Have Republicans ever been right?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Have Republicans ever been right?

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They vehemently denied Global Warming despite all the facts, they vehemently oppose family planning, contraceptives, and sex education and support abstinence despite uneducated teens being the most likely to get knocked up, they've supported and continued to support a war based on false pretenses despite everyone else calling them on it, they're opposing stuff like healthcare reform, they're opposing stuff like government regulation when deregulation just screwed the economy over, their power base lies with the generally ignorant and fearmongered population of idiots and hicks being played to the tune by the rich and the powerful who don't give a crap about the bloody poor people, and the last two administrations have been a culmination of everything they've done wrong.

So, it makes me wonder, does America's only other political party actually factually support anything that's morally right or that's factually correct?

Because it's pretty horrifying if it turns out that half of the USA's political leadership does not support anything that's factually correct/morally right/reasonable but actually opposes these things while pushing for things that are, y'know, bad and/or evil.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Re: Have Republicans ever been right?

Post by Duckie »

A lot of Americans think they're correct on Gun Control (that is, don't have it).

Um... classical republicans ended slavery in the 1860s. They grew into a civil service reform movement (to a degree, their party was split on exactly how much to reform the patronage system) at one point. The Republicans I believe were the first environmentalists, and they did have Teddy Roosevelt.

That's about all I can think of, and both of those are ancient politics and not relevant to a post-reagan and post-evanglical politics era, since the Republicans of today have almost nothing to do with them.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Are you a rich, white, heterosexual Christian male? See, it's not about whether the Republicans are right, it's about whether or not they perpetuate the system of exploitation that is the source of your power. It is entirely seemly for an intelligent, well-educated man to support the GOP. Provided he is also a douchey, entitled, rich white ass.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Corrolary: Or are you a poor heterosexual white christian male? If so, do you hope to be rich?

The motivations for the poor whites to support the more regressive party has unsurprisingly not changed in the previous 150 years: one, the party plays to their bigotry and biases, and two, if they are even cognizant of how the 'pro-business' policies of the party works for the rich, they someday hope to be one of the rich people to gain from it.

Or worse, a lot of poor americans think they are rich. I've heard a family who lives on $22,000 worry that taxing the upper middle class could hurt them. Further, 19% of Americans think they are in the top 2% tax bracket.
ThomasP
Padawan Learner

Post by ThomasP »

Darth Raptor wrote:Are you a rich, white, heterosexual Christian male?
Now let's be fair here. You don't have to be heterosexual.

You just have to publicly hate gay people. It's OK to play footsy in the bathroom stalls as long as you scream about the evil homosexual agenda in public.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

They were right about a few things back in the mid-19th century.

These days? Not so much.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

This is something that has struck me as well, sometimes I catch myself thinking that they are never right about anything and start worrying that perhaps I'm falling for one or several cognitive biases.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Is it really fair to say Republicans were right in the 19th century? I mean, it's really a different party now...
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

The Spartan wrote:Is it really fair to say Republicans were right in the 19th century? I mean, it's really a different party now...
It might be fair or not, but it is utterly meaningless.
Because, even if their political goals had stayed the same (which they did not), they are completly different people right now. And competence is still the most important property of a political party.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Shroomie what do you mean Republicans still support the war? Didn't you hear? George W declared the Iraq War over and Afghanistan is now the liberals war. :lol:
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Missile Defense, and the Second Amendment (so the right to keep and bear arms).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The Republicans have always been on the right side of any issue as far as I can remember. :lol:
MariusRoi wrote:Missile Defense, and the Second Amendment (so the right to keep and bear arms).
Both are debatable. Correct choice to you maybe but not others. To justify it as the Republicans being right about something for a change it has to be universally accepted.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Sarevok wrote:The Republicans have always been on the right side of any issue as far as I can remember. :lol:
MariusRoi wrote:Missile Defense, and the Second Amendment (so the right to keep and bear arms).
Both are debatable. Correct choice to you maybe but not others. To justify it as the Republicans being right about something for a change it has to be universally accepted.
This can get pretty hard, then, since there aren't THAT many things that are universally accepted. Democracy, separation of church and state, universal welfare etc. all have their opponents.

On the other hand, if we go with what the majority of this board thinks, then it becomes easier. Or what the majority of the Western world thinks, for example.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What about Nuclear power? I recall that the Reps are far more in favour to it than the Dems.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

General Schatten wrote:Shroomie what do you mean Republicans still support the war? Didn't you hear? George W declared the Iraq War over and Afghanistan is now the liberals war. :lol:
How does that work? If the War on Muslims was being perpetuated by the liberals, while the liberals are being headed by the biggest, fattest Muslim in the world, then why would they want to go around killing Muslims?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
General Schatten wrote:Shroomie what do you mean Republicans still support the war? Didn't you hear? George W declared the Iraq War over and Afghanistan is now the liberals war. :lol:
How does that work? If the War on Muslims was being perpetuated by the liberals, while the liberals are being headed by the biggest, fattest Muslim in the world, then why would they want to go around killing Muslims?
I have no fucking clue but that's conservative logic for you. You can see evidence of this in the Horrible Political Cartoons thread.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'm with the Republicans on missile defense, gun control, and nuclear power. Everything else, they can go eat a dick.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

RedImperator wrote:I'm with the Republicans on missile defense, gun control, and nuclear power. Everything else, they can go eat a dick.
What's the Republican stance on nuclear power?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

General Schatten wrote: What's the Republican stance on nuclear power?
"I love nukes, and you are a retard for not loving it as much as me, you Hippie losers."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Has any progress re: nuclear power happened during the Shrub Years? 'Cause isn't it known that the Republicans are very much in bed with those Aramco oil baron shmucks?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Has any progress re: nuclear power happened during the Shrub Years? 'Cause isn't it known that the Republicans are very much in bed with those Aramco oil baron shmucks?
YES.

The first permits were handed out for new power plants (well, the first of many permit steps). I believe Calvert Cliffs, MD has the first new permit to be handed out in 30 years.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I'm pretty much with Red Imperator on this. I might be willing to say nice things about the Republicans if they support Project Orion, though.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

In theory, I stand with them on fiscal conservatism. Unfortunately, they rarely practice it when they have the reigns. Note, I'm not a 'government so small you can drown it in a bathtube" type fiscal conservative, rather I just prefer a balanced budget and not hiding the cost of shit so it doesn't appear on the budget.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Darth Raptor wrote:Are you a rich, white, heterosexual Christian male?
I'm conflicted.

I am only 50% WASP (father's side is anglician church of england from canada; mother's side is catholic).

Does that mean my Minority oppressing license is taken away? Or do I get added "hypocrite" points on my license for being a minority myself (deaf)?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It means that you have damn Irish recessive genes and that soon they will make manifest and your pubic hair will turn ginger.

Has ZerObamaMang actively opposed or countermanded the Super Shrub Era's policy on nuclear power, or has he just nodded his head and just left it essentially untouched? Whatever happened to the pre-election day speculation of Obamamang being rather friendly or at least okay with nuclear power?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!