.
This is not how this works, numbnuts. You made the positive claim, so you better provide evidence people got hurt from the release of material.
------------
------------
My LPs
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Thanas wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Thanas, would you please provide a link? I'd like to know what the source for this is.
http://www.salon.com/2012/03/07/un_top_ ... singleton/ , with added links via AP.

TheHammer wrote: I read the article linked. I think many of you have been decieved about that it actually says based on how it was written, which I found to be misleading myself. So I'm going to break it down:

First the title:
Manning's lawyer insists that a report exists that says "no harm done". However it is unsourced. Has anyone actually seen this report? If so, please link it.
This is not how this works, numbnuts. You made the positive claim, so you better provide evidence people got hurt from the release of material.
Incorrect. I did not make a positive claim. If you read the actual statement, you'll notice that it was made within the context of being "Manning's shoes" in prison. In that context I'd suspect that given the sheer volume of material I'd released that some people would come to harm from it. Being in the shoes of Manning who has no fucking idea what exactly he released, I'd be forced to speculate which is what I did.

Further, if the credit that so many are ascribing to manning's leak for being a key influence in the "Arab Spring", then the leak is also equally responsible for the many people hurt and killed during those uprisings whether you consider them to be a long term good or not.

Now, on the primary point I was trying to make:

What I'm challenging is that there are two reports out there - one from the whitehouse and one from the DoD which supposedly say that Manning's leaks caused no harm, and that the material wasn't that important. However no one has produced these supposed reports. The only person who says they exist and what is in them are Manning's lawyer who is seeking these documents. If he's still seeking these documents, how could he know what information they actually contain if they even exist at all?
Aaron MkII wrote:It's also pretty pointless other then to fuck with him. He's in solitary, what are they worried he'll be hiding?
loomer wrote:Also, the forced nudity is actually kind of a big deal, Hammer. It's not really something you get over in a couple of days if it's not a voluntary choice. It's a right they have stolen from you, and a humiliating, degrading thing that stretches on into perpetuity.
To be clear, I'm not saying he should have been mistreated in any way. But I suspect the truth of his treatment is somewhere between the worst extremities that his lawyer is harping on, and the "treated as any other prisoner" as prison officials claim. And I'm absolutely sure what's being done is to "fuck with him" in some manner. But I also think that just about anyone who is incarcerated would tend to be "fucked with" in one way or another.
Scrib wrote:
God I've heard this so fucking often it's about to drive me mad. Your personal opinion on what is and what isn't torture is worth less than packed dog shit.I'm tired of privileged little idiots like Elizabeth Hasselbeck (and apparently you) throwing this statement around with absolutely no backup. Just because something is inconveniently against your party line doesn't make it untrue. If you had cited studies showing that it wasn't considered torture by scientists and psychologist with evidence it would be another issue all together. But the idea that one man's suffering doesn't count because you have a view in your head about what torture is and refuse to change it is nonsense.

Your second point is just as idiotic. So if many people are getting tortured and one is a bigger story that automatically invalidates the argument? What? Manning's case is of special interest because he was a whistleblower and was apparently trying to encourage transparency, something lacking right now. Yes, more people will care about that simply because his case is more visible, it's the way of the world. It doesn't make anything going on elsewhere less horrific, but nor does it mean that Manning should just quit whining and take his lumps.
The point I was making dipshit is that when you say the word "torture" to your average person they are thinking of cutting, burning, pulling out finger nails, waterboarding etc. I think a distinction should be drawn between that and things such as sleep disruption and strip searches. The definition of torture as listed here states that torture is an intent to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering. I personally don't find the word "severe" applicable in this case because as I noted prisoners in prisons all across the U.S. and Europe endure much worse on a regular basis and thus its not truly worthy of special attention.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

TheHammer wrote:Incorrect. I did not make a positive claim. If you read the actual statement, you'll notice that it was made within the context of being "Manning's shoes" in prison. In that context I'd suspect that given the sheer volume of material I'd released that some people would come to harm from it. Being in the shoes of Manning who has no fucking idea what exactly he released, I'd be forced to speculate which is what I did.
Yeah yeah. How about you come up with any positive proof linking Manning to any harm done? Or will you admit that you were just caught without any backup to your argument whatsoever?

But I suspect the truth of his treatment is somewhere between the worst extremities that his lawyer is harping on, and the "treated as any other prisoner" as prison officials claim. And I'm absolutely sure what's being done is to "fuck with him" in some manner. But I also think that just about anyone who is incarcerated would tend to be "fucked with" in one way or another.
Ah yes, the mindless middle argument based on nothing but....your gut. Unless you can produce proof, your opinion is worth jack in contrast to several well documented reports about how he was treated. Or is the UN rapporteur suddenly lying?
The point I was making dipshit is that when you say the word "torture" to your average person they are thinking of cutting, burning, pulling out finger nails, waterboarding etc. I think a distinction should be drawn between that and things such as sleep disruption and strip searches. The definition of torture as listed here states that torture is an intent to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering.
Newsflash: manning's situation certainly applies here, given these same techniques were used by forces like the Stasi and were regarded by them as torture. Furthermore, sleep deprivation is a pretty common torture technique as well.
I personally don't find the word "severe" applicable in this case because as I noted prisoners in prisons all across the U.S. and Europe endure much worse on a regular basis and thus its not truly worthy of special attention.
Prisoners in Europe? Interesting. Source?
------------
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

TheHammer wrote:The point I was making dipshit is that when you say the word "torture" to your average person they are thinking of cutting, burning, pulling out finger nails, waterboarding etc. I think a distinction should be drawn between that and things such as sleep disruption and strip searches. The definition of torture as listed here states that torture is an intent to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering. I personally don't find the word "severe" applicable in this case because as I noted prisoners in prisons all across the U.S. and Europe endure much worse on a regular basis and thus its not truly worthy of special attention.
Way to ignore what I posted on exactly this topic.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Thanas wrote:
TheHammer wrote:Incorrect. I did not make a positive claim. If you read the actual statement, you'll notice that it was made within the context of being "Manning's shoes" in prison. In that context I'd suspect that given the sheer volume of material I'd released that some people would come to harm from it. Being in the shoes of Manning who has no fucking idea what exactly he released, I'd be forced to speculate which is what I did.
Yeah yeah. How about you come up with any positive proof linking Manning to any harm done? Or will you admit that you were just caught without any backup to your argument whatsoever?
I have no "positive proof" that you will deem "beyond a reasonable doubt" because you are already convinced I'm wrong. As I noted, if you believe as many do that Manning's leaks sparked the Arab spring movements, among other things then he's got to accept the blame for the deaths as much as the credit for the "movement".
But I suspect the truth of his treatment is somewhere between the worst extremities that his lawyer is harping on, and the "treated as any other prisoner" as prison officials claim. And I'm absolutely sure what's being done is to "fuck with him" in some manner. But I also think that just about anyone who is incarcerated would tend to be "fucked with" in one way or another.
Ah yes, the mindless middle argument based on nothing but....your gut. Unless you can produce proof, your opinion is worth jack in contrast to several well documented reports about how he was treated. Or is the UN rapporteur suddenly lying?
Never said he was lying, just saying that the truth as it often does lies in the middle of two sides of the argument - namely Manning's Lawyer and The U.S military.

In the article you printed, the UN rapporteur specifically cited ONLY the solitary confinement in his report.
The point I was making dipshit is that when you say the word "torture" to your average person they are thinking of cutting, burning, pulling out finger nails, waterboarding etc. I think a distinction should be drawn between that and things such as sleep disruption and strip searches. The definition of torture as listed here states that torture is an intent to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering.
Newsflash: manning's situation certainly applies here, given these same techniques were used by forces like the Stasi and were regarded by them as torture. Furthermore, sleep deprivation is a pretty common torture technique as well.
Sleep disruption and sleep deprivation aren't the same thing. He was allowed to sleep normal hours at night. Admittedly, he was awakened under certain circumstances:
The Guardian wrote: At night, he is awakened to be asked again "Are you OK?" every time he turns his back to the cell door or covers his head with a blanket so that the guards cannot see his face.

source http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... an-assange
However, describing that as sleep deprivation is a bit of an exageration.
I personally don't find the word "severe" applicable in this case because as I noted prisoners in prisons all across the U.S. and Europe endure much worse on a regular basis and thus its not truly worthy of special attention.
Prisoners in Europe? Interesting. Source?
COUNCIL OF EUROPE AGAIN SLAMS FRENCH PRISON CONDITIONS
Treatment of female prisoners criticised

I can google more if you like. And those links don't include the really nasty stuff that prisoners do to each other...