WI GOP, facing recall, propels disenfranchising.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

WI GOP, facing recall, propels disenfranchising.

Post by SirNitram »

Link
Wisconsin Republican Gov. Scott Walker and GOP leaders have launched a push to ram several years' worth of conservative agenda items through the Legislature this spring before recall elections threaten to end the party's control of state government.

Republicans, in a rapid sequence of votes over the next eight weeks, plan to legalize concealed weapons, deregulate the telephone industry, require voters to show photo identification at the polls, expand school vouchers and undo an early release for prisoners.

Lawmakers may also act again on Walker's controversial plan stripping public employee unions of their collective bargaining rights. An earlier version, which led to massive protest demonstrations at the Capitol, has been left in limbo by legal challenges.

"Everything's been accelerated," said Republican Rep. Gary Tauchen, who is working on the photo ID bill. "We've got a lot of big bills we're trying to get done."

The speed-up is the latest move in a tumultuous legislative session that followed last fall's midterm elections in which Republicans won the governorship and control of both houses of the Legislature. In other states where conservatives won major victories, such as Ohio, Florida and Michigan, the GOP has moved more deliberatively.

Walker got off to a fast start in January, passing a slew of measures before he unveiled a two-year budget designed to plug a $3.6 billion shortfall. That legislation, involving deep cuts to a wide range of programs, was expected to consume months. Other measures were on tap for next year. But a three-week boycott by Democrats in the winter and recall efforts targeting nine legislators have changed the strategy.

"They know there's a very strong possibility their days of controlling every level of government are numbered," Democratic Assembly Leader Peter Barca said. "You're moving forward huge pieces of legislation that dramatically change the direction and traditions and values of this state. Generally, doing that takes much longer."

Recall campaigns likely will force six Republican senators to defend their seats this summer. Three Democrats may also be on recall ballots. A net victory of three seats would give the Democrats control of the Senate, which the GOP now controls 19-14. The first elections are scheduled for July 12.

At least publically, Wisconsin Republicans deny they're rushing legislation for fear of losing their majority.

"Right now, I don't foresee (losing the majority)," Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald said. "Obviously, I'm sure it will be in the back of your mind, but you'll have to see how that plays out later this summer."

But Rep. Robin Vos, co-chairman of the Legislature's budget-writing committee, which will attempt to handle two months of budget legislation in half the usual time, acknowledged, "It's a factor. For the budget, yeah, I want to get it done by June 30."

Four of the 12 Republicans on the committee are targets of the recall.

The blitz has created an almost frantic atmosphere in the Capitol.

Major bills, like the one to legalize concealed weapons, were introduced just days before public hearings. A major revision to the photo ID proposal was released late on a Friday afternoon, just four days before a committee passed it, prompting complaints from the nonpartisan board that oversees elections.

"There has been no time for the careful evaluation and vetting needed to ensure the best options for voters and election officials is enacted," wrote Kevin Kennedy, head of the nonpartisan Government Accountability Board.

Republican leaders scheduled a full Assembly vote on a bill deregulating the telecommunications industry only a week after a hearing, leaving little opportunity for public comment.

Walker said his plan to move his agenda is unchanged. "From our standpoint, it's really been about being aggressive from the beginning," he said in an interview.

At the same time lawmakers are pushing through conservative policies, they will be wrestling with Walker's budget proposal. Walker wants to cut roughly $1 billion from schools and local governments, split the Madison campus from the University of Wisconsin System and slow the growth of Medicaid by $500 million.

The Legislature also may try to quickly pass a redistricting plan, a politically charged process that would reshape congressional and legislative districts with new 2010 census data.

If the Legislature votes again on Walker's plan stripping public workers of their union negotiating rights, it can sidestep the legal challenges to the first vote, which came after 14 Senate Democrats fled to Illinois to deprive the Senate of a quorum. Unions and Democrats claim the original vote violated the open meetings law and the state constitution's quorum requirement. The case is pending before the state Supreme Court.

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said he and other leaders are just trying to make up the time lost during the earlier turmoil. "There is an expectation that some of these bills would be completed early on," he said.
So let's see. Photo ID, nearly always with fees(Thus, by several courts, ruled a poll tax). Undoing the all regulation on telephones, cut funds for schools, expand school vouchers.. Basic conservative wishlist.

(The above statement omits the concealed weapon bit as I assume it applies to allowing CCW liscenses.)
Last edited by SCRawl on 2011-05-09 02:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote tags fixed - SCRawl
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: WI GOP, facing recall, propels disenfranchising.

Post by fgalkin »

Huh? How can poll workers check whether you're on the rolls of registered voters if you don't present an ID of some kind?

That aside, here's to hoping they fail miserably, or that there are more protests and delaying tactics by the Democrats to stop them.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Wouldn't all this be for naught? If the Dems take control, wouldn't they reverse everything, pretty much making Walker a lame duck for the rest of his term?

BTW, will Walker be recalled too? Or is that too soon?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

fgalkin wrote:Huh? How can poll workers check whether you're on the rolls of registered voters if you don't present an ID of some kind?
It's been years since I was in that position, but in the past there were various means to vouch for your identity, including being known personally to an election judge (since they're drawn from the voting districts it's not that outrageous an idea in low-population areas), producing utility bills with your name and address, producing a property deed, and/or comparison of your signature with the one you gave when registering. I'm not sure how many of those are still valid these days. Mostly, such things were allowed for people who had recently moved into an area, as it takes time to get all your stuff converted to a new address, the elderly who no longer have a driver's license (the primary photo ID in the US) and so forth. A few states used to have driver's licenses without photos, but I don't think any of them have those any longer, they all have photos now.

Requiring a valid, government issued ID (usually state level) has not been ruled inherently a poll tax, but depending on how it's implemented it could be, hence the legal challenges to rules that would disenfranchise the poor. In some areas, community groups have sprung up in response to assist low income voters in registering. When I went to get public aid I'm always asked if I'm registered to vote, know where to vote, etc. and if I'm not do I need help with all that. Some people hate that notion and want to stop aid workers from assisting with that, well, we do know there's prejudice and bigotry everywhere, don't we?

So... if the definition of "valid ID" is broad it's not so much a problem.... but if they started requiring a Federal level ID that would probably be ruled illegal, as about the only such the average person could get would be a US passport, which is running about $110 these days and would effectively eliminate the poor such as myself.

My own state, Indiana, does require a photo ID but their list of acceptable ID's is quite long - ANY state or Federal government issued ID with a photo. There is also a provision for those who can not obtain a photo ID, including due to poverty or religious reasons (the latter prompted more by the Amish than by the Muslims - while some Muslims bar photographs for women, Amish who are anti-photograph bar them for everyone in the group). Voting without a photo ID is more difficult, as you may be asked to provide proof of eligibility by other means, including having someone vouch for your identity and residence, but it is not impossible.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Enigma wrote:Wouldn't all this be for naught? If the Dems take control, wouldn't they reverse everything, pretty much making Walker a lame duck for the rest of his term?
Obviously, the Republicans are hoping the recalls fail.
BTW, will Walker be recalled too? Or is that too soon?
He has to be in office at least a year before a recall can be initiated.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Broomstick wrote:
Enigma wrote:Wouldn't all this be for naught? If the Dems take control, wouldn't they reverse everything, pretty much making Walker a lame duck for the rest of his term?
That makes no sense. There's no need for rushing the laws if they think they'll win and it would be for nothing if they lost. It is like they are burning rubber yet not going any faster other than wasting fuel.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Enigma wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
That makes no sense. There's no need for rushing the laws if they think they'll win and it would be for nothing if they lost. It is like they are burning rubber yet not going any faster other than wasting fuel.
Repealing laws is probably going to be harder then getting them approved of in the first place, since the legislature will probably have to pass bills specifically repealing what's being done now, and those bills will probably be vetoed by...Governor Walker, who is not subject to recall for a while yet.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Ahh, well at least should the Dems win the recall votes, then they can put the brakes on anything Walker does until he's recalled *THEN* repeal those laws. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I think the Wisconsin GOP have truly lost touch with reality. The whole party nationwide is in that process, given how they listen only to their flunkies and yes-men, but it seems to be accelerating in that state particularly. Either that or they've simply determined to inflict a political scorched-earth agenda upon the entire state; ruin it for decades to come so that it wouldn't matter which party was in control, just as long as they succeed in destroying a century's worth of sociopolitical progress.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
kaeneth
Youngling

Post by kaeneth »

Akhlut wrote:
Enigma wrote: That makes no sense. There's no need for rushing the laws if they think they'll win and it would be for nothing if they lost. It is like they are burning rubber yet not going any faster other than wasting fuel.
Repealing laws is probably going to be harder then getting them approved of in the first place, since the legislature will probably have to pass bills specifically repealing what's being done now, and those bills will probably be vetoed by...Governor Walker, who is not subject to recall for a while yet.
This. That, and they probably won't lose the recall vote badly enough for enough strongly liberal Dems to be elected. It'll probably be a mixture of centrist and the right edge of the Democrats that get elected. (e.g. People who aren't Republicans, and therefore easier to elect, yet close enough to a Republican to capture some of the Republican base that gave the Republicans a majority in the first place) In other words, Blue Dog Democrats.

So, the Republicans are hoping between Walker and the specific Democrats that take Republican seats, they can stop repeals virtually indefinitely. That is my guess anyway.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Broomstick wrote:He has to be in office at least a year before a recall can be initiated.
That needs to be the first law the Democrats repeal.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

fgalkin wrote:Huh? How can poll workers check whether you're on the rolls of registered voters if you don't present an ID of some kind?

That aside, here's to hoping they fail miserably, or that there are more protests and delaying tactics by the Democrats to stop them.
At least in my town, they simply don't check. You walk up, tell them who you are and sign in a book which has one labeled line for every voters name. That's it. Then you go in the voting machine and vote. This is not atypical of US voting systems.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

At least in my town, they simply don't check. You walk up, tell them who you are and sign in a book which has one labeled line for every voters name. That's it. Then you go in the voting machine and vote. This is not atypical of US voting systems.
Here in MD the procedure is to go up to the judge, you identify yourself by name and give an address or other piece of information that would be on voter registration file. The judge pulls up the file, asks a question (middle name, date of birth, etc) to confirm that they've pulled the correct file. Once they do that you get your ballot key and go vote.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

General Schatten wrote:
Broomstick wrote:He has to be in office at least a year before a recall can be initiated.
That needs to be the first law the Democrats repeal.
That would actually require amending the state constitution and there's good reason not to do so: stability of elective office being one. Another is that an easy recall process could so easily whipsaw on the party that managed to get that enacted.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)