Olympia Snowe Retires

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Olympia Snowe Retires

Post by Maraxus »

WASHINGTON — Citing excessive partisanship and a dispiriting political environment, Senator Olympia J. Snowe, a three-term Republican from Maine, said Tuesday that she would not run for re-election in November. Her surprise decision delivered a potential blow to Republicans who need just a handful of seats to regain control of the Senate; Ms. Snowe was considered one of their safer incumbents.

“After 33 years in the Congress this was not an easy decision,” said Ms. Snowe, 65, a moderate who served 16 years in the House before moving to the Senate. “My husband and I are in good health. We have laid an exceptionally strong foundation for the campaign, and I have no doubt I would have won re-election.”

But in sharp comments citing the lack of comity in the current Congress as a motivating factor in her sudden retirement, Ms. Snowe, who spent a career voting against her Republican colleagues almost as often as with them, said she had had enough.

“I do find it frustrating,” she said, “that an atmosphere of polarization and ‘my way or the highway’ ideologies has become pervasive in campaigns and in our governing institutions.”

She added: “Unfortunately, I do not realistically expect the partisanship of recent years in the Senate to change over the short term. So at this stage of my tenure in public service, I have concluded that I am not prepared to commit myself to an additional six years in the Senate, which is what a fourth term would entail.”

Ms. Snowe cast key votes on bills that were dear to Democrats, including the economic stimulus measure and a law upending the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy governing gay men and lesbians in the military. She was facing a Tea Party-backed challenger, but her opponent had failed to gain much traction in a state where Ms. Snowe was popular and had the backing of the new Republican governor.

Despite her reputation for crossing the aisle, Ms. Snowe stood firm against the health care overhaul in 2009, even though she had worked closely with Democrats on the issue for years. She complained that party leaders were ramming the measure through without offering sufficient chance to consider changes, and the experience colored her relationship with top Democrats.

Democrats in Washington immediately and gleefully cast their gaze north Tuesday, where a Maine victory that seemed unthinkable just a few hours earlier suddenly seemed possible. Representative Chellie Pingree, a Democrat widely expected to jump into the race, said in a statement, “This upcoming election is critical to the future of our working families around the country, and in the coming days I will carefully consider how I can best serve the people of Maine.” The filing date for the Maine primary is March 15, leaving new contenders little time.

Republicans said they were ready for the challenge. Senator John Cornyn of Texas, the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, said in a statement: “While I would never underestimate the fight ahead in defending any open Senate seat, Republicans remain well positioned to win back a Senate majority in November.”

Maine has a quirky independent electoral flavor; it elected Paul R. LePage, a Tea Party-supported Republican, as governor in 2010 and has had two moderate Republican senators — Ms. Snowe and Susan Collins — for the last 15 years.

Ms. Snowe stands out in a body with relatively few women, her regal attire, tied-back hair and low and purposeful locution all signature trademarks. Over the years, she tussled with members of her own party, whom she often disappointed, and Democrats, with whom she just as often, and vehemently, disagreed.

As a longtime member of the Senate Finance Committee, Ms. Snowe frequently played a critical role in shaping tax legislation. In 2001, she helped trim President George W. Bush’s initial $1.7 trillion, 10-year tax cut to $1.35 trillion.

After the 2010 elections, it appeared that Ms. Snowe could face a serious challenge from the right, but that threat had begun to fizzle. Last week, Andrew Ian Dodge, a Maine Tea Party leader, dropped out of the Republican primary contest; Scott D’Amboise, a businessman, remains in that race, but so far he has shown little fund-raising strength.

Jonathan Weisman and Robert Pear contributed reporting.
Somewhat more important than the primary to day, IMO. Snowe was one of the last Republican "moderates," mostly by virtue of their ability to be somewhat serious about their duties. I find it interesting that Snowe was apparently running for re-election until under 24 hours ago. She was facing a teahadist challenge, but it wasn't going anywhere.

This does, however, make it slightly easier for the Dems to retain the Senate. They'll probably lose it anyway, but the Maine seat is going to be a hell of a target for them and one of their few pick up opportunities. And that means that the GOP will have to try just a little bit harder to win one of the other, less marginal, seats.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Olympia Snowe Retires

Post by Thanas »

It is sad to see moderates getting squeezed out.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

After the 2010 elections, it appeared that Ms. Snowe could face a serious challenge from the right, but that threat had begun to fizzle. Last week, Andrew Ian Dodge, a Maine Tea Party leader, dropped out of the Republican primary contest; Scott D’Amboise, a businessman, remains in that race, but so far he has shown little fund-raising strength.
Interesting. I wonder if she deliberately stayed in as long as she did purely to burn out her competition.
JADAFETWA
Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Post by Maraxus »

Interesting. I wonder if she deliberately stayed in as long as she did purely to burn out her competition.
I doubt it. Snowe was a team player through and through. That's why she resisted people who wanted her to switch to the Democrats. These guys, as the article says, were jokers. Neither of them posed a serious strength to Snowe, and they performed even more poorly in the general election. There'd be no reason to drop out now, especially since the Republicans probably won't be able to field a terribly exciting challenger. Snowe was the only way they were going to keep this seat without a fight.

Don't get me wrong, the Maine Dems could still seriously fuck this up (see, LePage, Paul), but it'll be a serious fight.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Fair enough, I just floated the idea given her quote regarding polarization and the note that one of her competitors was a Tea Partier, a typically hard-line group.
JADAFETWA
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Republicans are losing the moderate and centrist elements, quite naturally, since they're massively shifting to the right with the Tea Partiers and that sort of process has implications. I think we'll see more of it.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I wonder if this will alter her voting patterns in the last few months of her term? I seem to recall Senator Snowe toeing the Republican line a little more faithfully in recent years so Democrats could pick up her vote a bit more then usual for a little while. But its almost sad to see one of the last New England Republicans disappear.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:It is sad to see moderates getting squeezed out.
She was just another corporatist whore. Hopefully she'll be replaced by a democrat corporatist whore.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I would like to see some evidence that she accepted money in exchange for services, Flagg.
XXXI
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Phantasee wrote:I would like to see some evidence that she accepted money in exchange for services, Flagg.
No trolling. Trolling bad.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Phantasee wrote:I would like to see some evidence that she accepted money in exchange for services, Flagg.
She received over $700k from Wall Street during her campaign in 2006, then voted for the bailout.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
She received over $700k from Wall Street during her campaign in 2006, then voted for the bailout.
Ignore him, he's just making reference to that thread where I pointed out how retarded people who believe in the devil are and posturing idiots started demanding proof based on clinical definitions.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Flagg, how about you stop shitposting and try to make your point?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

My point is that it's more likely a corporate whore democrat who will vote along party lines takes her place over a rabid teabagger. Which is desirable compared to the alternative.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Maraxus
Padawan Learner

Post by Maraxus »

Chellie Pingree is actually somewhat progressive on most issues. She'll have trouble in the primary since she's one of the unloved Portland-area Dems, but she'd be a good vote for progressive causes in the Senate.

The problem with Senate Dems, IMO, is that the caucus as a whole isn't well suited for teamwork. It has a sizable progressive group of Senators like Boxer, Sanders, and Harkin all trying to push the median Dem vote to the left, while the prima donna conservadems like Lieberman, Conrad, and Ben Nelson feel like they can score political points back home by stabbing their fellow Dems in the back. There's no consensus within the Dem caucus, and even if there was Harry Reid has neither the temperament nor will to enforce party discipline.

Fortunately, I think the Senate Dems will move somewhat to the left after 2012, win or lose. The most annoying turds are either retiring or have retired/been defeated, leaving only Baucus as the lone bipartisanship fetishist. More importantly, the Dems look pretty poised to elect a couple of really progressive women to the Senate, especially in Mass. and Wisconsin. Hopefully their victories will not only let the Dems keep the Senate, but also do more than just quietly kill whatever the House passes.