Pelosi's office broken into and trashed by Right Wingers

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Pelosi's office broken into and trashed by Right Wingers

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

MSNBC

WASHINGTON - U.S. Capitol Police have arrested a dozen anti-abortion activists outside House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office after a massive protest against the Democrats' health care bill.

The charges ranged from unlawful conduct to disorderly conduct and unlawful entry in the incident, which happened around 2:15 p.m. EST Thursday outside a second-floor suite in the Cannon House Office Building, Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said.

Pelosi's aides said the suite is hers. The speaker also has offices in the Capitol, which is harder to enter to stage a protest.

It was unclear whether the group attended the Tea Party protest that ended around that time. But the speaker's staff said those arrested were objecting to language in the health care overhaul that they said would allow federally subsidized abortions.
Also

another source Best to go there and see the pictures.
November 6, 2009
Pelosi's office trashed; priest + 11 arrested

The above is a shot of the wild scene outside Nancy Pelosi's office yesterday afternoon, as described in The Hill last night...

Conservative protesters chanting "Kill that bill!" stormed the Capitol on Thursday as Republicans launched a last-ditch effort against the Democrats' healthcare bill.

The protesters from around the country entered House office buildings after attending the "House Call" rally on healthcare, largely the brainchild of Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN)....

It is unclear how many people attended the event, thought the protesters appeared to number in the thousands. House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) estimated 10k attended.

Our own Bethany's parents even attended the House Call rally! Attendees were encouraged to take a page from the 2k page healthcare bill to their congressperson's office and demand s/he explain it. At Pelosi's office, though, people crumpled theirs and trashed it...

Look closely at that still shot. Code Pink counter-demonstrators were standing to the left outside Pelosi's office door, but staging his own personal sit-in inside was Fr. Norman Weslin, who we last saw being arrested at Notre Dame.

And whoops, he did it again, leaving Pelosi's office and laying down in the hall, where he was again arrested...

According to the Associated Press:

U.S. Capitol Police have arrested a dozen anti-abortion activists outside House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office after a massive protest against the Democrats' health care bill.

The charges ranged from unlawful conduct to disorderly conduct and unlawful entry in the incident, which happened around 2:15 p.m. EST Thursday....

Was this Randall Terry's doing? Yep.
This shit is scaring me the Right is getting angrier and more violent. I think it is a matter of time before they go to far.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pelosi's office broken into and trashed by Right Wingers

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Invictus ChiKen wrote: This shit is scaring me the Right is getting angrier and more violent. I think it is a matter of time before they go to far.
Oh FSM we can hope so!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I WANT the right wing to go off the deep end. Not in violance or anything, just getting more and more "Crazy" I WANT there to be things like this, things that hopefully show America how crazy these people are.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Too far? Anti abortion terrorists are already responsible for at least a dozen arson and bombing attacks against abortion clinics in the US, as well as several in Canada and Australia. A number of people have been killed in these attacks. Compared to that trashing an office just really means the Capitol Police are a bunch of idiots.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Oh FSM we can hope so!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I WANT the right wing to go off the deep end. Not in violance or anything, just getting more and more "Crazy" I WANT there to be things like this, things that hopefully show America how crazy these people are.

You got a point. They cross the right lines with offical backing the GOP could even be shut down correct?
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

This shouldn't come to surprise at all: when a stupid man can't win an argument by being stupid, he'll win it by being violent.

As the article demonstrates, this applies to groups. If anything, this is minor childish threat and only a symbol of what is to come from these people.

What's scary, or would be scary if I lived in the USA, is that these people will not back down until the national guard are called in. They think they did the right thing. It will never occur to them that they didn't and they will keep doing it even when they'll be facing the national guard, if it comes to that.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Aasharu
Youngling

Post by Aasharu »

Hell, I'd bet money that even if the national guard were called in, they'd just start screaming about persecution and government abuse. Some of them may even try to draw parallels to the police being used against protesters in the 60s, completely missing the irony.
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Aasharu wrote:Hell, I'd bet money that even if the national guard were called in, they'd just start screaming about persecution and government abuse. Some of them may even try to draw parallels to the police being used against protesters in the 60s, completely missing the irony.
Don't forget Hitler and talk of this being proof they where right all along.
-Mike Wong
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Too far? Anti abortion terrorists are already responsible for at least a dozen arson and bombing attacks against abortion clinics in the US, as well as several in Canada and Australia. A number of people have been killed in these attacks. Compared to that trashing an office just really means the Capitol Police are a bunch of idiots.
Since I personally know several senior Capitol Police officers and the constraints under which they operate I'll assume you were saying that hypothetically rather than seriously.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I want to see Boehner or Bachmann justify this shit. Masking a rally as a press conference (not once, but twice) was stupid enough.

Keith Olbermann is going to have a fucking field day with this.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Bachmann's probably stupid and insane enough to do it. Boehner's too much of a weasel to try or think about trying and probably thinks he's being clever by just not saying anything about it and looking reasonable compared to his pet lunatics. He's a shithead but not a total imbecile.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm afraid this kind of thing is only going to get worse now that the House has passed the health care bill. These people have been getting all riled up about Health Care reform equaling Nazism and Stalinism rolled into one for months now.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah, I know, I go into town for some essentials and I remember that the park is an Island of leftism/centrism surrounded by Rednecks who are proud of their history of Vigilantism (still celebrate killing the indians and lynching blacks and mexicans)

so yes I'm scared....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

for months these people have basically been told "Obama's Helathcare will::: Kill grandmas, take away your freedom! Institute Communism! Destroy MArriage, Kill Babbies!!

And now its just passed... I can't WAIT to see whe crazies come unhinged.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Given that said craziness may well involve a rapidly escalating body count...

Oh well. At least they passed something. Hopefully it will help improve the disgrace that is US health care.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Given that said craziness may well involve a rapidly escalating body count...

Oh well. At least they passed something. Hopefully it will help improve the disgrace that is US health care.
Don't celebrate just yet. We have to wait on the Senate now. In the meantime, listen to the otherworldly shrieks of evil harpie Michelle Bachmann and her cobbled-together lurching zombie horde, led by Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Rob that's insulting to our undead contingent, the life deprived have done nothing but eat a few brains, and they get compared to Rush and Beck?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Dalton wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Given that said craziness may well involve a rapidly escalating body count...

Don't celebrate just yet. We have to wait on the Senate now. In the meantime, listen to the otherworldly shrieks of evil harpie Michelle Bachmann and her cobbled-together lurching zombie horde, led by Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.

Senate worries me. The House had a bigger margin than the Senate and it was a squeaker, hopefully Reid will borrow someones nut sack and hold Lieberman's feet to the fire and get a vote.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Invictus ChiKen wrote:You got a point. They cross the right lines with offical backing the GOP could even be shut down correct?
No, that could not happen. No sane politician would even attempt it, and if by some miracle they pulled it off, declaring the Republican party to be illegal is one of the few conceivable actions that really would cause mass revolt and possibly civil war in the US.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

The interesting thing about this, to me, is that the Stupak amendment passed and has already ensured that no federal money will go to help women who need to terminate their pregnancies. There was really nothing in the bill for anti-abortion activists to complain about, except for their generalized sense of alienation.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Knife wrote:
Dalton wrote:

Senate worries me. The House had a bigger margin than the Senate and it was a squeaker, hopefully Reid will borrow someones nut sack and hold Lieberman's feet to the fire and get a vote.
Honestly the only question on the Senate side is whether it will go filibuster or not. Reid certainly has 50 votes (which means Biden puts him over the top at 51) so the only question is the procedural vote on cloture. I think its entirely possibly Reid has the muscle to get his wavering Dems to vote for cloture if they are allowed to go off the reservation on the main bill. The alternative is he forces an actual filibuster which could hurt the Republicans even more now that the house has passed a bill (it would simply make them look even more blatantly obstructionist).

What I'm most worried about is that Reid will offer seats at the conference committee in return for cloture votes because THAT is where the real meat of this boondoggle will take place.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Honestly the only question on the Senate side is whether it will go filibuster or not. Reid certainly has 50 votes (which means Biden puts him over the top at 51) so the only question is the procedural vote on cloture. I think its entirely possibly Reid has the muscle to get his wavering Dems to vote for cloture if they are allowed to go off the reservation on the main bill. The alternative is he forces an actual filibuster which could hurt the Republicans even more now that the house has passed a bill (it would simply make them look even more blatantly obstructionist).

What I'm most worried about is that Reid will offer seats at the conference committee in return for cloture votes because THAT is where the real meat of this boondoggle will take place.
Agreed, I was worried about the cloture vote, not the actual vote. Anymore it is the cloture vote to get it to the floor and the cloture vote to end debate that matters more than than the real vote. Procedural and all; that's why I'm worried about Lieberman and what Reid has on him to get him to vote for the procedural votes.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

With people parading around rifles in Obama's public appearances to "send a message", and I wonder how your President feels about this, and the impression that the Republicans or at least the fringe far-right nuts, are getting even fringer and far-righter and nuttier... is the fear of another Timothy McVeigh-style bombing justified?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Honestly the only question on the Senate side is whether it will go filibuster or not. Reid certainly has 50 votes (which means Biden puts him over the top at 51) so the only question is the procedural vote on cloture. I think its entirely possibly Reid has the muscle to get his wavering Dems to vote for cloture if they are allowed to go off the reservation on the main bill. The alternative is he forces an actual filibuster which could hurt the Republicans even more now that the house has passed a bill (it would simply make them look even more blatantly obstructionist).
Agreed. Everyone acts like they need 60 votes to stop a Republican fillibuster, but no one asks what a fillibuster would do to the image of the Republicans. I'm not so sure a Republican fillibuster wouldn't blow up in their faces (especially Lieberman's face) and end up strengthening the chance for a stronger health bill.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:Agreed. Everyone acts like they need 60 votes to stop a Republican fillibuster, but no one asks what a fillibuster would do to the image of the Republicans. I'm not so sure a Republican fillibuster wouldn't blow up in their faces (especially Lieberman's face) and end up strengthening the chance for a stronger health bill.
Sadly the Democratic Party has a chronic lack of spine.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:With people parading around rifles in Obama's public appearances to "send a message", and I wonder how your President feels about this, and the impression that the Republicans or at least the fringe far-right nuts, are getting even fringer and far-righter and nuttier... is the fear of another Timothy McVeigh-style bombing justified?
Absolutely. We've already had a lot of threats and intimidation, and some comparatively small-scale acts of violence. I'll be somewhat surprised (though obviously pleasantly so) if we get through the next few years without a major bombing or high-profile assassination/attempted assassination at the least.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

On Shroomy's McVeigh Impersonators- Yes, according to the latest threat assessment (I can't remember if it was Homeland Security, the CIA, or the FBI) right-wing anti-government threats are expected to be a greater risk, and it's specifically cited because the President's a black liberal.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers