another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by Isolder74 »

What is the deal with the completely unflattering depictions of the women in that last cartoon? I had to look twice to find the arms of the girl on the far right. They don't seem to have chins, and even the teacher looks terrible. Is that just how that artist draws people?
The researchers found that although overall screening lowered breast cancer mortality by roughly 15 percent, it also increased the number of mastectomies by 20 percent and boosted the likelihood of radiation treatment.
The article posted says that but it should be taken with a large grain of salt since it is from a homeopathy website and does not reference the study that they are referring to. Since it does not provide any way to look at the study itself to see if their interpretation of it is correct it is hard to believe their conclusions on the study are what the study actually is trying to state. The study could as well be trying to promote better biopsy procedures before invasive surgery should be performed.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Zixinus wrote: Wouldn't it be more useful to give some ideas on how correctly diagnosing breast cancer is done? You, knowing what the standard protocol for breast cancer diagnosis is (probably stuff like blood tests to see whether there are tell-tale signs of cancer, another mamagram, etc), before life-altering treatment may begin. In order to avoid a negligent doctor that for some reason doesn't want to do his or her job properly.
Yes it would, but it's not natural treatment so sites like the one given by the cartoon are not interested in it.

I don't know about the US, but diagnostic imaging stations here have lots of informational pamphlets on breast cancer, how it is diagnosed and what to do. They do, in fact, take pains to warn that not all positives from mammograms are actual cancerous growths and emphasize the need to confirm the results, go to the doctor, there are toll-free numbers, etc.

Contrast, say a self-diagnostic pamphlet like this (examine your breasts regularly, but don't worry, not all lumps are cancerous) and the hysterical conspiracy-nut message of that horrible cartoon.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Zixinus wrote:Oh, and has nobody commented on the last cartoon in Crossroads' post? I am not sure where they are getting at. Aside the suggestion with "keeping a good reputation", the stuff seems to be the kind of stuff that feminist shouldn't have a problem with, no? I mean, what's wrong with developing a sense of responsibility and self-esteem (how do you do that, I wonder) as well as using family planning (of course, I would guess they are thinking "no marriage before sex" but that is not clear).
I am actually confused what it's trying to say.
The girl on the far right says that "Plan B sounds so liberating"-- so in other words, "women's liberation" means that you get to "act like a drunken whore" whereas if you followed "good classical family values" (family values? Where have we heard that before?) then you get to be a prim and proper lady with a good reputation, etc.

The cartoon is kinda innucuous until you latch on to the notion of women and "liberation". In the Conservative world, "women's liberation" = "drunken whores" who basically seek to be sluts and actively look forward to getting as many abortions as possible the way men collect belt-notch conquests.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Coyote wrote:The cartoon is kinda innucuous until you latch on to the notion of women and "liberation". In the Conservative world, "women's liberation" = "drunken whores" who basically seek to be sluts and actively look forward to getting as many abortions as possible the way men collect belt-notch conquests.
That was always something that got to me about the conservative mindset when it comes to Abortions and Liberals. Fort most Right Wing people, it isn't just that "Liberals" support the 'right to choose' its that they actively seek to get women to have abortions. I've talked to people who give the impression they believe that every time a women has an abortion, Liberals smack their hands together gleefully and cheer.

Then couple that with the belief in "The Abortion Industry" the straw man that there is some sort of multibillion dollar nameless industry that makes huge profits on aborting fetuses.

Its no wonder why its impossible to debate with these people when they believe you are a murderer who kills babies because you like it and support a multibillion dollar industry that feeds off the death of babies.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Isn't Plan B also a contraceptive? Subtle hint, no?
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Then couple that with the belief in "The Abortion Industry" the straw man that there is some sort of multibillion dollar nameless industry that makes huge profits on aborting fetuses.

Its no wonder why its impossible to debate with these people when they believe you are a murderer who kills babies because you like it and support a multibillion dollar industry that feeds off the death of babies.
This is something I've wondered about. How exactly DO you profit on women getting abortions? It's not like women are paying vast amounts of money to have them done in alot of cases, particularly if the woman is in poverty and goes to a Planned Parenthood clinic. The only websites I can find that claim that Planned Parenthood are making vast amounts of money are pro-life sites who are claiming that it's part of the "abortion industry". Anyone who's actually been in a clinic knows full well that they are massively underfunded, leading one to believe that there must be a shadowy cabal of enormously fat men in suits around a mahogany table somewhere while a pointy haired boss goes "Gentlemen, profits are down. Thoe 'pro-life' activists are saving innocent babies lives with the virtues of their *snicker* God and cutting into our operation to harvest their precious fetus juices. They must be eliminated."
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The cartoon is kinda innucuous until you latch on to the notion of women and "liberation". In the Conservative world, "women's liberation" = "drunken whores" who basically seek to be sluts and actively look forward to getting as many abortions as possible the way men collect belt-notch conquests.
Ah, so it gets a very different light under that interpretation of the phrase "woman's liberation". Now it makes more sense and I can see how it is awful.

But really, it is awful even if you ignore the message for a moment: a good political cartoon should give you insight into the matter it depicts. For example, I recall a cartoon from my history book about the colonization of China by different European powers (and Japan). You could tell so much by the body language and gestures alone, there were no speech bubbles or even writing except a cake/pizza that had "China" written on it. Everything else was done by the situation and body language. It was brilliant and if necessary, I could dig it up to find what I was talking about.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what the cartoon with the two plans for womanhood mean, unless you have the right (hah!) interpretation of certain phrases. A good political cartoon should explain itself so it can be comprehended by an outsider.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Gil Hamilton wrote:This is something I've wondered about. How exactly DO you profit on women getting abortions? It's not like women are paying vast amounts of money to have them done in alot of cases, particularly if the woman is in poverty and goes to a Planned Parenthood clinic. The only websites I can find that claim that Planned Parenthood are making vast amounts of money are pro-life sites who are claiming that it's part of the "abortion industry". Anyone who's actually been in a clinic knows full well that they are massively underfunded, leading one to believe that there must be a shadowy cabal of enormously fat men in suits around a mahogany table somewhere while a pointy haired boss goes "Gentlemen, profits are down. Thoe 'pro-life' activists are saving innocent babies lives with the virtues of their *snicker* God and cutting into our operation to harvest their precious fetus juices. They must be eliminated."
You pretty much summed up things quite nicely. I remember once 'debating' a far right wacko about Abortion, and he made the mistake of brining up the "Abortion Industry" and proceeded to tell me about this vast amounts of money they make by forcing women to have abortions.

I proceeded to ask the guy just how big the Abortion industries profits where, he didn't know. I asked if he could provide, say, a yearly income amount? Or perhaps a net income for the 'abortion industry' and he didn't know. I asked if he knew how abortion clinics made a profit when most that go to them are young women without much money:

"AHA!" he says, they make their money selling the fetuses to stem cell labs for research!"

Dead serious, that was the response.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: "AHA!" he says, they make their money selling the fetuses to stem cell labs for research!"

Dead serious, that was the response.
And even though alot of research is done at universities and hospitals where their research is public records, those records are falsified by liberal universities, because they are making massive profits based it too through our tax dollars going to their grants (somehow)! All the pieces line up!
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Crossroads, that last cartoon has already been in this thread. The image source went away or something, but Uraniun posted it, I commented on it, and you actually replied to my comment.
The girl on the far right says that "Plan B sounds so liberating"-- so in other words, "women's liberation" means that you get to "act like a drunken whore" whereas if you followed "good classical family values" (family values? Where have we heard that before?) then you get to be a prim and proper lady with a good reputation, etc.

It is not innocuous at any point. Plan B refers to a so-called "morning-after pill." The cartoon is blatantly claiming that contraception = female promiscuity = feminism = evil, since female virtue = chastity in the author's mind etc.
"Guys, don't do that"
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ah, OK... I had forgotten about "Plan B" being the brand of a contraception pill. That does, indeed, throw a much more clear light on the subject.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Somehow, I don't think All Muslims share this belief.

Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

PeZook wrote:That's why most sane health systems urge women above 50 to get regular breast screening every two years, and do follow-up diagnostics before administering chemotherapy.
Errr... that depends on which group you follow actually. The older recommendation is age 40, start yearly, then age 50, every two yearly.

There was an interesting statistic that suggest that out of every 1 thousand positive mammogram, several hundred required a biopsy after secondary imaging and out of this, only tens required actual treatment.
Zixinus wrote:How can you even prevent breast cancer, aside living healthily?
Tamoxifen..... Its much more effective than low fat diet or balancing pregnancies and hormones.
Anyone here willing to take the risk of DVT and strokes related to the drug?
Wouldn't it be more useful to give some ideas on how correctly diagnosing breast cancer is done? You, knowing what the standard protocol for breast cancer diagnosis is (probably stuff like blood tests to see whether there are tell-tale signs of cancer, another mamagram, etc), before life-altering treatment may begin. In order to avoid a negligent doctor that for some reason doesn't want to do his or her job properly.
Mammogram, then a second imaging that may be u/s,MRI or etc depending on the patient, then a biopsy, using which method is again, based on the patient characteristics and imaging, ranging from Fine Needle Aspiration(It looks as scary as it sounds yet.....) to surgery.

Here's the caveat. For treatment using the surgical option, there's a last minute biopsy done during the surgery itself used to guide treatment and the knife.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

LadyTevar wrote:Somehow, I don't think All Muslims share this belief.

So it's not Muslims shooting Rockets into Israel that makes them go Godzilla on the region once every few years?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Another "Black Panthers Attack Voters" cartoon,
Though this time I have the back story on it.

Evidently, the current manufactured hysteria at Fox news claims some "New Black Panthers" threatened and intimidated voters at a polling station in Philadelphia at 2008. 'Supposedly' one of them was caught on film shouting "Humanity is about killing Cracker Babies". Fox has been screeching because, apparently, Holder acting from Obama, has dropped all charges against them... Scandalous!!

Except, the decision wasn't made by Holder, since the Obama presidency hadn't been sworn in yet, it was made by, wait for it, the Bush administration. There was however Civil action filed on Jan 7th. 2009 again... Thats two weeks BEFORE Obama took over the Whitehouse.

So once again we have bold face lies by the right, being repeated by FauxNews as facts, leading their masses to believe that Obama has let go violent thugs scot free.

LINK at:
Realclearpolitics
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

You know, if the title were reversed, this would be rather accurate...

And once again Catalinos "art" style just offends me.

Meanwhile people are STILL freaking out about NASA

Hey Foden! Hoes beating a dead horse working out for you?
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Harmless little bunny, isn't it?

It's missing the AR-15 rifle.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

This is something I've wondered about. How exactly DO you profit on women getting abortions? It's not like women are paying vast amounts of money to have them done in alot of cases, particularly if the woman is in poverty and goes to a Planned Parenthood clinic. The only websites I can find that claim that Planned Parenthood are making vast amounts of money are pro-life sites who are claiming that it's part of the "abortion industry". Anyone who's actually been in a clinic knows full well that they are massively underfunded, leading one to believe that there must be a shadowy cabal of enormously fat men in suits around a mahogany table somewhere while a pointy haired boss goes "Gentlemen, profits are down. Thoe 'pro-life' activists are saving innocent babies lives with the virtues of their *snicker* God and cutting into our operation to harvest their precious fetus juices. They must be eliminated."
I think I know where the "abortion industry" bullshit comes from. Mind you, this is just an idea I had, I'm not sure how much evidence there is for it, but here goes.

The right wing tends to support the things they do because they're in the pockets of big corporations, the oil industry, defense contractors, ect. So they assume that the left wing does the same. The left wing supports the right to choose, therefore, to the right wing mindset, there MUST be a huge, multi-billion dollar industry paying for that support.

Does that make sense at all, or am I completly delusional again?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Does that make sense at all, or am I completly delusional again?
I don't think most of them acknowledge that they are serving cooperate interest. Rather, a very small (and very influential and powerful) minority of them recognises this and may have guilt over it and makes up the fantasy that the left does the exact same thing, so its okay that they are corrupt representation of corporate interest in an institution that is supposed to serve the people.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I have to say I love the tea party as a fluffy wittle bunny. Awww who's a cute little racist movement? Yes you are! Yess you are!
Awwww.

What confuses me is the bowtie on the NAACP... Is the current head of the NAACP black Tucker Carlson? Or is this double irony of a racist trying not to be racist yet drawing racist imagery?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:The right wing tends to support the things they do because they're in the pockets of big corporations, the oil industry, defense contractors, ect. So they assume that the left wing does the same. The left wing supports the right to choose, therefore, to the right wing mindset, there MUST be a huge, multi-billion dollar industry paying for that support.
That is part of it, however I would say its more the rights belief that EVERYONE is in the pocket of big business. I doubt there really is much "guilt" going on, but simply the belief that anything Liberals support must be because they are funded by some evil company.
Mr Bean wrote:I have to say I love the tea party as a fluffy wittle bunny. Awww who's a cute little racist movement? Yes you are! Yess you are!
Awwww.
Which really grinds the gear of the realist inside me. If you are going to write "MAD DOG!" then for the sake of artistic decency, DRAW a dog! You can make a small puppy look just as cute as a bunny!
What confuses me is the bowtie on the NAACP... Is the current head of the NAACP black Tucker Carlson? Or is this double irony of a racist trying not to be racist yet drawing racist imagery?
Well compare it to yet another knockoff of the same concept:
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Isil`Zha
Jedi Knight

Post by Isil`Zha »

Isolder74 wrote:What is the deal with the completely unflattering depictions of the women in that last cartoon? I had to look twice to find the arms of the girl on the far right. They don't seem to have chins, and even the teacher looks terrible. Is that just how that artist draws people?
The researchers found that although overall screening lowered breast cancer mortality by roughly 15 percent, it also increased the number of mastectomies by 20 percent and boosted the likelihood of radiation treatment.
The article posted says that but it should be taken with a large grain of salt since it is from a homeopathy website and does not reference the study that they are referring to. Since it does not provide any way to look at the study itself to see if their interpretation of it is correct it is hard to believe their conclusions on the study are what the study actually is trying to state. The study could as well be trying to promote better biopsy procedures before invasive surgery should be performed.
With the actual study left out, for all we know, 100% of that "20% increase in mastectomies and radiation treatments" were medically correct to have done.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Just because we are due for any update, a Few stinkers.

Racist AND making a Birther potshot, two for two for Lester!

"Whats TERRIBLE about this? How about the fact that the "Oil Ban" is still currently struck down and not a single High Risk oil derrick has been shut down.
If Anything has destroyed their industry, maybe its their spill!

And this one? Well Aside form the quip about the Gulf, EVERY gripe there could have bee made about the Bush Administration.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Trust me friends this is NOT satire, not even the ignorant/biased satire show here so-far, this freak (Chick) really believes this shite:

:P

There's a couple more pages of this surreal, unintentionally funny rubbish (where the rebel mook gets judged by God) but this is more than enough already.
Last edited by Big Orange on 2010-07-30 07:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Dude, it's a Chick tract.