Leader of Peru's leftist insurgency captured in jungle

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Leader of Peru's leftist insurgency captured in jungle

Post by Bernkastel »

Source here.
The most important leader of Peru's leftist Shining Path insurgency has been seriously wounded and captured by security forces after being shot in a remote jungle, president Ollanta Humala has said.

Artemio, the nom de guerre of Florindo Eleuterio Flores, heads the remnant group of guerrillas that went into the cocaine trade after the founders of the Maoist rebels were imprisoned during a bloody war against the state in the 1990s. Peru is the world's top grower of coca, the raw ingredient for cocaine.

Humala had earlier said Artemio was dead but it was later revealed he had survived the attack. Peruvian anti-drug police had tried for years to arrest Artemio. Two years ago, the United States offered a multimillion-dollar reward for information leading to his capture.

Humala, who fought against the Shining Path when he was a military officer in the 1990s, has vowed to step up efforts to catch what the government calls "narco-terrorists." The capture of Artemio is seen as his first major victory.

Former president Alan García, failed in his attempt to stamp out several hundred rebels who have yet to surrender their arms.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Re: Leader of Peru's leftist insurgency captured in jungle

Post by gizmojumpjet »

You've posted three different threads N&P threads today with copy-pasted content and with little to no commentary. Frankly, it looks like you're just trying to pad your post count. Certainly, you're not posting anything that someone with a news feed wouldn't already have heard about.

Why this annoying and pointless practice is allowed on these forums boggles the mind.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Is it really accurate to even describe the Shining Path as anything other than a narcotics gang at this point? They really haven't done anything aside from smuggle drugs and extort protection money, as opposed to even try to do anything remotely like an actual leftist revolution.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

gizmojumpjet wrote:You've posted three different threads N&P threads today with copy-pasted content and with little to no commentary. Frankly, it looks like you're just trying to pad your post count. Certainly, you're not posting anything that someone with a news feed wouldn't already have heard about.

Why this annoying and pointless practice is allowed on these forums boggles the mind.
Yeah, we're not really fans of it. Don't presume it's "allowed", either. You can just PM a mod next time instead of playing hall monitor.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

I apologise for my action. Sorry.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Akhlut wrote:Is it really accurate to even describe the Shining Path as anything other than a narcotics gang at this point? They really haven't done anything aside from smuggle drugs and extort protection money, as opposed to even try to do anything remotely like an actual leftist revolution.
Lately they've been trying to get registered as a political party in order to try to get a general amnesty for their sub-human piece of shit members to get them released from prison. They didn't succeed because the entire media and all the political parties reacted strongly to stop them.

They miscalculated thinking that it had been long enough for most young people to have forgotten what those years were like.

As for the guys still in the jungle, they are indeed mostly dedicated to drugs. But mostly as hired enforcers rather than going into bussiness themselves
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.