1 in 3 Americans poor or near poor

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

1 in 3 Americans poor or near poor

Post by Broomstick »

From the Census Bureau and the New York Times:
Older, Suburban and Struggling, ‘Near Poor’ Startle the Census

WASHINGTON — They drive cars, but seldom new ones. They earn paychecks, but not big ones. Many own homes. Most pay taxes. Half are married, and nearly half live in the suburbs. None are poor, but many describe themselves as barely scraping by.

Down but not quite out, these Americans form a diverse group sometimes called “near poor” and sometimes simply overlooked — and a new count suggests they are far more numerous than previously understood.

When the Census Bureau this month released a new measure of poverty, meant to better count disposable income, it began altering the portrait of national need. Perhaps the most startling differences between the old measure and the new involves data the government has not yet published, showing 51 million people with incomes less than 50 percent above the poverty line. That number of Americans is 76 percent higher than the official account, published in September. All told, that places 100 million people — one in three Americans — either in poverty or in the fretful zone just above it.

After a lost decade of flat wages and the worst downturn since the Great Depression, the findings can be thought of as putting numbers to the bleak national mood — quantifying the expressions of unease erupting in protests and political swings. They convey levels of economic stress sharply felt but until now hard to measure.

The Census Bureau, which published the poverty data two weeks ago, produced the analysis of those with somewhat higher income at the request of The New York Times. The size of the near-poor population took even the bureau’s number crunchers by surprise.

“These numbers are higher than we anticipated,” said Trudi J. Renwick, the bureau’s chief poverty statistician. “There are more people struggling than the official numbers show.”

Outside the bureau, skeptics of the new measure warned that the phrase “near poor” — a common term, but not one the government officially uses — may suggest more hardship than most families in this income level experience. A family of four can fall into this range, adjusted for regional living costs, with an income of up to $25,500 in rural North Dakota or $51,000 in Silicon Valley.

But most economists called the new measure better than the old, and many said the findings, while disturbing, comported with what was previously known about stagnant wages.

“It’s very consistent with everything we’ve been hearing in the last few years about families’ struggle, earnings not keeping up for the bottom half,” said Sheila Zedlewski, a researcher at the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan economic and social research group.

Patched together a half-century ago, the official poverty measure has long been seen as flawed. It ignores hundreds of billions the needy receive in food stamps, tax credits and other programs, and the similarly large sums paid in taxes, medical care and work expenses. The new method, called the Supplemental Poverty Measure, counts all those factors and adjusts for differences in the cost of living, which the official measure ignores.

The results scrambled the picture of poverty in many surprising ways. The measure shows less severe destitution, but a bit more overall poverty; fewer poor children, but more poor people over 65.

Of the 51 million who appear near poor under the fuller measure, nearly 20 percent were lifted up from poverty by benefits the official count overlooks. But more than half were pushed down from higher income levels: more than eight million by taxes, six million by medical expenses, and four million by work expenses like transportation and child care.

Demographically, they look more like “The Brady Bunch” than “The Wire.” Half live in households headed by a married couple; 49 percent live in the suburbs. Nearly half are non-Hispanic white, 18 percent are black and 26 percent are Latino.

Perhaps the most surprising finding is that 28 percent work full-time, year round. “These estimates defy the stereotypes of low-income families,” Ms. Renwick said.

Among them is Phyllis Pendleton, a social worker with Catholic Charities in Washington, who proudly displays the signs of a hard-won middle-class life. She has one BlackBerry and two cars (both Buicks from the 1990s), and a $230,000 house that she, her husband and two daughters will move into next week.

Combined, she and her husband, a janitor, make about $51,000 a year, more than 200 percent of the official poverty line. But they lose about a fifth to taxes, medical care and transportation to work — giving them a disposable income of about $40,000 a year.

Adjust the poverty threshold, as the new measure does, to $31,000 for the region’s high cost of living, and Ms. Pendleton’s income is 29 percent above the poverty line. That is to say, she is near poor.

While the phrase is new to her, the struggle it evokes is not.

“Living paycheck to paycheck,” is how she describes her survival strategy. “One bad bill will wipe you out.”

It took her three years to save $3,000 for the down payment on her house, which she got with subsidies from a nonprofit group, Capital Area Asset Builders. But even after cutting out meals at Red Lobster, movie nights and new clothes, she had to rely on government aid to get health insurance for her daughters, 11 and 13, and she is already worried about college tuition.

“I’m turning over every rock looking for scholarships,” she said. “The money’s out there, you just have to find it.”
This is an interesting mind set, really - once again, we see the American notion that if you just look hard enough you'll find what you need. There is no doubt it's out there (whether or not it is, whether or not there is proof or evidence of its existence) and if you haven't found it you just aren't looking hard enough. Once again, it's a meme that if you're poor it's because you're not working hard enough or are otherwise lacking something in yourself that would enable you to achieve wealth. It couldn't possibly be a system rigged against the majority, or that scholarships are disappearing, or costs rising far faster than wages. One's wealth is entirely due to one's own efforts (with a sub-text of moral worth often involved) and absolutely nothing outside the person could possibly have an effect on their chances of success.
The findings, which the Census Bureau plans to release on Monday, have already set off a contentious debate about how to describe such families: struggling, straitened, economically insecure?

Robert Rector, an analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation, rejects the phrase “near poverty,” arguing that it conjures levels of dire need like hunger and homelessness experienced by a minority even among those actually poor.

“I don’t have any objection to this measure if you use the term ‘low-income,’ ” he said. “But the emotionally charged terms ‘poor’ or ‘near poor’ clearly suggest to most people a level of material hardship that doesn’t exist. It is deliberately used to mislead people.”
Right, because we wouldn't want people to get emotional over this. Because maybe then they'd demand change. Or protest in the streets. Maybe camp out on Wall Street in protest....

I think "near poor" is a fantastic term. It adequately conveys the precariousness of the situation.
Bruce Meyer, an economist at the University of Chicago, warned that the numbers are likely to mask considerable diversity. Some households, especially the elderly, may have considerable savings. (Indeed, nearly one in five of the near poor own their homes mortgage-free.) But others may be getting help with public housing and food stamps.

“I do think this is a better measure, but I wouldn’t say that 100 million people are on the edge of starvation or anything close to that,” Mr. Meyer said.

But Ms. Zedlewski said the seeming ordinariness of these families is part of the point. “There are a lot of low-income Americans struggling to make ends meet, and we don’t pay enough attention to them,” she said.

One group likely to gain attention is older Americans. By the official count, only 22 percent of the elderly are either poor or near poor. By the alternate count, the figure rises to 34 percent.

That is still less than the share among children, 39 percent, but it erases about half the gap between the economic fortunes of the young and old recorded in the official count. The likeliest explanation is high medical costs.

Another surprising finding is that only a quarter of the near poor are insured, and 42 percent have private insurance. Indeed, the cost of paying the premiums is part of the previously uncounted expenses they bear.
I don't know why that would surprise anyone.
Belinda Sheppard’s finances have been so battered in the past year, she finds herself wondering what storm will come next. Her adult daughter lost her job and moved in. Her adult son does not have one and cannot move out.

That leaves three adults getting by on $46,000 from her daughter’s unemployment check and the money Ms. Sheppard makes for a marketing firm, placing products in grocery stores. Take out $7,000 for taxes, transportation and medical care, and they have an income of about 130 percent of the poverty line — not poor, but close.

Ms. Sheppard pays $2,000 in rent and says her employer classifies her as part time to avoid offering her health insurance, even though she works 40 hours a week. Unable to buy it on her own, she crosses her fingers and tries to stay healthy.
Yet another reason we need single-payer health insurance in this country. With no health insurance all it takes it something like appendicitis or a bad gall bladder to tip this woman over into bankruptcy and poverty, taking her whole family with her.
“I try to work as many hours as I can, but my salary, it’s not enough for everything,” she said. “I pay my bills with very small wiggle room. Or none.”
Yeah, I know that feeling.

Actually, with my new job we're currently right on the poverty line border, and may be ascending into the near-poor soon, but that doesn't mean we're OK. We have no reserves, no savings and aren't likely to in the near future. If anything happens to our health insurance we're fucked. If something happens to one of our vehicles we can't replace it. Things are better, but they're still not OK. I'm tired of seeing so many news articles about what is, essentially, my own situation multiplied by 10 or 100 million.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: 1 in 3 Americans poor or near poor

Post by Simon_Jester »

Since there are a ton of people who still Do Not Get It (aside from the news reporters), this may be a social necessity: to point out that yes, there are a huge number of people who are running as fast as they can to stay in place and praying they don't trip.

If and only if we can get the average American to grasp that this is a uniform crisis throughout America, that it isn't just those lazy people over there, that even with all the effort a normal person can muster breaking out of poverty is becoming extremely hard... then we may see poverty treated as a serious social problem that we need to confront as a society for the first time in fifty years.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

A note about "Near Poor" which is a great term by the way.... Not to distract from the main point illustrating the clear economic hardship of so many people, but a lack of financial literacy is a clear and contributing factor to so many being considered 'near poor'. I council at least dozen people a day on making sound financial decisions, prioritizing purchases based on importance, saving every week... even if it's five dollars. Teaching people how to spend and save with responsibility in a world where being a spendthrifts is seen as patriotic duty is damn near impossible. They just don't teach financial literacy in school and the fucking need to. More than anything else it needs to be done. No it is not a cure for poverty but people need to hear a clearly articulated counter point to the message of CONSUME! that is shoved down their throats every waking moment. They need to hear it loud clear and often and from a young age. Because as long as people continue to insist on plunking down their retirement savings and emergency money on iPads, Calvin Klein, and Burger King the near poor will stay near poor. But you cant really drive corporate profits when people act responsibly so I'll go yell in the corner until I'm blue in the face now.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Col. Crackpot wrote:people continue to insist on plunking down their retirement savings and emergency money on iPads, Calvin Klein, and Burger King
I mean, I thought home equity loans sounded fishy/bad, but who plunks down retirement/emergency savings on this?

I mean, granted, I could have put the money I paid for a tablet towards savings, but I am (well, I was) honestly considering developing for it for practice.

But is the average person really that fiscally irresponsible? What percentage of the population honestly engages in the abovementioned practices?
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Dave wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:people continue to insist on plunking down their retirement savings and emergency money on iPads, Calvin Klein, and Burger King
I mean, I thought home equity loans sounded fishy/bad, but who plunks down retirement/emergency savings on this?

I mean, granted, I could have put the money I paid for a tablet towards savings, but I am (well, I was) honestly considering developing for it for practice.

But is the average person really that fiscally irresponsible? What percentage of the population honestly engages in the abovementioned practices?
Not retirement savings per se, but money that should be allocated to long term savings and not crap purchases. I see it so often it sickens and saddens me.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

This is why I...

Only upgrade technology when I need to.

My last desktop lasted me 5 years, and my last TV a little over 10. (it was replaced for a similiar sized flat-screen)
We got a chest freezer so when food is on sale, we buy food to fill up the freezer. Guess what that does? Saving on the food bill.

I don't buy things on credit unless I have the money in the bank to pay for them, or it's no interest for 6 months or the like (and then I pay them off within those 6 months). This includes E-bay purchases. And I don't buy anything until AFTER I've paid the mortgage and my bills this month.

I don't let my bank account go below a certain minimum except in emergencies. Then I don't buy anything unneeded until the bank acount is back ABOVE that minimum and a few hundred more.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That said, Crackpot, I suspect you're dealing with one hell of a selection bias. I'm sure there's a residuum of natural born damn fools who just will not stop buying gadgets even when they're living paycheck to paycheck. And if you provide financial counseling in a bank, you probably run into them a lot. But how many are there, versus people who live responsibly and yet cannot haul themselves out of the hole they're in?

Broomstick posted this in the first place, and if you've been following her posts for the past few years she's an excellent example of the problem. Disabled husband, work skills that are mostly out of date (but were great employment guarantees in the 1970s and 1980s when she got them), self-employed for a long time in a line of work that doesn't attract much interest on a resume. And she's been treading water, but only barely and only by virtue of having a lot socked away before the recession hit. As she says, if she suddenly ran into a serious, four-figure financial setback for medical reasons, or if a car gets wrecked or something, she's screwed.

Is this somehow a sign that she's been irresponsible? Exactly how many years' living expenses was she supposed to have saved up In Case Of Economic Collapse so that she could scrape by through her fifties and sixties doing part-time jobs at semi-skilled labor? How far ahead of time was she supposed to see the need to do this coming?

This recession has hit enough people hard enough to screw you over, even if you have, say, a year of living expenses saved up, plus retirement savings- and isn't it a hell of a note when people who've been saving up for retirement suddenly have to start dipping into those savings to buy food and medicine when they're fifty-something? Where's that money going to be in 2030, when they can't work, even if there are jobs available by then?

But that level of savings is about what someone would have advised you to have in the bank in 2000 or 2005.

That's important to grasp- even people who were not stupid or irresponsible, who followed the mainstream financial advice through the '90s and '00s about risk sensitivity, savings, and all the rest, can still be doing very badly in an economy like this. Especially if they draw a bad hand.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Health expenses is probably the most important. A short visit to the ER and then hospitalisation for a heart attack will cost you over 1 thousand US dollars in that first day. If you needed a PDCA, then it becomes thousands..... Throw in antibiotics and whatnot and you're easily looking at tens of thousands of dollar bills for a 2 week stay.

Even if it wasn't a medical emergency, the 4-6% spent on medical bills for household expenses is still quite misleading IMO. Not all medical bills are the same. Diabetes can cost a hundred dollars to maintain afterall.

Broomstick herself has documented her difficulties in going for health checkups, vaccination jabs which are critical to her being able to look for employment.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

PainRack wrote:Health expenses is probably the most important. A short visit to the ER and then hospitalisation for a heart attack will cost you over 1 thousand US dollars in that first day. If you needed a PDCA, then it becomes thousands..... Throw in antibiotics and whatnot and you're easily looking at tens of thousands of dollar bills for a 2 week stay.

Even if it wasn't a medical emergency, the 4-6% spent on medical bills for household expenses is still quite misleading IMO. Not all medical bills are the same. Diabetes can cost a hundred dollars to maintain afterall.

Broomstick herself has documented her difficulties in going for health checkups, vaccination jabs which are critical to her being able to look for employment.
Um, Vaccinations aren't required for employment most places in the US, in fact almost nowhere.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

She worked in construction. Tetanus shots, for one, are pretty much required.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Simon_Jester wrote:She worked in construction. Tetanus shots, for one, are pretty much required.
They weren't when I worked in construction. It may depend on the state.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Block wrote: Um, Vaccinations aren't required for employment most places in the US, in fact almost nowhere.
They are if you don't want to die of tetanus. Some employers also just plain won't risk hiring someone who has non up-to-date shots.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Carinthium
BANNED

Post by Carinthium »

Didn't the statistics in Freakanomics demonstrate that poverty tends to be correlated to low intelligence? That does seem to validate the general line of inferior human beings ending up in poverty.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Carinthium wrote:Didn't the statistics in Freakanomics demonstrate that poverty tends to be correlated to low intelligence? That does seem to validate the general line of inferior human beings ending up in poverty.
You know, except that intelligence is correlated with education and that correlates well socioeconomic status. You've got cause and effect backwards.

You can guess the salary of a family by how many words their preschooler knows at entry into school. Educational attainment is almost directly a function of wealth. Would you say they're poor because their kids are dumb? That's about as sensible as saying they're poor because they themselves are dumb.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PeZook wrote:
Block wrote:Um, Vaccinations aren't required for employment most places in the US, in fact almost nowhere.
They are if you don't want to die of tetanus. Some employers also just plain won't risk hiring someone who has non up-to-date shots.
^This. Someone who was giving me work hired me, but wouldn't let me do certain types of work unless I had an up to date tetanus shot. In 2008 after the local tornado and flood, those working on clean up were required to get tetanus shot. At one point I was looking to "crime scene clean up" and that requires vaccinations. The job I applied for at the TSA, had I gotten it, would have likewise required it. Hospitals and nursing homes are more and more often requiring flu vaccinations for their employees (problematic for me, as I am allergic to them).

So the requirement may not be common in YOUR field, but such requirements do, in fact, exist in jobs that are found pretty much everywhere.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PainRack wrote:Health expenses is probably the most important. A short visit to the ER and then hospitalisation for a heart attack will cost you over 1 thousand US dollars in that first day.
No, hon, being in the ER in the US can cost your over a thousand dollars in the first two hours (I speak from experience)
If you needed a PDCA, then it becomes thousands..... Throw in antibiotics and whatnot and you're easily looking at tens of thousands of dollar bills for a 2 week stay.
You don't need 2 weeks to rack up a 5 digit bill in a US hospital.
True. Managing my spouse's conditions is around $800-1000 a month in prescription costs alone. Getting the proper check ups and testing would be on top of that.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Carinthium wrote:Didn't the statistics in Freakanomics demonstrate that poverty tends to be correlated to low intelligence? That does seem to validate the general line of inferior human beings ending up in poverty.
So... you're saying 1/3 of the US is of low intelligence? Holy fuck, don't you think we should find out WHY 1/3 of the population of a first world nation is retarded? 100 million idiots, how the hell did that happen?

Or maybe poverty isn't JUST a matter of a stupidity....?

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Simon_Jester wrote:That said, Crackpot, I suspect you're dealing with one hell of a selection bias. I'm sure there's a residuum of natural born damn fools who just will not stop buying gadgets even when they're living paycheck to paycheck. And if you provide financial counseling in a bank, you probably run into them a lot. But how many are there, versus people who live responsibly and yet cannot haul themselves out of the hole they're in?
Oh absolutely i'm dealing with selection bias. My office is in an urban low income area where 30% of children are born to mothers who lack even a high school diploma. source I see a disproportionately high percentage of these individuals relative to my colleagues. My argument is that inroads can be made in reducing 'near poverty' by providing financial education in schools with special emphasis on high risk children. Emphasis on ares where such a selection bias is evident. Simple Pareto analysis tells us that is where efforts would be most effective. Does it fix everything? No. But let me tell you... when we send volunteers to a high school and give a presentation on credit and budgeting the feedback from faculty is "i wish they paid as much attention every day". Again, there needs to be a loud and well positioned counter message to the one of over consumption that bombards children in all forms of media at every waking moment of their lives.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Broomstick wrote:
So... you're saying 1/3 of the US is of low intelligence? Holy fuck, don't you think we should find out WHY 1/3 of the population of a first world nation is retarded? 100 million idiots, how the hell did that happen?

Not stupidity, though you can't argue that there isn't a link between lack of education and poverty.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Of course there is, but it also goes both ways - poor people can't afford good education, for themselves or their children.
If you are poor and struggling to make ends meet despite working full-time (perhaps at several jobs), then you have neither the time nor the money to improve your education as an adult in order to find better jobs.

And of course you can send your children to public school, but you can't afford museum visits or education trips or additional reading material. And you can't hire a private tutor if your child is struggling in a specific subject, and you'll probably be short on time to help your child yourself too.
All those things undoubtedly help with the education of a child, and all those things are much less available to poor parents than they are to rich parents. And that doesn't even go into the issue of college expenses - those are things that will ensure that your child is well-read and interested in learning, and they are just harder for poor parents.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The issue of the children is one thing - but there is also the matter of adults. The opportunities for adults to get either remedial education or retraining are appallingly few in this country. If you haven't gotten sufficient education by 18 you're screwed. Since the educational status of adults has a significant impact on the educational status of children this is important, and related. Also, an adult who is poor but educated is much more likely to climb out of poverty than someone without education (take my own example - I am climbing out of poverty, even if slowly, because I am educated enough to make good choices and use of resources). Adequate retraining opportunities will allow people such as myself, whose jobs skills became obsolete, to either avoid or end their poverty.

The whole individualistic, sink-or-swim attitude has its limits. At some point society's best interests are served by helping others.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Broomstick wrote:No, hon, being in the ER in the US can cost your over a thousand dollars in the first two hours (I speak from experience)
My dear, I'm quoting from a study that was done in the States, regarding hospital expense from visiting an ER http://www.consumerhealthratings.com/in ... cat_id=274
True. Managing my spouse's conditions is around $800-1000 a month in prescription costs alone. Getting the proper check ups and testing would be on top of that.
Oops. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot, my diabetes cost is just for the glucose monitoring alone. Insulin would cost another bomb on top of that, even "cheap" metformin or etc would cost tens of dollars a month for generics..... and that's ignoring the doctor visit to get the prescription.

Hell, even for glucose monitoring, this ignores the one off cost of actually purchasing the non consumable bulk items...
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

In the US you can get glucose monitors for free or nearly so these days - the companies know they'll more than recoup the cost due to the consumables needing to be purchased.

Carinthium
BANNED

Post by Carinthium »

You know, except that intelligence is correlated with education and that correlates well socioeconomic status. You've got cause and effect backwards.

You can guess the salary of a family by how many words their preschooler knows at entry into school. Educational attainment is almost directly a function of wealth. Would you say they're poor because their kids are dumb? That's about as sensible as saying they're poor because they themselves are dumb.
1- How can you demonstrate that it's socio-economic status which comes first, not intelligence?
2- I'm suggesting the idea that they're poor because THEY are dumb. I'm not arguing too strongly for it because I'm not certain, but you haven't refuted the idea.
Broomstick wrote:

The possible state of affairs I am suggesting is something along the lines of:
-Relative wealth is caused to a large degree by differences in intelligence
-In times of recession or economic hardship, the amount of intellect needed to avoid poverty goes up

I'm not disputing the actual statistics about poor and near-poor. I'm pointing out that there may be a degree of merit to who ends up poor and who doesn't.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Do you think it's that predictable- that all the people with IQs of 90 or below lose their jobs in a recession and are unable to find new ones, while all the people with IQs of 110 or 120 are able to stay employed? Do you think that having a higher IQ makes it likely that you'll find cheap health insurance if your employer stops offering it?

If so, I'd love to hear you explain how this is supposed to work reliably, given that many of the mechanisms that decide how much money you need to live are independent of intelligence, and given how many reasonably intelligent people have trouble finding work these days.

If not, then it would seem likely that the paycheck-to-paycheck crowd would contain a mix of all kinds of different demographics, including both smart and stupid people.