US/UK forces in Kuwait moving towards Iraqi border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Zoink, Have you read 1441 and the treaty after the gulf war..They demand that Iraq disarm... If the French did not want Iraq to disarm, why vote for 1441?
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

theski wrote:Zoink, Have you read 1441 and the treaty after the gulf war..They demand that Iraq disarm...
Yes I've read the entire Resolution 1441. It calls for Iraq to disarm. It calls for inspections to ensure Iraqi compliance. Material breaches are to be reported to the security council for assesment and action. This action isn't necessarily war. The US wanted a second resolution that specifically said breaches = war. That was the whole argument last week in the UN.

theski wrote: If the French did not want Iraq to disarm, why vote for 1441?
But the French want to disarm Iraq.

Where did France say:

"Iraq doesn't have to disarm"
"Iraq doesn't have weapons of mass destruction"

They NEVER said this. France's position was that inspection should be used to ensure compliance with UN resolution, and if necessary, as a tool to disarm Iraq. France's position was the same as those American's who wanted forced inspections.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Zoink, can you admit that there has been material breaches in 1441?? If so then, why block any action to enforce it..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

theski wrote:Zoink, can you admit that there has been material breaches in 1441??
There has never been argument as to material breaches. Blix stated Iraq was in material breach. France never disputed this. The dispute was how they should be dealt with.

Now that you've put me on the spot: Can you admitt that France never said "Saddam doesn't have WMD"? Since that was the issue I was addressing?

If so then, why block any action to enforce it..
The issue isn't black/white, yes/no, ying/yang, demo/repub, autobot/decepticon: there are in fact different ways other than war to deal with a situation. Being against war doesn't mean you are against action.

US: "Mr.Hussein the missiles you own are in breach of resolution 1441, now you die"

France: "Mr.Hussein, the missiles you own are a breach of resolution 1441, they must be destroyed"

Both options work towards disarmament. One is just slower than the other.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Zoink, I'll admit I could not find the French statement that I need to support my argument.. but I can't agree with the last statement. Sometimes and I will admit it should be virtually never you have to use the big stick! If after 12 years and 17 resolutions please give me a date. When will you use force..
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

France's opposition is not so much to support 1441 but to oppose US power. They are trying to lead a coalition of like minded nations to block growing US power and unilateralism. So far, they have done a WONDERFUL job. In one fell swoop they have marginalized themselves, made the security council and the UN in generla look impotent and have gotten us to do stupid things like Freedom Fries. Not to mentnion, once we start going alone, it starts becoming easier to do. I love France, they are the Corky of the world powers.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

France's opposition is not so much to support 1441 but to oppose US power. They are trying to lead a coalition of like minded nations to block growing US power and unilateralism. So far, they have done a WONDERFUL job. In one fell swoop they have marginalized themselves, made the security council and the UN in generla look impotent and have gotten us to do stupid things like Freedom Fries. Not to mentnion, once we start going alone, it starts becoming easier to do. I love France, they are the Corky of the world powers.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

theski wrote:Zoink, I'll admit I could not find the French statement that I need to support my argument.. but I can't agree with the last statement. Sometimes and I will admit it should be virtually never you have to use the big stick! If after 12 years and 17 resolutions please give me a date. When will you use force..
I don't base it on a date, I would base it on the threat from Saddam, and the ability of the inspectors to do their job.

I know that you, Bush, and a bunch of others think the "time has come for war".... I just wanted to make sure the French position was clear, as there is a lot of rhetoric floating around that anti-this-war people are somehow anti-disarmament or think Saddam is telling the truth.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Everything suggest ground forces will be moving at once, their Calvary screen might be crossing before the first cruise missiles hit. Seizing the southern oilfields before there blown is a big goal, but it only has a chance with an attack at once.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

theski wrote:Whats wrong E can't take a little sarcasm :roll:
Idiot. :roll:

Are you too stupid to realize that "speculation mounting" does not equal "attack will happen?"
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Hm ... Bush believes the Pope when he tells him that God said that cloning is wrong, yet ignores him when he says that God said that the war is a bad idea.

I think we've summed up the purpose of religion in the world with this little demonstration.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion