Russia's Medvedev backs Putin for another presidential run

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Russia's Medvedev backs Putin for another presidential run

Post by Lord Zentei »

CNN wrote:Moscow (CNN) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev called on the ruling United Russia party Saturday to endorse Prime Minister Vladimir Putin for president in 2012.

Putin in turn suggested that Medvedev should take over the role of prime minister if the party wins parliamentary elections in December, in what would be a straight swap of roles.

Putin has already served two terms as the country's president from 2000 to 2008.

It had not been clear until now whether Medvedev, his protege, would seek to run for a second term in presidential elections due to take place in March, fueling months of speculation.

Addressing the party congress in Moscow, Medvedev said he wanted to answer the important question of who would be the party's presidential candidate -- and that he believed it should be Putin, the party's chairman.

The ruling party's endorsement makes it highly likely that Putin will be returned to the country's top office, observers say.

Medvedev's remarks were interrupted by applause as the crowd gave Putin a standing ovation.

"This applause spares me the need to explain what experience and authority Vladimir Putin possesses," Medvedev said.

He explained the long delay in making clear which of them would run for president next year as an issue of "political expediency," saying they had to play by the rules of politics.

Medvedev, who said he accepted Putin's proposal that he stand for prime minister, said the government had succeeded in restoring a country that had been in "a deep decline, in a systemic crisis" a decade ago.

"By our common efforts we've managed to preserve and restore our beloved fatherland, our Russia. And we will not give it back to anyone," he said.

"We will not give it back to those who want to destroy it, to those who deceive people by giving them empty and unfeasible slogans and promises."

In his own speech, Putin said it was a great honor to run for president and that his voice of command "is not lost."

He said he wanted to see economic growth in Russia increase to 6-7% in the near future. In the next five years, Russia should be among the five most powerful economies in the world, he said.

Putin also set out the task of fully rearming the Russian armed forces in the next five to 10 years.

Putin said he was sure the United Russia party, whose election ticket will be headed by Medvedev, would win December's parliamentary elections.

Medvedev would "be able to build a new, efficiently-functioning and young team of managers, and lead the government so as to continue modernization of all aspects of our lives," Putin added.

For more than two years, Putin and Medvedev have repeatedly said they would decide together which of them would run for the Russian presidency in 2012, fanning the flames of intrigue.

Even during his time as prime minister, Putin has been widely perceived as the senior member of the Russian "ruling tandem."

Putin had stepped down in 2008 because the Russian constitution at that time limited a president to two consecutive four-year terms.

Under amendments to the constitution that came into force on December 31, 2008, the presidential term was extended to six years.

This means that if Putin is elected in March 2012 for six years, he would be eligible to run for another six-year term after that, potentially keeping him in charge until 2024.

Under the same constitutional amendments the term for parliament members was extended from four to five years.

Currently, the United Russia controls more than 300 seats in the 450-seat State Duma, the lower chamber of the Russian parliament.

More than 10,000 people attended the party congress, held in Moscow's Luzhniki Sports Arena.
Putin backed to president again! I'm shocked! Shocked and amazed! :-o

This probably doesn't count as "news". But it's still "Politics", that's why it's here. :wink:
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Russia's Medvedev backs Putin for another presidential r

Post by Stofsk »

As far as ruthless authoritarian strongmen go, Putin at least is... interesting?

Sorry I got nothing.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If anybody is surprised about this then he has been living under a rock.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Stofsk wrote:As far as ruthless authoritarian strongmen go, Putin at least is... interesting?

Sorry I got nothing.
Well.... In addition to enriching himself and his little junta, Putin seems to be fairly capable at governing Russia - no mean feat - and eliminating corruption (except when the corruption is to his benefit, in which case he's all for it). And anything that keeps the LDPR from actually influencing the way the country functions is probably a good thing, unless they've gotten less crazy since the last time I looked at Russian politics.

But, yeah. Anything that you have to preface with "for a ruthless authoritarian strongman," is damning with faint praise.

Oh, and he's good at judo. :P
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

So, what, Putin and Medvedev are playing tag-team presidency or someshit?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Essentially. Nobody who knows anything about Russian politics didn't see this coming. Medvedev's job was to keep Putin's chair warm while he sat out the four years the constitution requires.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I like him so far. Compared to other men of great power who have ruled Russia in the past he seems nice enough.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Stas Bush will smack you upside the head for that, all of you. :P

The only difference Putin has from any other corrupt leader is his ridiculous PR. That's pretty much it, I think.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Stas Bush will smack you upside the head for that, all of you. :P

The only difference Putin has from any other corrupt leader is his ridiculous PR. That's pretty much it, I think.
Have you forgotten Dear Leader Little Kim?
No the difference between Putin and other corrupt leaders is the fact he's A. Very good at the corruption business. B. His propaganda is excellent and paints him as the essential Russian man rather than Superman. It's what W tried but failed so badly at because he looked silly when he tried to do heroic looking things while if Putin decided to ride shirtless on his trusty steed through the woods, corrupt or not he looks good doing it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, having judo matches transmitted live and firing nuclear missiles makes you look better than clearing bushes with a chainsaw.

Also, Bush lacked the hot girls.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

He looks to stay in power until 2024 as things look now by which time he'll be 72 years old. I wonder if he's going to get all decrepit and senile and become a joke like Brezhnev in his final years.
Mr Bean wrote:Have you forgotten Dear Leader Little Kim?
No the difference between Putin and other corrupt leaders is the fact he's A. Very good at the corruption business. B. His propaganda is excellent and paints him as the essential Russian man rather than Superman. It's what W tried but failed so badly at because he looked silly when he tried to do heroic looking things while if Putin decided to ride shirtless on his trusty steed through the woods, corrupt or not he looks good doing it.
No actually he looked like a fucking moron. Riding shirtless. Wrestling tigers. Saving bears. Finding amphoras. It's fucking pathetic and for some reason the same westernes who would deride that sort of PR stunts as appalling if it came from their own leaders somehow they think it looks good for Putin.
Honestly try to imagine Putin as a leader of your own country whether US, UK, France or Germany. You still think those stunts look good? If yes why?
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If Germany were rapidly approaching a banana republic with a strong history of personal cults you might have a point here.

Point is, nobody expects any better from Russia and Putin does look better than Bush. Still pathetic, but better looking.
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

If they don't work on you Kane that's because they don't work on you. I don't know if you know this but the right wing here in America DID eat up the fake image of W riding around his farm which he bought as a political prop and sold less than a year after he was out of office. Despite the fact that it was a prop and it was obvious people still bought it.

Just as people buy this

Just because you personally buy into something you can call the 25-40% of Russians who look at that and think "yep that's genuine".

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Thanas wrote:If Germany were rapidly approaching a banana republic with a strong history of personal cults you might have a point here.

Point is, nobody expects any better from Russia and Putin does look better than Bush. Still pathetic, but better looking.
How does he look better? He's a short bald guy and has no muscle tone. He looks how you would expect a 50 something to look.
My point is people should still demand better from Russia and Putin precisely since he is running an approaching banana republic.
Mr Bean wrote:If they don't work on you Kane that's because they don't work on you. I don't know if you know this but the right wing here in America DID eat up the fake image of W riding around his farm which he bought as a political prop and sold less than a year after he was out of office. Despite the fact that it was a prop and it was obvious people still bought it.
I'm not saying I'm completely unsusceptible to such imagery but there is riding a horse on a ranch and there is diving into water and wow finding pricless amphoras!By riding a horse Bush was simply trying to project a certain image, he wasn't actually claiming some accomplishment. Riding a horse isn't some extraordinary activity, millions of people do it. Putin on the other hand is saving tigers, finding archaeological artifacts, dolphins like him, diving to the bottom of the lake, hot student girls want to have sex with him etc.
It's so unsubtle and over the top it would be rejected as a first draft of Beatty's Bulworth.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I remember seeing a political cartoon of Russia's leaders starting with Lenin. Halfway through, it starts alternating between progressively-older versions of Putin and Medvedev.

Basically from the minute Medvedev stepped in and Putin became PM, it was all but guaranteed Putin would make a comeback.

I wonder, has the years of economic issues hurt Putin's image in Russia at all? Or is Medvedev largely a scapegoat for all that?

Edit - here's the cartoon I was thinking of

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kane Starkiller wrote:How does he look better? He's a short bald guy and has no muscle tone.
Putin looks quite muscular and is in good shape.
My point is people should still demand better from Russia and Putin precisely since he is running an approaching banana republic.
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where anybody called for people to stop lambasting him for his obvious failure because the photos look shiny.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

TC Pilot wrote:I remember seeing a political cartoon of Russia's leaders starting with Lenin. Halfway through, it starts alternating between progressively-older versions of Putin and Medvedev.

Basically from the minute Medvedev stepped in and Putin became PM, it was all but guaranteed Putin would make a comeback.

I wonder, has the years of economic issues hurt Putin's image in Russia at all? Or is Medvedev largely a scapegoat for all that?

Edit - here's the cartoon I was thinking of
The cartoon is awesome because it perfectly shows the "Bald/Hair" paradigm of Russian leaders, that ever other leader is either bald, or a full head of hair.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanas wrote:
Kane Starkiller wrote:How does he look better? He's a short bald guy and has no muscle tone.
Putin looks quite muscular and is in good shape.
And speaking as a grappler, that guy has a crazy good rep and is damn impressive on the judo front. That's not just PR.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Out of interest, is there any particular reason Putin didn't go down the usual dictator route of getting the constitution changed so he can be elected President for Life? Is it only to maintain the illusion that he cares about rule of law?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I do believe that Putin either would not like the hassle (most likely) or is one of those rulers in the mold of Louis XIV - megalomaniac but still somewhat patriotic (less likely but not out of the question with him).
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Archaic` wrote:Out of interest, is there any particular reason Putin didn't go down the usual dictator route of getting the constitution changed so he can be elected President for Life? Is it only to maintain the illusion that he cares about rule of law?
No need to bother himself as the Constitution says you can be President for only eight years before having to take a four year break. With him holding the PM spot and a good lackey holding the Presidency there's no reason to become an in name dictator when he can stay one in fact. After all the way it's set up he can take four year vacations if he wishes why change the constitution when it sounds like a pretty sweet deal?

TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:The cartoon is awesome because it perfectly shows the "Bald/Hair" paradigm of Russian leaders, that ever other leader is either bald, or a full head of hair.
I'm pretty sure the words are "bald" and "hairy" (or something similar), so I believe that was a dual purpose of the cartoon, yes.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Well better Putin than the neo-Stalinists of the Communist Party.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

General Mung Beans wrote:Well better Putin than the neo-Stalinists of the Communist Party.
Thanks Einstein for that wonderful contribution.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Get off his nuts. Either show how he is wrong or stop posting one-liner spam that consists of nothing but a huge giant ad hominem.
------------
------------
My LPs