Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=11746690
July 28th, 2010 @ 5:23am

WASHINGTON (AP) - The sheriff of the most populous county in Arizona says he's "not going to put up with any civil disobedience" when the state's new immigration law takes effect.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio says that if protesters want to block his jail, he'll put them in it.

The Arizona law, which takes effect Thursday, requires officers enforcing other laws to check a person's immigration status if they suspect the person is in the country illegally.

Arpaio told ABC's "Good Morning America" he doesn't know "what the big hype is."

He says it's "a crime to be here illegally and everyone should enforce" the law.
Hahaha. I almost hope he does. I really don't think you can just grab people in front of the gates and toss them inside without some sort of procedure. Even if he can, that's not going to look good on a TV camera and will inflame the situation worse.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters

Post by Thanas »

This is a guy that has gotten away with well-documented cases of murder/manslaughter, extortion and theft.

As long as the retards keep voting for him, one cannot touch him.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

In a sense, I feel sorry for the guy: he's doing his job, even if the job description now requiers him to be an asshole. It's not his fault that the USA's immigration system is fucked up twice and forever.

EDIT: Wait, Thanas's post confused me. Is the guy, the sheriff, responsible for making the law or is he just enforcing it?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zixinus wrote:In a sense, I feel sorry for the guy: he's doing his job, even if the job description now requiers him to be an asshole. It's not his fault that the USA's immigration system is fucked up twice and forever.

EDIT: Wait, Thanas's post confused me. Is the guy, the sheriff, responsible for making the law or is he just enforcing it?

No, the sheriff is just a giant murdering thug.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zixinus wrote:In a sense, I feel sorry for the guy: he's doing his job, even if the job description now requiers him to be an asshole. It's not his fault that the USA's immigration system is fucked up twice and forever.
I'm fairly sure we've had stories about this guy before. He's basically about as corrupt as it's possible to get without wearing a black cowl and cacking as you talk.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thanas wrote:This is a guy that has gotten away with well-documented cases of murder/manslaughter, extortion and theft.

As long as the retards keep voting for him, one cannot touch him.

Do you happen to remember how much the 9th circuit court is fining the county every day he keeps Tent City in the condition it is in?

Oh and last I checked, peaceful political demonstrations were legal in the US.
I'm fairly sure we've had stories about this guy before. He's basically about as corrupt as it's possible to get without wearing a black cowl and cacking as you talk.
In a sense, I feel sorry for the guy: he's doing his job, even if the job description now requiers him to be an asshole. It's not his fault that the USA's immigration system is fucked up twice and forever.
Check this out, and read through the references as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maricopa_C ... paio[quote]

EDIT: Wait, Thanas's post confused me. Is the guy, the sheriff, responsible for making the law or is he just enforcing it?[/quote]

He is responsible for enforcing it. However he does so in a way that violates pretty much every constitutional guarantee we have. Moreover he has threatened to jail lawful demonstrators.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Check this out, and read through the references as well.
He is responsible for enforcing it. However he does so in a way that violates pretty much every constitutional guarantee we have. Moreover he has threatened to jail lawful demonstrators.
Ah. Here I thought this was just an officer who had to enforce assholish laws. Instead, we have an officer who welcomes these laws regardless of the damage it does, doesn't do proper paperwork, unnecessarily humiliates inmates whenever possible for entertainment value and abuses them whenever possible. Now, I don't feel sorry at all for the guy.

Hell, him trying to arrest protesters on national TV might be just the thing required to get him in jail and see how he likes it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

Zixinus wrote: EDIT: Wait, Thanas's post confused me. Is the guy, the sheriff, responsible for making the law or is he just enforcing it?
The major problem is that the sheriff likes doing everything but his job. For such a big time sheriff, his actual stats suck. He spends time and shitloads of money showing off, covering up (one of his deputies took papers from a defense attorney in court and got caught courtesy of a video camera - massive black eye to the entire Arizona judicial system given the response), and trying to intimidate local officials and judges along with his district attorney crony. So not only is he a bigot, he is incompetent to boot.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Arpaio is an incredible scumbag. In a different time and a different country, I could easily see the man running a Nazi death camp.
Truth fears no trial.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Sheriff Joe is a wanna-be Mini Dictator, obsessed that "Everyone" is out to get him, that every elected person in Arizona is corrupted, except for him.

Aside from stating that He doesn't "Need" the government" This is a man who in the middle of the night spent thousands of dollars sending 60 Officers to a "City Hall" to "Look for illegal immigrants" and turns the place upside down. Surprise surprise, the City Hall in question was investigating Arpaio for illegal activities!

His modus operandi STARTS with harassing people and making pointless arrests.

In Phoenix most recent investigation into his activities, do you know the first thing he did upon learning about it? Seek legal council? Defend himself? Speak out?
Nope. he ARRESTED the person involved on charges that are now shown to be 100% patently false.

And Lawsuits! You want to talk about lawsuits?
Lawsuite After
Lawsuite After
Lawsuite

He has cost my City MILLIONS because of his assholiness
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: He has cost my City MILLIONS because of his assholiness
Frankly, I think he has cost your city its honor. Why is he even still allowed to run for office? The man makes mockery of the laws he's supposed to enforce.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

PeZook wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote: He has cost my City MILLIONS because of his assholiness
Frankly, I think he has cost your city its honor. Why is he even still allowed to run for office? The man makes mockery of the laws he's supposed to enforce.
Because brainless reich-wingers love him. He's an incompetent, sadistic, fascist fuck that gets every uneducated, inbred dipshit in America behind him for being their living fantasy of "good old frontier justice."
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Wait, that guy is ELECTED?
Perhaps you should not elect your law enforcement officers, but select them based on experience and track record?
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Serafina wrote:Wait, that guy is ELECTED?
Perhaps you should not elect your law enforcement officers, but select them based on experience and track record?
Go back to your bratwurst.

That would be un-American! How dare you suggest that any citizen of that great nation might be incapable of something? After all, isn't that the American Dream?

Why would you want to reward hard work, talent, experience and knowledge when you can just go with the guy who gives you folksy, old-timesy platitudes?
Razorgeist
Youngling

Post by Razorgeist »

Thom Hartmann recently had him on his show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TAxsjg_ ... eature=sub

Funny he dosent seem to have a problem with bending the law when it deals with rich white guys.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know.
I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." - David Cronenberg

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?" - Bill Hicks
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I think Americans elect their judges, too. It's a system, it obviously works somewhat well. I'm just surprised that a scumbag like Sheriff Joe can run for office at all. One would think a sane country would institute a "People who perpetually break the law can't become a sheriff" rule...

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

PeZook wrote:
I think Americans elect their judges, too. It's a system, it obviously works somewhat well. I'm just surprised that a scumbag like Sheriff Joe can run for office at all. One would think a sane country would institute a "People who perpetually break the law can't become a sheriff" rule...
Innocent until proven guilty, PeZook. As for all the lawsuits, they're civil matters, not criminal acts.

But, yes. One would think that. I suspect that they probably have, but the good folk ( :wanker: ) of Maricopa County conveniently overlook it.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

PeZook wrote:
Sheriff Joe plays himself up to old, bigoted white folk. As long as the see him as their champion he can pretty much get away with anything.
JADAFETWA
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: Innocent until proven guilty, PeZook. As for all the lawsuits, they're civil matters, not criminal acts.
He (or the city, whatever - it's due to his actions) is being constantly slammed with fines for conditions in his little gulag prison, yet ignores calls to fix it. I'd think that should be more than enough.

But yeah, if he hasn't been convicted, the rule wouldn't apply, I agree. Of course, in Poland, he'd have been relieved or transferred by administrative decision, making the whole matter much cheaper and less a travesty of justice.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Doesn't he run an open-air prison in the middle of the DESERT where convicts sleep on cots over dirt floors in tents?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Doesn't he run an open-air prison in the middle of the DESERT where convicts sleep on cots over dirt floors in tents?
Yes he does. It's called a 'Concentration Camp' by any other measure.
Image Image
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Yes he does. It's called a 'Concentration Camp' by any other measure.
Not by his standards. Apparently, US soldiers in Iraq also live in the same conditions they do.
From Sign On San Diego wrote:Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, is not sympathetic. He said Wednesday that he told the inmates: "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and the soldiers are living in tents and they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your mouths."
Now, all my knowledge on soldiers in Iraq comes from Generation Kill and some news snippets, but don't these soldiers also get supply of water and not sleep in their body armour?
Credo!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Soldiers in Iraq also volunteered for doing that (via duty), and have training for it. They also have the proper equipment to do it?

What do the prisoners get? A communial pit?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Not to get too offtopic, but, as I recall, military tents also have air conditioning systems hooked up to them. They also get paid hazard pay to do so and their family can get a ton of benefits if they should die from the heat. Oh, and they have access to medics if the heat starts to affect them, whereas from everything I've heard, Arpaio doesn't offer any medical assistance to his prisoners if he can help it.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I'm sure a survivor former inmate of such a prison is not at all going to become more extreme in his future dealings with law enforcement!