Oklahoma joins the idiocy

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

dragon
Sith Marauder

Oklahoma joins the idiocy

Post by dragon »

Love the part where its a crime against unborn to waste sperm. Sorry guys no more masturbation in Oklahoma :wtf:

The first bill of the session passed by the Oklahoma Senate was an anti-abortion statement that life begins at the moment of conception, approved by senators Wednesday after two hours of debate.

The practical effect of the bill is open to question. Its author, Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, said it's merely a statement that Oklahoma is “pro-life.” He labeled as fear mongering contentions by opponents that it could lead to restrictions on abortions, birth control, in vitro fertilization and stem cell research.

The Personhood Act, Senate Bill 1433, received international attention in the wake of a proposed amendment from Sen. Constance Johnson, D-Holdenville. The amendment said it was an act against unborn children for men to waste sperm. “A lot of people thought that I was being facetious with my amendment in committee, and it was humorous and it has gotten international response,” Johnson said to her fellow senators.

“But I was serious as a heart attack. It wasn't until I used the biological and scientific references to those functions that somebody heard it. Maybe nobody in this chamber gets it but somebody heard that all we're asking for is for this conversation to include both individuals that are necessary to bring life about.”

Johnson, whose amendment was tabled, said she is sick of legislation that pries into the private lives of women with no mention of the men who are co-actors in the process of conception.

The bill passed 34-8 with several Democrats voting in favor.

Crain defended the bill he authored as a necessary step toward protecting Oklahoma's most vulnerable people, unborn children.

“The unborn have no voice of their own. We must be the voice of the unborn,” Crain said. “It will take us to the very limit of what the United States Supreme Court has deemed to be constitutional.”

He said the bill was a lobbyist request from the group Oklahomans for Life, but he would not name people who had sought the bill.

Oklahoma already has some of the strictest regulations on the books when it comes to abortions. Only three clinics in the state perform abortions, and the abortion rate in Oklahoma is lower than the national average, according to data released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

In 2008, about 10 out of every 1,000 women had an abortion in Oklahoma, lower than the national average of almost 20 abortions per 1,000 women.

“What would I do in the situation where one of my daughters found themselves with an unwanted pregnancy?” Crain said. “I would hope that my children would say, ‘Dad, I choose life. ... I would like to raise this child or I can't raise this child but I would like to bring this child into the world and then that child could be adopted.'”

Sen. Jim Wilson, D-Tahlequah, made a plea for the men of the Senate not to take that choice away from women.

“We say we're pro-life out here, but we don't do anything to limit pregnancies,” Wilson said. “We could do medically accurate sex education, but we choose not to do that. We could make birth control more available, but we choose not to do that.”
link
Crain's bill would not create a cause of action against a woman for indirectly harming her unborn child by failing to properly care for herself or failing to follow a program of prenatal care.

Critics say the measure would affect birth control, give inheritance rights to the unborn and reduce the availability of in-vitro fertilization, among other things. Crain disagreed.

He said it would not make women subject to homicide or manslaughter charges for seeking an abortion because abortion is allowed by the U.S. Supreme Court.

But Crain said the measure announces that Oklahoma is a pro-life state.

Sen. Constance Johnson, D-Oklahoma City, said that while it takes two people to create life, Crain's measure focuses only on half of that equation.

Dr. Eli Reshef, medical director at the Bennett Fertility Institute, which is affiliated with Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, said the bill would reduce the number of providers for in-vitro fertilization.

If a lab technician dropped a dish containing fertilized human eggs, it would be considered a crime, Reshef said.

"Embryos, including those frozen in storage, are now persons," Reshef said.

"Do they have inheritance rights because they are a person now?

"Do they have to be counted in the Census? I know this might sound like stretching, but this is how vague a law like this is."
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Oklahoma joins the idiocy

Post by Simon_Jester »

dragon wrote:Love the part where its a crime against unborn to waste sperm. Sorry guys no more masturbation in Oklahoma :wtf:
You missed something- that was a proposed amendment by a woman who was trying to emphasize how silly the bill was.

The Personhood Act, Senate Bill 1433, received international attention in the wake of a proposed amendment from Sen. Constance Johnson, D-Holdenville. The amendment said it was an act against unborn children for men to waste sperm. “A lot of people thought that I was being facetious with my amendment in committee, and it was humorous and it has gotten international response,” Johnson said to her fellow senators.

“But I was serious as a heart attack. It wasn't until I used the biological and scientific references to those functions that somebody heard it. Maybe nobody in this chamber gets it but somebody heard that all we're asking for is for this conversation to include both individuals that are necessary to bring life about.”

Johnson, whose amendment was tabled, said she is sick of legislation that pries into the private lives of women with no mention of the men who are co-actors in the process of conception.
Sen. Constance Johnson, D-Oklahoma City, said that while it takes two people to create life, Crain's measure focuses only on half of that equation.
Please reread the underlined passage.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Yeah thats what I get for skimming. But still funny that some think that way.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

What is the meaning of the Senate making a "statement"? Does anybody know? It's clearly not a law - a law regressing a Western state decades back would not pass so easily. Mississippi couldn't pass that shit.

So what does it mean? Why should a legislature be making "statements"? Aren't the statements supposed to be law?

To be honest, this sounds more like something invented to placate the lobbyist group mentioned in the article, so Senator Crain can keep himself in blue pills to fuck male prostitutes with. At least there's no risk of pregnancy there.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Faqa wrote:What is the meaning of the Senate making a "statement"? Does anybody know? It's clearly not a law - a law regressing a Western state decades back would not pass so easily. Mississippi couldn't pass that shit....
Mississippi's was a referendum. That's the only reason it failed. The Virginia legislature has passed a "person-hood" law, as well as a law requiring invasive ultrasound probes for women seeking an abortion. I'm not sure if the governor has signed the zygote protection bill yet, but there isn't much to stop it now.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter