MythBusters Bust

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

MythBusters Bust

Post by LadyTevar »

Ooops!
MSNBC wrote: DUBLIN, Calif. -- A "MythBusters" experiment went awry Tuesday, sending a cannonball blasting through a home, the Alameda County Sheriff's Office said.

Sheriff's spokesman J.D. Nelson told NBCBayArea.com that a projectile from an Alameda County firing range in Dublin missed its intended target and hit a home near Tassajara Road and Somerset Lane -- going through one wall and exiting through another.

The Sheriff's Office said it was a cannonball fired by a "MythBusters" crew that "took a few unfortunate bounces." It was not known what the experiment entailed.

The zany team on the Discovery Channel TV series attempts to verify or debunk urban legends, popularly held beliefs and movie scenes by conducting experiments — repeatedly warning young viewers not to try them at home or without a parent.

"MythBusters" has examined whether a collision with a bug can kill a biker (debunked), whether it is possible to shoot the hat off a person’s head without harming the wearer (debunked) and whether drafting behind a big-rig truck can improve a car's fuel efficiency (confirmed).

The MythBusters' Twitter account retweeted a post from one of the show's cast, Grant Imahara, stating the team was to be working with artillery. That post (along with the photo) has since been removed.

No one was injured. Authorities were still investigating the incident. It was unclear where the cannonball came to rest.
NBCBayArea News wrote: A projectile from an Alameda County firing range in Dublin accidentally missed its intended target, said JD Nelson, the public information officer for the Alameda County Sheriff's Office. Instead, the object blasted through the wall of a home near Tassajara Road and Somerset Lane.

The projectile reportedly entered the home through one wall and exited through another. It also damaged a vehicle in the neighborhood.

According to the Alameda Sheriff, the cannonball "took a few unfortunate bounces" during a "Mythbusters" experiment gone awry.

The Mythbusters' Twitter account retweeted a post from one of their own, Grant Imahara, stating the team was to be working with such artillery. Grant's original post (along with photo) has since been removed.

No one was injured.

Nelson said the show was doing an experiment using a cannon they had built about two years ago and which they have used at least three times before.

In this particular experiment, the projectile was intended to go through several barrels of water and a cinder block wall before striking the hills of the bomb range, Nelson said. However, the cannonball missed its target. It missed the water, which was intended to slow the projectile's progress, went through the cinderblock wall and struck the hill.

"It did not bury itself in the hill as you might think it would have," Nelson told Bay City News.

"Mythbusters" has used the same bomb range more than 50 times for experiments and filming. "We never even had any kind of an incident, let alone anything this terrible," Nelson said
People from Dublin CA state in the comments section of the local news that the cannon ball wound up in the backseat of a parked SVU, entering via the front windshield.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: MythBusters Bust

Post by LaCroix »

hmmm...

That house...

was busted! 8)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What the hell were they using for propellant in that experiment?

I've never heard of a cannonball doing that kind of damage after BOUNCING.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote:What the hell were they using for propellant in that experiment?

That is the Million Dollar question, and I'm dying to hear the answer. :lol: I hope they show the whole scene, with the 'afteraffects', and explain just how it went wrong.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

the projectile was intended to go through several barrels of water and a cinder block wall before striking the hills of the bomb range, Nelson said. However, the cannonball missed its target. It missed the water, which was intended to slow the projectile's progress, went through the cinderblock wall and struck the hill.
Knowing how high an arrow can climb after hitting a tree branch off-centre, and how far it travels, I can imagine that a round ball will bounce quite a distance from a sloped hill of sufficient density. According to the articles, the houses were not far behind that hill, and the visuals show "Californian code"-type walls, which you can break really easy. A brick wall house would probably have stopped the ball at this point.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

They probably used the cannon Jaime built and that they had used for similar cannon-related myths before.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

Skgoa wrote:They probably used the cannon Jaime built and that they had used for similar cannon-related myths before.
If memory serves, he's built more than one out of varying materials.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

I am talking about the giant steam cannon.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Haha that house is BUSTED.

Seriously though how the hell there are houses so close to a bomb range that a canonball can bounce off a hill and hit one. I would expect a bomb range would have at least few km exclusion zone. If a misfired canonball can reach house so can a shrapnel from bomb or a rifle bullet.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Solauren wrote:What the hell were they using for propellant in that experiment?

Umm, in both naval and land warfare with smooth bore cannon it was downright typical to use ricochet fire to skip cannon balls into the target. This was absurdly effective against troops in land warfare as the ball would keep on bouncing through many ranks of men, while for warships it helped them deal with the rolling action of the ship. If you skipped the ball across the water it was sure to hit low on the hull of an enemy ship, rather then risking flying over it or falling short in the water and stopping. It takes a fair bit of skill to do it in either case, also firm ground on land which became a major factor at the Battle of Waterloo among other places; ground was too soft from the rain making Napoleons artillery fire unable to use ricochet fire.
Sky Captain wrote:Haha that house is BUSTED.

Seriously though how the hell there are houses so close to a bomb range that a canonball can bounce off a hill and hit one. I would expect a bomb range would have at least few km exclusion zone. If a misfired canonball can reach house so can a shrapnel from bomb or a rifle bullet.
That's why its a bomb range intended for bomb squad training involving static explosions, and not an artillery range. An artillery range would have large exclusion zones or much larger backstop hills/mountains. After this I suspect they won't be letting Myth Busters fire artillery on that range anymore.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

It could be worse, at least they weren't shelled by a howitzer
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, I've got a feeling they'll no longer be allowed access to the Alameda bomb range after this incident.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

As a show that loves putting up as many explosions up as possible for whatever random reason, I am not that surprised. It was only a matter of time till one of their bright experiments ended up awry.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

(Unembeddable video link)

The Mythbusters visited the scene:
'MythBusters' hosts: Sorry about that cannonball

By DEMIAN BULWA, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

Published 09:34 p.m., Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Mythbusters" stars Adam Savage, left, and Jamie Hyneman approach the home damaged by an errant cannonball fired during a filming of an episode of their show, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011 in Dublin, Calif. Sheriff's deputies are still measuring how, exactly, the cannonball flew from a bomb range in the rolling hills flanking a suburban San Francisco Bay area neighborhood and rocketed into the front door of a home and through its master bedroom before landing in a neighbor's parked minivan. (Ben Margot / AP)

The special-effects gurus who host the television show "MythBusters" were cast Wednesday in an ignominious role: visiting a home on a quiet street in Dublin, Calif., and apologizing to a family for firing a 30-pound cannonball through their front door a day earlier.

"Come in," said Hitha Shetty, 39, ushering show hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage across a floor still speckled with paint and plaster.

Behind Shetty was damage more likely to be found on a pirate ship than a two-story tract home. A round hole scarred an interior wall and, beyond that, another hole showed where the cannonball had exited the upstairs master bedroom as Shetty's wife, Seema, napped with the couple's 2-year-old son.

After assuring Shetty, his two children, his wife and her parents that they would never again blast a home with heavy ordnance, Hyneman and Savage said the incident was the worst thing that had happened during thousands of experiments over eight years on the Discovery Channel show.

They also promised they wouldn't air the footage they had filmed of the near-catastrophic cannon shot.

Embarrassed hosts

"It's a wake-up call," said Savage, 44, who like his 56-year-old partner lives in San Francisco. "Honestly, the feeling of embarrassment is not something we're indulging in right now. We feel for the families and the people affected by this."

He added, "Some people watch our show and think that we're reckless. Others watch our show and they see we take safety seriously. The fact is, the latter is the case."

Savage and Hyneman were not present at the Alameda County bomb ordnance range - which the show has used for years and is nearly 1,000 yards west of the Shetty home - when the cannon fired at 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.

They said the three other stars of the show -- Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara -- had been "calibrating" a homemade cannon, firing a ball made of either steel or cast iron into water barrels and a brick wall to make sure it had the same power as a historical cannon.

Stone cannonballs

The ultimate goal, they said, was to go to a more remote location and use the cannon to fire stone cannonballs into a replica castle wall.

"The myth was whether or not a stone cannonball could actually breach a castle's walls," Savage said.

However, Hyneman said, the crew suffered "muzzle lift," and the cannonball arced across Dublin. It bounced on the Shettys' driveway on Cassata Place before racing through their home and flying across six-lane Tassajara Road.

It then bounced off the roof of a second home before smashing into another resident's Toyota Sienna minivan, coming to rest on the floorboards.

"When you start to look into the data of what cannons can actually do, it's actually quite shocking," Savage said. "They're very efficient projectile-hurling weapons. It's a lot of power, and the power got away from us."

Surprise for sheriff

The shot took the Alameda County Sheriff's Department by surprise as well. The agency, which runs the ordnance range, halted all non-emergency operations there pending a review into safety policies, said department spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson.

Before receiving his visitors, Hitha Shetty said the novelty of the situation didn't soothe his anger. He said residents should have known a dangerous experiment was being staged. He also hinted at firing back with a lawsuit.

"The kids are usually playing there," he said of the path of the cannonball. "I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. And, of course, they need to pay for this. Not just the physical damage, but everything else."

Talk of the town

As he spoke, his street filled with neighbors who wanted to see the dent in the pavement where the ball bounced and the hole in the front door. Some kids snapped photos and pocketed shards of concrete as souvenirs.

"You get to see this probably only once in your lifetime," said Sameer Paila, 9, after he took video with his dad's iPhone.

The show hosts signed autographs in the street but resisted humor. After Savage posed for a picture with two neighborhood girls, he said, "You'll forgive us for not smiling. It's not smiling time."

Chronicle staff writer Henry K. Lee contributed to this report.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Skgoa wrote:I am talking about the giant steam cannon.
Yeah, because I'm pretty sure you couldn't get that result from the duct tape cannon. I mean it worked, but not nearly that well
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

As I recall, Mr. Belleci built a cannon out of milled steel some seasons ago. Presumably this is that cannon.

It seems to me that the production team and the hosts were massively underestimating the power of a cannon, which I guess is something that can happen if you've worked with explosions and such for a long time.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

They might not be smiling, but the mental image amuses me. As does the experiment...

A distant thunderclap, and all of the sudden the door explodes, something bounces around the house showering everything in splintes of wood, particle board and sheet-rock before exiting, slamming into a parked mini-van with a wrench of steel.

"What the fuck just happened?"
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Siege wrote:As I recall, Mr. Belleci built a cannon out of milled steel some seasons ago. Presumably this is that cannon.

It seems to me that the production team and the hosts were massively underestimating the power of a cannon, which I guess is something that can happen if you've worked with explosions and such for a long time.
According to the reports they did not under-estimate the power of the cannon, they just neglected to notice that the firing was not aimed at the target. They "suffered muzzle elevation" per the reports which sounds to me like they had a miss fire they kicked the cannon up then the actual fire a few seconds later.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I wonder if urban encroachment had anything to do with the proximity of the houses to the range. I know a lot of airports and military bases have problems with getting a big empty bit of land and then people build all the way up to the edge, making things more difficult/dangerous. Maybe they haven't updated their policies since they were surrounded by empty space.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Darmalus wrote:I wonder if urban encroachment had anything to do with the proximity of the houses to the range. I know a lot of airports and military bases have problems with getting a big empty bit of land and then people build all the way up to the edge, making things more difficult/dangerous. Maybe they haven't updated their policies since they were surrounded by empty space.
They are a bomb range not an artillery range. They use the Alameda for testing cannons because it is a bomb range and it is a nice open plot of land for blowing things up. That's why they had a target set up to take the kinetic force of the attack. However per the reports they missed the target all together.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

They said the three other stars of the show -- Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara -- had been "calibrating" a homemade cannon, firing a ball made of either steel or cast iron into water barrels and a brick wall to make sure it had the same power as a historical cannon.

I knew it! When I first heard this story I knew it was going to be on those build team idiots*!

*-Not that they are actually stupid (well maybe Kari) but the reason I don't normally watch Mythbusters despite it being a fun show is the necessity of having to sit through those jackholes while waiting for Adam and Jamie's bits to come back on. Also recalling when they shocked Adam with their prank Ark of the Covenant and he got pissed at him becaus eit really could have injured him.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

One of the articles that I've been following specified that the Almeda Park had been there for decades, but the houses had only been built within the last 5yrs. So yes, the houses were encroaching upon the safety zone for the Bomb Site.

You can find the site on MythBusters, and it clearly shows the houses are within a mile of the site, far too close if you ask me.

Either way, they will not be using that footage on any show. I do hope that they do a show where they investigate to understand what went wrong, and why/how the cannonball bounced so far. The Mythbusters have been very serious about safety over the decades, so this would be a perfect time for a show on When Things Go Wrong.

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

The fact that it'd be such a perfect bit of footage for an episode on "This is why you shouldn't try this at home" makes me wonder exactly why it is that they're going out of their way to not use the footage. I mean, it'd be different if someone was actually injured or killed, but since everything was restricted to property damage (which I imagine their insurance and/or Discovery will be paying), what's the harm? Hell, going by some of those articles, I imagine the town may be getting some decentMythbusters related tourism in the short term if it plays its cards right.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

What I heard was the the family whose home was damaged asked them not to show the footage. Complying with such a request may be seen as part of an attempt to put things right after this accident.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Archaic` wrote:The fact that it'd be such a perfect bit of footage for an episode on "This is why you shouldn't try this at home" makes me wonder exactly why it is that they're going out of their way to not use the footage. I mean, it'd be different if someone was actually injured or killed, but since everything was restricted to property damage (which I imagine their insurance and/or Discovery will be paying), what's the harm? Hell, going by some of those articles, I imagine the town may be getting some decentMythbusters related tourism in the short term if it plays its cards right.
The family whose home was used as a backstop for the MythBuster's experiment has hinted that they plan to take the MythBusters to the cleaners, as it were.
Before receiving his visitors, Hitha Shetty said the novelty of the situation didn't soothe his anger. He said residents should have known a dangerous experiment was being staged. He also hinted at firing back with a lawsuit.

"The kids are usually playing there," he said of the path of the cannonball. "I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. And, of course, they need to pay for this. Not just the physical damage, but everything else."
At this time, I can understand why Discovery Communications would like to go out of their way not to further antagonize the family whose house was shot through, the family whose minivan stopped the cannonball and anyone else in that neighborhood who might be motivated into NIMBYism. Especially since they were damned fortunate that nobody was in the path of the errant cannonball.