illustrating hardship in Greece

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Skgoa
Jedi Master

illustrating hardship in Greece

Post by Skgoa »

Found this on Facebook. IMHO it illustrates very well why crying for even more austerity and extracting wealth from the greek populace is futile at best.
- minimum wage
- litre of gas
- heating oil
- a very common pastry

I remember back in 1999 you could get a great meal for what would have exchanged to a couple of euro...
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Re: illustrating hardship in Greece

Post by Colonel Olrik »

I don't think that's right. Feel free to correct me, but my info from various sources has been that the current minimum salary in Greece is 751 eur, with the troika demanding a cut of 22%, down to 586. In comparison, the minimum wage in Portugal is 485 eur, and in Spain 641 eur. No clue about the price of the other things, but 1.5 eur for a pastry is normal in Portugal.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, let us not forget that the Greek minimum wage is paid 14 times, whereas the portugese one is paid 12 times a year.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Colonel Olrik wrote:I don't think that's right. Feel free to correct me, but my info from various sources has been that the current minimum salary in Greece is 751 eur, with the troika demanding a cut of 22%, down to 586. In comparison, the minimum wage in Portugal is 485 eur, and in Spain 641 eur. No clue about the price of the other things, but 1.5 eur for a pastry is normal in Portugal.
And? To use a rather extreme example, in North America, the minimum wage (and the cost of living) in the United States is much, much higher than in Mexico; even though Greece and Portugal are in the Eurozone, that doesn't necessarily mean that the costs of living are going to be even near identical.

For instance, if Numbeo.com is accurate, we can compare Greece and Portugal fairly easily.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... y=Portugal
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... try=Greece

Now, for most things, they are fairly similar (only a €0.10 difference between gas prices; pack of cigarettes is nearly identical; as is internet), and while rent is cheaper in Greece, the cost per square meter of an apartment is significantly cheaper in Portugal (cost of a 90 square meter apartment in the city center in Portugal versus Greece: €142,190 vs €181,880, respectively), so that should kind of balance things out.

However, there are some large differences, with the numbers generally favoring Portugal. Average monthly utilities are about €30 higher in Greece, while average food prices in general are much higher in Greece (€1.21 in Greece vs. €0.65 in Portugal for a liter of milk; €3.27 in Greece vs. €1.68 in Portugal for a dozen eggs; €7.44 in Greece vs. €5.61 in Portugal per kilogram of boneless, skinless chicken breast; €6.16 in Greece vs. €3.72 in Portugal for a mid-range bottle of wine). Food and utility prices are a real killer, as that €30 utility difference a month for 12 months equals €360, and food costs can be enormous; if a family uses a liter of milk a week, that comes out to a difference of €33 Euros over a year (and that's lowballing milk use, I think; my family of three goes through about 4 liters a week, which would turn that into over €120 more spent a year on simply milk alone), while if a family eats 3kg of chicken a week, they're paying €2,111 a year, while a family in Portugal spends €875, a difference of €1,236.

I'll also note that if Numbeo's numbers on median income are true, the average Greek only makes about €25 more a month than the average Portuguese, indicating a lot more Greeks are earning minimum wage than Portuguese.

So, I think the sentiment of the complaint is not flawed, even if the numbers used are inaccurate.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

All true, but a 20% difference in the claimed minimum salary is not insignificant. And that's in the future, when and if the new conditions take effect, as right now, the salary is 40% higher than indicated. I disagree with the conditions of all bailout deals, the EU should have made much more to ensure economic development and protection of the poor and middle classes. However, it's a bit rich to make such errors when people are justly pissed with the false accounting in Greece.
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

@OP: Numbers aren't entirely accurate, but they're not far from my experience. They could be explained if the guy who made it lives in Athens, the most expensive place to be.
Colonel Olrik wrote:I don't think that's right. Feel free to correct me, but my info from various sources has been that the current minimum salary in Greece is 751 eur, with the troika demanding a cut of 22%, down to 586. In comparison, the minimum wage in Portugal is 485 eur, and in Spain 641 eur. No clue about the price of the other things, but 1.5 eur for a pastry is normal in Portugal.
Yours are the "mixed" numbers. Social Security fees, a bit less than 20%, get deducted before the worker sees a penny. Minimum wage for young people used to be 592 E (after deductions). It'll not be quite as high now.
Thanas wrote:Also, let us not forget that the Greek minimum wage is paid 14 times, whereas the portugese one is paid 12 times a year.
Not exactly. The 13th salary is essentially a Christmas bonus, and the 14th is a half-salary Easter bonus. And not everyone gets them. I've heard that a third of those who work in the private sector can expect neither, but take this with a grain of salt.

Numbeo's a nifty page. Some of the price variance it shows is due to recent tax hikes. The 3.8/4.2 split in cigarettes, for instance, is the exact before/after comparison.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

What proportion of households in Greece are living on minimum wage?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

I don't really know where to look for that. Preliminary searching has revealed nothing relevant.