Transgender Woman Murdered [UPDATED]

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

JCady
Padawan Learner

Transgender Woman Murdered [UPDATED]

Post by JCady »

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/lo ... 9f8fca3018

I think it's safe to say that we know exactly who are at the top of the suspect list, and given the record of the Memphis Police it's also safe to say that they probably will get away with it.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: Transgender Woman Murdered

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Article quoted for Jacie wrote:MEMPHIS, TN – Duanna Johnson was found shot to death in North Memphis, according to her lawyer.

Memphis police say it happened just before midnight at Hollywood near Staten Avenue, Sunday, November 9, 2008.

According to detectives, when officers arrived at the scene, they found the body lying in the street. Police say a witness heard gunfire and then saw three people running away from the scene. Investigators do not have any suspects at this time.

Lawyer Murray Wells confirmed to Eyewitness News that the person who was killed is his client Duanna Johnson. He says Johnson was often in the area where she was killed.

Murray says Johnson was trying to leave Memphis and go back to her hometown of Chicago. According to Murray, Jonson was just about homeless trying to live in Memphis. He says the apartment where Jonson was living did not have power. Murray says he was helping Johnson buy a bus ticket to Chicago.

Johnson was the subject of an alleged video taped beating that happened in June of 2008. Johnson, who had been arrested on a prostitution charge, said former Memphis Police Officer Bridges McRae beat her after making derogatory remarks about her sexuality. Johnson said another man, Officer J. Swain, held her down during the beating. Both officers were fired from the department.

Johnson was suing the city for $1.3 million.

Memphis Police are asking anyone with information about Duanna Johnson’s death to call Crime Stoppers at (901) 528-CASH.

Incidentally, this is hardly uncommon--the USA accounts for half of all reported (granted, reported) murders of trangendered individuals in the entire WORLD. But perhaps that does drive things home..
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

JCady wrote:http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/lo ... 9f8fca3018

I think it's safe to say that we know exactly who are at the top of the suspect list, and given the record of the Memphis Police it's also safe to say that they probably will get away with it.
Just because she was suing over a violent incident with the Memphis police does not mean they killed her if that's what you're suggesting. I have no love for corrupt cops or police in general, but ideally there'd be some evidence they were involved in.

Regardless, its another act of pointless, tragic violence, and however unlikely I hope justice is done.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Why would the Memphis Police Department waste money on officers that they already fired?
Milites Astrum Exterminans
JCady
Padawan Learner

Post by JCady »

The Memphis PD has a long history of transphobia; the only reason they fired those guys was they were stupid enough to get caught making a completely unprovoked physical assault on a trans woman on video.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Romulan Republic wrote:

Just because she was suing over a violent incident with the Memphis police does not mean they killed her if that's what you're suggesting. I have no love for corrupt cops or police in general, but ideally there'd be some evidence they were involved in.

Regardless, its another act of pointless, tragic violence, and however unlikely I hope justice is done.
So here is someone with a definite motive, means, and opportunity, hell, even a Blue Wall to defend them from prosecution. If it looks like a duck... Sorry, but those fired cops are the most likely suspects and you know it.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
JCady
Padawan Learner

Post by JCady »

Basically, the probability of this being seriously investigated by the Memphis P.D. is about the same as the probability of a KKK lynching in the 1960s being seriously investigated. Namely, not a damned chance in hell.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So here is someone with a definite motive, means, and opportunity, hell, even a Blue Wall to defend them from prosecution. If it looks like a duck... Sorry, but those fired cops are the most likely suspects and you know it.
Of course they're the most likely based on the information currently available. I'm hardly defending a couple of abusive pieces of shit cops by cautioning against jumping to conclusion. Their is the whole "innocent until proven guilty" deal.

Yes, they should be investigated fully. And yes, if found guilty they should suffer the full penalty of the law. And perhaps I'm making too big a deal over the op's insinuation that they were probably guilty. But I've seen people jump on the presumed guilt bandwagon too many times. If I overreacted to or mischaracterized the op's statement, I apologise.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Is there any chance of getting the county or state cops to investigate?
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Of course they're the most likely based on the information currently available. I'm hardly defending a couple of abusive pieces of shit cops by cautioning against jumping to conclusion. Their is the whole "innocent until proven guilty" deal.

Yes, they should be investigated fully. And yes, if found guilty they should suffer the full penalty of the law. And perhaps I'm making too big a deal over the op's insinuation that they were probably guilty. But I've seen people jump on the presumed guilt bandwagon too many times. If I overreacted to or mischaracterized the op's statement, I apologise.
The problem is, given what Memphis (and indeed Southern in general) cops are like, it wont be investigated fully. I am almost tempted to put a 5 USD Pay Pal wager (as a board donation) on whether or not anyone is ever so much as arrested.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:

Incidentally, this is hardly uncommon--the USA accounts for half of all reported (granted, reported) murders of trangendered individuals in the entire WORLD. But perhaps that does drive things home..
Is that because we're backwards or because we report the things?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The problem is, given what Memphis (and indeed Southern in general) cops are like, it wont be investigated fully. I am almost tempted to put a 5 USD Pay Pal wager (as a board donation) on whether or not anyone is ever so much as arrested.
Frankly I can't think of a police department that isn't grossly corrupt. Is it possible that this case could be turned over to the FBI? How do the rules work regarding jurisdiction? My knowledge is sadly lacking in this aspect of the US Justice System.

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

And remember the poor transgengered woman was also a prostitute and black, so would be a low priority for most police.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Is it just me, or did the article go out of the way to only refer to her in the third person, and never with pronouns?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Is it just me, or did the article go out of the way to only refer to her in the third person, and never with pronouns?
Perhaps, if they did so I would consider it an improvement over using the wrong ones.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Don't jump to conclusions that the Memphis PD will fuck this one up because of your own preconceptions. Memphis is perhaps the most laid-back, liberal, rational city in TN. This type of murder, besides being heinous, will also receive national attention. I expect a fully competent prosecution, with the guilty parties identified and found guilty by a jury of their peers.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Edit: Alyrium, I'll take your bet. You win or I lose, $5 to The Mike Wong Foundation after the verdict is read. :)
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Knife wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Incidentally, this is hardly uncommon--the USA accounts for half of all reported (granted, reported) murders of trangendered individuals in the entire WORLD. But perhaps that does drive things home..
I suspect the lot of the transgendered is worse in many other nations - in our country these things are reported. In other places "shoot, shovel, shut up" might well prevail.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Count Chocula wrote:Edit: Alyrium, I'll take your bet. You win or I lose, $5 to The Mike Wong Foundation after the verdict is read. :)
Done

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Knife wrote:

I don't know. The statistic could either be good or bad.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

No doubt the former officers are on the list. But seeing as how she apparently was a sex-worker (based on the prostitution arrest), there are plenty of other potential suspects. Being a hooker is hardly a safe job; a gang related attack or robbery is at least as plausible at this point. They tend to attack those they perceive as weaker and a trans-woman would certainly qualify, assuming the murderers even knew.
Knife wrote:

I don't know. The statistic could either be good or bad.
Well, the US is probably going to generate a good chunk for both positive and negative reasons. We're advanced enough such procedures are possible, progressive enough these individuals can live semi-openly, and there are those that care. I doubt there are many other places that can say that outside Canada and a small-ish chunk of Europe. On the other hand, there are a lot of backwards people that commit crimes against them.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Is it just me, or did the article go out of the way to only refer to her in the third person, and never with pronouns?
Perhaps, if they did so I would consider it an improvement over using the wrong ones.
Did you two not read the article or something? Even counting when they were just saying her name they used the third person 11 times, while using a pronoun 7 times (and it was feminine, FYI).

That's going out of their way to "only refer to her in the third person, and never with pronouns" how, exactly?

As a caveat, I could have miscounted. But I should hope my point is clear.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
JCady
Padawan Learner

Post by JCady »

Big Orange wrote:And remember the poor transgengered woman was also a prostitute and black, so would be a low priority for most police.
She was not a prostitute. To the Memphis PD (as to most large city PDs), being nonpassing transgender and out after dark automatically makes you a prostitute, because obviously only a whore would dress like that in public. Especially transgender women of color, because it's "obvious" that they're "really" black men, and everyone "knows" black men are sex maniacs.

It's one of the most vicious bits of transphobia that people have to face every day. Just trying to be yourself makes you a criminal, not because you're doing anything that's the slightest bit suspicious but because you're a "perverted freak".
JCady
Padawan Learner

Post by JCady »

Stormbringer wrote:
No doubt the former officers are on the list. But seeing as how she apparently was a sex-worker (based on the prostitution arrest), there are plenty of other potential suspects. Being a hooker is hardly a safe job; a gang related attack or robbery is at least as plausible at this point. They tend to attack those they perceive as weaker and a trans-woman would certainly qualify, assuming the murderers even knew.
If you'd paid the slightest attention to the case, you'd notice that the police department dismissed all charges against her, because there was zero evidence whatsoever that she was a sex worker. The arrest was made purely on the discretion of the two officers who brutalized her, and it's blatantly obvious that they arrested her for no other reason than being bigoted mouth-breathing retards who wanted to play a little bit of "beat the crap out of the tranny freak".

And you know what? They pretty much got away with it -- they only lost their jobs, when they should be in prison for aggravated assault and battery.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

JCady wrote:
Big Orange wrote:And remember the poor transgengered woman was also a prostitute and black, so would be a low priority for most police.
She was not a prostitute.
Do you know her personally?
To the Memphis PD (as to most large city PDs), being nonpassing transgender and out after dark automatically makes you a prostitute, because obviously only a whore would dress like that in public. Especially transgender women of color, because it's "obvious" that they're "really" black men, and everyone "knows" black men are sex maniacs.
Also, to most large cities you need to offer sex for money to be considered a prostitute. So, how do you know she didn't do this?
It's one of the most vicious bits of transphobia that people have to face every day. Just trying to be yourself makes you a criminal, not because you're doing anything that's the slightest bit suspicious but because you're a "perverted freak".
So, you're saying that police in large cities specifically hunt down transgender people and then falsely accuses them of prostitution just for walking. They throw out the audio recordings that they use for normal prostitutes when dealing with transgender prostitutes?
Milites Astrum Exterminans