"Lipstick on a pig" - McCain pretends comment is a

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

"Lipstick on a pig" - McCain pretends comment is a

Post by Justforfun000 »

Will they stop at nothing? He apparently made the comment in reference to change because he even said another analogy afterwards about wrapping fish in new newspaper. He was referring to McCain's policies, but of course they HAD to lie and stir this up. :roll:

Linky

Sarah Palin 'lipstick pig' attack advert removed from YouTube after complaint
An official John McCain advert accusing Barack Obama of sexism has been removed from YouTube after complaints that it misuses quotes from a leading US news anchor.

By Matthew Moore
Last Updated: 3:06PM BST 11 Sep 2008
John McCain's attack video against Barack Obama - screengrab
The video is still prominent on the official John McCain website

The advert was made in response to a remark made by the Democratic candidate in which he appeared to compare Sarah Palin, Mr McCain's running mate, to a lipstick-wearing pig.

It features a brief quote from CBS news presenter Katie Couric attacking the “continued and accepted role of sexism in American life”.

The placing of the extract appears to imply that Couric was referring to Mr Obama’s jibe, when the clip was actually taken from a discussion recorded several weeks ago about the coverage of Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

The video has now been taken down by YouTube, which is owned by Google, after complaints from CBS.

Users clicking on the link are met with the message: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by CBS Interactive Inc."

The advert, which ends with a picture of Mr Obama and the words “Ready to lead? No. Ready to smear? Yes”, is still prominent on the official McCain campaign website, and duplicates have been uploaded onto YouTube by other users despite the CBS complaint.

Mr Obama has denied that his "lipstick pig" comment was a reference to Mrs Palin.

A CBS spokesman said: "CBS News does not endorse any candidate in the presidential race.

“Any use of CBS personnel in political advertising that suggests the contrary is misleading."
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

There's a word missing from your title.

At any rate, its a common expression, and while you shouldn't get worked up over it, I don't think it was that smart for Obama to use it. I remember when McCain used it about one of Hillary's ideas, I didn't think it went well.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:There's a word missing from your title.

At any rate, its a common expression, and while you shouldn't get worked up over it, I don't think it was that smart for Obama to use it. I remember when McCain used it about one of Hillary's ideas, I didn't think it went well.
Perhaps not smart, but the fact that McCain used the same thing to describe Hillary's proposals and got flustered when Obama used it too demonstrates the sheer blatant hypocrisy from McSame.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

I think Obama had a great response to all of this on Letterman: "Keep in mind that had I meant it this way, she'd be the lipstick ... The failed policies of John McCain would be the pig."
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I was talking to a conservative last night about this, and he insists that it's all a mind game by the Obama campaign to get the McCain camp all riled up. After all, given the thousands of possible euphemisms to use for "dressing up failed policies", why would Obama choose to use the only one that has lipstick in it, especially after Palin used the term in her acceptance speech? It can't be a coincidence.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Surlethe wrote:I was talking to a conservative last night about this, and he insists that it's all a mind game by the Obama campaign to get the McCain camp all riled up. After all, given the thousands of possible euphemisms to use for "dressing up failed policies", why would Obama choose to use the only one that has lipstick in it, especially after Palin used the term in her acceptance speech? It can't be a coincidence.
I'm sure he used the lipstick thing deliberately, they choose their words too carefully. I just don't think he's calling Palin a pig, since again, they choose their words too carefully.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Surlethe wrote:I was talking to a conservative last night about this, and he insists that it's all a mind game by the Obama campaign to get the McCain camp all riled up. After all, given the thousands of possible euphemisms to use for "dressing up failed policies", why would Obama choose to use the only one that has lipstick in it, especially after Palin used the term in her acceptance speech? It can't be a coincidence.
I'm sure he used the lipstick thing deliberately, they choose their words too carefully. I just don't think he's calling Palin a pig, since again, they choose their words too carefully.
I really don't think it requires any explanation other than coincidence. If it were something entirely thought out, like an ad, I would be more hesitant to attribute the wording to coincidence, but in this case Obama was speaking extemporaneously. It seems quite a stretch to pin the wording on him thinking, "Oh, I'll needle McCain a little bit" instead of simply using the first expression that came to mind to get his point across.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Yeah, I really didn't think he meant it in a gendered way. I've never really thought of "lipstick on a pig" as gendered at all; it's like "polish a turd" except you can say it on national TV.

I would vote for Obama five times if he said "polish a turd" on national TV.

Anyway, it reminds me of the time a few people accused Obama of sexism by saying that Hillary lashes out "periodically, when she's down". They thought he was accusing her of PMS. The difference here is that those people were feminists. The Republican party is a bunch of sexist, anti-choice, anti-feminist hypocrites.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

Metatwaddle wrote:The Republican party is a bunch of sexist, anti-choice, anti-feminist hypocrites.
But they have one of them women folk on the ticket. Checkmate. Now, king me.

How can it be gendered anyway? It's not, it doesn't mean anything to do with gender. Whether or not Palin used it before in reference to herself is irrelevant. The Obama camp has been accused of literally formulating a new meaning for a phrase around since at least the 80's (with tenuous links to as far back as the 20's) and doing such a good job of it, we all supposedly know what this new meaning is overnight (that is, Palin is a woman, wink wink nudge nudge).
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I suspect the accusations that it's gendered come from the fact that it's about lipstick, which is an exclusively female item...? I'm sorry, I'm not completely fluent in opportunist Republican doublethink.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Metatwaddle wrote:I suspect the accusations that it's gendered come from the fact that it's about lipstick, which is an exclusively female item...? I'm sorry, I'm not completely fluent in opportunist Republican doublethink.
Just remember, it's only sexist when Democrats do it! It's a-okay as long as the Republicans are the ones throwing the terminology about.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The truth is that it probably is sexist to some extent; it's a perfectly valid criticism of the republicans to point out they threw a frustrated librarian into the VP position much like the Wrestling federations out there throw women in PVC bikinis at events. She is a pretty face you can hide the total cuntery of the republicans behind to try and look like you're going to change shit. Personally, I would've said the exact same thing for a couple of reasons: 1) the "polish a turd" angle is true, 2) McCain already said it about Hillary and got away with it scot-free, and 3) it's quite plain she is ultimately a pig with a nice face.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I don't get how anyone who has the language comprehension of someone who managed to get out of middle school could take this to mean anything but that McCain's policies are the same as Bush's with just a little window dressing. You can sit there and watch it over and over again attempting to pull subtext out, but it's just not there. That this became an something even up for discussion shows the failure of our educational system.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Zuul wrote:The truth is that it probably is sexist to some extent; it's a perfectly valid criticism of the republicans to point out they threw a frustrated librarian into the VP position much like the Wrestling federations out there throw women in PVC bikinis at events. She is a pretty face you can hide the total cuntery of the republicans behind to try and look like you're going to change shit.
Yeah, it's a valid criticism of the Republicans. But the actual comment didn't mention Palin by name or in any other fashion. The context was this:
Obama wrote:Let's just list this for a second. John McCain says he's about change, too. Except -- and so I guess his whole angle is, "Watch out, George Bush, except for economic policy, health-care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy, and Karl Rove-style politics. We're really gonna shake things up in Washington." That's not change. That's just calling some -- the same thing, something different. But you know, you can -- you know, you can put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig."
Obama wasn't even referring to Palin in any way - he was simply accusing McCain of trying to make his Bushlike economic policies look like change.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

While it's true he didn't mention her, it is also true that he knows that she's easily the most talked about issue in american media at the moment and he also must've known this response was coming. He must've also known that McCain using the same statement against Hillary before was likely a nod-nod wink-wink sexist insult with the protection of the actual context.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Zuul wrote:While it's true he didn't mention her, it is also true that he knows that she's easily the most talked about issue in american media at the moment and he also must've known this response was coming. He must've also known that McCain using the same statement against Hillary before was likely a nod-nod wink-wink sexist insult with the protection of the actual context.
So you're saying that even though the context and content both had nothing to do with Palin, by using a very common phrase for exactly the type of thing he was talking about, he was actually taking a shot at her. I think you're really reading too much into an innocent statement.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:There's a word missing from your title.

So accusing Obama of being sexist because of this comment (which is clearly insane) is another example of a "moral choice" that you would agree with McCain on then?

EDIT: And by the way, let's not ignore the timing of this smear from McCain's camp. Obama said that he'd refrain from issuing a response until after the 9/11 anniversary, which leaves a full day for this bullshit to sink into people's heads without a response. In other words, McCain was counting on Obama running a respectable campaign and took advantage of it.

Scumbag.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Durandal wrote:
Scumbag.
Not surprising. I mean what is McCain's moral record?

Cheating on his first wife and leaving her in the hospital.

Being one of the Keating Five and partially responsible for the Savings and Loan fiasco in the 80s, for which the taxpayers shelled out over 100 billion dollars for.

Being cozy with lobbyists while decrying the influence of money on election campaigns.

Continuing to support deregulation which helped lead us to our current wave of collapses.

Violating the spirit and possibly the letter of the election law he helped put through by selectively being in and out of public financing at different times.

Either lying about or being ignorant of how the war is being conducted in Iraq while pushing for the continuation of the war and it's possible expansion.

His short fuse and impulsive nature, meaning he is likely to make rash and potentially extremely harmful decisions when in office.

His embrace of anti-choice and religious fundi groups.

His continuation of disasterous Republican budgeting policies.

Pretending to be against torture while voting to allow it.

His choice of an inexperience, vindictive, financially incompetent, religious hardliner under investigation for corruption as his VP who may also be a racist.

Pretending to desire a clean campaign while his campaign slings mud at Obama, including dog whistle adds and tv spots that attempt to paint him as a paedophile.

What kind of moral exemplar is that?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Will they stop at nothing? He apparently made the comment in reference to change because he even said another analogy afterwards about wrapping fish in new newspaper
Egad! Obama followed up by comparing Sarah Palin's to a fish wrapped in newspaper? Thats it I'm buying a guy, burning an abortion clinic down and kicking a muslim in the shins in response to 911 after that I'll vote for the jackass who keeps generating negative press about his own VP.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

When O'Rielly and Buchanan are calling it bullshit, you know it is manufactured bullshit.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Papa Bear called it BS? Haha. Where can I find that.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Not surprising. I mean what is McCain's moral record?

Cheating on his first wife and leaving her in the hospital.

Being one of the Keating Five and partially responsible for the Savings and Loan fiasco in the 80s, for which the taxpayers shelled out over 100 billion dollars for.

Being cozy with lobbyists while decrying the influence of money on election campaigns.

Continuing to support deregulation which helped lead us to our current wave of collapses.

Violating the spirit and possibly the letter of the election law he helped put through by selectively being in and out of public financing at different times.

Either lying about or being ignorant of how the war is being conducted in Iraq while pushing for the continuation of the war and it's possible expansion.

His short fuse and impulsive nature, meaning he is likely to make rash and potentially extremely harmful decisions when in office.

His embrace of anti-choice and religious fundi groups.

His continuation of disasterous Republican budgeting policies.

Pretending to be against torture while voting to allow it.

His choice of an inexperience, vindictive, financially incompetent, religious hardliner under investigation for corruption as his VP who may also be a racist.

Pretending to desire a clean campaign while his campaign slings mud at Obama, including dog whistle adds and tv spots that attempt to paint him as a paedophile.

What kind of moral exemplar is that?
Apparently CaptainChewbacca is voting for him, at least in part, because of his moral compass. I'm sure he can find a justification for every item on your list though.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Durandal wrote:
Apparently CaptainChewbacca is voting for him, at least in part, because of his moral compass. I'm sure he can find a justification for every item on your list though.
Well, since McCain's campaign chief said this election isn't about issues, Chewie can take that to heart, ignore the facts, and pull the lever for the guy who gives him the warm fuzzies instead of the guy who has a more substantive and reasonable plan to run the country well. Because performance in office is an issue.

Thank Chernobog that Chewie lives in Cali and not a swing state.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Oddly enough listening to the radio this morning McCain, in no great suprise, used the EXACt same phrase to describe some of Hillary Clinton's polciies during the primary and Cheney used the quote to describe Kerry. I will see if I can grab the source but the quote is something I've heard many a times before so I rather suspect its a common phrase.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Oddly enough listening to the radio this morning McCain, in no great suprise, used the EXACt same phrase to describe some of Hillary Clinton's polciies during the primary and Cheney used the quote to describe Kerry. I will see if I can grab the source but the quote is something I've heard many a times before so I rather suspect its a common phrase.
Hell, in 2003 it was in comedic poster form in the office I worked for gathering CDC health data, in the cube of the guy who had to maintain the computers. 'You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig' is a very old phrase.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter