Justice Stevens resigns from SCOTUS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Justice Stevens resigns from SCOTUS

Post by Simplicius »

from NYT, but it's news everywhere
The Grey Lady wrote:Justice Stevens to Retire After 34 Years
By CHARLIE SAVAGE

WASHINGTON — Associate Justice John Paul Stevens, leader of the liberal wing of the Supreme Court, announced on Friday that he would retire at the end of this term, setting up a confirmation battle over his replacement that is virtually certain to dominate the political scene this summer.

In a brief letter to President Obama, whom he addressed as “my dear Mr. President,” Justice Stevens said he was announcing his retirement now because he had “concluded that it would be in the best interests of the Court to have my successor appointed and confirmed well in advance of the commencement of the Court’s next term” in October.

Mr. Obama, appearing in the Rose Garden Friday afternoon after returning home from a trip to Prague, pledged to “move quickly” to name a successor who, he said, would possess qualities similar to those of Justice Stevens: “an independent mind, a record of excellence and integrity, a fierce dedication to the rule of law and a keen understanding of how the law affects the daily lives of ordinary people.” Mr. Obama said he wanted someone who, like Justice Stevens, “knows that in a democracy, powerful interest must not be allowed to drown out the voices of ordinary citizens.”

The president said he had spoken briefly to the justice, and had thanked him for serving his country. “He will soon turn 90 this month,” the president said, “but he leaves his position at the top of his game.”

Justice Stevens’s retirement had been widely expected. Court watchers had noticed that he did not hire the usual number of clerks for next year’s term, and he had given other hints as well.

The White House has been quietly evaluating potential nominees for months. Among those rumored to be in contention for the nomination are Solicitor General Elena Kagan and several appeals court judges, including Diane Wood and Merrick Garland.

A soft-spoken Republican and former antitrust lawyer from Chicago, Justice Stevens has led liberals on a court that has become increasingly conservative. He was appointed by President Gerald Ford in December 1975 to succeed Justice William O. Douglas, who had retired the month before. He is the longest-serving current justice by more than a decade.

Before joining the Supreme Court, Justice Stevens had been an appeals court judge. He served in the Navy in World War II.

He joined the court when it included Thurgood Marshall and William J. Brennan Jr., who along with Justice Douglas had been liberal stalwarts of the Warren court era. Also serving were Lewis F. Powell Jr., a Nixon appointee who voted with the court’s conservatives on criminal justice issues but was a strong supporter of abortion rights, and Potter Stewart, the last of President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s four Supreme Court appointees, who, like Justice Stevens, was a moderate Republican from the Midwest.

For most of his first two decades on the court, Justice Stevens labored in the shadows of those large figures, and was known to the public, if at all, mainly for the jaunty bow ties that were his sartorial trademark. After 1994, though, when the retirement of Justice Harry A. Blackmun made Justice Stevens the court’s senior associate, the language of his dissents started to become noticeably sharper, with a theme running through them: that the Supreme Court had lost touch with fundamental notions of fair play.

Confronted with a court far more conservative than the one he joined, Justice Stevens showed the world what his colleagues already knew: that beneath his amiable manner lay a canny strategist and master tactician, qualities he used to win victories that a simple liberal-conservative head count would appear to be impossible. A frequent dissenter even in his early years on the court, he now wrote more blunt and passionate opinions, explaining on several occasions that the nation was best served by an open airing of disagreements.

Justice Stevens’s stature as the bench’s unlikely liberal voice grew greater as the Bush administration’s policies on terrorism and detainees translated into a string of cases that came before the court, and as the court itself moved further to the right, as Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. succeeded Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist in 2005 and Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. took the place of Justice Sandra Day O’Connor the following year. Though he now found himself more often in the minority than any of his colleagues, Justice Stevens nevertheless helped shape the majority for a number of important decisions.

Justice Stevens’s plainspoken style has characterized the last years of his tenure. In cases involving prisoners held without charge at the American naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and the mentally retarded on death row, his version of American justice propelled by common sense and moral clarity commanded a majority.

In perhaps the most significant case, Hamdan. v. Rumsfeld, he repudiated the Bush administration’s plan to put terrorism suspects held at Guantánamo on trial by military commissions. He concluded his 72-page majority opinion with the blunt statement that “the Executive is bound to comply with the Rule of Law that prevails in this jurisdiction.”
Seems like it's the liberal bench's turn to retire en masse, which means at very best the Court drifts no further to the right.

A related item speculates on who might be selected to replace Stevens, though I can't vouch for it:
NYT again wrote:
Merrick B. Garland
-57 years old
-Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
-Harvard College, 1974; Harvard Law School, 1977

A former federal prosecutor now on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Judge Garland is well regarded by Democrats and influential Republican senators like Orrin G. Hatch of Utah.

Diane P. Wood
-59 years old
-Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Chicago
-University of Texas at Austin, 1971; University of Texas Law School, 1975

Judge Wood opposed some abortion restrictions and is respected for standing firm against strong, conservative judges on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. She and President Obama were colleagues at the University of Chicago.

Elena Kagan
-49 years old
-Solicitor general
-Princeton, 1981; Oxford, 1983; Harvard Law School, 1986

With no judicial record, Ms. Kagan is less known. As dean at Harvard Law School, she hired conservative professors to expand academic diversity and has supported assertions of executive power.

Jennifer M. Granholm
-51 years old
-Governor of Michigan
-University of California, Berkeley, 1984; Harvard Law School, 1987

Ms. Granholm is nearing the end of her second term as the first female governor of Michigan. As governor, she has generally opposed legislation to restrict abortion and twice vetoed bans on partial-birth abortion. She was born in Canada and became a United States citizen at age 18.

Janet Napolitano
-52 years old
-Secretary of Homeland Security
-Santa Clara University, 1979; University of Virginia School of Law, 1983

A former Democratic governor in Republican-dominated Arizona, Ms. Napolitano takes pride in defying easy labels and is as strongly supportive of abortion rights as she is of the death penalty. Her prospects might be hurt by criticism that she portrayed a thwarted Christmas bombing of a Detroit-bound airline as a test that the air safety system passed.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Justice Stevens resigns from SCOTUS

Post by Thanas »

Bad news, but I can understand him. Let us hope Obama does not screw this one up.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Simplicius wrote:Seems like it's the liberal bench's turn to retire en masse, which means at very best the Court drifts no further to the right.
That assumes that Obama appoints people who are as liberal as the people they are replacing. Sotomayer is widely considered to not be nearly as liberal as Souter. (or at least much more centrist)
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I don't think this is bad news at all. Stevens is 89, and if he were to stay on the court another three years before resigning/dying and Obama loses in 2012, he'd be replaced by a conservative.

Now if only Thomas or Scalia or someone else were to resign, that would be good.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:I don't think this is bad news at all. Stevens is 89, and if he were to stay on the court another three years before resigning/dying and Obama loses in 2012, he'd be replaced by a conservative.

Now if only Thomas or Scalia or someone else were to resign, that would be good.
You're right - I should have said bad news for jurisprudence, because I really liked reading his opinions.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

Why is it that only the abortion stance of Justice are brought up when there are multiple other stances that are relevant like gay marriage and their stance on corporatism.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Alphawolf55 wrote:Why is it that only the abortion stance of Justice are brought up when there are multiple other stances that are relevant like gay marriage and their stance on corporatism.
Because Roe v. Wade is used as an instant litmus test for a Justice, right or wrong. It's really just a contest to see how effectively the nominee can avoid answering the question.
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

To be fair, I find the two things I mentioned more relevant at the moment. Especially when campaign finance reform has basically been killed.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Alphawolf55 wrote:To be fair, I find the two things I mentioned more relevant at the moment. Especially when campaign finance reform has basically been killed.
And since you're a U.S. senator trying to appear tough on “baby killers” your opinion carries a lot of weight. The bios were to give a preview of how the Senate will view the nominees, and therefore the likelihood of Obama nominating them. It is also the right’s perennial wet dream to successfully appeal, or in some render null, Roe v. Wade by nominating a justice who will do so.

I'm far less interested in how liberal the nominee is and more in how well they can convince swing voters on the court. That was Stevens' strong suit, to get Kennedy to switch sides. He was also very active during oral arguments, and so probably raised more issues to direct the court's deliberations. His opinions will be sorely missed.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:I don't think this is bad news at all. Stevens is 89, and if he were to stay on the court another three years before resigning/dying and Obama loses in 2012, he'd be replaced by a conservative.

True but it's still sad to see Stevens go. He was one of the biggest intellectual heavyweights on the court and a perfect counterpart to Scalia--the court won't be the same without him even if they find someone just as "liberal" to replace him with.

Elena Kagan seems like a shoe-in at this point and that's not a bad thing. I don't think she'll be able to fill Stevens' considerable shoes, but she's a sharp lady and she'll serve the court well for decades to come.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

The Kernel wrote: Elena Kagan seems like a shoe-in at this point and that's not a bad thing. I don't think she'll be able to fill Stevens' considerable shoes, but she's a sharp lady and she'll serve the court well for decades to come.
She's the obvious choice I think. No judicial history lets her dodge a lot of questions from the committee and gives cover to the Senate in voting for her. but the Republican attack is going to focus on cronyism and probably compare her to Harriet Miers. I also like that she's the youngest.

I don't think Napolitano has a chance; I'm not sure why her name is even on there.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

My concern is that Obama get's the nominee up for Congressional approval and nominated before the November elections, just in case things go pear shaped for the Dems.

He certainly has plenty of time, but his constant indecisiveness and backpedaling in the face of Republican opposition continues to disappoint me.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Scalia should be the one to resign. Thomas will resign in suit because Scalia did it, and if Scalia did it, it's the right opinion to have.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Gil Hamilton wrote:

Scalia should be the one to resign. Thomas will resign in suit because Scalia did it, and if Scalia did it, it's the right opinion to have.
Maybe rather than resign, he will just kill himself. After all, without Scalia's dick to suck he will no longer have a reason to live.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Maybe rather than resign, he will just kill himself. After all, without Scalia's dick to suck he will no longer have a reason to live.
Eh, I'm sure he'll find something. There are a seemingly unlimited supply of interns in DC for him to harass, after all. It was good enough for him before he found Scalia; I'm sure it'll be good enough for him after he's gone.

Seriously, though, it would be interesting to find out if Thomas actually has opinions of his own, buried under the mountain of "what he said."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

I'd think the Republicans would want to save their strength to contest a nominee who will actually change the composition of the court (Scalia or Kennedy dying/resigning) rather than a liberal who will replace a liberal (however watered down "liberal" has become nowadays).

Such logic is asking too much of the right, alas.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If the threat of heavy resistance causes Obama to nominate a center-right judge instead of a center-left judge, they win, because at this point the court is very narrowly divided and even small changes in its ideological makeup have huge consequences in terms of who actually wins the court decisions.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Maybe rather than resign, he will just kill himself. After all, without Scalia's dick to suck he will no longer have a reason to live.
Eh, I'm sure he'll find something. There are a seemingly unlimited supply of interns in DC for him to harass, after all. It was good enough for him before he found Scalia; I'm sure it'll be good enough for him after he's gone.

Seriously, though, it would be interesting to find out if Thomas actually has opinions of his own, buried under the mountain of "what he said."

Well, I figure once Jack Scalia is gone, Justice Thomas might be inspired to fulfill all of his dreams and become a truly independent person. Then, when he is nearly 100 years old, he may find himself in the chambers of the Supreme Court, fondly remembering his lost love before accidentally dropping the edited version of the constitution they used to read together into a small fire. Finally letting go.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Post by Liberty »

Cecelia5578 wrote:I'd think the Republicans would want to save their strength to contest a nominee who will actually change the composition of the court (Scalia or Kennedy dying/resigning) rather than a liberal who will replace a liberal (however watered down "liberal" has become nowadays).

Such logic is asking too much of the right, alas.
Oh, but see. If the right could force Obama to choose a conservative leaning justice, or at least a centrist one, then the right would have the court. God forbid.

I hate how the right goes on and on about the "liberal justices" legislating from the bench when they (i.e., the conservative majority on the court) are the ones legislating from the bench!
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elena Kagan seems like a shoe-in at this point and that's not a bad thing.
She's a positively awful choice, but one can see why Obama would pick her given he's as much of an executive power junkie as Bush was.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn ... index.html
There won't be any questions about Kagan's qualifications, expertise or intellect -- she's exceptionally smart and knowledgeable -- and she largely holds positions on social issues, such as a solid pro-choice and pro-gay record, that will be pleasing to progressive constituencies. But the same is true for many outstanding candidates to replace Stevens, including Appellate Court Judge Diane Wood, former Yale Law School Dean and current State Department legal adviser Harold Koh, and Stanford Law Professor Pamela Karlan. And those choices, unlike Kagan (or Sunstein), would maintain the Court's fragile ideological balance rather than shifting it decisively to the Right for decades to come.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Of the five mentioned by the NYT, I highly doubt Granholm will get the nod. First she has no judicial experience, which is an easy thing for them to latch onto and replay the '08 message of "inexperienced!" Second, she doesn't exactly have many fans in the state, what with an inability to balance the budget (no thanks to the Legislature or economy, but still), and she has a history of actually standing up for progressive ideas. But most horribly...

she's Canadian.

Sure, no one here cares, we like taking trips across the river to go gamble in Windsor, but can you imagine the shitstorm the Teabaggers will throw when they find out the nominee is one of those evil socialist foreigners out to steal their precious bodily fluids?

No, Obama's gonna play it safe and help the Court shift more to the right rather than put up with another fight.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

White House reaches out to 'progressive allies' to ask them to dismiss Glenn Greenwald's takedown of Elena Kagan

Nothing satisfies me more than knowing the White House is aware of Glenn Greenwald's commentary, and are frightened by it.

Greenwald
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Greenwald also makes an excellent case for why Obama should nominate Diane Wood to the SCOTUS over Kagan.

That's worth a read.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Greenwald's arguments are pretty compelling.

My political advocacy skills are pretty rusty; what sort of advocacy groups would those of you in better practice suggest I look for?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sriad wrote:Greenwald's arguments are pretty compelling.

My political advocacy skills are pretty rusty; what sort of advocacy groups would those of you in better practice suggest I look for?
Write a letter to your congressman?