Do you oppose the death penalty? If so, why?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

what's your position?

I support the death penalty on practical grounds: deterrance/ultimate separation from society
14%
I support the death penalty on moral grounds: some crimes deserve death
21%
I oppose the death penalty on practical grounds: too many innocents are executed
47%
I oppose the death penalty on moral grounds: no one deserves death
17%

Total votes: 145

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Do you oppose the death penalty? If so, why?

Post by Uraniun235 »

Inspired by the Texas home-defense thread.

I would personally prefer a general repeal of the death penalty, not because I think that it is wrong to put murderers to death, but because I feel that the probability of innocent people being executed is unacceptably high. I know that some people are in the same position as myself.

I also know that there are those who believe that ending a human life is always unacceptable no matter what, even if that guy had just killed a dozen children and said he thought it was so awesome he'd do it again.

And of course there are those who support the death penalty, either on perceived practical reasons (belief that the death penalty deters would-be criminals, or otherwise that it is the ultimate insurance that that person can never enter/threaten society again) or on perceived moral reasons (belief that some crimes deserve/demand the 'ultimate punishment').

Where do you stand on the issue?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I oppose it on practical grounds.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I oppose it on both moral and practical grounds.

Morally, I think the process of the state killing someone is repugnant. Plus there's the whole "killing is wrong unless we decide that someone should be killed" angle. Which isn't to say that if someone I loved or cared about was murdered I wouldn't want the son of a bitch to die.

Practically it doesn't seem to work as a deterrent, it costs more to execute someone than to keep them imprisoned for the rest of their life, and being run by human being, the legal process is flawed enough that the wrongly convicted have been and will be killed.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I oppose it since I don't think it actually works as a deterrent. However, I believe some types of criminals should be killed rather than imprisoned forever for practical reasons.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

I've yet to be convinced that capital punishment serves as a crime deterrent. But I'm not bothered in the slightest by the execution of those who actually have committed capital crimes. Those who unequivocally say that ALL human life is valuable often fail to consider that some humans have negative value, i.e., they're a detriment to everyone else. It's symptomatic of a cripplingly black/white view of the world and humanity. There are people out there who are absolute trash; refuse to be collected and disposed of. If they can't be rehabilitated, they must be contained or destroyed. That's not to say that "justice" is all about revenge and retribution. That's bullshit. Ideally, we would rehabilitate everyone and release them back into society. But we can't. Therefore, for the safety and happiness of those who haven't forfeited their rights as human beings by violating the rights of others, we're placed into a kind of ghetto damage control mode.

The obvious problem with this is that we can't reliably assess guilt, let alone a convict's capacity for rehabilitation. So while I don't have any moral problems with ending the life of a violent sociopath, I oppose capital punishment on practical grounds. One innocent person executed is one too many.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I support voluntary death penalties. The prisoner gets to choose life in prison or death.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Kinda both:

I oppose the way its currently implemented in some states and the lack of qualified legal counsel for those on trial in a lot of cases, but I do support it principle and think that there are indeed some crimes that merit only death.
IHMO, once we insure that the accused has access to effective counsel and gets a fair trial with no prosecutorial malpractice (such as withholding Brady material from the defense), then the DP can be implemented.

As far as the method itself, hanging worked for generations and it can work again.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I support it.

Why the hell should tax dollars that would be better spent on education be used to keep murderers, violent rapists and the like alive?

If you want to avoid innocent convictions, pass a law so that anyone that lies under oath, or withholds evidence, or otherwise obstructs justice to cause a guilty penalty and death, recieves the death penalty for it (they effectively commited murder) and no one will risk screwing up.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I trust in human error. If we are playing with punishments, Id rather avoid killing someone by mistake.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I would support it but for the fact that the justice system is in such a bad way, so my support is effectively suspended on practical grounds pending satisfactory reform.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Glocksman wrote:As far as the method itself, hanging worked for generations and it can work again.
The method of execution should be as quick, cheap and painless as possible. We're not in the business of making them suffer, after all. They're simply too dangerous to walk and too expensive to maintain for the remainder of their miserable lives. Neck-breaking, decapitation and strangulation aren't quick or painless (the brain takes a while to die even after everything else stops). I would rather they be shot in the head.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Allow the death penalty only if a higher standard of evidence is required to apply it. In short, after the trial determines guilt, sufficient evidence to ensure no screwups. Frankly, it's probably worth a few folks sitting in their concrete box for life to avoid any innocents being put to death.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Human error and the blindness of justice is too great to allow the Death Penalty. There is a reason why my state Michigan banned the death penalty.
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

I oppose it on both moral and practical gounds, though the latter reason is a lot more important.

Simply applying a higher standard of evidence is not, IMHO a useful approach: if you reduce the number of false posetives by increasing the burden of evidence, you will inevitably also reduce the number of true posetives at the same time -- not the ideal solution for the worst criminals.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Generally I'm opposed to it, but there are exceptions to every rule. There are some crimes like repeat child molestation or rape, and serial/mass murder where the rope applied to the neck is the only sure way to keep the scumbags from doing it again.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

The Death Penalty would be fine if it was applied fairly, meaning that being of a higher social class or being the Correct race would not be a factor in sentencing. In other words, I oppose the Death Penalty on practical grounds.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I'd like what (IIRC) the Israelis have got: no death penalty except in exceptional circumstances (ie legislated by parliament). It's what they did for Eichmann, I think, and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen to the like of Bryant or Arthur Millat.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Post by darthkommandant »

I support the death penalty for moral and practical reasons. Some crimes are so horrible that they require death. On the practical side some criminals are just too dangerous to be left alive or cannot be realistically rehibilitated. As for the method, it should be relatively painless and leave the organs in good enough shape for transplant so at least some use can be made from the criminal. A pistol shot to the head should be fine for this purpose.
Tiger II fanboy
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Post by darthkommandant »

Quick clarification: Those being executed should be only after the recipient of a fair trial with adequate legal council and a prosecution based primarily on concrete evidence. (DNA, ballistic tests, caught on video tape etc...)
Tiger II fanboy
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

I heard this somwhere and agree whit it.

If you support the death penalty for murder, and one innocent is executed.

Then YOU are guilty of murder, and buy logical extension should be executed.

I cannot agree whit the thought that a goverment has the right to kill.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Needs an 'other' option.

I oppose the death penalty on the basis that it is not evenhandedly administered, and that it is not enforced in such a way that the penalty varies in severity with the crime. The death penalty is therefore essentially arbitrary, and an arbitrary punishment, no matter how justified in the individual case, cannot be just. (Nor, for the US, can it be constitutional, because it falls under the category of 'unusual punishment'.)
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Oppose on moral and practical grounds.

It strikes me as wrong to say one thing, and do something else from (execute someone for murder).

Also, better to have 20 murderers in prison than one innocent executed. After years in prison you can, after a wrongful verdict, set someone free. After an execution that is a bit more difficult.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I support it because some sons of a bitches deserve killing. And lets be blunt, what the fuck are we going to do with some of these scum?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Oppose it.
Because the justice system is far from infallible and you can't 'un-kill someone'.

That, and I find no evidence it works as a deterrent.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

If there is substantial evidence or this is a repeated crime of substantial proportions, give these guys the bucket to kick. No mercy for them.

However, there is the problem of an imperfect justice system and such cases I believe that a benefit of doubt is required. However, I say in such cases, I think solitary confinement is required. If the person can't seem to be trusted to interact with others in a civilsed manner, confine them to a pit and just have a psychologist talk to them just to give them some degree of sanity.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia