Saddam is purging Kirkuk at this very moment.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Saddam is purging Kirkuk at this very moment.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... g_kirkuk_1

- Ethnic cleansing courtesy of the Chirac - Schroeder concept of having our troops intimidate Saddam into letting the Inspectors work. Naturally, Saddam wants to fortify his borders with an army sitting next to them like that, and the result is this.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Ethnic cleansing? You did READ the article, didn't you?

"stories about why they fled the city of Kirkuk: a tightening noose of searches, harassment and arrests by Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s forces in the strategic oil center."

"Saddam has turned it into a military camp."

"An escalating campaign of house-to-house searches and detentions of suspected underground resistance supporters apparently has accelerated the Kurdish flight from Kirkuk"

"But they suggest Iraqi soldiers are fortifying positions at one of the potential key battlefields and trying to root out any perceived threats among the majority Kurds"

"Kirkuk could become a pivotal point in a U.S.-led attack."

"Walid Rashid, a 24-year-old Kurdish metal-shop worker in Kirkuk, said Iraqi forces were building earthen and concrete mounds and digging trenches in anticipation of an attack. Additional anti-aircraft batteries are in place, but no tanks have been seen in the city, he added."

"So far, the Iraqi forces have not blocked the route north to the Kurdish enclave. But Kurds in Kirkuk fear their avenue out could be closed if diplomatic efforts to avert war are exhausted."

"How could we remain? Saddam's military is everywhere in Kirkuk," he said. "In a war, it could become a very bloody place."

Hell, even the TITLE says: "Kurds Say Oil Center Now a Military Camp"

Notice also that the Kurds are going from one part of the country, to the other. Would you prefer that the Iraqis keep the Kurds there as human shields? Or are you now an advocate for Kurdistan?

You've confused background filler in the article about Kurd/Arab resettlement carried out by Iraq with the actual story.

Out of curiosity, would you advocate for Turkey to stop it's persecution of the Kurds? What's the difference between Iraq and Turkey in that regard?

The idea that this is somehow France and Germany's fault is also totally lame, Duchess- I don't see French and German troops on Iraq's border, do you? :roll: If it's *any other country's fault*, you get one guess as to who is about to invade.
Last edited by Vympel on 2003-03-15 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Anyone want to bet, that there will be NO human rights protestors chanting anti Saddam slogans :roll:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Ethnic cleansing is different from genocide - It's removing an ethnicity from an area, which can involve either deportations or mass murder. This does fit into the first category - Saddam's men are driving the Kurds out of Kirkuk.

Furthermore, this would not be happening if Saddam had been already removed. The reason it is happening is because of this idiotic theory Chirac and Schroeder have: that if American troops sit on the borders to Iraq, it will intimidate Saddam into allowing the inspectors to work freely. However, as American troops sit on the borders, Saddam is responding by taking defensive measures like this one.

The Chirac/Schroeder method of disarmament - albeit indirectly - is leading to ethnic cleansing. Had we ignored the UN and gone in during last November, this would not be happening. Had the French and Germans not held us up in the Council, this would not be happening. But they have, because of their own stupid arrogance, and this is the result.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

theski wrote:Anyone want to bet, that there will be NO human rights protestors chanting anti Saddam slogans :roll:
There have been plenty of human rights protesting about Saddam Hussein and other regimes. If you were to contend that the US ever gave a shit about any human rights protesting, I point to its propping up and support of the murderous Pinochet regime.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Ethnic cleansing is different from genocide - It's removing an ethnicity from an area, which can involve either deportations or mass murder. This does fit into the first category - Saddam's men are driving the Kurds out of Kirkuk.
:roll:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but Hell, I would do the same thing...fortify
an area that's known to have lots of people who FUCKING HATE MY GUTS,
and drive them out of the area so they'll be dispersed, rather than in mass
groups..

And your definition of "Ethnic cleansing" is so loose that it could be used
to apply to how whites systematically have fled the inner cities for the last 30+ years
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Vympel, Since the march to war in Nov show me just 1 human rights protester that is anti Sadamm in the media just 1 and I can go back to plotting the fall of France.. :wink:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Ethnic cleansing is different from genocide - It's removing an ethnicity from an area, which can involve either deportations or mass murder. This does fit into the first category - Saddam's men are driving the Kurds out of Kirkuk.
There is no evidence of any 'ethnic cleansing' in that article- again, I say, you didn't read it. Kurds are fleeing because they know the place will turn into a warzone. How this is France and Germany's fault I have no idea. It is also an inevitable consequence of wars, which France and Germany do not plan to start.
Furthermore, this would not be happening if Saddam had been already removed.
What a load of bullshit. It would've happened earlier instead of later. The movement of populations in anticipation of, or during a war, is not new.
The reason it is happening is because of this idiotic theory Chirac and Schroeder have: that if American troops sit on the borders to Iraq, it will intimidate Saddam into allowing the inspectors to work freely. However, as American troops sit on the borders, Saddam is responding by taking defensive measures like this one.
Like you give a shit about inconveniencing the Kurds. They're not being trucked off to the border, they're leaving a veritable warzone and being given free passage to Kurdish enclaves. I ask again- what's the difference between Turkey and Iraq on this matter?
The Chirac/Schroeder method of disarmament - albeit indirectly - is leading to ethnic cleansing.
:roll: Only in the addled brain of a jingoist could the US Army on the border about to invade be peaceful disarmaments fault.
Had we ignored the UN and gone in during last November, this would not be happening.
You didn't have the forces to go in in November. In addition, the buildup for invasion would've been noticed and this would STILL have happened. I also find it amusing that you think this not happening is a GOOD thing. If it didn't happen, a lot of these people would BE DEAD.
Had the French and Germans not held us up in the Council, this would not be happening. But they have, because of their own stupid arrogance, and this is the result.
Actually I think it's your arrogance that you have the absolute audacity to shift the blame for the inevitable effects of a coming war onto the parties trying for peace.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

MKSheppard wrote:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but Hell, I would do the same thing...fortify
an area that's known to have lots of people who FUCKING HATE MY GUTS,
and drive them out of the area so they'll be dispersed, rather than in mass
groups..

And your definition of "Ethnic cleansing" is so loose that it could be used
to apply to how whites systematically have fled the inner cities for the last 30+ years
In other words, you're fully endorsing what Saddam is doing? What Stalin did, Hitler too?!! Remind me to have an assassination team visit your palace when you're turning some third world country into Nazi Deutchland warmed-over. :roll:
Image Image
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote: In other words, you're fully endorsing what Saddam is doing? What Stalin did, Hitler too?!! Remind me to have an assassination team visit your palace when you're turning some third world country into Nazi Deutchland warmed-over. :roll:

So you're saying that Iraq can't fortify it's territories, especially
KNOWN rebellious territories?

Either way, it doesn't matter what they do as they're gonna recieve
a multiple corps-level asskicking of the kind not seen since the
1st PGW.
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2003-03-15 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Oh, and Vympel, please HoS this. It's getting ugly fast!
Image Image
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Oh, and Vympel, please HoS this. It's getting ugly fast!
How so? I don't see any flameage going on. In fact, YOU started the flameage

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Shep, the avatar, isn't this going a bit too far?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Durran Korr wrote:Shep, the avatar, isn't this going a bit too far?
Meh, I'm only keeping it a few days.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Vympel wrote:
There is no evidence of any 'ethnic cleansing' in that article- again, I say, you didn't read it. Kurds are fleeing because they know the place will turn into a warzone. How this is France and Germany's fault I have no idea. It is also an inevitable consequence of wars, which France and Germany do not plan to start.
There is evidence of ethnic cleansing in the article - I just stated what ethnic cleansing is, and anyone can read the article to see how there is - and, furthermore, it is not an inevitable consequence of wars. Many have been accomplished without the dispersal of the populace. Finally, the war has not started yet, so it is clearly not a consequence of the war regardless.

Lastly, what I'm accusing France and Germany of doing is allowing this to happen by turning the innocents in Iraq into pawns. They're pawns for their game of supporting their industrial interests in Iraq, nothing more, and even if Saddam were gassing Kirkuk they wouldn't budge on their positions.

The USA, on the other hand, at least intends to create a democratic government in Iraq - we haven't given any other intention at any rate, and every signal that we will - so whatever interests of our's might be met, we're going in with some care for the populace in mind as well.

France and Germany simply have none. They're letting this happen - massed flight, deportations, massed arrests and torture (inevitable the way the Iraqi "police" system works), the seizure of property to support military works without due recompense - without a murmur.

Those two countries are the biggest and most depraved hypocrisies in the world and you are their lavish supporter, endlessly spinning away the brutal facts while you ignore the humans who are suffering on the ground and take a supposed moral high ground - A moral high ground supported by the offal of Saddam's mangled victims, killed by French and German weapons! People like you deserve to be held in only the lowest contempt, and for all time!

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

It is in pretty poor taste, even for you Shep.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

How about we all sit by the camp HoS? Grab a stick and HoS the marshmellows! Want a nice cup of hot HoS? Please pass the HoS. LMAO
Image Image
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Finally, the war has not started yet, so it is clearly not a consequence of the war regardless.
Bullshit.

The Kurds in that area are moving away because they know they will
become the prime target of Saddam's secret police during the war, and
let's be blunt. That place is a military target. I would NOT want to be on
the roads during the war, especially given the USAF's record of hitting
civilian targets in wartime (Civilian trains in Serbia)

theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

What is this? No one wants Shep to have his constitutional right to free speach and really bad Avatars???
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The hell with free speech, bad taste is bad taste.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Just a little sarcasum!!!!! :wink:
Illuminatus Primus
All Seeing Eye

Post by Illuminatus Primus »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote: In other words, you're fully endorsing what Saddam is doing? What Stalin did, Hitler too?!! Remind me to have an assassination team visit your palace when you're turning some third world country into Nazi Deutchland warmed-over. :roll:
But it is pragmatic and it is sound military defense. Prove atrocities taking place there and then maybe you'll be right.

This is the same bullshit as in Insurrection with the comparison of moving Baku to moving the Indians on the Trail of Tears.

The reason those relocations are bad is because of atrocities.

Demonstrate atrocities, Einy.
"You know what the problem with Hollywood is. They make shit. Unbelievable. Unremarkable. Shit." - Gabriel Shear, Swordfish

"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi in reply to an incredibly stupid post.

The Fifth Illuminatus Primus | Warsie | Skeptical Empiricist | Florida Gator | Sustainability Advocate | Libertarian Socialist |
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Durran Korr wrote:Shep, the avatar, isn't this going a bit too far?
It changed, but I saw it. That picture is from a INWO game card, did you get it from there?
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

MKSheppard wrote: Bullshit.

The Kurds in that area are moving away because they know they will
become the prime target of Saddam's secret police during the war,
Read the fucking article, Shep. They already are a target of Saddam's secret police. You can't hit your dad but you sure as hell can shoot yourself in the foot!
and
let's be blunt. That place is a military target. I would NOT want to be on
the roads during the war, especially given the USAF's record of hitting
civilian targets in wartime (Civilian trains in Serbia)
Twice, no less! They'd be safe in their homes - Our main problems have been in mistaking if moving targets were civilian or military. You just admitted that. So why are they fleeing, instead of staying in what can be readily identified as civilian residences, and thus avoided by an air force that has a much higher percentage of smart bombs in the arsenal than during the Serb War? Because they're being driven out, of course!

You're just taking the opposite side of the argument because you hate me, and your willingness to abandon any pretense of morality - and any shred of military knowledge you might have - just to get in a cheap shot, is painfully and pathetically clear.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

TrailerParkJawa wrote: It changed, but I saw it. That picture is from a INWO game card, did you get it from there?
Yeah, I offered it to wong as a special avatar to give to racist palm-trolling
donkey fuckers like arminus (in addition to their "special" titles) no reply
as of yet...also made a fred phelps avatar for the hopeless fundies