Fox News Viewers Are Retarded

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Fox News Viewers Are Retarded

Post by Flagg »

HUFFPO
Fox News Viewers Know Less Than People Who Don't Watch Any News: Study

Fox News viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news, according to a new poll from Fairleigh Dickinson University.

The poll surveyed New Jersey residents about the uprisings in Egypt and the Middle East, and where they get their news sources. The study, which controlled for demographic factors like education and partisanship, found that "people who watch Fox News are 18-points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government" and "6-points less likely to know that Syrians have not yet overthrown their government" compared to those who watch no news.

Overall, 53% of all respondents knew that Egyptians successfully overthrew Hosni Mubarak and 48% knew that Syrians have yet to overthrow their government.

Dan Cassino, a political science professor at Fairleigh Dickinson, explained in a statement, "Because of the controls for partisanship, we know these results are not just driven by Republicans or other groups being more likely to watch Fox News. Rather, the results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions than those who don’t watch any news at all."

This isn't the first study that has found that Fox News viewers more misinformed in comparison to others. Last year, a study from the University of Maryland found that Fox News viewers were more likely to believe false information about politics.
Too bad you can't use false advertising laws to make them relabel their channel so they can't use the word "News".
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Fox News Viewers Are Retarded

Post by Lonestar »

Flagg wrote:Too bad you can't use false advertising laws to make them relabel their channel so they can't use the word "News".
Hey Flagg, the HuffPo story didn't cover it...who came in second out of least knowlegable, out of curiosity?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Did this study look into how knowledgeable people who watch other news are, or is it just a load of liberal wank?
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

evilsoup wrote:Did this study look into how knowledgeable people who watch other news are, or is it just a load of liberal wank?

It did, and I know the answer. I'm just waiting to see if Flagg will go out and see who the second least knowledgeable group of cable news watchers are. :P

[Hint: I've already trolled Dalton with the answer elsewhere. DON'T WATCH CABLE NEWS KIDS. Listen to your local NPR station!]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

To be honest, you have to be at least partially retarded to be able to survive watching Fox News for more than ten minutes.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I agree, the only possible explanation for people having different political beliefs to me is that they are mentally sub-normal.
:wtf:

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I'm referring to the news anchor. I was never able to stand the news anchor. Ever.

The stupidity hurts my brain.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

And yet when Flagg posts retarded, dishonest shit like this you nod your head happily.

Fox News viewers are from the same political position as the news station, so they nod and smile to the retarded and dishonest shit on Fox News.

I know they're frustrating (and some American right-wingers are certifiable), but just dismissing them as 'retards' will inevitably lead you to underestimate your political opponents.

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I don't underestimate them. What they say sometimes hurts my brain when I'm not really in the mood for it. By hurting my brain, I also mean that some of the more confusing shit they pull gives me headaches.

And I'm autistic, so headaches + mild ASD = bad.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I can understand that, I personally never watch Fox News except in clips on the internet demonstrating how shitty it is. But you called the viewers retarded, and I disagree with that evaluation. They might be misguided and ill-educated (though of course, that's not all of them, and I know plenty of wishy-washy liberals who are just as ignorant as their conservative counterparts), but 'retarded'? No.

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I don't think you're getting what I mean anyway. I'm saying that the Fox News channel is full of shit hurts my brain, and likely other people's brains as well. I didn't say that everyone who watches Fox News is retarded.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

KhorneFlakes wrote:To be honest, you have to be at least partially retarded to be able to survive watching Fox News for more than ten minutes.

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

...Right. I'm not gonna bother. Reading that again, I just realized I've gone and failed to get what I actually mean across. Again.

This is why I hate headaches.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

evilsoup wrote:And yet when Flagg posts retarded, dishonest shit like this you nod your head happily.
Its Different When We Do It. ;)
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

To be frank, this is quite obvious.
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:To be frank, this is quite obvious.
Indeed. The first time I saw Fox News for myself I was like "this shit is supposed to be the news?". All the pompous, bombastic CGI swagger typical of USian news broadcasts is dialled up to 11 on there, and the resulting effect is a combination of a sense of unreality (the whole broadcast looks like something out of a film or computer game) plus some serious dystopian overtones, especially if the subject has anything to do with typical Fox viewers' pet hates.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lonestar wrote:
Flagg wrote:Too bad you can't use false advertising laws to make them relabel their channel so they can't use the word "News".
Hey Flagg, the HuffPo story didn't cover it...who came in second out of least knowlegable, out of curiosity?

Probably MSNBC as all they cover is politics 24/7.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Uh, in case anybody gets the wrong idea, my comment was meant to be facetious...
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

evilsoup wrote:And yet when Flagg posts retarded, dishonest shit like this you nod your head happily.

Fox News viewers are from the same political position as the news station, so they nod and smile to the retarded and dishonest shit on Fox News.

I know they're frustrating (and some American right-wingers are certifiable), but just dismissing them as 'retards' will inevitably lead you to underestimate your political opponents.
Did you read the article, retard? It states that they are less knowledgeable about facts. It has nothing to do with ideology, it has to do with the fact that they are ignorant of the world around them. Go fuck a horse.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

I love that people who watch the Daily show get it right far more than the other cable news sources.
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

By the same reasoning Flagg demands Fox no longer should call themselves "news" I demand The Daily Show should no longer call themselves "comedy".
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Flagg wrote:Probably MSNBC as all they cover is politics 24/7.
We don't call ourselves The Place for Politics for nothing.

Seriously, we do cover a lot of general news over the course of the day, but primaries are heating up and we're shifting gears a little.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Dalton wrote:
Flagg wrote:Probably MSNBC as all they cover is politics 24/7.
We don't call ourselves The Place for Politics for nothing.

Seriously, we do cover a lot of general news over the course of the day, but primaries are heating up and we're shifting gears a little.

Well yeah, you guys are up front about being a relatively liberal politics oriented news outlet. Fox is a rightwing propaganda channel that claims to be fair and balanced.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

You haven't answered Lonestar's question, Flagg.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Count Chocula wrote:You haven't answered Lonestar's question, Flagg.
How could you miss this? wrote:Probably MSNBC as all they cover is politics 24/7.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums