Australia now passes carbon tax

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Australia now passes carbon tax

Post by mr friendly guy »

linky
PARLIAMENT today approved a new era of environmental and economic management, 27 years after climate change was first mentioned in Parliament, seven years after the first moves to penalise carbon emissions.

Julia Gillard called it history-making; Tony Abbott said it was a betrayal.

“This history-making vote turns years of discussion into a reality,'' the Prime Minister said.

Ms Gillard said that from today Australia would address the problems of climate change including “extreme weather'' such as big floods and storms.

She said it was the right thing for the nation's future and would provide jobs for our children.

Ms Gillard dismissed Opposition threats as “huffing and puffing'' and questioned whether a Coalition government would repeal the laws.

“All of that is to disguise the fact they have their fingers crossed behind their backs,'' she said.

Treasurer Wayne Swan said it was a victory for optimists and a defeat for nay-sayers and praised the tough-as-nails stance of the Prime Minister.

However, not all agreed.

Abbott blasts "toxic tax" from London

The Prime Minister and her Government have “confirmed in law their betrayal of the Australian people,” Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said.

He again vowed to end it by getting a mandate at the next election.

The Opposition leader issued a statement from London blasting passage of the “toxic tax'' which was “based on a lie from a Prime Minister who promised six days before the last election there will be no carbon tax under the Government I lead''.

“This new tax is a blow to the future of Australian manufacturing and a new burden for families struggling under cost-of-living increases. The tax will increase but the so-called compensation will not.''

Mr Abbott said the Government's own figures showed three million Australian households will be worse off under the scheme and many dual-income families will be worse off.

“The longer this tax is in place, the worse the consequences for the economy, jobs and families. It will drive up the cost-of-living, threaten jobs and do nothing for the environment,'' he said.

“In the absence of action by other nations, all that the Gillard Government has done today is export jobs and emissions overseas. Julia Gillard has no mandate from the people for this new tax.

“At the next election, I will seek a mandate from the Australian people to repeal this tax.

“The Coalition's position is principled, it is clear to all and it will free the economy from the red tape, costs and job losses that the carbon tax will produce.”

"Let the voice of money do the talking"

Independent Rob Oakeshott, who will have to defend his backing for the new laws at the coming election, said it was time for politicians to get out of the way.

“There is a lot of investment money waiting to come into the domestic market alongside what is already happening in international carbon trading," Mr Oakeshott said.

"I am excited by the enthusiasm of many people in business who are ready to hit the go button.

"Without doubt, there is a lot of market interest in the Emissions Trading Scheme, and it is now time for the dispassionate voice of money in a free-market economy to do the talking."

There were cheers and applause from the Senate gallery and grumpiness on Opposition benches after the chamber voted on what Liberal Senator Eric Abetz called the “Orwellian-named'' Clean Energy Future bills.

The figures

After 26 hours of debate the 18 bills were passed in a division 36-32, with Labor and the Greens siding against the Opposition, independent Nick Xenophon and the DLP's John Madigan.

It is now certain that the carbon pricing scheme will be the central issue at the next election, no matter the party leaders, with the Coalition determined to scrap the laws.

The new legislation will penalise big companies for carbon pollution emissions at a fixed rate of $23 a tonne for three years, with the market to set the size of the penalty after that.

Industry is expected to pass on to consumers the cost of cleaning up production, and the Government has a range of compensation payments for low and medium income earners.

Greens Leader Bob Brown said the package of laws was “timid and short of the mark'' but forecast: “People 50, 500 years from now will thank us.''

The Nationals Barnaby Joyce had a grimmer forecast: “People will be poorer.''

The carbon pricing regime will start in July next year but the first many Australians will be directly aware of it will be in May and June when advance compensation payments will be made to those on welfare.

About 1.9 million families and about 3.4 million pensioners will receive an increase in their payments, and more than 7.5 million people will receive a tax cut under the compensation scheme to cover rises in household expenses.

The Government will provide part of the first year's assistance as an up-front payment to to those receiving household assistance through pensions and family payments.

Each Clean Energy Advance payment will cover a period of six, nine or 12 months, depending on the indexation cycle of the payment.

People will then start receiving fortnightly Clean Energy Supplements along with their regular Government payments immediately after the end of the period covered by their Advance payments.
I will make this easy for the climate change deniers.

Whine whine whine

1. But China isn't going to introduce one. We will be disadvantaged.

Except they are
Reuters wrote:An official from the NDRC had said in April that China would pilot six emissions trading schemes by 2013, and set up a national trading platform by 2015.
2. Well, India isn't planning to introduce one.

You are correct. They aren't planning to introduce one, because they already have. In 2010.

Remember guys, our media is freeTM so it must be better than those other non free countries. Granted they are lazy and incompetent, unable to do in several weeks what I managed to find out in five minutes of googling, but whatever.

Now we just need to wait for some idiot to appeal to Lord Monckton or some shit.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Re: Australia now passes carbon tax

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Amusingly our best media is the state sponsored abc

Turns out when your funding is guaranteed you can actually do real journalism, and when you do real journalism you can destroy any government thus guaranteeing your funding :v

Edit; legislatively enshrined editorial independence helps too.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Barnaby Joyce's reaction:
Barnaby Joyce: The Michael Jackson trial is Hollywood and this carbon tax is pure Hollywood.
I have stared at this sentence for a few minutes, and still have no idea what the hell Barnaby Joyce is talking about. This is the same guy who opposes gay marriage because it will somehow stop his daughters from getting married.

It occurs to me that this clown must struggle with simple tasks like doing up his fly without getting his dick caught.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

But... news.com.au tells me that the Carbon tax is evil and will kill babies or something! You're telling me that the Murdoch press isn't being truthful??!!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

bobalot wrote:Barnaby Joyce's reaction:
Barnaby Joyce: The Michael Jackson trial is Hollywood and this carbon tax is pure Hollywood.
I have stared at this sentence for a few minutes, and still have no idea what the hell Barnaby Joyce is talking about. This is the same guy who opposes gay marriage because it will somehow stop his daughters from getting married.

It occurs to me that this clown must struggle with simple tasks like doing up his fly without getting his dick caught.
I am going to guess that he uses the term Hollywood to refer to fakery, since I hear this term sometimes used in football when the commentator believes the player is faking an infringement to get a free kick. Presumably if the tax was fake, Joyce wouldn't be bitching about a fake tax. So he must be referring in his own round about way to the rationale for the tax. Not surprising consider his own leader once said climate change is bullshit (then changed his views when no longer useful, and now says a tax to combat climate change is bullshit). Naturally Joyce won't debate the science, because he is an idiot.

[edit]- since Joyce also refers to the Michael Jackson trial as Hollywood, presumably he thinks either Michael Jackson didn't really die or its ok for Doctors to prescribe willy nilly drugs like propofol (which is mainly used for anaesthetic in surgeries) to help someone sleep. Good lord, don't let this idiot in charge of our health system.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

I'll have a shot that he means it's a whole heap of razzle-dazzle and show, with no real substance. That it wont do anything to help, perhaps (remember, that has been a prime Coalition accusation), just a lot of noise (and pain), with nothing real to show after it's all over.
Anyway, that's enough trying to mind-meld with Joyce. I don't believe any successful politician is stupid, but I will believe selfish, self-centred, and self-indulgent.

Abbot's promise to get rid of the tax is an interesting one. A couple of political analysts were talking about how difficult that would actually be. Winning government isn't enough, you've also got to convince the Senate, a senate currently controlled by the Greens and according to the analysts almost certain to remain as such after the next election. If that's the case, he could need a double dissolution (I'm sure most governments, having been just voted in, are really enthusiastic about going straight to another election years early).
Of course, the money from the tax is paying for income tax cuts, welfare rises, and supperannuation increases. Abott has I believe promised to keep all of those, but hasn't quite explained where the money for them will then be coming from. Other than the customary airy hand wave of "cutting waste", something I belive all voters have by now heard often enough to no longer believe.
There will also be untangling the laws, carbon permits written and paid for, businesses that have planned the next decade ahead with the tax in mind...
I'll be surprised, PM Abbot or not, if the tax goes away.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Pfft, he doesn't have to deliver on it, just promise it. Then when he attains power sternly explain to the Australian public that Gillard had made it impossible to remove etc etc, now look over there. BOATS!
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage