Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB
Posts: 19195
Joined: 2002-07-28 12:30pm
Contact:

Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by weemadando » 2012-01-11 10:45pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-12/m ... es/3769308

On mobile, so not quoting it, but a picture tells a thousand words.

Image

Way to win that War on Terror fellers.

User avatar
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Posts: 12797
Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Flagg » 2012-01-11 10:50pm

I'll post it for you:

ABC NEWS
Marines allegedly urinated on Taliban corpses

Updated January 12, 2012 14:20:57

The US military is investigating an online video purportedly showing Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

The video shows what appear to be four servicemen, dressed in US military uniform, relieving themselves onto three bloodied bodies on the ground, apparently aware that they are being filmed.

"Have a great day, buddy," one of them says.

The Pentagon has not yet verified the video, but spokesman John Kirby slammed the behaviour.

"Regardless of the circumstances or who is in the video, this is... egregious, disgusting behaviour, unacceptable for anyone in uniform," he said.

"It turned my stomach," he added of the video, which was posted on the Live Leak website.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a prominent national Muslim civil rights and advocacy group, condemned the alleged desecration of corpses.

"If verified as authentic, the video shows behaviour that is totally unbecoming of American military personnel and that could ultimately endanger other soldiers and civilians," it said in a statement.

A statement issued by the Pentagon added: "Headquarters Marine Corps has recently been made aware of a video that portrays Marines urinating on what appear to be deceased members of the Taliban.

"While we have not yet verified the origin or authenticity of this video, the actions portrayed are not consistent with our core values and are not indicative of the character of the Marines in our Corps.

"This matter will be fully investigated."

Some 20,000 Marines are deployed in Afghanistan, mostly in Kandahar and Helmand provinces in the south of the war-ravaged country.

AFP
Too bad these scumbags will probably be hailed as heroes by the right.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw

Alkaloid
Jedi Master
Posts: 1102
Joined: 2011-03-21 07:59am

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Alkaloid » 2012-01-11 11:41pm

Too bad these scumbags will probably be hailed as heroes by the right.
Funnily enough the right wing boards I visit for yuks seem to just be deleting all references to it and generally ignoring it.

User avatar
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Posts: 12797
Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Flagg » 2012-01-11 11:42pm

Alkaloid wrote:
Too bad these scumbags will probably be hailed as heroes by the right.
Funnily enough the right wing boards I visit for yuks seem to just be deleting all references to it and generally ignoring it.

Hell I've barely even seen it mentioned on US news websites and not at all on TV.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
JME2
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 12258
Joined: 2003-02-02 04:04pm

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by JME2 » 2012-01-12 12:09am

Disgusting.

User avatar
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2939
Joined: 2007-03-04 06:52pm
Location: Korea.

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by CaptHawkeye » 2012-01-12 12:24am

Cue surprised gasps and straight faced disbelief. It turns out when you put people in a massively stressful enviornment and turn the daily elements of the social contract that we take for granted upside down, people do fucked up, weird things?
Best care anywhere.

User avatar
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1821
Joined: 2008-08-19 01:34pm
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Count Chocula » 2012-01-12 12:31am

Well the video's kinda odd. 4 "Marines," two without helmets in a WAR ZONE, no zippers down, no piss streams, no actual Kevlar vests, only one visibly armed, from GalaxyCruiser who reposts other peoples' videos. Not saying it's bullshit, but it's not believable yet. And deciduous shrubs; do those grow in Afghanistan?
Image
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777

User avatar
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1705
Joined: 2011-02-28 05:36am

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Panzersharkcat » 2012-01-12 12:39am

You are fucking blind if you can't see the piss stream of the guy furthest to the right. And last I checked, the MCCUU, like the ACU, does not have zippers.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer

User avatar
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 17492
Joined: 2002-08-11 07:28pm
Location: Montana, USA

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Alyeska » 2012-01-12 12:46am

Count Chocula wrote:Well the video's kinda odd. 4 "Marines," two without helmets in a WAR ZONE, no zippers down, no piss streams, no actual Kevlar vests, only one visibly armed, from GalaxyCruiser who reposts other peoples' videos. Not saying it's bullshit, but it's not believable yet. And deciduous shrubs; do those grow in Afghanistan?
That is your argument? Seriously? Are you that fucking dense? It's "staged" because they don't have their fucking helmets on?
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."

User avatar
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1821
Joined: 2008-08-19 01:34pm
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Count Chocula » 2012-01-12 01:14am

OK I just saw the piss stream of the person on the right hand side of the pic. Based on that, I concede. If these are Marines, and I can't see name patches or rank insignia to verify, then the UCMJ hammer should come down on them. If it's a spoof or joke it's in egregiously bad taste.
Image
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777

User avatar
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 17492
Joined: 2002-08-11 07:28pm
Location: Montana, USA

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Alyeska » 2012-01-12 01:20am

Count Chocula wrote:OK I just saw the piss stream of the person on the right hand side of the pic. Based on that, I concede. If these are Marines, and I can't see name patches or rank insignia to verify, then the UCMJ hammer should come down on them. If it's a spoof or joke it's in egregiously bad taste.
The Marine Combat Utility Uniform does not have velcro on it for patches, so no shoulder patches. Rank is worn on the collar while in garrison. But I just happen to see rank pins on the top flap of the shoulder pockets. Looks like a Corporal and a Staff Sargent.

The camo pattern and lack of velcro on the shoulder pockets definitively identifies the uniforms as MCUUs. Those are Marines.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 30155
Joined: 2009-05-23 07:29pm

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Simon_Jester » 2012-01-12 01:21am

[scratches head]

It is perfectly plausible that this is exactly what it appears to be, Occam's Razor, it is what it appears to be until further notice. Four Marines pissing on the dead bodies of three... guys, possibly guerillas, possibly random people.

Now, randomly the idea that it might be a photoshop/acting job, someone's idea of a bad joke, actually flashed into my head- but no way in hell am I going to seriously assert that it is. Like I said, Occam's Razor applies, and "these are actual Marines" is so much simpler and better an explanation that it should be totally obvious to everyone.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

User avatar
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6229
Joined: 2008-03-14 07:47am

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by madd0ct0r » 2012-01-12 01:26am

Chocula, how do you derive it's a deciduous shrub?

looks like a bush to me. got leaves and everything. got some of them in my backgarden. you know, like vegetation.

christ.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

User avatar
PeZook
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13237
Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Location: Poland

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by PeZook » 2012-01-12 03:49am

madd0ct0r wrote:Chocula, how do you derive it's a deciduous shrub?

looks like a bush to me. got leaves and everything. got some of them in my backgarden. you know, like vegetation.

christ.
We all know Afghanistan is a barren wasteland where people subsists on rocks ;)

Anyways, it's not surprising. That's why I always say that you shouldn't go to war, any war, unless you are prepared to see shit like that surface, because however well you train your soldiers, these will still happen, and only good oversight can minimize the amount.
Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

User avatar
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6229
Joined: 2008-03-14 07:47am

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by madd0ct0r » 2012-01-12 05:52am

yeah seeing bushes can fucking scary sometimes.

I mean, I saw one enter the whitehouse once, and i was scared for years!

But OT, fucking idiots.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

User avatar
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 6663
Joined: 2007-06-19 12:48pm
Location: In Seth the Blitzspear
Contact:

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Zixinus » 2012-01-12 06:46am

The only people surprised by this are people that seriously expect that USMC are people composed entirely on something better than human.

Instead, they are human beings who merely got good training. Soldiers and sometimes, in war times, soldiers do shit like this.

Yes, it's disgusting, but sadly entirely expectable.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.

edaw1982
Padawan Learner
Posts: 181
Joined: 2011-09-23 03:53am
Location: Orkland, New Zealand

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by edaw1982 » 2012-01-12 08:10am

This is seriously fucked up.
Still, krieg ist holle, and it's not fun on the human psyche. Especially when you factor in the (to enable them to kill them...) Us vs Untermenschen mentality.

As soon as they stop seeing the other side as human, then it's not inhumane if you treat them like this.

Of course, this also means that when the enemy starts doing nasty crap to your buddies corpses, then one shouldn't try to be too surprised.
I mean the Muslims are big on that 'eye-for-an-eye' schtick. So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Oh yes, things are going to get much much worse. Lots of corpse abuse will happen.

On the plus side though, ten or twenty years when this is over, and they reboot Rambo they can have him sobbing and whimpering over how those 'Damned Dirty Civvies' called them corpse-pissers.
Great movie material that. :P
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"

User avatar
wautd
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7370
Joined: 2004-02-11 10:11am
Location: Intensive care

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by wautd » 2012-01-12 08:35am

Not that I'll be shedding any tears for dead taliban, it's an extremely dumb thing to do unless you want to drop more oil on the fire. I just hope they were taliban, and not poor sobs on the wrong place at the wrong time.

edaw1982
Padawan Learner
Posts: 181
Joined: 2011-09-23 03:53am
Location: Orkland, New Zealand

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by edaw1982 » 2012-01-12 08:42am

I don't get why dumbasses film stuff like this? You'd think they'd be tech-savvy enough to know that this sort of crap winds up from 'Lol d00d I haz film 4rum Iraqistan...' to 'Youtube Sensation'.

And maybe they were Taliban (or some variation on the pissed off Muslim mould), wautd. But there's that whole 'look into the abyss become your enemy' thing to worry about.
Besides, as uniformed Military personnel who like to wave their banner and hold it to a higher standard, then they should act more professional than this.

Yes they're pissed off and angry, and I can't blame them for that. But defiling corpses is a supremely shitty thing to do.

I mean look how pissed off America was with the corpse-dragging in Somalia back in '93.
Just because the enemy does crap like that, does not mean you should also do it. At least, unless the intent is to piss them off into a rage to do something stupid (like the Vietcong sticking dead soldiers up so as to piss the live ones off from doing something stupid).
But I think this is yet another case of 'lolcamera'.

It makes them look like arseholes, and it pisses away (yes I'm aware of the pun) what..if any good will there was. And sadly of course people are gonna look at the Marines (and US servicemen in general) in bad light.
Then again, from Puppy-biffing to Corpse-pissing, the Marines do seem to screw up in regards to 'Not-filming-crap-you-don't-want-filmed'. Maybe the Recruits need some extra training about keeping fuckwittedness in front of a camera to the usual horseplay (dancing to the latest music craze, full-tackling port-a-potties...that sort of thing); on pain of Boot-up-butthole from their Noncoms.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"

User avatar
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!
Posts: 21166
Joined: 2003-05-11 08:39am
Location: Bleeding breasts and stabbing dicks since 2003
Contact:

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Shroom Man 777 » 2012-01-12 09:52am

Afghanistan belongs to America now, and the behaviors of dominant creatures often involve marking their territories to ward off lesser creatures and scavengers. Nature is simply taking its course. Freedom and democracy have prevailed.

In the harsh desert, water is a precious and sacred commodity. These brave patriots are merely shedding their water upon their vanquished foes as a sign of respect. They have to walk with rhythm.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner
Posts: 371
Joined: 2011-04-23 12:27pm

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by KhorneFlakes » 2012-01-12 11:27am

If pissing on your enemie's corpses as a sign of respect was an actual American custom, it would be funny, because it would confuse the fuck out of foreigners.

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15714
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Knife » 2012-01-12 11:40am

Not that it isn't bad PR issue, but I'm a bit more upset that our guys are still over there shooting people for no reason than that they are doing PR flaps by pissing on dead enemies.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22604
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Dalton » 2012-01-12 12:02pm

Apparently the Taliban is saying that this won't hurt peace talks. How very forward of them.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
LaCroix
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4846
Joined: 2004-12-21 12:14pm
Location: Sopron District, Hungary, Europe, Terra

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by LaCroix » 2012-01-12 12:04pm

Dalton wrote:Apparently the Taliban is saying that this won't hurt diplomatic negotiations. How very forward of them.
At least they got people for the post who realize that the actions of some idiots are not representative of general opinion (and shows the fact that they mellowed a bit). This makes me look forward to the negotiations with them .
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

Rahvin
Jedi Knight
Posts: 615
Joined: 2005-07-06 12:51pm

Re: Ladies and gentlemen,a slow clap for the USMC

Post by Rahvin » 2012-01-12 12:31pm

LaCroix wrote:
Dalton wrote:Apparently the Taliban is saying that this won't hurt diplomatic negotiations. How very forward of them.
At least they got people for the post who realize that the actions of some idiots are not representative of general opinion (and shows the fact that they mellowed a bit). This makes me look forward to the negotiations with them .
Is that what it means? Or does it mean "We already knew the Americans view Muslims as subhuman, like that Florida preacher who wanted to burn the Koran, or the occasional fuckwit who talks about dousing the bodies of Muslim combatants in pig's blood, or the soldier who recently got convicted for collecting Muslim body parts as trophies, or the group of soldiers who raped and murdered an entire family of Iraqis. This doesn't change anything because we honestly aren't surprised at all, the only difference is that it happened to be caught on tape and distributed to the media this time. We were pissed before, and we're pissed now."

The opinions of racist Americans, including troops, are hardly a big secret. Certainly not all Americans or American troops are like that, but the presence of this sort of person in the American Armed Forces isn't exactly a surprise.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net

Post Reply