Palin Discussion [split]

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

CNBC is reporting that Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is McCain's running mate.

McCain: I'm a giant fucking hypocrite because I'm running with somebody who has even less experience than Obama.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

cnn.com has confirmed Palin as the pick as well.

What the fuck is McCain thinking? I don't understand what Palin brings to the table at all - if anything, she hurts McCain. All the charges being thrown at Obama's inexperience now look extraordinarily hypocritical.
- Old Russian Saying
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

irishmick79 wrote:cnn.com has confirmed Palin as the pick as well.

What the fuck is McCain thinking? I don't understand what Palin brings to the table at all - if anything, she hurts McCain. All the charges being thrown at Obama's inexperience now look extraordinarily hypocritical.
I know nothing about her, so forgive my ignorance, but won't she bring a lot of women? The Dems couldn't give Hilliary the presidency, so giving a woman the VP slot is more progress than the Dems gave, and for the uneducated, angry Clinton masses, this is enough to give them an excuse to go McCain.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Because Obama and Co won't have the balls to come out and say, that a VP pick is very important in McCain's case, never mind assassins his heath has never been good. The man is in bad shape, when picking McCain's VP you might be picking your next President

AKA William Henry Harrison

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

CaptJodan wrote:

I know nothing about her, so forgive my ignorance, but won't she bring a lot of women? The Dems couldn't give Hilliary the presidency, so giving a woman the VP slot is more progress than the Dems gave, and for the uneducated, angry Clinton masses, this is enough to give them an excuse to go McCain.
I think that's what McCain is hoping for, but if he was interested in doing that there are a lot of more prominent female republicans he could have picked from who could bring more to the table than Palin does experience-wise.
- Old Russian Saying
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I think its a brilliant move. She's a whistleblower on Republican corruption, she's more conservative than McCain, she's a 44-year-old mother of FIVE (one of them was born WHILE she was governor), and she's for drilling in her home state.

She's got a more heartwarming story than Obama if that's possible, and she's going to bring in every suburban values voter and then some into the republican ticket. She neutralizes some of Obama's novelty as a 'first' in this election, and I think she can help McCain pick up a notable portion of the 'woman president' group.

Plus, if McCain wins, in 4 years the Republicans will be running a sitting female incumbent VP for President against Hillary Clinton, which will be... interesting.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Ghetto edit: Allow me to illustrate why she's so good for McCain in the eyes of the people:

Fishing

Nurturing

Girl-Next-Door & Former Beauty Queen Contestant

She out Hillary's Hillary as a female politician.
ImageImage
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

McCain just made a serious misstep, and I can only hope that the American people will eventually see that. Picking one's vice-president truly is a presidential decision, and it is blatantly clear that McCain has selected Palin to draw in female votes, and basically nothing else. Obama had the opportunity to pick Clinton, who would have likely had the largest positive impact of any in the field, and he chose Biden instead, because (I suspect) he knew that having two Clintons in the White House would have compromised his power as chief executive. Who's deserving of a chance to lead, indeed.

Beyond that, the Republicans just crippled their biggest avenue of attack against Obama; Palin has, what, two years as governor to her name? Although I have no doubt that they'll still attack him on the experience issue, they've given him an excellent counter.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I highly doubt that there's a big number of disgruntled Hillary voters who will jump to a McCain/Palin ticket simply because Palin happens to be female.

Although Palin's relative inepxerience can be an asset to them in a ways. When the Obama camp inevitably hurls charges of inexperience at her, the GOP can respond by simply saying "you're inexperienced too! You're just being sexist if you have a problem with this pick!" Then, the democrats look foolish when they have to try and respond to a ridiculous charge of sexism while claiming not to be inexperienced.
- Old Russian Saying
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I hate today. You'd think things would die down after the news broke, but no, still crazy. And I think Palin is a bad idea, given that state investigation thing. Call me crazy, but that seems to be a bit of a skeleton in the closet there.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Dalton wrote:I hate today. You'd think things would die down after the news broke, but no, still crazy. And I think Palin was a bad idea, given that state investigation thing. Call me crazy, but that seems to be a bit of a skeleton in the closet there.
Dang, Dalton. I can't imagine how many graphics you've had to make today. Did you get called in at the crack of dawn?

As far as the investigation, wasn't she one of the ones who blew the whistle on that whole thing?
ImageImage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

irishmick79 wrote:I highly doubt that there's a big number of disgruntled Hillary voters who will jump to a McCain/Palin ticket simply because Palin happens to be female.
I'd expect there's enough disgruntled Hillary fans who'd might wind up voting McSame to cost Obama one or two of the swing states, but not enough to affect the overall picture.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

General Zod wrote:
irishmick79 wrote:I highly doubt that there's a big number of disgruntled Hillary voters who will jump to a McCain/Palin ticket simply because Palin happens to be female.
I'd expect there's enough disgruntled Hillary fans who'd might wind up voting McSame to cost Obama one or two of the swing states, but not enough to affect the overall picture.
Maybe, but regardless, you can probably put money on the fact that the media outlets will do their best to highlight the "Republicans get women" issue to death. It allows them to continue to wank off to the same basic conflict they had during the Hillary/Obama run.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

CaptJodan wrote: Maybe, but regardless, you can probably put money on the fact that the media outlets will do their best to highlight the "Republicans get women" issue to death. It allows them to continue to wank off to the same basic conflict they had during the Hillary/Obama run.
At least it'll make them change their tune from the usual insipid "lol no experience" bullshit.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

So McCain picks his version of Ferraro because of what reason again?

Oh right, she's a woman, and she's in politics. Because obviously it will convince voters he's a maverick and ready to use his vast experience to lead America to another 4 glorious republican years.

Honestly if McCain wins, with the farce he's been handling this election, America will be even more the laughing stock of the world.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Dalton wrote:And I think Palin is a bad idea, given that state investigation thing. Call me crazy, but that seems to be a bit of a skeleton in the closet there.
Yeah, just a bit. She's currently being indicted for taking kickbacks from oil companies and she's faced several corruption charges in the past. I hope the Dems go to town on her.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Holy shit! She played highschool and college basketball, was Miss Congeniality, and her husband's a goddamn eskimo! You couldn't have made a more unlikely VP if you put a dictionary in a blender! She's also got a son in the army, and a baby son she gave birth to WHILE governor.
ImageImage
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

General Zod wrote:
CaptJodan wrote: Maybe, but regardless, you can probably put money on the fact that the media outlets will do their best to highlight the "Republicans get women" issue to death. It allows them to continue to wank off to the same basic conflict they had during the Hillary/Obama run.
At least it'll make them change their tune from the usual insipid "lol no experience" bullshit.
They'll still throw around the inexperience shit, but when the Dems try and throw it back they'll cry 'sexism!'

If McCain is picking Palin to attract female voters, can he be any more patronizing to women? To pick Palin, he passed over:
Condoleeza Rice
Christine Todd Whitman
Olympia Snowe
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Meg Whitman
Elizabeth Dole

Mind boggling, to say the least.
- Old Russian Saying
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

irishmick79 wrote: They'll still throw around the inexperience shit, but when the Dems try and throw it back they'll cry 'sexism!'
Perhaps. I'm sure someone will manage to spin it a way that can preemptively deflect sexism attacks if they're smart about it.
If McCain is picking Palin to attract female voters, can he be any more patronizing to women? To pick Palin, he passed over:
Condoleeza Rice
Christine Todd Whitman
Olympia Snowe
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Meg Whitman
Elizabeth Dole

Mind boggling, to say the least.
I don't think I'd ever even heard of Palin before this thread. But the fact that he passed over potential picks who were significantly more visible is mind-boggling.
Natorgator
Jedi Knight

Post by Natorgator »

She's there to shore up the base. This woman is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative and is staunchly republican from top to bottom. Hell, she's even involved in a scandal in which she tried to have her sister's ex husband fired from his state trooper job.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Natorgator wrote:She's there to shore up the base. This woman is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative and is staunchly republican from top to bottom. Hell, she's even involved in a scandal in which she tried to have her sister's ex husband fired from his state trooper job.
Do none of the other potential female candidates fit that bill? I'm really not seeing what she brings to the table here other than possibly some of the female vote.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Totally called this one.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Somewhere, the faint pop of Anne Coulter's head exploding can be heard.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Max wrote:Somewhere, the faint pop of Anne Coulter's head exploding can be heard.
I really dunno about this. I know neo-cons were on their knees, praying for Romney, but on the surface, she seems conservative enough for them.

I think it was a brilliant choice, except I'm not sure how formidable she is. It's pretty easy to imagine Biden utterly wiping the floor with her in the VP debate based on what I'm hearing now.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

reposted from the other thread
ray245 wrote:Looking at the other boards and juding at their view for the US elections...I am REALLY afriad that McCain can win...
I am too... At this very moment, I am positive millions of women across america are going "I was going to vote for Obama... But now Im going to vote for McCain! HEhas a women on HIS ticket!"

Because, you can NOT underestimate Americans stupidity
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!